Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 12:20 AM
rookie1
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome information and video, thanks orthojoe

BTW: Is it expected that the sound is only mono (only left channel) in the video?
Old 01-27-2015, 12:28 AM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Great video, makes me think I need to try the tow hook gopro mount.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:24 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by john weires
Great collection of cars.
Nice garage and lift too!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Manifold
Good stuff! My first track day with the GT3 will be in a month, so time to start getting the car ready.

Your G-meter is showing peaks of around 1.5 G, which is rather high. How does that compare with the G-meter built into the car?
Thanks for asking. I never bothered to check. This is the peak G that the car logged:

I don't put much stock in peak Gs only because you can get spikes from banked/cambered corners and hitting berms. I like looking at sustained Gs, but I can't tell what the real limit is since it doesn't look like I'm hitting it yet. I'm guessing it's between 1.3-1.4 Gs, which is more than the spyder on NT01, which will start to break away at 1.3 Gs. In the GT3, there is no sign of break away with 1.3Gs. Actually, based on the braking force Gs, it could be a 1.4G limit...

The lap time delta compared to the Cayman is about what I expected for a 2-min track, and pretty huge. Translates to a delta of about 25 s at the 'ring. And of course the delta will be bigger when you have more seat time in the car. Did you run with PSM on?
Yes. Never interfered unless things really started to get hairy.

Did you change the oil before tracking it?
No. Plan to do it after the next track day.

Looking at the owner's manual and race track manual, Porsche says that the factory alignment (-1.5 cambers) is good for both the road and track, and seems to discourage changing it. And a pro racer I spoke with who has a 991 GT3 also suggested leaving the alignment at the factory settings for the track. But your cambers of about -2.5 sound more reasonable to me, based on my experience with the 997 and Cayman. Like you, I'm willing to give up a bit of grip to even out the tire wear and get more life out of them, given how expensive they are. Has anyone run the factory cambers on track? Anyone gotten tire temps? Maybe try -2.0 as a compromise?
Don't run with factory camber. You'll destroy the tires quickly. Ask MaxLTV. -2.6 or -2.7 on all 4 corners is the way to go if you're driving hard and want even tire wear.

PFC 11 pads sound good, I'm going to order them.
Happy with them so far!

The hassle with the CL wheels sucks. For my first track event, wife and I will be sharing the car and logging ~10 hours of track time over 2 days, so I think we'll need to L/R flip the tires after the first day. Not looking forward to that. Anyone have any thoughts on whether these tires will last 10 track hours (~800 track miles) plus hundreds of miles driving on the road?
Based on what others have said, I think that you'll be ok.

BTW, still waiting to hear from my dealer on what Porsche says about the passenger seat.
let us know!

Originally Posted by Gleek48
So, is it pretty easy/straightforward to get the timing right from the AIM system and the go pros with the right software? I am not too tech savvy and wonder if it is a lengthy and complicated process. Thanks again!
My recommendation is that if you're not into fiddling with software, don't do it. It takes fiddling and practice. If you want plug and play, get the smartycam HD. I'm not a fan because of it's video and sound quality.

Originally Posted by rookie1
Awesome information and video, thanks orthojoe

BTW: Is it expected that the sound is only mono (only left channel) in the video?
Yes, I think the gopro is only recording in mono? Or maybe I have a mono mic? Not sure...

Originally Posted by bigkraig
Great video, makes me think I need to try the tow hook gopro mount.
Towhook mount is the best. Very stable. Very low. Gives you that sense of speed.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:52 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe

I was able to get 1:58.5 my first time out with this car. It's unreal how awesome and fun it is to drive fast. No drama. Just fun. Watching my video, there is plenty of room for improvement still as well. My friend/co-owner of the car outdid me with 1:57.8 (That bastard! I'll post his video later). Our combined theoretical best lap was 1:56.6. I don't think 1:55 is unreasonable with this car in stock form.
1:55 should be very obtainable with your 991. I have been with my .1 to thill twice. My best lap is 157 over the top. My car is pretty much stock.

Great driving, looking forward to seeing the max getting extracted out of the car. Enjoy in good health! I'll see you the 26th - mooty's next track day if you make it
Old 01-27-2015, 01:54 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Hey Joe, how were the brakes in general? Any hint of fade or change in performance throughout the session at all?

As for camber, will you switch back to stock for the street between events?
Old 01-27-2015, 02:10 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
1:55 should be very obtainable with your 991. I have been with my .1 to thill twice. My best lap is 157 over the top. My car is pretty much stock.

Great driving, looking forward to seeing the max getting extracted out of the car. Enjoy in good health! I'll see you the 26th - mooty's next track day if you make it
Thanks! Unfortunately I can't make the 26th.
1:57 with a stock .1 is awesome!

Originally Posted by Mech33
Hey Joe, how were the brakes in general? Any hint of fade or change in performance throughout the session at all?

As for camber, will you switch back to stock for the street between events?
ZERO fade. They worked like a champ. Only the first session was erratic because the pads weren't bedded in yet. After that, it was rock solid.

The car won't get enough street use where the camber will be an issue. I'm leaving the camber set. Plus, with at least one event per month, it makes no sense to keep changing the alignment.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:19 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

My friend/co-owner of the car
Co-owner?? I didn't know you had such an arrangement? Who is this, may I ask (I have an idea )? Something to consider...

Great video and driving.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:01 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Co-owner?? I didn't know you had such an arrangement? Who is this, may I ask (I have an idea )? Something to consider... Great video and driving.
You know him. He owns a blue spyder.
Some things in life are better when shared. We had a blast feeding off of each other that day. The drive to the track is a lot less lonely too!

Here is Ben's best lap:

Old 01-27-2015, 01:09 PM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

OK, I've got a little time now during the lunch hour to post some stuff. Here's a couple of things

1) My fears of being able to handle a rear engine car are gone. This car is totally controllable. It does exactly what I want it to do, and if I screw up, it won't kill me.

2) PDK-S is awesome. I don't miss my manual AT ALL. I would NOT want a manul on this car if I was driving it on track at a fast pace. Too much going on. I never even touched the paddles. Full auto mode the entire time, and it was perfect shifting every time.

3) Alignment. After I went in to fix the rear toe, it was noted that the supension still settled at bit. Actual alignment numbers were zero toe front, 4mm total toe rear, -2.7 camber front, -2.4 camber rear. Front and rear sway bars in the middle position. The car drives near neutral with this. A touch of understeer at corner entry, and a touch of oversteer at corner exit. It's perfect. The only thing that needs to be changed is the rear camber. Keep in mind, my goal is EVEN tire wear, not ultimate grip. The front tires are wearing evenly, but the rear is still wearing a bit on the outer edge. I think I'll have the rear camber increased further to -2.6 or -2.7 (I should have just listened to Sam!)

4) Lap time. For reference, my lap times at Thunderhill with the 3 mile course over the top/cyclone config are:

Stock Subaru BRZ - 2:15
Boxster Spyder on NT01 tires - 2:04

I was able to get 1:58.5 my first time out with this car. It's unreal how awesome and fun it is to drive fast. No drama. Just fun. Watching my video, there is plenty of room for improvement still as well. My friend/co-owner of the car outdid me with 1:57.8 (That bastard! I'll post his video later). Our combined theoretical best lap was 1:56.6. I don't think 1:55 is unreasonable with this car in stock form.

6) The tires. MPSC2 are great tires. IMO, they are just as good as Nitto NT01 with maybe a touch more grip than NT01. I'm hoping they will last longer too, which would make the higher price more palatable.

7) The brakes. PFC11 didn't let me down. The first session it was a bit touchy because they weren't bedded. However, after the 2nd session, it was game on. Love the pads. They barely look worn after 150 track miles.
Really like this journal you're keeping. The community and all it's data sharing is really what tempts me to get a P Car one day.

You should comfortably be able to hit :55's with the cups. I'd say it's probably 1.5 - 2.0 seconds faster than my Z06 all things equal so probably high 53's/low 54's stock with the cups should be doable. Ofcourse, the fun is trying to get it there

You're kickin *** either way you slice it and thanks for detailing the adventure getting it there. Makes for a fun read.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:29 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RobertR1
Really like this journal you're keeping. The community and all it's data sharing is really what tempts me to get a P Car one day.

You should comfortably be able to hit :55's with the cups. I'd say it's probably 1.5 - 2.0 seconds faster than my Z06 all things equal so probably high 53's/low 54's stock with the cups should be doable. Ofcourse, the fun is trying to get it there

You're kickin *** either way you slice it and thanks for detailing the adventure getting it there. Makes for a fun read.
Thanks, man. I think your assessment is correct. Very impressive what you can do with that z06. I gotta step up to keep up!
Old 01-27-2015, 06:17 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Thanks, man. I think your assessment is correct. Very impressive what you can do with that z06. I gotta step up to keep up!
I suggest small steps though, you're already going fast and my estimate is you can only drop another ~2 s based on the current delta between the GT3 and Spyder.

BTW, did you have any issues with wind buffeting?
Old 01-27-2015, 06:44 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Manifold
I suggest small steps though, you're already going fast and my estimate is you can only drop another ~2 s based on the current delta between the GT3 and Spyder. BTW, did you have any issues with wind buffeting?
Agree with you. Will need my Cantrell cage with harness and Hans too. Hopefully in the next month.

Buffeting: YES. It is really bad above 100mph as others have said. If you crank up the windows about an inch, it's better. You will have to sneak it by the corner workers as I got the 'windows down' sign from them once. Will look into the awe solution. So silly.

Need to wash the car:
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2015, 07:23 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Agree with you. Will need my Cantrell cage with harness and Hans too. Hopefully in the next month. Buffeting: YES. It is really bad above 100mph as others have said. If you crank up the windows about an inch, it's better. You will have to sneak it by the corner workers as I got the 'windows down' sign from them once. Will look into the awe solution. So silly. Need to wash the car:
Joe,

Love this thread, thanks for all the great info. Looking at this pic with the rubber rash reminded me of the pretty significant pitting of the Expel Ultimate in front of rear wheels. How is your clear bra holding up in the area in your pic?
BTW, the AWE wind deflector will significantly improve the buffeting, plus it looks pretty good.

D
Old 01-27-2015, 07:34 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 115 Posts

Joe
That is a lot of rubber marks for one day. Do these guys at Thunderhill brush and blow the track. At the Ridge Motorsports Park they do it twice a day. I never pick up rubber marks like you have.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:52 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You know him. He owns a blue spyder.
Some things in life are better when shared. We had a blast feeding off of each other that day. The drive to the track is a lot less lonely too!

Here is Ben's best lap:

Aweomse lap and even better reaction Great thread, can't wait to take a ride at Sonoma.

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal