Sponsored by:

GTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 04:49 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
FWIW, I'll add that owning or not owning a previous GT3 is not necessarily relevant to whether someone wants a new GT3. I would have loved a prior GT3 but circumstances dictated against one. When I was in a position to buy a GT3, new ones weren't available (I don't like buying used) and I bought a new 997 C2S. The 997.2 GT3 came out 6 months later and I kicked myself for the next 4 years, even though the Carrera was a great car.

Respectfully, I don't think you have facts to back up your suspicions. As Joe points out, almost every 991 GT3 buyer who posts here has had a previous GT3, track experience, Porsche experience, or MT experience with other performance cars. This forum doesn't represent ALL 991 GT3 buyers but it's a pretty good sample.

For those buying a 991 GT3 who weren't previous GT3 owners, there are plenty of reasons why they might not have bought a GT3 earlier. I don't have facts to back up my suspicions either, but my guess is that the availability of PDK is low on the list.
I absolutely don't have the facts to back up my assertions. No data. But if someone had the folder with the data, I would bet you big stakes that I'm right. Keep in mind, Rennlist is by definition an enthusiast community. Most of the people here ARE more the manual tranny types. But even here, you only need to read many of the threads to see that many buyers are coming from non- GT cars. I think Porsche is increasing the base for GT3, and probably hardening even more the RS. What are you going to do when you see the neighbor soccer mom at the stop light in a GT3? Not being a pig about it, just saying.... the PDK changes everything in terms of potential audience.

None of this means I don't want one, my order already locked, but I think to say that this new GT3 by design is not meant to appeal to a much broader audience is falsehood... but youre right, I cant prove it, so just my opinion.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:58 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
That's fine. People can disagree that **** smells for all I care. A car is the sum of its parts and the 991 GT3 != GT3 - not even close. That doesn't mean it can't be an incredible car in it's own right. I stand by my original statement; the 991 GT3 is more of a 991 GTS-R than a GT3. The entire drivetrain is completely different.

I don't recall stating that the prior GT3's were "race cars" as you put it. ...but there's a clear lineage between the CUP and those cars that isn't present with the 991. The GT3 is purely a marketing term at this point.

I have yet to see someone make a coherent argument against that other than "have you driven one!", "you're an idiot", "wow such ignorance" ....
It appears the GTS will be completely different than a GT3. A GTS with 4 wheel drive, manual transmission, soft top and many other options that don't exist for a GT3 maybe ideal for many people who prefer that build over a GT3. The GT3 is Porsche's idea of the best chassis to go fast around a track. And, they have what, 18 or so different variants of the 991 chassis specialized for the needs or wants of their customers including the GT3 and GTS.

What doesn't make sense is who died and gave you the ability to come into the GT3 forum and flippantly claim the GT3 is a GTS-R? Other than to troll as others mentioned you are doing, why can't you just accept that a GTS is a GTS and a GT3 is a GT3? If you can't do that, perhaps you should go to a Vette forum, tell them they are driving a Camaro and see how well you fair.

In the meanwhile, enjoy a GTS video. And, we'll let you know if Porsche changes nomenclature since you seem to be having a hard time of it.

Dan (thinks destaccado would meet plainer opinions from mullet heads )
Old 10-08-2014, 05:05 PM
KenU
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Manifold
Too much speculation about things we don't have data for. As already noted, probably safe to say that the 991 GT3 will alienate some because of its tech, especially the PDK, but will attract many others because of its usability for everything from comfy DD to hardcore track use, along with other factors such as looks, price, etc.
Uh, count me in as one of the "many others". You are correct in your observations, sir.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:05 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan

By the way, its also lighter than the GT3...
Not unless my math is really off. Looks like the GT3 is 33# lighter.
GTS with PDK - 3186#
GT3 with PDK - 3153#

At least from the published figures from Porsche.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:08 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I absolutely don't have the facts to back up my assertions. No data. But if someone had the folder with the data, I would bet you big stakes that I'm right. Keep in mind, Rennlist is by definition an enthusiast community. Most of the people here ARE more the manual tranny types. But even here, you only need to read many of the threads to see that many buyers are coming from non- GT cars. I think Porsche is increasing the base for GT3, and probably hardening even more the RS. What are you going to do when you see the neighbor soccer mom at the stop light in a GT3? Not being a pig about it, just saying.... the PDK changes everything in terms of potential audience.

None of this means I don't want one, my order already locked, but I think to say that this new GT3 by design is not meant to appeal to a much broader audience is falsehood... but youre right, I cant prove it, so just my opinion.
It's true that the 991 GT3's capabilities have been expanded to make it more useable day to day. I suppose that could expand the customer base for the car and leave room for a more hardcore RS. What's curious is that from what we've heard so far, the production run is going to be quite limited. Supposedly creating a car for a more mainstream audience and then building only small number of them seems counter intuitive.

Hardcore or not, the 991 GT3 pretty much blows the 997 version away by any objective measure. Arguing the subjective aspects is more problematic, so I'll leave it there. Except I will add that if by some remote chance I do run across a neighbor soccer mom in a 991 GT3, I'll offer to buy her a cup of coffee and have what I'm sure will be a fascinating conversation about cars.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:20 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Hey Desperado, you think you could just quietly go away? No, I didn't think so...okay guys have at him.
Don't you draw the queen of diamonds, boy.

Sorry. Had to.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:32 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Joe, most of what you said I get and agree with. However, I still think that a bottom line fact that I cannot prove (although I guess I could put up a poll) is that....

for 991gt3 buyers, more were previous C2S, C4S, Targa, Turbo, GTS, etc. owners, converting to GT3... than with the 997.1 and 997.2 GT3s. And yes, I think the key reason is the PDK.

One thing not taken into account is the fact that normally, a prior gen owner is desiring the next model, so they trade in their car, and purchase the new one. That may not be happening with the 991 GT3. I don't think a lot of manual owners are jumping on board right away. That has pushed up the price of the manual GT3s. I am a prior C2S owner, and started my search for a prior gen 997.2 RS, but because of the inflated demand for the manual, I switch my search for the older model, and chose to get the new one instead. Even though I wanted the manual, I wasn't going to pay through the roof for one.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:59 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Not unless my math is really off. Looks like the GT3 is 33# lighter.
GTS with PDK - 3186#
GT3 with PDK - 3153#

At least from the published figures from Porsche.
Ray, my (not so great eyes) were looking at the manual figure for the GTS, not PDK... you're right, that if you add PDK to the GTS it weighs more...with the standard manual, it weighs less...
Old 10-08-2014, 06:07 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Joe, most of what you said I get and agree with. However, I still think that a bottom line fact that I cannot prove (although I guess I could put up a poll) is that....

for 991gt3 buyers, more were previous C2S, C4S, Targa, Turbo, GTS, etc. owners, converting to GT3... than with the 997.1 and 997.2 GT3s. And yes, I think the key reason is the PDK.
We're going to have to agree to disagree, which is fine.
There were plenty of non-GT owners that moved on to GT cars for the 996 and 997. It's a natural progression. People get bit by the Porsche 'bug' with non GT models, discover that they want a more raw experience and transition to a GT car. It happened to me. I started off with a boxster spyder. Never thought I'd own a Porsche before I got that car. Now I can't see myself in anything but a Porsche. I didn't decide to get a 991 GT3 because of PDK. I can tell you that for sure. I know how to drive a manual

Originally Posted by neanicu
PDK is one reason that increased their customer base,more user friendly/softer is another.
They should build a street legal Cup car if they want to address to a very small niche market.
Porsche is smart. If you build a car for too small of a niche market, you'll lose money and not impress enough people. The 991GT3 market is already pretty darn small.

FWIW, I'll add that owning or not owning a previous GT3 is not necessarily relevant to whether someone wants a new GT3. I would have loved a prior GT3 but circumstances dictated against one. When I was in a position to buy a GT3, new ones weren't available (I don't like buying used) and I bought a new 997 C2S. The 997.2 GT3 came out 6 months later and I kicked myself for the next 4 years, even though the Carrera was a great car.

