Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 05:49 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Preuninger also explained his decision to only offer a manual gearbox on the Cayman GT4, saying ‘We put a manual in it for good reason – to show people that we listened.’ Clearly, then, Porsche Motorsport is responsive to its customers’ demands. If enough people call for a Cayman GT4 RS, it might just happen…"
I met with a couple Porsche engineers last month. They were genuinely interested in hearing why I preferred a manual. I've lived with the Autobahn and driven the 'Ring, so I can understand much of the environment that influences cars Porsche makes. Hopefully I was also able to share my perspective that those are in part geographically specific- different factors influence our diving experience elsewhere.

Porsche shouldn't be surprised by the demand for the GT4. Many of us have been trying hard to articulate this alternate perspective. The fact that they were surprised suggests they still don't entirely understand quite a few of their customers, something I've felt over the last couple years. The fact that they are willing to listen and change, at least partly, is excellent. I still live in hope.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:03 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
They are not reduced when stroked.

Because excessive engine speed/piston speed cuts into reliability.

When the piston travel is lengthened (stroked) engine speed rises. In this example, 3.8 vs. 4.0, the latter has the same engine speed as the former (as the latter is stroked), hence the necessity to reduce red-line.

The RS's 4.0L 8,800 rev ceiling has the same engine speed as the GT3's 3.8L @ 9,000 rpms.
Thanks for the reply. Do we know if the pistons are lighter in he RS compared to the GT3? If so, the momentum change can be faster as the pistons change direction. So, this would further enable it to rev higher, no?
Old 03-04-2015, 06:05 PM
jumpstone
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTEE3
If anyone at the show can give us a personal insight of the Lava Orange color, it would be appreciated!
And a comparison to previous Porsche Oranges' even better!
TIA
That colour is crazy: once it looks red once orange! I am just arrived in geneva and will attend the show tomorrow morning! Keep u posted cheers
Old 03-04-2015, 06:13 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Re: Lava Orange -> https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...l#post12089491

(Many thanks to Eduardo, as always.)
Old 03-04-2015, 06:19 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
what are guys going to do w/ that nice Titanium center muffler when they install the sharkwerks bypass pipe, hang it on the wall?
Same thing we did with our previous RS. Sell it.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:22 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997s07
Thanks for the reply. Do we know if the pistons are lighter in he RS compared to the GT3? If so, the momentum change can be faster as the pistons change direction. So, this would further enable it to rev higher, no?
If we go by corrected piston speed (mean piston speed x (bore /stroke)^.5) we find the 991 RS's 8,800 rpm is the harder technical challenge vs essentially any motor currently made barring the 918. It's under significantly more stress than the 458 SP's 9,000 rpm (26.7 vs 26.2), etc. Could Porsche have pushed futher? Perhaps- motorcyles are higher still. But it seems likely Porsche felt it best not to push its luck after the GT3's engine problems.

See this post for more info:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...l#post12060807
Old 03-04-2015, 06:23 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 435 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Yep. I'd pull them out when I got the car. I suspect the mesh is regulations driven and of little practical value (unlike mesh protecting radiators, etc).

Thanks...

Actually the GT3 RS 4.0 had a larger bore (102.7) and shorter stroke (80.4). So they did doubly well to extend the redline- in theory the RS 4.0 should be able to rev higher.
Pete any word on 991RS Ram air confirmed by AP in Geneva?
Old 03-04-2015, 06:25 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 121 Likes on 67 Posts

Yep. I'd pull them out when I got the car. I suspect the mesh is regulations driven and of little practical value (unlike mesh protecting radiators, etc).
I would be careful before removing the mesh. TVR Sagaris was supposed to have similar vents over the front wheels. Till they found that the front wheels would spit stones on to the hood and windshield. So they closed those vents off on the production car. Or at least that is what Clarkson says (from 3:35) -

Old 03-04-2015, 06:27 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If we go by corrected piston speed (mean piston speed x (bore /stroke)^.5) we find the 991 RS's 8,800 rpm is the harder technical challenge vs essentially any motor currently made barring the 918. It's under significantly more stress than the 458 SP's 9,000 rpm (26.7 vs 26.2), etc. Could Porsche have pushed futher? Perhaps- motorcyles are higher still. But it seems likely Porsche felt it best not to push its luck after the GT3's engine problems.

Fascinating. AP did say that Porsche *invented* a material for the crankshaft (invented for the 919, but used in this RS) and has different connecting rods than the GT3 as well...
Old 03-04-2015, 06:29 PM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
TrackCar can get personalized TrackCar floor mats!
We've already had this discussion:

CF illuminated door sills with "Trakcar" logo FTW
Old 03-04-2015, 06:31 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I met with a couple Porsche engineers last month. They were genuinely interested in hearing why I preferred a manual. I've lived with the Autobahn and driven the 'Ring, so I can understand much of the environment that influences cars Porsche makes. Hopefully I was also able to share my perspective that those are in part geographically specific- different factors influence our diving experience elsewhere. Porsche shouldn't be surprised by the demand for the GT4. Many of us have been trying hard to articulate this alternate perspective. The fact that they were surprised suggests they still don't entirely understand quite a few of their customers, something I've felt over the last couple years. The fact that they are willing to listen and change, at least partly, is excellent. I still live in hope.
Surprised? This is the car we have been asking Porsche to make for years. Still too neutered, but overall the most compelling car in the current lineup.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:03 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
Surprised? This is the car we have been asking Porsche to make for years. Still too neutered, but overall the most compelling car in the current lineup.
?

It's a 400 horsepower mid engine beast with a GT3 suspension for 90k- how on earth to you call that neutered?
Old 03-04-2015, 07:03 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by arena-RTR
Fascinating. AP did say that Porsche *invented* a material for the crankshaft (invented for the 919, but used in this RS) and has different connecting rods than the GT3 as well...
I'm fairly sure they targeted even higher revs, then I suspect someone told them to back off. Which means the new engine should be nicely conservative and durable.
Originally Posted by fxz
Pete any word on 991RS Ram air confirmed by AP in Geneva?
Not sure what you mean, was there was a question? Wider hips mean the RS has a better high pressure area there than the GT3, so it makes sense to move the intakes and it should get a bigger effect...
Originally Posted by arena-RTR
It's a 400 horsepower mid engine beast with a GT3 suspension for 90k- how on earth to you call that neutered?
They've got 430 through 500 hp engines sitting there, and it's still got strut rear suspension. If the gloves are coming off one can still ask for them to come off completely... Understanding it would need to cost more.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:04 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So this "correction" shows us some sort of cylinder cross section area normalization? I'm not an engineer, but do have a technical background, so correct me if I'm wrong. It seems a lower stroke but higher bore would be much much easier to rev faster since the mean piston speed would easily be changed. In any case, it seems a higher revving engine, despite the great advertising it could spawn, would not be worth the problems it would eventually have.

Now I inderstand the real value of the Mezger, and how you described it as modular and the DFI as tuned to its potential.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:15 PM
Mass_K
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spoke with porsche of melbourne today and they said I could have allocation #11 for the RS. If I were to get this allocation # would I have a chance of getting the car at all or would all the orders porsche allows be filled out by the time it gets to me?

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread