Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 10:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
This is the only way I would consider ED for an RS, but it still makes me nervous of paint damage!

Not sure I posted this UV pict or not, from my dealer:
Jeez. Its a big/thick front lip! I wonder why they did this as it cant make any aero difference? Also I much prefer the profile of the MPSC2 without the rim guards vs those Dunlops. They look a bit big (probably just an optical illusion I guess).
Old 06-08-2015, 10:46 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Jeez. Its a big/thick front lip! I wonder why they did this as it cant make any aero difference? Also I much prefer the profile of the MPSC2 without the rim guards vs those Dunlops. They look a bit big (probably just an optical illusion I guess).
It looks like value engineering to me, they made the front lip thicker and go up higher to meet the wider fenders vs the GT3. It really just looks like a cheaper way to blend the width vs making a new bumper mold. Not a fan of the look on the Dunlops either.

This image shows the bumper mod more clearly:
Old 06-08-2015, 11:01 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 159 Posts

I bought several cars with plastic on them. I would rather deal with the chips and get a great touch up guy to fix them every now and then.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:12 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Black uprights and platinum wheels are forced, I paid for black wheels so hopefully someone with a purple car will swap matte aluminum with me.
Thank you. I am going for PTS, but I don't like black wheels. Platinum wheels are perfect.

Just a friendly observation. You North Americans are way to paranoid about stone chips . The subject is barely discussed on Rennteam or Pistonhreads sites but on Rennlist it takes up acres of the server farm. There's a whole industry that has spawned because of this obsessiveness. They only put paint on cars to protect the metal underneath from oxidising, now we want to put plastic on paint to protect the paint from chipping and some put wax on plastic to stop the plastic from pitting.

Dont Panic. The chip wont hurt you Lol :-)

We drove 4000km across Europe in the GT3 and under UV light inspection before export had three small chips. Their roads are clean and well maintained. Ive not received any noticeable chips at the Nurburgring either but cant speak for Spa.

I know my POV on this is not popular around here but life is too short to be looking after the carpet for the next guy who buys the house
I never put any of this stuff on any of my cars. No matter what, applying a thin layer of plastic will spoil the look of the paint. I will gladly accept a few stone chips as the price to pay for enjoying a beautiful paint job from the factory.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:17 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

My car is always covered in black marks. Every body panel. Rubber carries rocks. My wrap was destroyed.

I know how to use Dr Colorchip, my 500 E is getting done now.

Plus my "challenged" friends can't see the difference between a white board and a white GT3 LOL

Old 06-08-2015, 11:23 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
My car is always covered in black marks. Every body panel. Rubber carries rocks. My wrap was destroyed.

I know how to use Dr Colorchip, my 500 E is getting done now.

Plus my "challenged" friends can't see the difference between a white board and a white GT3 LOL

That's one way to solve the problem
Old 06-09-2015, 12:33 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default I have no idea how I developed this obsession with clear bras!

Just a friendly observation. You North Americans are way too paranoid...but life is too short to be looking after the carpet for the next guy who buys the house
You are probably right, Mark. I have no idea how we got that way re: clear bras. I often wonder if anything in our typical Middle America past had anything to do with this obsession with clear plastic. So far, I have looked retrospectively into my life and not found the connection. Perhaps other more astute observers will notice something that can help give me a clue as to how this fetish came about!

The early years. Me as a kid:

One of my neighbors - Mrs. Robinson!

Aunt Edith and Mumsy at my parent's home:

My first apartment & getting ready for a date in 1973!

Finally, my wife and I sitting in our current retirement home in Carmel last week:

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 06-09-2015, 12:58 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Actually Eduardo...those photos give as much insight into your PTS fascination (especially the brighter hues) than your plastic fetish :-)
Old 06-09-2015, 01:56 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Actually Eduardo...those photos give as much insight into your PTS fascination (especially the brighter hues) than your plastic fetish :-)
You might be right about that Mark. I never looked at it that way.

Now, on a different topic, what do you think accounts for my obsessive interest in leather interior choices, deviating stitching, Leather to Sample...and dual tone interiors in natural grade/special leathers!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 06-09-2015, 02:25 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,863 Likes on 963 Posts

Precariously close to dog status....

Anyone care to guess how much a roll of Xpel weighs?
Old 06-09-2015, 04:17 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Men wot cover their cars in plastic also cover their iPhones. Like you pay a huge premium for one because it looks and feels better than the competition then you put it in a bulky cheap plastic case???
Old 06-09-2015, 06:56 AM
Tryptomine
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
You are probably right, Mark. I have no idea how we got that way re: clear bras. I often wonder if anything in our typical Middle America past had anything to do with this obsession with clear plastic. So far, I have looked retrospectively into my life and not found the connection. Perhaps other more astute observers will notice something that can help give me a clue as to how this fetish came about!

The early years. Me as a kid:

One of my neighbors - Mrs. Robinson!

Aunt Edith and Mumsy at my parent's home:

My first apartment & getting ready for a date in 1973!

Finally, my wife and I sitting in our current retirement home in Carmel last week:

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 06-09-2015, 11:49 AM
JCO
Instructor

I have ordered a full Xpel clear wrapping on my car. They install it when the car is by the Porsche dealer before I take it out from there. If you are installing wrap on the headlights your installer must know what he is doing orelse he can destroy Your headlights. They have already an UV-film from factory that can be destroyed when you wrap them.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:51 AM
JCO
Instructor

Anybody from Germany on the list who can give me an recomadation on insurance companies in Germany?
Old 06-09-2015, 12:09 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread