Sponsored by:

Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 02:56 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,209 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan39
Oh the irony. Here I was very early on the wait list at my dealer and what does it get me? A car sitting on a dock, buried in snow for the last month. When it gets to the dealer: heart transplant. And all of this so it gets to me at the same time, maybe even later than someone behind me on the wait list gets their factory-fixed machine!
Was just thinking exactly the same thing. I was so happy to have the car sooner than later, and to be able to drive it in nice California weather for an extra few months, and most of this time it spent parked or being driven half-force because of break-in.

Anyway, sometimes two minuses multiply into a plus - my M3 sale fell through yesterday, and I found a last minute spot for a Laguna Seca track day. I would not go with GT3 because of sound restrictions. Or maybe I should take Cayman loaner instead?
Old 03-13-2014, 03:01 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

OK some solid news finally (maybe).
I just got off the phone with a friend who's a Porsche Sales manager who seemed pretty knowledgeable about the situation. He says the issue is with two bolts letting go. Apparently they are torqued to the proper spec but that they are breaking and they're not sure why. They are not sure at this point if it was a bad batch of bolts and when/if they started to be used. When they break they allow high pressure oil to be sprayed onto the manifold hence the fires. He wasn't sure of the specific part involved but my if it's releasing high pressure oil it's probably one of the external oil pumps. There's one at the back of the cylinder head (RH I think) and if that separates from the head oil will go all over the place. He says a letter will be out next week (we've heard that before)
I actually has a similar problem with my 997.1 GT3. The combination oil/vacuum pump at the back of the LH cylinder head would fall off. Several bolt replacements later it was still falling off....with oil going everywhere. The only solution that worked was to replace the 6mm bolts with 8mm bolts...now no more problems.
We'll have to wait to see if this is correct....but this looks like a messy but minor problem, except for the fires of course. Also reasonable to expect that they would break right away and if they haven't broken yet, probably won't. Still if this is the case I'd go for the new bolts that are inevitable going to come out.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:05 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

^^I sure hope this is true.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:08 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
Also completely possible that they have engine components flowing from the supply chain so they build the chassis, assemble the engines, install the engines and if the fix requires an engine swap, they swap engines in those cars also.

Ryan
So you do believe they are continuing to build engines with flawed parts? HA! Sorry....that's not the german way. They have identified the problem if they are building new cars.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:09 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

And it's taking them a month to figure out putting longer bolts?
I'm sorry,I don't buy it...
Old 03-13-2014, 03:09 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

does that require a engine drop?
Old 03-13-2014, 03:11 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dsc999
I was the post last Friday from the factory. The GT3s I saw were in various phases on the production line. I did witness one drive out of the factory, one that was married as I stood and watched and one getting its wheels and tires (happens after the marriage obviously). What I didn't see was a parking lot full of quarantined GT3s. I saw a handful parked (and marked) around the facility presumably waiting to go to transport. When I asked if they were all being quarantined and held there in zuffenhausen the tour guide said yes.
Originally Posted by dsc999
7 March....last Friday
This is great to read. So I guess the rumor that the 2014 GT3 model is being eighty sixed was just a funny one.

Originally Posted by Leigh2
I just got off the phone with a friend who's a Porsche Sales manager who seemed pretty knowledgeable about the situation. He says the issue is with two bolts letting go. Apparently they are torqued to the proper spec but that they are breaking and they're not sure why. They are not sure at this point if it was a bad batch of bolts and when/if they started to be used. When they break they allow high pressure oil to be sprayed onto the manifold hence the fires. He wasn't sure of the specific part involved but my if it's releasing high pressure oil it's probably one of the external oil pumps. There's one at the back of the cylinder head (RH I think) and if that separates from the head oil will go all over the place. He says a letter will be out next week (we've heard that before)
I actually has a similar problem with my 997.1 GT3. The combination oil/vacuum pump at the back of the LH cylinder head would fall off. Several bolt replacements later it was still falling off....with oil going everywhere. The only solution that worked was to replace the 6mm bolts with 8mm bolts...now no more problems.
We'll have to wait to see if this is correct....but this looks like a messy but minor problem, except for the fires of course. Also reasonable to expect that they would break right away and if they haven't broken yet, probably won't. Still if this is the case I'd go for the new bolts that are inevitable going to come out.
Skeptical. Was with GM an hour ago, who was as clueless as everybody else is regarding the issue.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:15 PM
grinzing mike
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is mean to finish production next week, and I'm being told (so far) that hasn't changed. If it's a couple sub-standard bolts or improper torqueing procedures, that seems like they can solve that relatively easily. Would be nice to get my car soon, as scheduled...
Old 03-13-2014, 03:17 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess we'll find out. His information wasn't "official" it was from a conversation with one of the main technical guys that he knows personally. Just have to wait and see...
Old 03-13-2014, 03:26 PM
YOCOHO
Racer

Originally Posted by rubbaman
Here's something to think about... we've had eye witnesses on RL that say they swear they have seen GT3's rolling off the assy. line. We have people who have cars on order that are showing V270 or V300. Mine is expected to go to production (body) on 3/28. Sooner or later these cars are going to show up at the dealer. Does anyone seriously expect these cars are being built with the faulty parts? When one of these cars shows up, someone on the RL is going to say, "I have mine!" And "I'm driving it!" I would say that day is coming sometime in April if I have read the posts correctly. (It's all I do these days, can't help myself, I'm a sick man). So, it would seem logical to me that Porsche is going to HAVE to say something before these new (fixed) cars arrive. I mean that would truly suck for those who have theirs sitting in the garage with a DO NOT DRIVE edict, and I'm laughing driving around in one.
Hi Rob,

What does V170 and V300 mean? Mine is in body paint now that is what the my dealer told me yesterday. Thank you
Old 03-13-2014, 03:26 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Just in case the problem is as you note and the solution is similar to what you expressed, I am assuming your change from 6mm to 8mm is a bolt diameter, not length. If it is a diameter, that would make some sense if they are indeed breaking at proper torque and would also suggest there is a need to redesign the mated parts to accommodate the larger diameter bolts. Could be a fair amount of work to retrofit an existing engine ... pure speculation on my part. Sorry to progress the rumor mill
Old 03-13-2014, 03:32 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 68 Posts

I think he is describing the oil heat exchanger 'bracket' issue (it is discussed somewhere in the beginning of this humongous thread). There might even be a separate recall for this. I don't think it related to the hole in the crankcase issue (or might be).
Old 03-13-2014, 03:33 PM
grinzing mike
Track Day

Just got confirmation from my dealer that my car is proceeding through production as originally scheduled. That either means (1) they have a fix and are spending this time perfecting their programmatic response and compensation to existing car owners who have been forced to park their cars, or (2) that they’re going to park my car to retrofit the fix once they finalize it. Sure hope it's the former. I had an issue with the seat on my 991 C4S which was, apparently, a minor design flaw...and PCNA forwarded me a gift to compensate me for the hassle. Here's hoping they treat existing GT3 owners commensurately with the bigger hassle they've experienced.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:36 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Let me add to the confusion. I have two sources both in Germany and both close to Porsche.

One has indicated only a few cars are affected and would require engine replacements. However, whether all the cars are affected is still being debated by Porsche.

The other source has always maintained all engines need replacement. I checked with him today and he said the following;

Announcement will be Monday,

all engines will be replaced,

it will take up to two months to be replace them.

No one will be allowed to drive their cars until the engine is replaced

Old 03-13-2014, 03:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry
For my own edification could you point me to where we have a car that progressed to a confirmed marriage (chassis meets engine) or production complete for a car that started production after 11 Feb 2014?

Ryan
Ryan: The danger here is that we're relying on second hand information but IF in fact GT3's are still coming down the line, regardless of whether they are being married to engines or not, we can at least assume that the doomsday scenarios (no more GT3's....Porsche will be refunding money) are incorrect. Why keep building chassis if the car is a no go?

More likely is that an updated engine requires new/replacement parts that are not yet available in sufficient quantity to meet the demand. The reasonable thing to expect is that cars already in service or waiting on docks will get first priority; cars yet to be produced second. Maybe Porsche is building a backlog of chassis with no engines to be ready when they get the green light that enough motors are available.

Of course if the stories of GT3's on the line are bunk, this is all out the window.

Edit: Just read Leigh's and Nick's posts. Appreciate the input, but we really are still at square one with this. Lots of rumors (I've heard my own from inside sources) but no solid facts. Announcement Wednesday, no Friday, no Monday....I can't stand it.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?