Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 10:54 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default 'Ultraviolet' is not delayed...but it might be finished early!

Originally Posted by dertub
The buzz over on Rennteam is that there might be a delay with UV cars. Anybody know anything??
It's not a buzz...it's just Whoopsy!

We have confirmation, even at Rennteam (see Aldo's post), that 'Ultraviolet' is presently in series production and 'flowing freely' through the assembly lines. I will ask others at Rennteam to see what they have to say since they are closer to the source at Zuffenhausen. But we have some pretty good information flow going on all of these subjects right here on Rennlist!

But what I am hearing it's just the opposite. 'Ultraviolet' will cease to be produced at the end of November, 2015. We know there are a number of 991 gt3 RS scheduled for production in December, but most seem to be PTS (tell me if that is true or not). If 'Ultraviolet' is stopped at the end of November, does it mean that all regular color production will be finished by that date - meaning all 'Lava Orange', GT Silver, 'White' and 'Ultraviolet' RSs will also stop by end of November? Or just that demand for 'Ultraviolet' is fairly light and all orders will be completed by that early date? We don't yet know...but it could all mean that PAG is getting ready to finish production of the .1 991 gt3 RS by December or January at the latest.

Does any of this remind any of you of our conversations here regarding the end of MY2015 gt3 (base) production by December 31, 2014? Like Yogi Berra used to say: "It's déjà vu all over again".

Regardless, we need to get to the bottom of this. The above information about 'Ultraviolet' ending by last days of November is coming from a source in Germany that contacted PAG today and informed me immediately of it! So there might be an actual fire behind this puff of smoke. If any of you could let us know the following, it might shed some light on the subject:

a) Does anyone have an 'Ultraviolet' 991 gt3 RS confirmed for production by PAG in December?

b) Does anyone have a 'GT Silver', 'White' or 'Lava Orange' confirmed for production by PAG in December?

c) Does anyone have any color .1 991 gt3 RS confirmed for production by PAG after January 2016?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 06-17-2015, 11:21 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't know of any verified V200+ (probably V215) PTS orders now. Seems like schedule is still being sorted out - my dealer confirmed all of theirs are still V170 including some 918 customer PTS orders.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:05 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I don't know of any verified V200+ (probably V215) PTS orders now. Seems like schedule is still being sorted out - my dealer confirmed all of theirs are still V170 including some 918 customer PTS orders.
I heard same.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:38 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I've read previous PTS windows for low production cars (B Spyder) have been as short as a couple of weeks, interested to see how long this one lasts and if we'll get any confirmations before the books close.

Any guesses?
Old 06-18-2015, 01:10 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
I've read previous PTS windows for low production cars (B Spyder) have been as short as a couple of weeks, interested to see how long this one lasts and if we'll get any confirmations before the books close.

Any guesses?
This PTS 'window' for the RS is much different from anything we have seen before. First of all, the production for the .1 991 gt3 RS is quite limited. PAG by now has a pretty finite idea of what they can & will produce...and who they planned to sell it to. And by announcing the decision to allow PTS just recently (although we have suspected it would be the case for months), it means that they now just have to figure out the logistics of when & how to do it (PTS production).

The price point of the RS is now historically very high...so they are dealing with a more sophisticated (and demanding) buyer. And just about every RS is being custom ordered by an end customer & it isn't a spec buy by a dealer. So the demand for specific options are now very focused on what a 'real' customer wants...PTS, LWB, etc. Into the mix add the influence of '918 Spyder Circle' VIP members who feel empowered to demand (& get) special 'wishes' for their particular vehicles. These VIPs have become accustomed to the solicitous manner in which the Concierge service has treated them - basically like pampered prima donnas!

So, as the result of this unusual confluence of forces, PAG is doing something unprecedented here...they are changing their plans for exterior colors on the 991 gt3 RS and accommodating their customers wishes for options that deviate from their original production plans. This is not how the PTS window of old was done at Porsche before...

Its refreshing actually...but most unusual to see by those of us that have followed Porsche over the years. That is not how we (the customers) were treated in the past and we hope this flexibility continues into the future!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 06-18-2015, 05:56 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Another interesting angle on the rpm debate is that Porsche's pro drivers are regularly using sport auto. They are, however, overriding it almost all the time, so they have control of which gear each corner is in and the precise change point, usually immediately prior to turn-in to minimise upset to the car's dynamics. Then they let the auto do its thing accelerating down straights, giving them the shift point to optimise performance. It would be slightly annoying in my view but it probably gives the best lap time. Walter Rohl is doing this and another chap I can't remember.

Controversial statement alert: I think the GT3 sounds better than the RS because it revs higher. That's what gives it the high-frequency buzz-saw noise, not the piston speed. You can certainly hear the difference between the 9k and the 8.6k people are getting in the RS. Sure you can get to 8.8k in manual but it's quite hard to get it consistently without hitting the limiter. In addition, the RS's high-frequency engine sound is slightly masked by the increased intake noise.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:17 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
It would be slightly annoying in my view
Why do think that?

Just curious.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:00 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobalt
Why do think that?

Just curious.
Because you'd have to constantly be thinking about whether you were still in your 5-sec manual window. And I guess it would just feel like you were driving an overridable auto like a Carrera, or Golf for that matter. I like that the manual mode in GT3 gives you complete control (exception of downshifts to prevent stall!)
Old 06-18-2015, 07:19 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
Because you'd have to constantly be thinking about whether you were still in your 5-sec manual window. And I guess it would just feel like you were driving an overridable auto like a Carrera, or Golf for that matter. I like that the manual mode in GT3 gives you complete control (exception of downshifts to prevent stall!)
It's a good point Paul and I tend to agree with you - manual or sport auto but both was not something I had seen used by these top drivers till the RS track videos.

That last 400 sound isn't just missed by you. I was repeatedly playing videos to find tach shots for this discussion yesterday and that screaming shrill last banshee 500 sound isn't present IMO.

But I have to say Porsche have done this for a reason and if this engine is more reliable for its reduced limiter then that's good enough for me. 9000 was very optomistic for a flat six regardless. It will very interesting to see what the cup cars with 9A1 run but my money is on 8750 max for the 4.0l
Old 06-19-2015, 06:14 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
It's not a buzz...it's just Whoopsy!

We have confirmation, even at Rennteam (see Aldo's post), that 'Ultraviolet' is presently in series production and 'flowing freely' through the assembly lines. I will ask others at Rennteam to see what they have to say since they are closer to the source at Zuffenhausen. But we have some pretty good information flow going on all of these subjects right here on Rennlist!

But what I am hearing it's just the opposite. 'Ultraviolet' will cease to be produced at the end of November, 2015. We know there are a number of 991 gt3 RS scheduled for production in December, but most seem to be PTS (tell me if that is true or not). If 'Ultraviolet' is stopped at the end of November, does it mean that all regular color production will be finished by that date - meaning all 'Lava Orange', GT Silver, 'White' and 'Ultraviolet' RSs will also stop by end of November? Or just that demand for 'Ultraviolet' is fairly light and all orders will be completed by that early date? We don't yet know...but it could all mean that PAG is getting ready to finish production of the .1 991 gt3 RS by December or January at the latest.

Does any of this remind any of you of our conversations here regarding the end of MY2015 gt3 (base) production by December 31, 2014? Like Yogi Berra used to say: "It's déjà vu all over again".

Regardless, we need to get to the bottom of this. The above information about 'Ultraviolet' ending by last days of November is coming from a source in Germany that contacted PAG today and informed me immediately of it! So there might be an actual fire behind this puff of smoke. If any of you could let us know the following, it might shed some light on the subject:

a) Does anyone have an 'Ultraviolet' 991 gt3 RS confirmed for production by PAG in December?

b) Does anyone have a 'GT Silver', 'White' or 'Lava Orange' confirmed for production by PAG in December?

c) Does anyone have any color .1 991 gt3 RS confirmed for production by PAG after January 2016?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Ah, I see you are posting me here.

Anyway, I got more info on the delay. It is 'flowing' right now as you say, but it will stop soon and re-start again in December. Like the LWB option that was available early then delay.

PTS lead time is for some reason currently at 6 months, up from 3 earlier.

Production will ends in May. 2016 will be the only model year for the GT3RS.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:18 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Anyway, I got more info on the delay. It is 'flowing' right now as you say, but it will stop soon and re-start again in December. Like the LWB option that was available early then delay.

PTS lead time is for some reason currently at 6 months, up from 3 earlier.

Production will ends in May. 2016 will be the only model year for the GT3RS.
Thanks for the details, as always, Whoopsy.

Production ending in May 2016 implies there will be Production Starts in early calendar year 2016. That's promising, and also implies another wave of allocs, which would be super helpful for those of us with multiple orders still sitting in V070 status.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:30 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

Right now I believe slots are being scheduled for Feb 2016, so I am guessing another 3 months worth of production slots should still be available later.

My dealer initially thought they only had 4 slots, now they have 8 confirmed. But then again there are still another 20+ people with paid deposits without a slot.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:53 AM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Thanks for the details, as always, Whoopsy.

Production ending in May 2016 implies there will be Production Starts in early calendar year 2016. That's promising, and also implies another wave of allocs, which would be super helpful for those of us with multiple orders still sitting in V070 status.
Green,
Dont worry. We will get them.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:03 PM
Kain
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for a dumb questions but...

If there will be a 991.2 GT3 RS, when can we expect it? Will Porsche "work its way up" the range by releasing the "lower-end" models first in 991.2 form or will Porsche release the whole range in one go in 991.2 form?
Old 06-20-2015, 03:20 PM
993RR
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Kain
Sorry for a dumb questions but...

If there will be a 991.2 GT3 RS, when can we expect it? Will Porsche "work its way up" the range by releasing the "lower-end" models first in 991.2 form or will Porsche release the whole range in one go in 991.2 form?
Good Question.

On past form, the 991.1 GT3 would follow and then the RS version. However, how do they improve on this great package - that is already at near bursting/flaming point.

A 4.O engine for the 991.2 GT3 & 4.2 for the .2 RS. Or hybrid. 2020 EU Emission rules loom large

The Porsche Le Mans victory is a good indicator of things to come - a 916, 914, 912?

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread