Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 12:50 PM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzy991
Yes, the Turbo S comes standard with deviated stitching if you opt for a two-tone interior, but if you want a single tone interior, you don't get deviated stitching, so you need z-option 90043.

Here's a link to a PDF-sheet I've made, where some leather options are explained: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...1&d=1382685600

Suzy (via iOS app)
Make sense, thanks for the clarification.

Your link above, XWL/XWK should include #5.9c in leather, yes?
Old 02-01-2014, 12:52 PM
apias
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

This thread should almost have its own web site. It's one of the most usefully informative forum threads on the Internet.

It's also interesting that it seems like you can actually finish off the interior of a 911 more luxuriously than a Panamera, with which it doesn't seem possible (at least based on the configurator) to get rid of many of the plastic parts and/or cover them with leather. For example, with the Panamera, you can get the vent slats in leather, but not the full vent like on the 911, and, it doesn't seem possible to eliminate all the plastic bits on the dash trim, even with the leather, wood, etc. options.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:35 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pyramid
Make sense, thanks for the clarification. Your link above, XWL/XWK should include #5.9c in leather, yes?
Well, that's a part that I actually don't know for sure. I considered to put that also in the description, but the German pricelist doesn't mention that particular part and I haven't looked after it myself to be honest.
My Boxster does have 18-way seats, but doesn't have option XWK, so I can't confirm it on my own car. It's just plastic in my car...

Everything in that description is been taken over from the German pricelist, where this actual list and drawings are published. I only copied it, translated it and tried to make it a little more understandable.

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 02-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by shake-em-on-down
Thanks! How about colours? I am looking for an orange stitching.
Shake: The closest you can get today to the old 'Orange' deviating stitching available for the 997 is 'Amber Orange' - from the 981 interior offerings. As we have seen done by Sonnen Porsche, you can request 'Amber Orange' as a deviating stitching on a 991! This is what Sonnen did with their PTS Mexico Blue custom order (see attached photos) of a car they currently have for sale.

Other colors are only on request
As when I last talked to Sascha Glaeser (US Manager of 'Porsche Exclusive') about deviating stitching in August 2013, he told me that even if requested Porsche is not currently able to offer any 'other colors' for deviating stitching at the present time! That might change in the future as the coordination with all of their various vendors improve. I specifically asked about different shades of 'green' deviating stitching that would better match a PTS 'Signal Green', 'RS Green' or 'Viper' exterior. His response was: 'Sorry, not available at the present time'!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images   
Old 02-01-2014, 07:25 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

That's good to know Eduardo. Thanks.

I also heard from a friend of mine that PTS Riviera blue isn't possible at this moment. He has a Boxster S on order for about 2 months and got a call from his dealership ( also my dealership) that Porsche rejected the request for Riviera blue for at least untill june 2014. PAG didn't give a reason, even after the salesman asked several times for it.

Maybe the upcoming GT3 RS will get that color exclusively at the introduction?? Just guessing... I have no idea why they would reject a color that is on the current PTS list.

It's a shame that Porsche Exclusive is as flexible as a Swiss mountain... They have a hyper modern paintfactory, but it seems even less is possible than before. No matte paint, no satin paint, only a very small amount of available colors...
Or are they just pushing the limits of what they can handle with all these new models in such a short time?

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 02-01-2014, 08:00 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Eduardo, thanks for all your post and research.
The thread is a well-deserved sticky now.

Best

John
Old 02-01-2014, 08:28 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not enough thanks can be given to Eduardo for his generous time he puts into these threads.

And now Suzy991 too!
Believe me, if I weren't half a world away and married...

The GT3RS is rumored to be launched in a new 'Flat Orange' paint color. Not sure if it is true, but it sounds interesting. What is confusing is why doesn't Porsche have (offer) deviated stitching colors that 'exactly' match every existing exterior paint color? Excluding PTS of course.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:32 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by apias
This thread should almost have its own web site. It's one of the most usefully informative forum threads on the Internet.
apias: It doesn't get a website...but a 'sticky' on this prestigious forum is almost as good!

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Eduardo, thanks for all your post and research.
The thread is a well-deserved sticky now.

Best

John
John: Thank you for making this a sticky. But it has really been a collaborative effort by all the Rennlisters that have contributed to this thread and posted their own experiences in trying to custom order a Porsche 991! Let's see if we can make this thread even more informative & up-to-date so that it continues to be useful to all that are considering custom ordering their 'unique' Porsche! And I thank all for their many contributions to this thread!

That's good to know Eduardo. Thanks. I also heard from a friend of mine that PTS Riviera blue isn't possible at this moment. He has a Boxster S on order for about 2 months and got a call from his dealership ( also my dealership) that Porsche rejected the request for Riviera blue for at least untill june 2014. PAG didn't give a reason, even after the salesman asked several times for it. Maybe the upcoming GT3 RS will get that color exclusively at the introduction?? Just guessing... I have no idea why they would reject a color that is on the current PTS list.
Could it simply be that the dealer messed up the order and they missed the PTS window for MY2014 vehicles, which closed on December 20th, 2013! The PTS window apparently will open for MY2015 models in June 2014!

Suzy, I doubt 'Riviera Blue' is going to be selected as one of the special colors for the upcoming 991 gt3 RS. Frankly, that 'colour' has been a bit over-used by both Porsche and its customers in the past few years. You might remember that one of the 'Press Cars' was a 'Riviera Blue' MY2010 .2 997 gt3 which was flogged by Patrick Simon in youtube videos & car magazines at the time.

Personally, I would think they would go with exterior colors (plural, at least two 'loud' ones like they did on the .1 RS) that are more uncommon & 'fresh' for our eyes. It's not like they don't have a varied palette of wonderful hues to choose from, especially if they go back to the rich colors used effectively in early long-hood 911's in the late 1960's & early 1970's.

It's a shame that Porsche Exclusive is as flexible as a Swiss mountain... They have a hyper modern paintfactory, but it seems even less is possible than before. No matte paint, no satin paint, only a very small amount of available colors...Or are they just pushing the limits of what they can handle with all these new models in such a short time? Suzy
If Porsche starts offering matte or satin paints, it's only because they have been dragged fighting, screaming & against their will to cater to the whims of the automotive 'fashionistas'. Porsche sees these matte/satin paint offerings as a passing fad that is way too impractical for the typically sensible Porsche customer - at least that is what they would like to believe! Besides, it's an expensive warranty nightmare for PAG and the dealers. I don't expect Porsche to go this matte or satin paint route anytime soon.

PTS is a different ball of...waxy tints & hues. Modern paint robots at German plants can change colors in 'seconds'...under one minute. And once the various surfaces on a given model (e.g. 991 or 981) have been tested with the desired PTS automotive paint for fade & coverage, thus qualifying to be on the approved PTS list, it should be fairly simple to crank them out quickly. Except...for these 'issues' and 'facts'. First, they don't stock paint that is not a current standard or metallic offering. It needs to be specially ordered, etc. Second, some parts of a 991 or 981 are not painted at the Porsche factory(s). For example, painted wheels in an exterior color are done by the wheel vendors and arrive 'just in time' for assembly into the vehicle. Same is true for some other parts (from certain model's bumpers to the top mechanism that goes on a 991 Cabriolet). These are outsourced and come pre-painted from outside vendors. So, even if Porsche could quickly paint the chassis and most parts in a PTS approved color at their 'hyper modern' paint facility in Zuffenhausen, it's still not enough. Not 100% of the painted parts that go into a finished 991 or 981 vehicle are actually painted by Porsche itself! Do you start to see the complicated dynamics of the entire logistics of current vehicle production at Porsche today?

Originally Posted by Zeus
Not enough thanks can be given to Eduardo for his generous time he puts into these threads. And now Suzy991 too! Believe me, if I weren't half a world away and married...
Sorry to interrupt the excellent evilgrin fantasies, Zeus, but Suzy has already a partner in Switzerland...and I don't fool around with married folks! But both of us appreciate the intended compliment ...I think.

Originally Posted by Zeus
The GT3RS is rumored to be launched in a new 'Flat Orange' paint color. Not sure if it is true, but it sounds interesting. What is confusing is why doesn't Porsche have (offer) deviated stitching colors that 'exactly' match every existing exterior paint color? Excluding PTS of course.
Porsche DOES HAVE, in general, a deviating stitching color for its current offerings in leather interiors that pretty much coordinate with the great majority of their standard & metallic colors! That is what the list below is all about.

Currently available colors for deviated stitching:
- Silver
- White
- Platinum grey
- Pebble grey
- Agate grey
- Black
- Guards Red
- Carrera Red
- Racing Yellow
- Lime Gold
- Luxor Beige
- Cognac
- Cream
- Umber
- Espresso
- Amber Orange
- Peridot
- Yachting Blue
- Aqua Blue

But it's not set up yet to provide an exact deviating stitching thread for every other random 'Paint to Sample' color that someone might request. That would be asking 'too much'. For your information, attached is a photo of the possible range of synthetic color threads that Porsche can choose from its industry suppliers. This was shown to me by 'Porsche Exclusive', which is how I got to photograph it. Only a few of these color threads are on the approved list and used by both the factory and the subcontractors.

And remember that many of the deviating stitching in certain key interior parts (e.g. steering wheels and seats) are done by outside vendors. So 'Porsche Exclusive' would have to coordinate the multitude of stitching colors with each and every sub-contractor that might be supplying a part of the interior of that vehicle. Progress is being made. The list of approved deviating stitching is larger today than when I started this thread in 2012!

But there is room for improvement. I would be content, for example, if they just get to approve one key deviating stitching color that could coordinate with a variety of approved PTS exterior colors. So pick a 'green' from what threads are available to Porsche (see photo below), besides the already approved 'Peridot' which is very 'yellowish' and not totally 'green', and allow it to be ordered with PTS exterior colors like 'Signal Green', 'Viper Green', 'RS Green', 'Pure Green', 'Birch Green', etc. Of course, I have a hidden agenda here because that is exactly the range of PTS colors that I will choose from on my next Porsche!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  

Last edited by Z356; 02-18-2014 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Correct for spelling of color 'Umber'
Old 02-02-2014, 12:36 AM
cy456
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 PTS C2S Ice Blue Metallic

Planning to make a separate thread with my personal PTS experience, but for posterity's sake im posting pics here.

BIG BIG thanks to Z356 and other contributers to this thread, really made my first Carrera purchase a special one by being able to get a unique color (First 991 PTS on the island according to my SA).

Exterior is Ice Blue Metallic, a special TTS only color in 2011 (?) but due to production problems got overly delayed so never became very commonplace. Interior is Espresso natural leather which may seem like an odd combo at first but really blends well when seen in person. Has a really silver/blue hue in bright sunlight (first pic) which changes to more of a blue/silver hue in the shade.

Was initially worried that the IBM was too 'soft' or feminine a color, but ended up being really happy at how it turned out. Satin wheels helped masculinize it IMO. Black PORSCHE lettering in rear courtesy of Suncoast.
Attached Images     
Old 02-02-2014, 06:23 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Z356
Could it simply be that the dealer messed up the order and they missed the PTS window for MY2014 vehicles, which closed on December 20th, 2013! The PTS window apparently will open for MY2015 models in June 2014!
This might have been the case, but I think he got that phone call before the 20th of december.
OTOH, he was allowed to choose Voodoo blue (his second choice) as an alternative. In the end, he has decided to put the order on hold and wait untill the Boxster GTS is introduced, before he decides which way to go.

If Porsche starts offering matte or satin paints, it's only because they have been dragged fighting, screaming & against their will to cater to the whims of the automotive 'fashionistas'. Porsche sees these matte/satin paint offerings as a passing fad that is way too impractical for the typically sensible Porsche customer - at least that is what they would like to believe! Besides, it's an expensive warranty nightmare for PAG and the dealers. I don't expect Porsche to go this matte or satin paint route anytime soon.

PTS is a different ball of...waxy tints & hues. Modern paint robots at German plants can change colors in 'seconds'...under one minute. And once the various surfaces on a given model (e.g. 991 or 981) have been tested with the desired PTS automotive paint for fade & coverage, thus qualifying to be on the approved PTS list, it should be fairly simple to crank them out quickly. Except...for these 'issues' and 'facts'. First, they don't stock paint that is not a current standard or metallic offering. It needs to be specially ordered, etc. Second, some parts of a 991 or 981 are not painted at the Porsche factory(s). For example, painted wheels in an exterior color are done by the wheel vendors and arrive 'just in time' for assembly into the vehicle. Same is true for some other parts (from certain model's bumpers to the top mechanism that goes on a 991 Cabriolet). These are outsourced and come pre-painted from outside vendors. So, even if Porsche could quickly paint the chassis and most parts in a PTS approved color at their 'hyper modern' paint facility in Zuffenhausen, it's still not enough. Not 100% of the painted parts that go into a finished 991 or 981 vehicle are actually painted by Porsche itself! Do you start to see the complicated dynamics of the entire logistics of current vehicle production at Porsche today?
I definitely see the logistic problems, that's also what they tried to make clear, when I was in Zuffenhausen.
I certainly understand the difficulties they face, but Audi Exclusive or BMW Individual are both a lot more flexible and have less additional delivery time for special paint or other special options. This applies not only to an R8 or an M6, but also to a "cheap" A3 or 1-series. Their paint quality is at least on par with Porsche's paint quality. Even VW does special paint on request, on cars like Golf, Polo, Beetle (although not in all countries though).
However, the experience of choosing and ordereing a custom built Porsche is in a different league, compared to the others.

Sorry to interrupt the excellent evilgrin fantasies, Zeus, but Suzy has already a partner in Switzerland...and I don't fool around with married folks! But both of us appreciate the intended compliment ...I think.
I certainly appreciate the intended compliment

Originally Posted by cy456
Planning to make a separate thread with my personal PTS experience, but for posterity's sake im posting pics here.

BIG BIG thanks to Z356 and other contributers to this thread, really made my first Carrera purchase a special one by being able to get a unique color (First 991 PTS on the island according to my SA).

Exterior is Ice Blue Metallic, a special TTS only color in 2011 (?) but due to production problems got overly delayed so never became very commonplace. Interior is Espresso natural leather which may seem like an odd combo at first but really blends well when seen in person. Has a really silver/blue hue in bright sunlight (first pic) which changes to more of a blue/silver hue in the shade.

Was initially worried that the IBM was too 'soft' or feminine a color, but ended up being really happy at how it turned out. Satin wheels helped masculinize it IMO. Black PORSCHE lettering in rear courtesy of Suncoast.
WOW! I absolutely love that color! Didn't see it on a different car than the special TTS, but it shows the beautiful lines of the car perfectly! Very, very nice combo!
Old 02-02-2014, 10:40 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,406 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by cy456
Black PORSCHE lettering in rear courtesy of Suncoast.
Outstanding, CY456! The I.B.M. PTS is very well played. How did you do the black "PORSCHE" emblem? Did you do it, or have the dealership do it? My main concern is how do you get the letters repositioned in the exact right spot (spacing, position, and level)?

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:06 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you can get Porsche Exclusive to paint PORSCHE black ..
Old 02-02-2014, 03:03 PM
cy456
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LexVan
Outstanding, CY456! The I.B.M. PTS is very well played. How did you do the black "PORSCHE" emblem? Did you do it, or have the dealership do it? My main concern is how do you get the letters repositioned in the exact right spot (spacing, position, and level)?

Thanks.
I had Xpel put on the rear bumper for rock chips and debris kicked up by the back tires. Installer needed to take off the letters anyway to put the film on, so decided to go with the black lettering instead. Asked my local dealership if they had the carrera template for the lettering (like how you see on the nat geo 'ultimate factories') but they only had the panamera template for some reason. So my installer used masking tape and marking pens to make his own template.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:56 PM
apias
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

apias: It doesn't get a website...but a 'sticky' on this prestigious forum is almost as good! ...
Bravo! And well deserved, indeed.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:24 PM
lromanosky
Instructor

Default 991 Turbo S Build

Hi Guys,
Here is a build I just submitted for Porsche Centre Calgary: A triple Black (non metallic paint) Turbo S Cab, with every bit of additional leather, and all with contrast 'darksilver' stitch.

So, when this arrives, I will be able to tell people *exactly* what each extra bit of leather looks like. Keep in mind these are Canadian prices which are about 13% higher. I will post photos when it arrives.

1 991650 911 Turbo S Cabriolet 221,200.00
2 A1 Black 0.00
3 1V Convertible Top Black 0.00
4 AZ Leather interior in Black 0.00
5 342 Seat heating 0.00
6 456 Adaptive cruise control incl. Porsche Active Safe (PAS) 2,850.00
7 509 Fire extinguisher 160.00
8 541 Seat ventilation 960.00
9 581 Luggage net passenger footwell 0.00
10 583 Smoking package 0.00
11 625 Porsche Entry & Drive 1,250.00
12 630 Light design package 590.00
13 638 ParkAssist (front and rear) incl. reversing camera 750.00
14 658 Power steering Plus 310.00
15 671 Voice control 680.00
16 P3M High End Infotainment Package 4,000.00
17 XHJ PDK gear selector in Carbon 750.00
18 XHL Multi-function steering wheel Carbon incl. steering-wheel he 730.00
19 XHS Rear centre tunnel in leather with decorative stitching 1,360.00
20 XNG Instrument surround leather 430.00
21 XNS Steering column casing leather 530.00
22 XSC Porsche crest embossed on head restraints 330.00
23 XUB Painted headlamp cleaning system cover 340.00
24 XUV Lid of storage bin with logo 380.00
25 XWL Extended interior package Sports seat Plus backrests in leat 690.00
26 XXD Door sill guards in carbon, illuminated 1,460.00
27 XXG Taillights with clear glass look 910.00
28 EFA Pedals and footrest in aluminium 720.00
29 CPE Key pouch in leather 175.00
30 CPK Vehicle key painted 355.00
31 CTH Belt outlet trims in leather 365.00
32 CTK Air vents in leather 1,810.00
33 CUF PCM package painted 2,360.00
34 CUJ Fuse box cover in leather 400.00
35 CXM Extended interior package door panel in leather 730.00
36 CXN Extended interior package rear in leather 1,630.00
37 CZW Extended interior package dashboard trim in leather 1,810.00
38 CFX Personalised floor mats with leather edging 685.00
39 24891 Stitching of Front and Rear Seats deviating thread 1,260.00
40 24901 Stitching of Dashboard deviating thread 450.00
41 24902 Stitching door trim deviating thread 450.00
42 24905 stitching of rear side panel deviating thread 450.00
43 26741 Stitching of door center panel deviating thread 450.00
44 26751 Stitching of arm rest deviating thread 360.00
45 26761 Stitching of door handles with deviating thread 450.00
46 90003 Stitching XHS thread dev. color analogous to seats 100.00
47 90027 Standard stitching XNS deviating thread 100.00
48 90043 Stitching sports seat backrests in leather incl. XWL deviati 100.00

Cheers,
Lawrence
Lawrence R
2001 996 C4 Cab
1989 MB 420 SEL

past
1964 356 C Coupe
1985 Ruf-Porsche BTR
1991 Ruf-Porsche BTR III Motronic
1979 Porsche 930 Coupe
1987 Porsche 944 Turbo

Quick Reply: Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!