Respectfully, I don't think you have facts to back up your suspicions. As Joe points out, almost every 991 GT3 buyer who posts here has had a previous GT3, track experience, Porsche experience, or MT experience with other performance cars. This forum doesn't represent ALL 991 GT3 buyers but it's a pretty good sample.

For those buying a 991 GT3 who weren't previous GT3 owners, there are plenty of reasons why they might not have bought a GT3 earlier. I don't have facts to back up my suspicions either, but my guess is that the availability of PDK is low on the list.
+1. I agree 100%

Too much speculation about things we don't have data for. As already noted, probably safe to say that the 991 GT3 will alienate some because of its tech, especially the PDK, but will attract many others because of its usability for everything from comfy DD to hardcore track use, along with other factors such as looks, price, etc.
+1 as well.

I think you're putting too much weight in the whole PDK thing. First off, I can tell you almost every single woman I know despises big wings. Therefore, you won't be seeing any moms driving a GT3. Second, the people that love PDK for DD will bitch about PDK-S. Correct me if I'm wrong, but current owners are telling me that it's not the smoothest drive around town when it comes to shifting. Remember, the number one feature that drivers in the United States scrutinize are the CUP HOLDERS. Not a joke. A sad truth. My point is, these people that want comfy features won't like PDK-S. They don't get it, and they won't get the GT3.

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
One thing not taken into account is the fact that normally, a prior gen owner is desiring the next model, so they trade in their car, and purchase the new one. That may not be happening with the 991 GT3. I don't think a lot of manual owners are jumping on board right away. That has pushed up the price of the manual GT3s. I am a prior C2S owner, and started my search for a prior gen 997.2 RS, but because of the inflated demand for the manual, I switch my search for the older model, and chose to get the new one instead. Even though I wanted the manual, I wasn't going to pay through the roof for one.
Not true. Plenty of people here on rennlist and not on rennlist that own a 997GT3 that are moving onto a 991GT3.

The perception is not the reality. The small vocal few are distorting the reality.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:15 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Except I will add that if by some remote chance I do run across a neighbor soccer mom in a 991 GT3, I'll offer to buy her a cup of coffee and have what I'm sure will be a fascinating conversation about cars.
Mike, you dirty boy -- finally fessing up the real reason for getting the GT3.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:15 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

all good points
Old 10-08-2014, 07:11 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Except I will add that if by some remote chance I do run across a neighbor soccer mom in a 991 GT3, I'll offer to buy her a cup of coffee and have what I'm sure will be a fascinating conversation about cars.
I want in on that conversation too!
Old 10-08-2014, 07:13 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Mike, you dirty boy -- finally fessing up the real reason for getting the GT3.
lol. You got me hf1; I was just lookin' for love with a GT3 drivin' hot soccer mom. Tiny demographic, but if you find one.....

Originally Posted by stronbl
I want in on that conversation too!
Bard, I'll let her know you're interested!
Old 10-08-2014, 07:21 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,377 Likes on 2,490 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I didn't decide to get a 991 GT3 because of PDK. I can tell you that for sure. I know how to drive a manual
I ordered the 991 GT3 despite the PDK, not because of it. And if a good 6-sp manual had been available which mated with the car well, I would have gone with the manual and ordered the car earlier.

But, I do appreciate that PDK has some undeniable benefits, and will focus on those benefits when I get the car, trusting that I'll be among the many others who like the PDK, including (formerly) diehard manual guys.

Plus, we intend to keep one or more manual Porsches, so the 991 GT3 should add some interesting variety.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:31 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I ordered the 991 GT3 despite the PDK, not because of it. And if a good 6-sp manual had been available which mated with the car well, I would have gone with the manual and ordered the car earlier. But, I do appreciate that PDK has some undeniable benefits, and will focus on those benefits when I get the car, trusting that I'll be among the many others who like the PDK, including (formerly) diehard manual guys. Plus, we intend to keep one or more manual Porsches, so the 991 GT3 should add some interesting variety.
+1. You and I have the same thought process on this.

Quick Reply: GTS