Sponsored by:

GT3 production delays.... again!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 02:11 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Manifold
The many GT3s I've seen at the track have mainly been in upper run groups and driven pretty hard. I look at the GT3 as a track car (not race car) that can be driven on the street, the Carrera as a street car which can be enjoyed at the track, and the 911 cup car as a race car that can't be driven on the street.
Semantics, I guess, but I look at the option list for the GT3 and conclude that somebody must think it's a street car!
Old 10-14-2013, 02:12 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I realize my 4 trouble-free seasons of autocrossing a 9A1 C2S with PDK doesn't legitimize my experience with some here, but I do know other owners who have heavily tracked cars identical to my old car without problems.

Beyond that, since we don't know what the specific concern is regarding the delay, any speculation about whether the fix will be something short of what it needs to be is just that, speculation. Call it wishful thinking if you like, but FCOL; I'm confident Porsche engineers can figure out what's needed to upgrade a connecting rod, for example, without having to put it through another year and million miles of testing. Every new car has issues that are discovered in testing and no manufacturer resets the testing clock to zero every time a defect is found.

For those with orders, the delay is a minor inconvenience. For those without orders or little prospect of ever placing one, the gloating I-told-you-so comments I've seen in some posts are unseemly.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:19 PM
tmg57
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I realize my 4 trouble-free seasons of autocrossing a 9A1 C2S with PDK doesn't legitimize my experience with some here, but I do know other owners who have heavily tracked cars identical to my old car without problems.

Beyond that, since we don't know what the specific concern is regarding the delay, any speculation about whether the fix will be something short of what it needs to be is just that, speculation. Call it wishful thinking if you like, but FCOL; I'm confident Porsche engineers can figure out what's needed to upgrade a connecting rod, for example, without having to put it through another year and million miles of testing. Every new car has issues that are discovered in testing and no manufacturer resets the testing clock to zero every time a defect is found.

For those with orders, the delay is a minor inconvenience. For those without orders or little prospect of ever placing one, the gloating I-told-you-so comments I've seen in some posts are unseemly.
Mike, your experience is vastly insufficient. You haven't run the Mille Miglia, or the Targa Florio, or anything that would tell us what me must know.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:36 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Lots of folks are tracking and racing PDK Cayman / Cayman S / Cayman R. Granted that's a lower power level, but it tends to say PDK can survive on the track as long as temperatures are managed. I haven't found any discussions of PDK catestrophic faliures.

I've considering picking up a Cayman R as a track car that my wife could drive too.

Firstly, I don't know any specifics about the issue that Porsche is having with GT3 powerplants. My day job is in Engineering. Endurance testing is no doubt the best way to test parts. There are accelerated testing methods, but they all have their compromises.

This is going to be my first Porsche. The GT3 has always been a car you could drive to the track, flog it pretty hard and drive home. I think this is what most of us want, a car that is reliable enough that we can drive it hard and not be sitting on pins and needles waiting for the engine to grenade.

Ryan
Old 10-14-2013, 02:58 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,331 Likes on 2,464 Posts

For those without orders or little prospect of ever placing one, the gloating I-told-you-so comments I've seen in some posts are unseemly.
Not my motive at all. I'm still considering the car, and will continue to scrutinize it until I decide. I want this car to be great (both in test drives and long-term), but won't bury my head in the sand or engage in wishful thinking in order to believe that. Maybe the current issues will be resolved and the car will be fine. Or not. We'll see.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:01 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by reidry
Endurance testing is no doubt the best way to test parts. There are accelerated testing methods, but they all have their compromises.

This is going to be my first Porsche. The GT3 has always been a car you could drive to the track, flog it pretty hard and drive home. I think this is what most of us want, a car that is reliable enough that we can drive it hard and not be sitting on pins and needles waiting for the engine to grenade.

Ryan
Understood, Ryan. This will be my first GT3, but my 4th 911. Over a 30 year period I've driven them all hard, on the street and on track, and have never had an engine grenade or fail for any reason. A small sample, to be sure, but it inspires confidence I guess. Just my opinion, but nothing I've read here has me on pins and needle about the reliability of the new car.

Originally Posted by Manifold
Not my motive at all. I'm still considering the car, and will continue to scrutinize it until I decide. I want this car to be great (both in test drives and long-term), but won't bury my head in the sand or engage in wishful thinking in order to believe that. Maybe the current issues will be resolved and the car will be fine. Or not. We'll see.
I'd actually not seen any "I told you so" comments from you, Manifold, so I wasn't referring to your posts in that regard. For someone who professes interest though, you display an awful lot of skepticism and are considering alternatives that really aren't in the same class, so I have to say it's hard for me to figure out where you're coming from on the car.

I don't think the new GT3 has "issues". A problem was discovered when it should have been discovered, during testing and before the car was released to customers. If you believe a major manufacturer like Porsche won't be able to fix that problem, then your faith in the brand is probably unredeemable and you shouldn't ever consider buying a car from them again. To think that they will be able to address the issue isn't sticking your head in the sand, it's just common sense.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 10-14-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:42 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,331 Likes on 2,464 Posts

I'd actually not seen any "I told you so" comments from you, Manifold, so I wasn't referring to your posts in that regard. For someone who professes interest though, you display an awful lot of skepticism and are considering alternatives that really aren't in the same class, so I have to say it's hard for me to figure out where you're coming from on the car.

I don't think the new GT3 has "issues". A problem was discovered when it should have been discovered, during testing and before the car was released to customers. If you believe a major manufacturer like Porsche won't be able to fix that problem, then your faith in the brand is probably unredeemable and you shouldn't ever consider buying a car from them again. To think that they will be able to address the issue isn't sticking your head in the sand, it's just common sense.
LOL on the first part, I know what you mean. But it's because the 991 GT3 isn't quite what I wanted it to be, so that has me considering some rather different options (eg, M3/4). Porsche could easily have made a 991 GT3 that would have been a no-brainer for me, especially at the current price.

As far as my faith in Porsche, I have to admit that I don't like the direction they've gone in various ways, so I'm generally more skeptical about everything they do because of that.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:01 PM
tmg57
Racer

Originally Posted by 911rox
The reality is that the skeptics amongst us have long had concerns about an all new engine/trans combo for a track focused car, especially one that hasn't spent time in a race car where real testing takes place... Traditionally, technology developed in motorsport, eventually filters to the street. Nope, not now with Porsche, they put a 'race' engine in a street car then into race cars...
Doesn't a new engine need to appear in production vehicles before it can satisfy homologation rules for race series?
Old 10-14-2013, 04:32 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennteam
Guys, I already said it on a different forum and I will repeat it here again:
There seem to be two issues, PDK and engine. I won't go into details because I simply can't and it wouldn't do any good but Porsche is aware of the issues, they caught them in time, the production has been delayed indeed but fixes are already in the works and the car will be even "better" than before, believe it or not.
It is very unfortunate that this happened but sh.t happens.
Just relax, as soon as first cars arrive at customers, the issues will be forgotten.
According to rumors, production may not start again until mid/end November but it really depends on how fast the fixes will be applied. I expect first customer cars for december delivery in Germany but don't nail me on this one, I do not work for Porsche.
Originally Posted by tmg57
A refundable deposit doesn't mean anything. It just allows a prolonged "tire kicking" session. You've posted enough "questions", "concerns", and "troubles" about the new car to make it appear that you really aren't going to buy one.

Concerning track use, I run my PDK 991S without any issues at all. I will expect no less from the GT3. Of course, any car, from any manufacturer, can have issues. If so, I will deal with it. At least I won't be waiting forever for the perfect car.
The 991 GT3 has a heady 9000 rpm redline, and a new PDK-S with brutally fast shift speeds. Those are the areas of concern, and the 991S has neither the sky high 9000 rpm redline, nor the PDK-S.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:45 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

With the greatest of respect Mike, you and others have spent the past twelve months convincing us that the new GT3 is a whole lot different in its drivetrain than the 9A1 based cars. So how can you sit there and now claim that considering your previous car survived 4 seasons, so will the new car??? Your old car didn't run light weight internals, rocker arms, a 9000rpm redline etc etc... I thought it only shared a case and head bolts???

In reality, to date there have been no known rods exiting casings on Carreras that have been brought to light yet claims of two here for the new motor... I'm sorry, you're welcome to continue to be dismissive all you like but that won't change reliability concerns.

And really? Testing isn't that important? If real world testing was't important, car companies wouldn't fly cars all over the world for testing in the first place. Overheating issues should have been identified long ago. If the engine was needed to rev till 9000rpm all day, it should have been designed to run at 9500rpm without breaking out a sweat and the CLs on our 997.2 should have been tested under race conditions with cars on slicks to far exceed anything customers could ever throw at them, rather than becoming youtube sensations for going down the NBR sideways on three wheels.

For me, the reality is that Porsche engineering has become very sloppy with their engineering and testing in recent years! It may be fine for a Toyota Prius that does highway speeds but not a marque renowned for it track ability and being run at warp speed as marketed... My further $0.02...
Old 10-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think we have to be a bit careful here. One guy on one forum says rods through cases in recent journo drives. Not what I was told. I think maybe we might have heard of this through the interweb thingy if it had have happened. Dont you think it would be a scandal. EVO, CAR and many magazines now doing big comparo test with the 991 GT3 and even before guys like Harris and Kahn driving them hard in late Aug and early Sept - you think we may have heard something by now if they were throwing rods through casings? Come on? Really? Thrashed at the ring by Timo Kluck and Rohl and throw a rod when being driven at 7/10th on a country road in Germany?

Mmmmm. Something isnt right here.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:04 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was posted on the interwebs. Must be true.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:07 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Macca, agreed but considering failure stories have come from three to four sources here including yourself and then we've had someone from Rennteam chime in and defend, I'd say there's substance...
Old 10-14-2013, 07:37 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Chris. Only one source here claims there have been catastrophic failures of big end rods on public roads at the hand of third party independent testers!

That's a bit different from what I and others may have been told. Im not saying it isnt true but what I am saying is my sources have not told be that so at this stage I would see it as possibly a bit sensationalist and actually quite unlikely. But I may be wrong.

All I was informed (by reliable source) was that there was a durability issue identified with the rods in the 991 GT3 engine during inspection when the mules engines were broken down at the end of the testing procedure and prior to the manufacturing process and upon subsequent consideration it was decided a stronger redesigned component was required to ensure life durability. The PDK-S box was just a decision to add further cooling in order to again ensure durability. The existing design showed no signs of fault only that it would benefit during repeated abuse from additional/better cooling circuit.

Both these issues have been in hand for months. This is not new as I was led to understand and a solution is found, parts are in order and to be delivered very shortly. Delay perhaps 4-8 weeks expected on initial orders but by Q2 2014 production everything should be caught up.

This "rod through crankcase" x 2 incidents on public road test driving 6-8 weeks ago is the post (on this board only) which has caused alarmist situation I believe totally unwarranted. Whats the chances after 2 years of testing with this engine that 2 out of 18 press cars produced threw a rod? Given every press car picture I have seen (and I believe I have seen them all!) shows maximum Kms of well under 8000 (most only 1500-2000) I would have to say that either they ran 20 cars off for Journos using a faulty component which went bang (i.e. that competent did not match the original design requirements as run by the mule cars) or its BS IMHO. If it were a design issue only and not a supplier part fault then it makes no sense why brand new cars would go bang when abused mules have no issues.....

I think people need to use some common sense here. There are alot of people waiting in the wings to crucify this car but actually I think there are also many connoisseurs and well known racers who have one on order, have driven it and love it, this includes a couple of very high profile race guys and a very well known DTM racer at the Ring etc. Yet none of us have still yet driven it....

Anyway its a most fascinating tale of mystery and intrigue...
Old 10-14-2013, 07:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

With the greatest of respect Mike, you and others have spent the past twelve months convincing us that the new GT3 is a whole lot different in its drivetrain than the 9A1 based cars. So how can you sit there and now claim that considering your previous car survived 4 seasons, so will the new car??? Your old car didn't run light weight internals, rocker arms, a 9000rpm redline etc etc... I thought it only shared a case and head bolts???
Chris, with all due respect on my part as well (damn, we're all getting so polite ) let's clarify a few things.

First, in the course of this discussion a specific question was asked about a dozen posts ago: "How many track days have you done with your 991S and how hard have you driven it on track?". I responded with my experience with a DFI motor and PDK and that of others I know about.

In reality, to date there have been no known rods exiting casings on Carreras that have been brought to light yet claims of two here for the new motor... I'm sorry, you're welcome to continue to be dismissive all you like but that won't change reliability concerns.
In reality, to date what we have here are unverified internet claims of rods exiting crankcases in the 991 GT3 in the hands of testers, with no details on any circumstances surrounding the supposed event(s). Even IF it happened, to suggest that this may signal an unfixable problem for Porsche (it's a con rod for christ sake), and causes concern for someone who has no interest in buying the car, seems a bit over the top.

And really? Testing isn't that important? If real world testing was't important, car companies wouldn't fly cars all over the world for testing in the first place. Overheating issues should have been identified long ago. If the engine was needed to rev till 9000rpm all day, it should have been designed to run at 9500rpm without breaking out a sweat and the CLs on our 997.2 should have been tested under race conditions with cars on slicks to far exceed anything customers could ever throw at them, rather than becoming youtube sensations for going down the NBR sideways on three wheels.
I never suggested, even remotely, that testing wasn't important. It apparently uncovered this problem before the car was in the hands of the public. What I suggested was that once a problem is identified, evaluated, and fixed, the testing clock isn't reset to zero and another million miles of testing required, although I'm willing to bet that somewhere in the heart of Zuffenhausen several upgraded GT3 engines have been screaming along at 9K+ for some time now just to be sure.

For me, the reality is that Porsche engineering has become very sloppy with their engineering and testing in recent years! It may be fine for a Toyota Prius that does highway speeds but not a marque renowned for it track ability and being run at warp speed as marketed... My further $0.02...
Obviously you're entitled to your opinion about this, but I think you are grossly overstating the case with your comment about "very sloppy" engineering. I've owned Porsches for 30 years and there have always been a few flies in the ointment, as there are with every automobile. In general though, there has been no decline in overall quality that I can see (to the contrary) and customer surveys bear that out. However, if that's the way you feel you're probably right not to consider buying a 991 GT3. I'll suffer though my future ownership on your behalf, and let you know how it goes.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 10-14-2013 at 08:19 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: GT3 production delays.... again!