Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 11:48 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin1244
These pictures are obviously taken right after their venture in snow; which all of us have seen those pictures already. Whomever took these pictures was given access to the garage right after that venture. Thus, Porsche definitely letting pictures leak. Given how late this car is being introduced (due to 991 GT3 recall), Porsche must keep people interested; otherwise, we all would have had Speciale's in our garages by now!!
Given they want them to be released and an earlier press day date of Jan 12, is it possible that Detroit is when the release happens? I know it's odd, but Porsche hasn't done much at any of the auto shows in the last year.

Detroit looks like it could be very interesting this year, including a speculated Ford GT replacement and a more track focused mustang in the GT350R.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:45 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,667 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Because its N/A.

BTW I drove my first 991GT3 today. Not on track, but Deacon was kind enough to let me have a run in it up and down the road. Its broken in properly and tracked so I got to hammer it a little.

Damn what a rocket that thing is. For sure faster than a 4.0.
It takes off so hard, its hard to not be impressed but to have fun on the street means losing license fast. Its so hard core. Awesome easy daily comfy cruiser, you may have to flappy it for more quiet comfort, interesting.

Makes me wonder what they can do to make the RS racier except of course lighter and a bit more HP.

I tried full auto I tried manual paddle shifting both and its made me giggle.
Not sure how much manual I would drive it but with the RPM range the choice of gears is a bit bewildering almost.

So the pull from 7K to 9K is just stupid fast, I get that now. Also nothing like Turbo power.
Also much more violent raise in RPM than the 4.0 not due to motor but RPM range shorter gearing and shift speed.

After flappying through the gears for the hell of it on a straight street I put it in D, its in 7th gear and I figure let me roll into it and see if it goes back 1-2-3 or 4 gears down depending on throttle input. Nope BAM 2nd, pulling on the reigns. This was without PDK sport activated. Holy hell...

Than again, I drove my EClass 200HP 2400lb stock 83RS and it was a joy to drive on the track as well, lightness nimbleness that's gone from the comfy GT3's....

Still hate PDK at parking speeds, but OK we're not going to be handing it to the Valet so i'll deal with it.
did i not tell you this few weeks ago? you will like it.
my old 7's are going to be bubble wrapped and flog this beast.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:53 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Peter,

for the same money would you get 15 gt3, or 997.2 rs?
Old 01-05-2015, 01:29 AM
kevin1244
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Given they want them to be released and an earlier press day date of Jan 12, is it possible that Detroit is when the release happens? I know it's odd, but Porsche hasn't done much at any of the auto shows in the last year.

Detroit looks like it could be very interesting this year, including a speculated Ford GT replacement and a more track focused mustang in the GT350R.
I agree, Detroit could be very interesting. My sole purpose is to see the Porsche launch colors in person. If it's Detroit, it would be easier to get travel reservations. I keep the Geneva tickets for some good skiing in the Alps!
Old 01-05-2015, 02:08 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, Detroit could be very interesting. My sole purpose is to see the Porsche launch colors in person. If it's Detroit, it would be easier to get travel reservations. I keep the Geneva tickets for some good skiing in the Alps!
RU you guys kidding me ? ..Detroit for the launch ? I don't think so. Geneva it is.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:18 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

These pictures are obviously taken right after their venture in snow; which all of us have seen those pictures already. Whomever took these pictures was given access to the garage right after that venture. Thus, Porsche definitely letting pictures leak. Given how late this car is being introduced (due to 991 GT3 recall), Porsche must keep people interested; otherwise, we all would have had Speciale's in our garages by now!!

My guess is that Johan9ff to lives in Germany.

I also guess that the test mules that where here in Sweden went home until Christmas. (Irritating enough they must pass my town on their way back to Germany... did not see them.)

And Germany do have snow as well :-)
Old 01-05-2015, 07:23 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you "shut up and drive" Peter? Haha
Old 01-05-2015, 09:05 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,643 Likes on 762 Posts

Yup,

Now I have to decide if I want a dependable (TBD) Fiat or a GT3 (New GT4)..
Old 01-05-2015, 09:18 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
RU you guys kidding me ? ..Detroit for the launch ? I don't think so. Geneva it is.
I expect Geneva will be the facelift/new platform and "engine changes". I don't know what is meant by engine changes, but was told to expect them sooner rather than later.

Detroit creates some space for the more important general 911 refresh. Just some hopeful speculation...
Old 01-05-2015, 09:39 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,643 Likes on 762 Posts

I forgot to mention wind buffeting.
Its insane. I cant imagine tracking this car with the windows open. Imagine the worst buffeting banging you ever heard and do it times 3.
I thought the windows were coming out and my ears clogged up, super crazy. If DE organizers will insist on windows completely down its a real big problem, we may have to stick CUP vented rear windows in or something because you cant see straight otherwise.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:11 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,350 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
its a known issue with all 991 iterations. some even put a thig-a-ma-jig by the side mirrors to stop it.
Are there are any options besides this? http://www.awe-tuning.com/awe-tuning...-wind-diffuser

And do we have feedback on what actually works and doesn't work?
Old 01-05-2015, 10:37 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,864 Likes on 964 Posts

Now I have to decide if I want a dependable (TBD) Fiat or a GT3 (New GT4)..
Get a Fiat. You can get a used 458 Challenge for less the new RS is likely to cost you out the door. Plus Rennlist needs someone to fill the void of Rad's rants.

http://www.jamesedition.com/cars/ferrari/458-challenge

http://racecarsdirect.com/searchresu...&submit=Search
Old 01-05-2015, 10:50 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobalt
My guess is that Johan9ff to lives in Germany
Pictures appear to be taken near/around Zuffenhausen factory (my guess). Similar garage architecture and parking stall numbering as the museum, but no doubt a secured area not publicly accessible.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:04 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by <3mph
Pictures appear to be taken near/around Zuffenhausen factory (my guess). Similar garage architecture and parking stall numbering as the museum, but no doubt a secured area not publicly accessible.
Here's a picture from the museums garage, I must agree they look similar. Look at the gray painting on the pillar.

http://www.gtspirit.com/wp-content/g...ttgart_007.jpg
Old 01-05-2015, 11:27 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,667 Likes on 2,331 Posts

I forgot to mention wind buffeting.
Its insane. I cant imagine tracking this car with the windows open. Imagine the worst buffeting banging you ever heard and do it times 3.
I thought the windows were coming out and my ears clogged up, super crazy. If DE organizers will insist on windows completely down its a real big problem, we may have to stick CUP vented rear windows in or something because you cant see straight otherwise.
haha, i thought that's just me.
i drove on at THill. at 100+, even with helmet on, my ear drums were on the verge of self destruction.

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread