Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 01:34 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe

3) Alignment. After I went in to fix the rear toe, it was noted that the supension still settled at bit. Actual alignment numbers were zero toe front, 4mm total toe rear, -2.7 camber front, -2.4 camber rear. Front and rear sway bars in the middle position. The car drives near neutral with this. A touch of understeer at corner entry, and a touch of oversteer at corner exit. It's perfect. The only thing that needs to be changed is the rear camber. Keep in mind, my goal is EVEN tire wear, not ultimate grip. The front tires are wearing evenly, but the rear is still wearing a bit on the outer edge. I think I'll have the rear camber increased further to -2.6 or -2.7 (I should have just listened to Sam!)
Sorry for my ignorance, but I am relatively new to this and am trying to understand the idea behind the toe of 4mm at the rear. I am assuming it would be an outward facing toe to decrease mid corner oversteer at the limit, is that correct? Does this cause uneven wear for street use? I also wonder how active rear steering would affect the behavior of the tail at the limit, especially below 50mph when its turing the opposite direction.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:59 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Shop recently pulled all rubber out of 991 gt3, forged cup parts, some custom monoballs, etc. Comment from chassis guru is stock dampers are quite good, car is much more responsive and not harsh with the monoballs. They also did the muffler side deletes (same trick from the 997 cars)
Attached Images  
Old 02-01-2015, 02:30 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by gago1101
Sorry for my ignorance, but I am relatively new to this and am trying to understand the idea behind the toe of 4mm at the rear. I am assuming it would be an outward facing toe to decrease mid corner oversteer at the limit, is that correct? Does this cause uneven wear for street use? I also wonder how active rear steering would affect the behavior of the tail at the limit, especially below 50mph when its turing the opposite direction.
No need for apologies. I clearly don't understand how it works either. It's actually 4mm total toe IN, not OUT. Maybe someone who understands these things can chime in?

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Shop recently pulled all rubber out of 991 gt3, forged cup parts, some custom monoballs, etc. Comment from chassis guru is stock dampers are quite good, car is much more responsive and not harsh with the monoballs. They also did the muffler side deletes (same trick from the 997 cars)
:drool: Sweet!!!
Old 02-01-2015, 02:38 PM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
That's somewhat speculative, since identical scenarios minus the roll bars didn't occur. But given what happened with the roll bars, risk of injury or death does seem to have been substantially reduced. Fatalities at track events are relatively rare though, very sadly, we've already had one RL member experience fatal injury at a track event in his 991 GT3.
I'm sorry to hear this. Who was the member? Did I miss it, was there a memorial thread for him? If so, I'd certainly like to pay my respects. That is really sad, my condolences to his friends and family.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:00 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Crap. I just sat down tonight thought about the track day and just realized that I never bothered to push the stupid PASM button to put the suspension into sport mode. Any opinions on whether it makes a difference in terms of lap times?
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
The 997 was fester in soft Pasm mode on many tracks.
I don't think it matters much.
I am faster in soft (by a fraction) for sure but I only tried at MSR Cresson, which has many tight corners, where the difference between suspension settings is mildly noticeable.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:23 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

No need for apologies. I clearly don't understand how it works either. It's actually 4mm total toe IN, not OUT. Maybe someone who understands these things can chime in?
I'm not a suspension expert, but I built a functioning variable ratio transmission and an atomic clock among other things as school projects couple of decades ago, so I have some degree of physics and engineering knowledge to try to explain this. Basically, toe-in causes each wheel to push towards the center of the car. When going straight, this push cancels out. But when you turn, car's weight shifts to the outside wheel, and thus the outside wheel pushes in stronger than the inside wheel. With rear toe in, it basically pushes the rear inside the turn, helping prevent it from stepping out. It's somewhat similar to rear wheel steer, but instead of turning wheels, it's just shifting weight (and thus traction) between already slightly turned wheels. This is especially meaningful when straight line braking - the car will try to turn because of uneven friction and level of track, but rear with a bit of toe in will naturally counter those wiggles, given that front wheels are static.

Now if you have toe out at the rear, you have the opposite effect. And even though that can help with making the car rotate more, it's not worth it because it creates natural instability when braking.
The following users liked this post:
WP0 (04-05-2020)
Old 02-02-2015, 01:27 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Cool, something to think about. May I ask the cost?
Old 02-02-2015, 01:40 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Thanks, max. That makes sense!
Old 02-02-2015, 02:01 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Cool, something to think about. May I ask the cost?
I'm not sure, I'm dropping my RS off tomorrow for some pre COTA maintenance will ask.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:29 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Now if you have toe out at the rear, you have the opposite effect. And even though that can help with making the car rotate more, it's not worth it because it creates natural instability when braking.
Thanks for the explanation Max. Is the active rear steering in the GT3 trying to achieve the same thing? stability above 50mph (steering the same direction similar to toe in) and rotation below 50 mph (steering the opposite direction, similar to toe out)

Edit: After doing some research in the forum, I see that the 4mm toe has been the setup that many ran the 997 GT3s. I wonder how the active steering will change things.

Last edited by gago1101; 02-02-2015 at 02:58 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:52 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's somewhat speculative, since identical scenarios minus the roll bars didn't occur. But given what happened with the roll bars, risk of injury or death does seem to have been substantially reduced. Fatalities at track events are relatively rare though, very sadly, we've already had one RL member experience fatal injury at a track event in his 991 GT3.
Wow that's really sad.. When was that?
Old 02-02-2015, 10:13 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
I'm sorry to hear this. Who was the member? Did I miss it, was there a memorial thread for him? If so, I'd certainly like to pay my respects. That is really sad, my condolences to his friends and family.
Originally Posted by Shahano
Wow that's really sad.. When was that?
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...-died-rip.html
Old 02-02-2015, 11:09 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gago1101
Thanks for the explanation Max. Is the active rear steering in the GT3 trying to achieve the same thing? stability above 50mph (steering the same direction similar to toe in) and rotation below 50 mph (steering the opposite direction, similar to toe out) Edit: After doing some research in the forum, I see that the 4mm toe has been the setup that many ran the 997 GT3s. I wonder how the active steering will change things.
Factory specs ask for toe in at the rear in the 991 as well. It would be interesting to see how changes in toe affect cornering. However, I don't think the RWS system would change the instability one would get under straight line braking with zero toe. Something which is very unnerving, and I didn't want to experiment with.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:03 PM
gled
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the stock toe setting in the rear? The 1.5* rear steer max is about 2mm. So the 4 mm total toe is maintained, but now all 4 mm is on the outside and basically 0* on the inside. Of course no dynamic effects are considered here. We always set between 2mm and 7 mm in old 911s based on open vs LSD. Less toe in with LSD. Very interesting stuff! Gordon
Old 02-02-2015, 06:04 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gled
What is the stock toe setting in the rear? The 1.5* rear steer max is about 2mm. So the 4 mm total toe is maintained, but now all 4 mm is on the outside and basically 0* on the inside. Of course no dynamic effects are considered here. We always set between 2mm and 7 mm in old 911s based on open vs LSD. Less toe in with LSD. Very interesting stuff! Gordon
My car was set with 4mm total toe in at the rear from the factory.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal