Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 05:10 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

So BOT; Where are the posts;

"Hey guys I had a 997RS and a 991 GT3 I do about 70 track days a year and I just took my new RS to the track and this is what I think and here is the video........"
Old 07-16-2015, 05:23 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
So BOT; Where are the posts;

"Hey guys I had a 997RS and a 991 GT3 I do about 70 track days a year and I just took my new RS to the track and this is what I think and here is the video........"
Sort of:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...he+991RS&mid=0
Old 07-16-2015, 05:26 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Luckily My good friend apolo helped wangle us being some of the first customers in the UK to drive the new RS. We had some coffee and breakfast then spent a god 2-3 hours with the car on the track, kick plates and sliding circuit. the car is a pre prod and after it has finished its duties at silly it will be either crushed or put in to the porsche museum. we couldnt drive it on the road because its a pre prod. it only arrived friday so the porsche guys were sort of learning as we go. its a shame i dont know the 991 gt3 well enough to be able to make any comparisons but my friend that had one made the following comments :

1) massive improvment in the braking department, much sharper - apparently runs same brakes as cup r.
2) front end is more planted and there is zero traditional porsche vagueness and super sharp (265 fronts!)
3) sounds better/louder with the additional induction rasp

I can only compare it to the spaz based on a wet day on a tight little track you cant get out of third gear on... its a bit early to say too much but it feels more composed, solid and porsche like. it feels like it could do a track day every day forever and not blow up. its very easy to drive and gets its power down well even in the wet. if i drove the spaz like i did on that track i would have been all over the place. The Chris harris video at Angelsey with the gt3 and spaz says it all really. When I did the experience day with the 3.8 rs back in 2010 coming from an m3 CSL I remember thinking what a handful I was buying... How much more of a focused drivers tool.. As car not really for beginners. Well driving down in 2015 through the rain in a spaz and jumping in to the RS it felt a little the other way round, the RS is defiantly the more manageable car. That does not mean it's boring because you can turn everything off and get to its limits but first impressions are id happily lend it to my mum for a weekend as long as she could see over the steering wheel...

Power wise ferrari is much mopre torquey low down. there is alot more meat all the way through the rev range. low down the rs felt a little lacking but its top end really is explosive. The big difference is even in the wet the RS could happily put most it's power down before spinning its rears where the spazwas spinning in 3rd gear... Will be interesting to see what happens between them in the dry...

In terms of feel the speciale defiantly feels much more alive - through the wheel, seat and pedals but i was never expecting the RS be able to match it because it just wouldn't be very Porsche... The spaz in neurotic and mad, the Porsche is cool calm and collected... The RS still offers plenty so no need to worry... i think the RS could be the faster car on a dry track. it can just carry so much speed so easily, the spaz is much more of a handful.

For real world fast driving and track work with good safety, harness, half cage etc I'm sure its the best in the business. for sheer thrills i think the spaz has it licked. I'm pleased to say they both attack their mission in different enough ways to enjoy both for their attributes.

final thought :

Maybe I liked it so much partly because how easy it is to drive... For others That are more than a billy I wonder if thy will prefer thi cars from previous generations? I won't but I think some will... Either way sensational car and simply can not wait to get some proper seat time with her. Porsche are on a roll at the moment, a lot of love here for the brand !

More pics on my IG page : https://instagram.com/woppum/
Thank you; Stolen from PH posted by "Woppum"
Old 07-16-2015, 06:35 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 210 Posts

My voodoo blue RS got "approved" today. Just waiting for a firm date. Whatever this means...
Old 07-16-2015, 07:24 PM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
My voodoo blue RS got "approved" today. Just waiting for a firm date. Whatever this means...
Wow congrats
The things I would do for a Viper or Voodoo allocation...
Old 07-16-2015, 08:08 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats, good news for everyone waiting as it appears they are getting PTS sorted to some degree.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:33 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

ISIS : is that a flower?
oh, that's iris....
back to rS.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:37 AM
Selvatico
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from Auto Motor und Sport test:
huge improvement of the down force at 200 km/h and a weight (no Navi and not clear if even with AC delete our not) of 1461 kg with full fuel tank (64lt) and club sport package (>17 kg) included..
In the article many remarks on the hot temperature during the tests compared to the 991 Gt3 test done in the past. Brakes and 0-100 and 200 km/h? I would have expected better results..but I don't remember if this magazine makes these specific tests with two drivers on board or just one.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:39 AM
Selvatico
Instructor

Old 07-17-2015, 04:48 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

I guess 1 passenger or Hockenheim time is not usable

I can t blame P they always said this RS was just an Aero and tyres exercise
(worth 50k??? this is another story)
and the RS they had in mind to compare this one is the 997.2 450HP one

But the 500HP conservative... gossip ( need 300 km h to be higher)
you can image A sport car manufacter being shy on their performance
and 0 to 200 due the Aero downforce couldn t be much different
Old 07-17-2015, 05:32 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Selvatico: Thanks for posting!
Old 07-17-2015, 05:57 AM
karimgt3
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Selvatico
fr
In the article many remarks on the hot temperature during the tests compared to the 991 Gt3 test done in the past.
Thanks for posting!

Do you mean the weather was hot, or the heat in the engine bay?

1.55G

Impressive downforce figures compared to other cars. Form follows function!
Old 07-17-2015, 06:47 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow the RS in Voodoo Blue is gonna be absolutely gorgeous! congratulations, can't wait to see pics!
Old 07-17-2015, 07:18 AM
Selvatico
Instructor

Could be nice to compare Rs and standard GT3 here..

Originally Posted by Selvatico

Old 07-17-2015, 07:21 AM
Selvatico
Instructor

Originally Posted by karimgt3
Thanks for posting!

Do you mean the weather was hot, or the heat in the engine bay?

1.55G

Impressive downforce figures compared to other cars. Form follows function!
they refer to the outside temperature and in the article it seems, if I uderstand well German, that they confirm it could influence the performances by some margin. I don't agree too much but this is what it seems they have told there..

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread