991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 02:13 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,327 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
"Throw this all together and the end result is that the new 911 GT3 RS has the ability to get itself around the Nurburgring Nordschliefe in 7 minutes 20 seconds. Yep, that's 9 seconds faster than the mighty Carrera GT managed, 12 seconds faster than the standard GT3."

I thought Porsche said 7:25 for GT3?
Old 03-04-2015, 02:14 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
No worries, I'll have the standard list of excuses ready - tires, tire pressures, brake issues, warm up laps, cool down laps, fuel conservation, etc.
In Florida we go straight to ambient temp heat or too cold for tires to properly heat up.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:16 PM
alaint101
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Radio Delete: -7lb
That figure doesn't add-up, unless of course you remove the radio but leave the speakers in the car.... I am quite sure the actual figure is ~20lbs with the 9 speakers out. (Based on prior request to PAG for 997.2 RS)
Old 03-04-2015, 02:18 PM
Tryptomine
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys i dont get it, i order 6 points belts for passenger but nowhere it showing that my seat is also have 6 points belts ??? Also i choose to have lava orange belts but in the description its written that club sport comes in red ???? I am worried about will my seat have 6 points ?

I thought if the cage is available thats mean it comes with the 6 points belts. But on all videos the cage is with normal belts.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:19 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,651 Likes on 5,106 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
This happens whenever the RS comes out. Non RS GT3 owners find little crumbs to defend their more "sensible" cars, it's all part of the the 10 step process. Step 10 being, give up and buy an RS.
Steps?? 10 of them??
Unfortunately for me, I'm not even walking yet.

Kudos to all those who have already ordered the RS. Enjoy the ride.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:25 PM
alaint101
Racer

Originally Posted by jumpstone
Sorry guys what is pts? Thx
Paint to Sample. It's when you order a color that's not listed. Porsche usually offers this opportunity to customize your car, for a price. (Circa $6k)
Old 03-04-2015, 02:29 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Andreas Preuninger: "The ultimate track car will always have a PDK in it because it is simply faster. The GT3 has tough competition, and we like to be the fastest. "
No.

By this logic the ultimate track car is 4wd, because it's faster. It's mid-engine, because it's faster.

The GT3 RS nowhere close to best, because it's not fastest. The GT-R is faster. The 918, ZR-1, Z06, Viper ACR, the list goes on...

I don't want a GT car because it's fastest. If I did I'd buy something else. I want it because it's a balance of performance and feeling, of innovation and tradition. And I want it because it's involving and demanding.

Did the Carrera GT scare Porsche more than it scared customers? I see the current generation of Porsche supercars is an over-reaction, a mandate from its overlords that Porsches will be easy to drive. And I think this is a mistake- it's not what Porsche is.

Challenge is part of Porsche's identity. Speed is a given today, and you just need to look at Tesla's 3.0 second to 60 four door sedan to realize that next generation cars will be blindingly quick. For most faster + easier = progress, but that's not everyone. Some want the challenge.

I'll try the GT4- I think it's a step in the right direction. But it's still watered down skim milk compared to what it could be, as is the new 3RS. I'm still waiting for the best bits of both cars (in either platform) for the full-fat experience. He're hoping the overlords will still allow this to happen.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:30 PM
alaint101
Racer

This happens whenever the RS comes out. Non RS GT3 owners find little crumbs to defend their more "sensible" cars, it's all part of the the 10 step process. Step 10 being, give up and buy an RS.
+1 ROTFLMAO
Old 03-04-2015, 02:31 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,217 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
PDK-S in auto mode presumably optimizes the shifting to maximize pace. Doesn't it rev out to the full 9000 in each gear?
No. I checked data, and I'm pretty sure it shifts a bit short of redline starting with 5th gear, IIRC. Basically, it seems it's intelligent enough to make sure that the power before shift is not lower than the power after the shift. The power at 9000 RPM is higher than power at 7100RPM, so as long as the upshift lands you below 7100 RPM, it makes sense to upshift at redline.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:36 PM
Alastair R
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tryptomine
Guys i dont get it, i order 6 points belts for passenger but nowhere it showing that my seat is also have 6 points belts ??? Also i choose to have lava orange belts but in the description its written that club sport comes in red ???? I am worried about will my seat have 6 points ?

I thought if the cage is available thats mean it comes with the 6 points belts. But on all videos the cage is with normal belts.
For Euro spec, the drivers harness (red) comes with CS spec but is fitted by your dealer (if you choose to fit it). Passenger harness (red) is additional option. The regular 3 point seatbelts will be "lava" if you select that option.

It's a good set-up, you can wear 3 points on the road and save the harness for track.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:36 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

u learned well

Originally Posted by jenk12m
so your saying the GT3 is faster than the RS then?

that was for Mech33
they are all too fast for me.
i want a flat 4 with 100 hp RS
Old 03-04-2015, 02:39 PM
GT3Bang
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RossL
The official website though says 3.9L....

It´s wrong - it´s 4.0l (3.996 to be correct)

Old 03-04-2015, 02:47 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,651 Likes on 5,106 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
No.

By this logic the ultimate track car is 4wd, because it's faster. It's mid-engine, because it's faster.

The GT3 RS nowhere close to best, because it's not fastest. The GT-R is faster. The 918, ZR-1, Z06, Viper ACR, the list goes on...

I don't want a GT car because it's fastest. If I did I'd buy something else. I want it because it's a balance of performance and feeling, of innovation and tradition. And I want it because it's involving and demanding.

Did the Carrera GT scare Porsche more than it scared customers? I see the current generation of Porsche supercars is an over-reaction, a mandate from its overlords that Porsches will be easy to drive. And I think this is a mistake- it's not what Porsche is.

Challenge is part of Porsche's identity. Speed is a given today, and you just need to look at Tesla's 3.0 second to 60 four door sedan to realize that next generation cars will be blindingly quick. For most faster + easier = progress, but that's not everyone. Some want the challenge.

I'll try the GT4- I think it's a step in the right direction. But it's still watered down skim milk compared to what it could be, as is the new 3RS. I'm still waiting for the best bits of both cars (in either platform) for the full-fat experience. He're hoping the overlords will still allow this to happen.
Pete,

I think everyone here agrees and knows you've hit the bulls-eye with respect to, at least, the GT cars from Porsche.

And I'd imagine even the gang at the GT division in Porsche agree with you, but given the combination of government regulations and our legal system, it is simply is not feasible to build a Carrera GT 2.0.

At this point, if someone wanted the most visceral demanding car, then it's probably a Cup, but then that's not street legal. Then maybe an Ariel Atom, but then that messes up your hair ...
Old 03-04-2015, 02:59 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,217 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by mlpor
If it matters, for the PCCB, as a sprung rotating mass, you're entitiled if you wish to add a multiplier, x2 or 3 or x?? Opinions on relative values for Moments of Inertia vary, but they're almost universally more than x2 or x3.
It's close to x1.5 It would have been 2 if the rotor was a ring (all mass on the outmost point of the radius). But a rotor is closer to a cylinder or disk than a ring, so it's less than 2. I do not remember the exact formula but definitely under 2.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:59 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
I wonder if they tested those side intakes for bird strikes?
PETA wouldnt allow it

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread