Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 11:51 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ToyGuyAZ
This is probably posted somewhere but what are you using for the camera and video with data overlay?
1) Gopro cameras link via wifi remote for video
2) external mic for audio
3) Aim Solo DL for data acquistion
4) Adobe premier elements to merge video
5) Dashware for data overlay

I'll mention my Porsche track app experience again even though I posted it in another thread:

Just got back from the track today and this was the result of my track app experience today:

1) 1st session I couldn't log anything because the track had to be learned/programmed
2) 2nd session the program overlayed my data over OLD VIDEO from a DIFFERENT track from a DIFFERENT day 2 weeks ago
3) 3rd session worked, but I couldn't find the video of my best lap because they don't mark what your lap time is until you watch the very end of each lap
4) 4th session it recorded the first lap and then stopped working

I'm done with even trying to get this damn thing to work. Solo DL FTW.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:57 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

Love it!

It's lonely at the top... or middle or bottom... That is one of the reasons why I went racing with the SRF. When you're circulating by yourself there is a joy in perfecting your laps, but nothing in comparison to being on the track with others at the same pace.

Clear bra on the fenders I assume- I look at the spray pattern and wonder why there is not a mud flap available for the front and rear. It doesn't need to be large, just something that keeps direct blast of road debris from the rear leading edges of the fenders and consequently the front from having a direct shot at the rear fender. Like 1.5" below the fender and just wide enough to match the width of the tires. Anyone have a lead on something like that? I might experiment on my own, I've looked and come up empty.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:01 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

Originally Posted by gago1101
Never driven at the thill, but looks like an awesome track. 3/13 is a Friday, a little tough, but I'll see if I can make it. I do want to have about at least 800 miles before opening it up. I will be driving it up from LA when I get it, so I think I should be okay in terms of miles.
if u never done Thunderhill and coming up,from la do 3/26-29
at the min do 3/28-29 with PCA GGR
one day is tough to remener the track
Old 02-08-2015, 12:31 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Cool! It's a long drive from socal for sure. Let me know if you decide to make it up!

Nice! With the new car?
Hopefully. The ship just docked in panama. PFCs in my garage ready to be installed.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:46 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by montoya
Love it! It's lonely at the top... or middle or bottom... That is one of the reasons why I went racing with the SRF. When you're circulating by yourself there is a joy in perfecting your laps, but nothing in comparison to being on the track with others at the same pace. Clear bra on the fenders I assume- I look at the spray pattern and wonder why there is not a mud flap available for the front and rear. It doesn't need to be large, just something that keeps direct blast of road debris from the rear leading edges of the fenders and consequently the front from having a direct shot at the rear fender. Like 1.5" below the fender and just wide enough to match the width of the tires. Anyone have a lead on something like that? I might experiment on my own, I've looked and come up empty.
Thanks. The solution to the 'problem' is to get more 991 GT3s our there!
Yes, the fenders have clear bra. Flaps wouldn't be a bad idea.

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Hopefully. The ship just docked in panama. PFCs in my garage ready to be installed.
Sweet!
Old 02-08-2015, 01:01 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by gago1101
Never driven at the thill, but looks like an awesome track. 3/13 is a Friday, a little tough, but I'll see if I can make it. I do want to have about at least 800 miles before opening it up. I will be driving it up from LA when I get it, so I think I should be okay in terms of miles.
c'mon up, will be several of us from SoCal up there 3/26-29
Old 02-08-2015, 02:24 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

One issue I'm still having with the car is the braking zones. The car can brake better than I think, but the closing speeds are crazy fast and my self preservation instincts keep on having me brake too early and I find myself coasting into the turns...
Old 02-08-2015, 04:21 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

1) Street driving really is uneventful. The car behaves extremely docile at street speeds. It makes for a nice drive home from the track, but if you are just driving around town and looking for an experience, I think you will be disappointed. Sure it's fun to run up the engine here and there, but that's few and far in between with speed limits and traffic. It's more fun for me to tool around in the BRZ or spyder since I can at least wring out the engine and use a manual. The car CAN be used as a DD, but IMO it's a waste of miles on the car unless you have a commute with open roads. However, this works out just fine for me as I don't use the car as a DD.
I imagine that track guys will feel this more acutely, especially after tracking this particular car.

So for guys who don't drive on the track, but have the 991 GT3 or are considering getting one, I no longer know what to suggest. Tracking the car at least once could provide a chance to enjoy the experience of what the car can do, but it could also render subsequent road driving less satisfying.

For the road, this thing calls to me (sorry to go OT):

Old 02-08-2015, 07:11 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol!

Actually, I'm not a fan of the combo bike days. Not because of the bikes, but because tmr only has 2 run groups. That means limited spots. That means people start shoe horning themselves into run groups that they are NOT qualified for, but think they'll be ok. That means they get in over their head. That means unsafe driving and lots of crashes. It was really bad the last time I was there.
It's great for the bikers as we get to ride our bikes and then sponge a lift in a high performance sports car! This is how I came across the GT3 actually.
To your point about the groups I find that bike only days are when the crashes occur and they always seem to occur in the B group. Guys in A group are just stupid fast - if you have to ask if you're fast enough for A group - you're NOT!! So you get fast guys in B group plus the young bucks who are not good / fast enough for B group but to embarrassed to go into C group and You end up with a large cross section of talent / skills.
I have to say of the 3 or 4 car track days that I've seen (not participated in) I thought that everybody was very polite and well mannered on track with the point bys, etc. For the better drivers I can imagine those red dots meaning you can only pass if I point you through could be annoying though. Maybe they're just in the C group?
Old 02-08-2015, 08:00 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

in many organization point by is not mandatory, but unless I know u, I will not pass u without poing by unless it's a loooong straight. bc I don't know if u actually saw me. and u may inadvertently turn down into me mid turn. I'm not racing for lemans. I don't take unnecessary chances. those who insist open passing is he way to go, should go racing bc like u saod, u are never fast enough. someone out there will be faster than u.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:42 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
in many organization point by is not mandatory, but unless I know u, I will not pass u without poing by unless it's a loooong straight. bc I don't know if u actually saw me. and u may inadvertently turn down into me mid turn. I'm not racing for lemans. I don't take unnecessary chances. those who insist open passing is he way to go, should go racing bc like u saod, u are never fast enough. someone out there will be faster than u.
This is why I like the advanced intermediate groups, especially with a group I'm not familiar with, point by required.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:54 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Manifold
I imagine that track guys will feel this more acutely, especially after tracking this particular car.

So for guys who don't drive on the track, but have the 991 GT3 or are considering getting one, I no longer know what to suggest. Tracking the car at least once could provide a chance to enjoy the experience of what the car can do, but it could also render subsequent road driving less satisfying.

For the road, this thing calls to me (sorry to go OT):
The new MX5 does look like a fun street car.

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
It's great for the bikers as we get to ride our bikes and then sponge a lift in a high performance sports car! This is how I came across the GT3 actually.
To your point about the groups I find that bike only days are when the crashes occur and they always seem to occur in the B group. Guys in A group are just stupid fast - if you have to ask if you're fast enough for A group - you're NOT!! So you get fast guys in B group plus the young bucks who are not good / fast enough for B group but to embarrassed to go into C group and You end up with a large cross section of talent / skills.
I have to say of the 3 or 4 car track days that I've seen (not participated in) I thought that everybody was very polite and well mannered on track with the point bys, etc. For the better drivers I can imagine those red dots meaning you can only pass if I point you through could be annoying though. Maybe they're just in the C group?
During TMR's dual track days they only have 2 runs groups. Their 'mixed' group which is high intermediate pointby mixed with advanced open passing, and they have their advance open passing. This is generally the 'dangerous' group because people with little experience think that they can 'sneak by' and be ok even though they belong in novice/low intermediate. Not the case. They get in over their head, drive their mirrors, and crash. The problem is there is no vetting process. You just sign up for whatever run group you think you belong in, and nobody second guesses you. I've heard of first timers signing up for advanced groups because they think they're 'good'.

Originally Posted by mooty
Originally Posted by Spyerx
This is why I like the advanced intermediate groups, especially with a group I'm not familiar with, point by required.
I prefer open passing groups, but NOT because of the open passing. In fact, 95% of the time point bys still occur in the open passing groups. I prefer open passing because it selects out the dopes and yahoos and what you get is a good group of people who are aware, courteous, and experienced. My experience has been that the lower the run group, the more erratic and dangerous it gets.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:00 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Some other things to note for the journal:

1) 2 track days and the car has burned through 1 quart of oil so far

2) I still get intermittent white smoke on startup. Does this ever stop? I remember this issue when I first got my spyder, but it stopped several months after ownership

3) Here are the pics of my tires after 2 track days and 290 track miles. These tires seem to handle the heat longer than the NT01s do, which is nice because you get good grip for most of the session rather than falling off after 5 laps with the NT01.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:07 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I prefer open passing groups, but NOT because of the open passing. In fact, 95% of the time point bys still occur in the open passing groups. I prefer open passing because it selects out the dopes and yahoos and what you get is a good group of people who are aware, courteous, and experienced. My experience has been that the lower the run group, the more erratic and dangerous it gets.
100% agree. This is why I don't run PCA. I have no interest in going back to the beginning because they have stupid rules about how long you have to drive with them before moving to open passing groups. I don't want to drive with a bunch of stodgy old men who care more about their egos and their old cars than having fun. What's great about about most of the open passing groups at least in NorCal (HOD, NCRC, TMR, etc) is that nearly every still gives point-bys, eases off the gas, and moves off the line. It's extremely rare to come across someone who blocks or drives erratically.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:13 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
100% agree. This is why I don't run PCA. I have no interest in going back to the beginning because they have stupid rules about how long you have to drive with them before moving to open passing groups. I don't want to drive with a bunch of stodgy old men who care more about their egos and their old cars than having fun. What's great about about most of the open passing groups at least in NorCal (HOD, NCRC, TMR, etc) is that nearly every still gives point-bys, eases off the gas, and moves off the line. It's extremely rare to come across someone who blocks or drives erratically.
While it is a PITA to have to 'prove yourself' to PCA, I will defend them in that they are the ONLY group left that will at least try to vet you to determine the proper run group. If everyone did it this way, there wouldn't be dangerous behavior in the lower/point-by groups, so I don't have a problem with it. There are certainly flaws and potential issues with this in terms of run group placement not being totally objective and preferential treatment, but I guess I'd rather deal with that than people signing up for too high of a run group. I still have to do a GGR event....

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal