Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 12:04 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great post, <3mph. If the RS is offered with a matte black, that's what I may end up with.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:18 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Great post, <3mph. If the RS is offered with a matte black, that's what I may end up with.
Thanks, Sam. I think that would look totally amazing, and very sinister in keeping with the character of the car! Since it is the same code as Oryx white, which is that twice-the-price-as-PTS colour, I'm not sure what this signifies. But a rare paint option would be a great way to set the RS apart from all other "lesser" 911s.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:00 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
+1
Old 01-01-2015, 01:12 PM
Tre
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is Porsche like the rest of the VW family in that colors could be shared? If so, the Nero Nemesis Matte color on Lamborghinis look quite beastly and I'm sure it would be fitting for the RS.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:18 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by <3mph
Thanks, I purposely planted references to Eduardo in my post, hoping the same thing! Here's my best answer to your question, bronson. With respect to solid, non-metallic colours, I'm not sure there is any difference in the paint whether it was specced as a PTS option or (in the past when available) a standard non-PTS colour option (if I'm interpreting your question correctly). For example, due to the change from Basalt black met to Jet black met from 2014 to 2015, eilig (here on RL) had to use PTS to get this previously standard 2014 colour for his 2015 GT3 since it was no longer available otherwise, but I would imagine there is no difference whatsoever in the paint. Indeed, many PTS colours are the same paint (exact same formula) as had been used in the past (eg. Gulf blue, even though there are many codes; and Mexico blue which has only ever had one code (336) since 1974-75 according to the Glasurit website). OTOH, there are other colours, like Signal green, which have gone through various changes in the formula over time. Since the only way to get this green nowadays is via PTS, today's version of Signal green is different from previous standard iterations of the colour.

Once again <3mph, you hit the nail on the head on getting me the answer to a question I've been long looking for. Thanks.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:21 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Given the apparently short run of RS,is there any sense that there will be a PTS option?....my dealer was very doubtful.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:36 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ronan
Given the apparently short run of RS,is there any sense that there will be a PTS option?....my dealer was very doubtful.
The consensus is that there will not be PTS for the first bunch of cars, perhaps the entire run if it is a very short run. However, just as there were new colours introduced with the 991 GT3 and other P-cars in the past, I'm hoping that there will be some (Lava orange?, Miami blue?, Matte black?, "Silk matte" platinum metallic?) new colours available for the RS, which will be as good as getting a rare and desirable PTS colour. So far, there are lots of bets on an orange colour, seeing as one of the "black" RS mules spotted in the US was actually an orange car wrapped in black (orange visible on the door sills with doors open). One other "black" mule appeared to be silver of some sort. From the original post:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...hread-138.html

I've increased the exposure to show the colours better.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:55 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Remember too the pictures found on some patent documents earlier in the year appears legit and was of a silver car. The silver appeared Matt in the lustrations so I think you may have found another home run there. The blue is a harder one. They have approved gulf blue now which would seem a more appropriate choice IMO...
Old 01-01-2015, 03:07 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by <3mph
The consensus is that there will not be PTS for the first bunch of cars, perhaps the entire run if it is a very short run. However, just as there were new colours introduced with the 991 GT3 and other P-cars in the past, I'm hoping that there will be some (Lava orange?, Miami blue?, Matte black?, "Silk matte" platinum metallic?) new colours available for the RS, which will be as good as getting a rare and desirable PTS colour. So far, there are lots of bets on an orange colour, seeing as one of the "black" RS mules spotted in the US was actually an orange car wrapped in black (orange visible on the door sills with doors open). One other "black" mule appeared to be silver of some sort. From the original post:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...hread-138.html

I've increased the exposure to show the colours better.

good eye !
Old 01-01-2015, 03:39 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

looks matt/satin to me just like the inside of that door might be...
Attached Images  
Old 01-01-2015, 04:40 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I don't think the satin is going to be a production finish- at least the initial colours I saw ( a metallic black,silver,white and orange) were all gloss....but that was a year ago...
Old 01-01-2015, 04:43 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
looks matt/satin to me just like the inside of that door might be...
Sure does. And yes, I didn't realize it, but as you point out "seidenmatt" correctly translates to satin. I also notice that on some of the other views from the patent photos, the body colour seems the same as the wheels. So perhaps the GT3 satin platinum wheel colour will be offered on the body? Or maybe this is simply the wheel paint? I'm not sure.

As for your other point about Gulf blue being already approved, I would think that this would be a good reason exactly why they might go with a different blue for the RS. Just to set it apart. Wouldn't it be more unorthodox to bring back a heritage colour into standard use (has this been done before)? Conversely, there is precedent for creating unique colours for special cars (Sport Classic grey, Speedster pure blue, etc). Lava orange could be some sort of reinterpretation of, say, Blutorange/Tangerine. So perhaps Miami blue could be a new blue for this car. Either way, I'm very curious to see what Miami blue will look like!!
Old 01-01-2015, 04:52 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ronan
I don't think the satin is going to be a production finish- at least the initial colours I saw ( a metallic black,silver,white and orange) were all gloss....but that was a year ago...
Ronan, are you able to comment more on where you saw this and whether there was any suggestion of other colours being available besides those four? Did the silver look like one of the current ones (GT, rhodium)? Thanks!
Old 01-01-2015, 05:53 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

<3mph - wow man, home run indeed. Great work!

Since satin colors (with no clear coat I assume) is what Lamborghini, BMW, etc..offer, are a serious pain to take care of and delicate; I wonder if Porsche's paint supplier will offer a true 'satin' color with a protective clear coat? I'm no expert on paints by any means.

But for those of you with the means to get this car, this can't make it any easier, can it?
Old 01-01-2015, 07:34 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zeus
I wonder if Porsche's paint supplier will offer a true 'satin' color with a protective clear coat?
I'm not sure this is useful to answer your question, but below is the formula for this paint. Perhaps someone knows better how to interpret this. There are formulas for both the 55 Line and 90 Line paints (which I understand to be 2 layer paints). Refer also to this interesting thread on Pelican Parts' site, where they talk about another clear coat for use with matte finishes (923-55), although further in that thread they make it sound like you can't wax that finish, so that kind of matte may be hard to maintain. Maybe these options, including step 2 with 923-144 or 923-255 (all purpose clear coat apparently), are a tad more user-friendly?? Someone with paint shop expertise would be able to answer this. Sorry I have no real knowledge in this area.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/paint...-question.html

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread