Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015 | 01:44 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Neat video. Just one minor note. It seems pretty unsafe to be taking pictures as a passenger on the track. I'm a little surprised they didn't black flag you for that.
I'm not taking pictures. I'm trying to set up the stupid Porsche track app and you're watching me trying to put the phone back onto the mount. That is the only way to do it because you need to place markers manually on the app since Sonoma and Thunderhill are not preprogrammed tracks (only Laguna is preprogrammed). It would be worse if I tried to do that as the driver! Lol

You only need to do it once, but who knows if I will ever use that app again. Highly unlikely unless Porsche comes out with some amazing update.
Old 02-10-2015 | 05:51 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
your are correct. sonoma and LS last year they only had one run group in the day. it's not a GGR even per se.

i am hoping they will have the entire day at sonoma and LS this year

yes you can.
in one morning i went from beginner to red group ;-)
i know several others who did that too.
I always start in the red group because I drive FLATOUT.

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Video as we go out for a quick run to setup the Porsche track app on the iphone. The speed differential between the other cars on track is stunning. 997.2 GT3 RS at 2:00

What Porsche track app, I see nothing, is that the point?

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I'm not taking pictures. I'm trying to set up the stupid Porsche track app and you're watching me trying to put the phone back onto the mount. That is the only way to do it because you need to place markers manually on the app since Sonoma and Thunderhill are not preprogrammed tracks (only Laguna is preprogrammed). It would be worse if I tried to do that as the driver! Lol

You only need to do it once, but who knows if I will ever use that app again. Highly unlikely unless Porsche comes out with some amazing update.
Track app is confirmed to be ****e?
Old 02-10-2015 | 06:30 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I always start in the red group because I drive FLATOUT.

What Porsche track app, I see nothing, is that the point?
Yup. You can't export video.

Track app is confirmed to be ****e?
Total. Garbage. Do not option it on a GT3 or GT4. Waste of money.
Old 02-10-2015 | 08:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Thanks Joe, appreciate the proper testing. VBox HD it is for the RS flatout video's.
Old 02-10-2015 | 08:13 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Following Montoya's lead, I went ahead and opened up the pass through for the passenger cushion today. It really is straight forward. The only tough part is sewing the velcro back on, as the velco barbs catch the thread and jumbles it up. I took some pictures will do a DIY here:

Take out the passenger cushion and flip it over. You'll see that the alcantara fabric has been sewn together and sewn to the velcro. This needs to be taken apart.

Release the thread that is holding the velcro and the alcantara fabric together

Pull out the thread and detach the velcro.

You have an opening from the bottom side.

Now flip the cushion over and spread apart the seam to see the threads

Now release the threads that are sealing the pass through from the top starting from the center. Once you release a few, they will start to unravel. You will know when to stop and have reached the edge when you reach thread that no longer unravels under tension.

The pass through is now fully open.

Now you want to sew one flap of the alacantara back to the cushion:

Now sew the velcro back on onto the other alcantara flap. This is the most tedious part of the project since the barbs snag the thread and make things a PITA:

Finished product:

Next up is cutting the hole in the shell. Now I need the Cantrell to cage to arrive and for someone to make some antisub bars!!!
Old 02-10-2015 | 08:35 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Another "small" oversight by Porsche, like the non existing CS mounting plates and CS package in a box. Cant have everything for $130K I guess.
Old 02-10-2015 | 08:42 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

That's awesome. I assume you prefer the curved needle and using forceps as part of your technique :-) Just like stitching up a leg LOL.
Old 02-10-2015 | 08:47 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Joe, appreciate the proper testing. VBox HD it is for the RS flatout video's.
Yeah, think of Harry's laptimer, except HLT is much better and and MUCH MUCH cheaper.

Another "small" oversight by Porsche, like the non existing CS mounting plates and CS package in a box. Cant have everything for $130K I guess.
I would love to know why Porsche did this to the US spec seats. There has to be a legitimate reason due to silly DOT regulations. It's not because of the occupancy sensor.

Originally Posted by Spyerx
That's awesome. I assume you prefer the curved needle and using forceps as part of your technique :-) Just like stitching up a leg LOL.
LOL. Yeah, I couldn't deal with the straight needles in my wife's sewing kit, so I bent the needle and brought out a needle driver. Much better. LOL.
Old 02-10-2015 | 09:48 PM
Tosilog
Racer

Joe, so did you flush/bleed your OEM brake fluid after your first track day/weekend?
Old 02-10-2015 | 10:02 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tosilog
Joe, so did you flush/bleed your OEM brake fluid after your first track day/weekend?
Nope. 2 track days on OEM fluid. So far so good. Laguna will be the real test, but I think it will pass the test. The iron brakes are nicely sized and have enough heat capacity. No discoloration of the calipers yet either.
Old 02-10-2015 | 10:21 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Well done doc. I need a surgeons suture needle.
Old 02-10-2015 | 10:58 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

^ Joe- nice pics. But you created extra work for yourself. Just cut one end of the alcantra fabric off of the velcro, leaving the other side sewn on so you don't have to resew it on. The alcantara fabric is synthetic so the cut edge is fine, as long as you use a sharp scissor.

Then, I think the open tab doesn't need to be sewn back on the cushion, I just left it loose, it seems like with the belt in place it's not going anywhere, and the other end with the velcro pulled back and placed on the seat keeps them seperated. Nice work though and very neat!

Here's a pic on the seperating the velcro from the two pieces just by cutting one end off:
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1631
Size:  134.2 KB
Old 02-10-2015 | 10:58 PM
Tosilog
Racer

What is the GT3's stock OEM brake fluid? Is it the same as the 991 Carrera S'?
Old 02-10-2015 | 11:07 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by montoya
^ Joe- nice pics. But you created extra work for yourself. Just cut one end of the alcantra fabric off of the velcro, leaving the other side sewn on so you don't have to resew it on. The alcantara fabric is synthetic so the cut edge is fine, as long as you use a sharp scissor. Then, I thing the open tab doesn't need to be sewn back on the cushion, I just left it loose, it seems like with the belt in place it's not going anywhere, and the other end with the velcro pulled back and placed on the seat keeps them seperated. Nice work though and very neat! Here's a pic on the seperating the velcro from the two pieces just by cutting one end off:
Ugh. I could have done without having to sew that Velcro back on. It was a pita. Thanks for letting us know!

Originally Posted by Tosilog
What is the GT3's stock OEM brake fluid? Is it the same as the 991 Carrera S'?
Good question. I don't know.
Old 02-14-2015 | 12:23 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Did another day at Thunderhill today on the 3 mile course using the cyclone. 1:58 consistently all day, best of 1:58.5. I just can't break into 1:57. Theoretical best is 1:57.1. I'm having a hard time with consistency of corner entry at this pace. The counterclockwise direction of the track is really killing the outer edges of the tires on the passenger side, but the driver side looks ok (still more wear on the outside, but not as bad). I'll have to flip tires before my next track day on Monday. The MPSC2 are NOT directional, right? It's looking like these tires might only last me 5 track days...

Last edited by orthojoe; 02-14-2015 at 01:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal