Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 11:34 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I forgot to mention wind buffeting.
Its insane. I cant imagine tracking this car with the windows open. Imagine the worst buffeting banging you ever heard and do it times 3.
I thought the windows were coming out and my ears clogged up, super crazy. If DE organizers will insist on windows completely down its a real big problem, we may have to stick CUP vented rear windows in or something because you cant see straight otherwise.
Stick on 991 Cup doors with full windows and use your indicator lights for point bys... (if you need to let point bys...)
Old 01-05-2015, 11:38 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I forgot to mention wind buffeting.
Its insane. I cant imagine tracking this car with the windows open. Imagine the worst buffeting banging you ever heard and do it times 3.
I thought the windows were coming out and my ears clogged up, super crazy. If DE organizers will insist on windows completely down its a real big problem, we may have to stick CUP vented rear windows in or something because you cant see straight otherwise.
Originally Posted by mooty
haha, i thought that's just me.
i drove on at THill. at 100+, even with helmet on, my ear drums were on the verge of self destruction.
Weird, I haven't had this issue, not with both windows down. One window down not drivable but both, haven't had issues, even at COTA, up to 158 mph. Maybe my helmet is tight against my ears!
Old 01-05-2015, 01:01 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Ok..here we go...Jalopnik today:

http://jalopnik.com/heres-the-2015-p...upp-1677510790
Old 01-05-2015, 01:06 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Old 01-05-2015, 01:14 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11501058...t-any-disguise

Wholly fender vents!

Old 01-05-2015, 01:16 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Are there are any options besides this? http://www.awe-tuning.com/awe-tuning...-wind-diffuser

And do we have feedback on what actually works and doesn't work?
These seem a pretty simple and elegant solution to the problem. Anybody try this product?
Old 01-05-2015, 02:14 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

New pics of vents make me think that having them body coloured or ordering car in black might be way to go
Old 01-05-2015, 02:18 PM
DucatiSPS
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by GregJGT3
These seem a pretty simple and elegant solution to the problem. Anybody try this product?
just ordered them. figure for $150 I can test em out.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:44 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default On 'Lava Orange' and other paint topics...

Originally Posted by <3mph
Eduardo, you're the voice of reason. And, wow, your knowledge of all this stuff is mind-blowingly impressive!! Thanks for the commentary. After reading your responses, I have a lot more questions that I'm hoping you can help with.

Oh, no!
See attempted responses in red.

Interesting. I'm still hoping that the Glasurit info is relevant. And I haven't found a similar site for DuPont that lets one browse their paint selection. Do you know of one?

Here is their general website. You seem pretty good at sleuthing. Maybe you'll find it here:

http://www.axaltacs.com/corporate/en.../overview.html

Even if they weren't the official supplier, it is still curious that W25 does not exist on their website. Do you have any theories why this might be? They catalog other paint that was used on relatively few cars (eg. Kristalblau).

'Crystal Blue' was a series production color in the late 1960's & early 1970's. W25 'Signal Green' was a very limited formulation (a variation) of the traditional 'Signal Green'. The latter had twice appeared in PAG's offerings - longhood 911 in the late 1960's & again with 964 type 911's in the early 90's (MY1991/1992). Glasurit simply doesn't bother to list the limited W25 version of 'Signal Green' since it was such a small, PTS run!

Ok, great. I'm hoping that my car arrives in as close a match as possible to the original 531 in appearance. I'm still not completely sure why some 1950-1953 colours (eg. Adriablau) use identical formulae in more recent times, while Modegrau does not. Perhaps it had to do with a constituent paint that is no longer useable and had to be changed, and this applies only to those colours using that constituent??

Modegrau will be a great color!

Thanks for the link http://www.hemmings.com/hcc/stories/..._feature8.html!
You welcome

Why don't you think it could be "Java/Lava orange"?

Just my wishful thinking. In fact there is increase talk & speculation about 'Lava Orange' as the new color for both the MY2015 gt3 RS and the gt4. User ExMB contacted me via PM to inform me of discussions of both 'Lava Orange' & 'Miami Blue' at a german website discussing upcoming gt4 color offerings. Link below (in German)

http://www.pff.de/porsche/board104-p.../index115.html

and VW 'Lava Orange' screenshot listing the hue as color code 'LM2A' -see attachment at bottom of this post

Eduardo, do you recall another example where a historic colour was revived for non-PTS standard use in a newer model?

Yes, 'Signal Green' was revived as standard color on the MY1991/1992 911 under its original historic name (although with a slightly different color formulation code 22S)!

Why do you state no Miamiblau so emphatically? I was really hoping there might be a really great blue for the RS. Plus the year listed by Glasurit seemed to fit with the timing of the 991 RS.

Just a gut feeling. Nothing more. I must add that 'Miami Blue' has also surfaced as a possible color for the gt4 in some German website (see link above), but I can't attest to its validity. Maybe they were reading your posts on Rennlist and that's how it got there!

And agreed, to find a matte finish listed was also a surprise to me for a track car. It has the same code (OK1) as Oryx white pearl effect has. This may be a unique case where one paint code refers to two very different colours. Do you know more about the origins of Oryx?

Not totally. The idea of it drifted into Porsche PTS via a VW special paint named that color. It's available on the new VW Beetle and Jetta. But our PTS in that color is extra complicated to apply and probably offers a superior result. Thus, it apparently merits the double price of US$11,000 instead of the regular US$5500.

I recall from the prior thread https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...new-color.html that this was once seen on a Turbo. Was this a very special paint that was not attached to a particular model of car but could be ordered by paint cognoscenti? Perhaps the other matte and satin paints will also be unattached to any car in like manner and thus not be RS colours per se. IMO one notable thing about the "new" ones is that they appear starting in 2014, whereas Oryx is listed from 2010 onwards. So, in either case, it is a new colour to look out for, even if it may not show up on the RS.

We will find out soon!

Again, many thanks for your insights! I always enjoy reading what you have to say.
Thanks,
Saludos
Eduardo

Attached Images  
Old 01-05-2015, 02:54 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you imagine this thing in ORANGE?!

Also anyone notice the wider Fenders? I mean the fender itself is wider and theres no arch extensions. Maybe P will fit 255 or even 265 up front.

To quote Bourdain- "This thing would even give Hef an unassisted woody!"
Old 01-05-2015, 03:27 PM
snabbgt3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I forgot to mention wind buffeting. Its insane. I cant imagine tracking this car with the windows open. Imagine the worst buffeting banging you ever heard and do it times 3. I thought the windows were coming out and my ears clogged up, super crazy. If DE organizers will insist on windows completely down its a real big problem, we may have to stick CUP vented rear windows in or something because you cant see straight otherwise.
Concur with SamFromTx .... When tracking this car, both windows fully down and well-fitted helmet, have had NO bothersome buffeting ... at speeds approaching 150mph.

Those with buffeting, have your passenger window been up or only partially down?
Old 01-05-2015, 04:13 PM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 53 Posts

Track Monster ,,,,,,,,,,,love it
Old 01-05-2015, 04:18 PM
kevin1244
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
RU you guys kidding me ? ..Detroit for the launch ? I don't think so. Geneva it is.
I don't think it will be Detroit either but the press Jan 12th date makes you wonder.
Geneva will be the more exciting venue, at least from my perspective. I am looking forward to it.

Kevin.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:21 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin1244
I don't think it will be Detroit either but the press Jan 12th date makes you wonder.
Geneva will be the more exciting venue, at least from my perspective. I am looking forward to it.

Kevin.
I just want them to hurry up and announce the car and finalize dealer allocations so we can start specing the car.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:28 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by snabbgt3
Concur with SamFromTx .... When tracking this car, both windows fully down and well-fitted helmet, have had NO bothersome buffeting ... at speeds approaching 150mph.

Those with buffeting, have your passenger window been up or only partially down?
With both windows down, the buffeting starts around 100mph. It's very irritating.

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread