Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 production delays.... again!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 06:36 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

CBG. This wasnt disclosed to me. These must have been September testers. More serious than I was led to believe.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:43 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
CBG. This wasnt disclosed to me. These must have been September testers. More serious than I was led to believe.
Oops.

Stuff is surely stupid expensive in Australia, id say double cost of living in Florida.
Been here a week now.

I had that coming calling a GT3 a GTS, but don't take or make it personal, I'm just typing about dreams, lusting, big money and the fear of parking it in a GT3.
The RS better be a time machine if the $180K price tag is correct. The 997RS was a deal at 132K..

No CPA would suggest me that I can afford a GT3 or that it's a sound investment to buy a GT3 although I lucked out investing my first money (discretionary ) in a GT3 instead of the market in 08 and done well with all 4 GT3's relative to the punishment I put them through, I did get into the market in 09 and had a decent run. I'm no millionaire I think, I have to ask my wife and CPA. The 4.0 excursion thought me I'm OK to write off a GT3 and it would hurt, but the 4.0 values made me uncomfortable to track it and sold too early.

Warranty and track worthiness are what keeps me awake at night. Manual CUP car is no warranty, GT3 track worthy with testers blowing up? Warranty? I worry too much, because im too poor.

WTF is Peter Jackson?
Old 10-13-2013, 09:15 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CBG
This is simply false information. I personally know of two 'real' big end rod failures with parts exiting the cc on press cars during test drives.
The GT3 package is awe inspiring, big end rod failures possibly as late as September dampen that quite a bit.

Makes me wonder if I should just grab an X51 car for the time being.

Ryan
Old 10-13-2013, 09:35 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

X51 manual?
Old 10-13-2013, 09:39 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
X51 manual?
Well ... if it was just for me, yes. However, my wife cannot drive a manual and our agreement on the next weekend / track toy is she must be able to drive it also.

Ryan
Old 10-13-2013, 09:57 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

:-) My wife can (German) but to her the best parts of the new GT3RS is both Euro delivery and the automatic..
Old 10-13-2013, 10:02 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CBG
This is simply false information. I personally know of two 'real' big end rod failures with parts exiting the cc on press cars during test drives.
Now that is a more plausible explanation for the kind of unexplained delays being seen... Especially when there is talk of 20+ completed cars sitting and waiting at the factory... If they were awaiting parts upgrades, there wouldn't be built cars... Ouch!
Old 10-13-2013, 01:12 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,331 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
If I were an internal PAG lawyer I'd have them handle it exactly as they have. Deny track coverage in writing and cover it on a case by case basis. Underpromise and overdeliver.
Beyond the evident hypocrisy of advertising one thing and committing to something else, that puts the risk on the customer. I'm not sure I'm willing to take that risk on this 'experimental' car, especially given the issues we're already hearing about.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:46 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,217 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I'm just concerned that once I drive this ill never be satisfied with anything else again.. It's dangerous to become accustomed to the finer things.
That's true, so be careful. I noticed it myself. It's a deceptive feeling, especially if you do not have a beater-type cars. You forget that you are driving a masterpiece of a car and think that every car is like that. Then you get into a rental or a friend's car and think "OMG, this should be illegal for public roads". I even saw it with my wife, who differentiates cars mostly by color ("why are you so excited about that red porche? you already had a red car.") We picked up a rental Mazda 6, and she wanted to exchange it because "it is broken - takes too long to react to turning or pedals and is not safe". The car was just fine for what is was. So it's not even the enthusiast thing.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Yup. Impossible for rumored problem to be fixed. Never happened before in the history of car making. Failed experiment. Car is doomed. Potential customers are doomed. Porsche is doomed. Cancel my order.

Good grief....
Old 10-13-2013, 05:44 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Beyond the evident hypocrisy of advertising one thing and committing to something else
I have a Toyota Tundra. Never once did I think that it was a suitable vehicle for towing the space shuttle. Nor did I think that a green lizard was the best place to buy car insurance.

Advertising is. . . . advertising.

Originally Posted by Manifold
that puts the risk on the customer. I'm not sure I'm willing to take that risk on this 'experimental' car, especially given the issues we're already hearing about.
Then don't.

Not sure how you think Porsche is any more or less special than any other manufacturer when it comes to warranty claims stemming from track use.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:55 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm now understanding why the new powerplant has an awesome metallic sound beyond 8500 rpm, as described by some journalists, it's the sound of an engine grenading...

It is because Porsche are so questionable with warranty coverage that a GT3 needs to have an engine with mezger like reliability... Because it's a given that a proportion of them are going to cop a cup car like beating and unlike race teams, customers aren't bottomless pits of money capable of rebuilds every year...
Old 10-13-2013, 06:42 PM
Rallyeporsche
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Quote from the recent PAG posting: "Currently, we are not able to provide new production or delivery dates. Updated information about further procedure and delivery dates will be communicated by the end of October 2013."

My dealer delivery date has already moved from 12/20/13 to 1/10/14.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:58 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

deleted
Old 10-13-2013, 08:40 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

The engine issues are not surprising. Teething and early production issues occur in virtually any development project, doubly so if limits are being pushed. The only slight concern is the relatively late date that things seem to have been caught, perhaps due to a necessarily compressed schedule. Could have been a design issue or manufacturing, would be interesting to learn more.

The issues seem the result of a calculated risk- had the motor been in service in the cup cars nine months ago one assumes this would have been caught sooner. The was deemed impractical...

I appreciate the fact that Porsche is addressing the problems properly before shipment (one assumes). This is certainly not always the case:

When Chevrolet first released the Z06, they internally gave the car an exemption from their own engine durability standards- the motor couldn't pass the same bench tests required for every other Chevy engine. Not sure that was ever admitted to, but some customers learned the hard way that the motors were not as durable in track usage as they'd hoped. Very glad Porsche is delaying delivery rather than choosing that particular path...

Quick Reply: GT3 production delays.... again!