Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 10:50 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,259 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Sorry Joe, Robert said it but I agree and I'm fully aware new car, not proper set up etc. I'd be careful just like you. But yes, of the brake earlier and on the throttle much earlier.

Just 0.02c from a fellow drover who didn't even drive a 991 on track yet.
I think Robert is mostly right, with a bit of a caveat that in this car you can go to full throttle relatively quickly because of weight balance. Also, trail-braking has a relatively narrow sweet spot - just a bit too much or too little, and it washes out, so fully using it requires commitment and experience. M3 was much easier to get trailbraking right.

Also, this car is just scary! It's not even the speed but rate of change of speed (braking and acceleration) - makes it hard to achieve consistency and makes driver second-guess committing to throttle or to brake release. For example, my issue is overbraking - know about it, see it on videos and data, but it's so hard to fix in practice.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:15 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
+1

I miss the good old days when several of my pals had the same DA system. We exchanged files frequently and I learned a LOT. Now that I'm racing and using a MoTeC system, I feel like an island no one can reach.
Motec, did you say Motec? Our CSR that supports about 20 Spec Racer Fords has just had us all upgrade to Motec with the new engine package, so all of us will get a data stick with everyone's data after every session- I might just have data overload this season!

I love all the data analysis- came late to the party here and you guys all had fun disecting it already, so I'll leave my comments more to sharing some of my experience.

My 911 learning curve had me doing a lot of autocrossing that I think translates directly to confidence on the track- in some cases too much confidence! You will get a feel for that lump out in back and really learn how to use it in braking and cornering. Just a suggestion- won't help with turn 1 though, that's just experience and confidence that the car won't bite you at 100mph!
Old 02-15-2015, 11:53 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,119 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium

Chris, your analysis for Joe was brilliant! Can I send you my files and get the same? I'll pay you!
Lol. But my capabilities here are entry level at best. The race forum, aim website, and a couple of the vendors here taught me a lot.

Will trade for right seat time :-)
Old 02-19-2015, 10:03 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Enjoyed following along, lots of valuable information. Quick question regarding the rennline toe hook you have. I recently purchased it and been having some fun with the gopro mounted. How many of the nylon washers did you leave on the toe hook when screwing it in?
Old 02-19-2015, 11:24 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Gt3Fan
Enjoyed following along, lots of valuable information. Quick question regarding the rennline toe hook you have. I recently purchased it and been having some fun with the gopro mounted. How many of the nylon washers did you leave on the toe hook when screwing it in?
Thanks!

I used 3 nylon washers
Attached Images  
Old 02-19-2015, 11:43 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Thanks!

I used 3 nylon washers
Appreciated, thank you. Are you just leaving on the car most of the time, or only putting in on for track days?
Old 02-19-2015, 11:48 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Gt3Fan
Appreciated, thank you. Are you just leaving on the car most of the time, or only putting in on for track days?
Just for track days.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:51 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Just for track days.
I leave mine on all the time. Mostly out of laziness.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:01 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Interesting note on the MPSC2 that I noticed after reviewing the data:

The tires hold peak 1.3Gs when they are new, but drop down to 1.1Gs after 12 heat cycles. I was surprised to see the difference after reviewing, but unless my calibration of the accelerometer is wrong, I only had good grip for 2 out of 4 track days that the tires lasted me.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:08 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

The tires hold peak 1.3Gs when they are new, but drop down to 1.1Gs after 12 heat cycles. I was surprised to see the difference after reviewing, but unless my calibration of the accelerometer is wrong, I only had good grip for 2 out of 4 track days that the tires lasted me.
Ouch, my wallet.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:41 AM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

At the pace you're going now, getting more than 2 good/fast days will be tough. You can still do more days but know what you'll have to work much harder for possibly slower times. Still fun to learn that way though.

My favorite session that I can recall was a couple of months ago when I ran a 2:01.35 with the original street PS2's that had trackdays and backroads and street driving on them. Not only were they hardened but also had a 200lb+ friend in the car.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:30 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Ouch, my wallet.
yup.

Originally Posted by RobertR1
At the pace you're going now, getting more than 2 good/fast days will be tough. You can still do more days but know what you'll have to work much harder for possibly slower times. Still fun to learn that way though.

My favorite session that I can recall was a couple of months ago when I ran a 2:01.35 with the original street PS2's that had trackdays and backroads and street driving on them. Not only were they hardened but also had a 200lb+ friend in the car.
Youre right. It is what it is. I may have to try trofeo Rs one of these days to see if they last more heat cycles. I care more about consistent performance after many heat cycles than ultimate grip...
Old 02-20-2015, 01:52 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Upon closer review, the drop in grip isn't quite as dramatic. It looks like it's closer to .05-.1G drop at the most. Not that bad...
Old 02-22-2015, 01:42 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Pics of my tires after 4 track days and 560 track miles. 21 heat cycles. Judging by the wear pattern, the car could use a bit more negative camber up front than -2.7, and a more negative camber in the rear than -2.4.

Front:

Rear still looks usable. Needs more camber.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:12 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

Flip fronts and add camber.
I want to see how much more they go before cords.

Looks like a great tire.
More front wear than rear, so weird.

Maybe the better RS balance will even out the wear..

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal