Sponsored by:

GT3 production delays.... again!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 01:40 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 359 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Now...has anyone paid attention to what's been going in with the C7 deliveries? What a fiasco! Transmission failures, QC issues across the board. One example of sport seats where the mounting bolts weren't even finger tight...
Read about them...

That's why,besides price,it never got my attention to seriously consider it...I knew the savings have to come from somewhere...plus the looks...that rear...forget about it...

Back on subject,I'm hopeful...since Porsche caught it in time and doesn't really affect its name...way better than a recall!
Old 10-11-2013, 01:41 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Manifold
True, but Porsche has delved into somewhat new territory with 9K redline, RWS, and PDK in a GT3, so I think that elevates the risk of unforeseen problems in the future.

Speaking of which, what have people heard about durability and overheating of PDK in other Porsches that have been heavily tracked? I don't see many PDK cars at the track, and none that I've seen have had a lot of track miles.
I've tracked my 2012 991 Carrera C2S and 2010 Panamera S with PDK / SC.
PDK's have been reliable so far with limited and relatively low track times.

Seems to me a temporary Engine "fix" might be to reprogram the GT3 computer lowering the redline to the HP peak of 8,250 RPM until a thoroughly tested solution is found. HP and Torque would remain unchanged, and, with the close ratio gears in the PDK/S Box, an upshift would still put you close to peak torque. I would guess laptimes might not be significantly altered. Personally, I'd trade the sex appeal of a 9,000 RPM screamer for a bulletproof engine any day.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:46 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Seems to me a temporary Engine "fix" might be to reprogram the GT3 computer lowering the redline to the HP peak of 8,250 RPM until a thoroughly tested solution is found. HP and Torque would remain unchanged, and, with the close ratio gears in the PDK/S Box, an upshift would still put you close to peak torque. I would guess laptimes might not be significantly altered. Personally, I'd trade the sex appeal of a 9,000 RPM screamer for a bulletproof engine any day.
No way that's happening!

All of Porsche advertising talks about the engine screaming between 8500-9K,can you imagine what a total fiasco would be to change that now?!
Old 10-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by tmg57
Sorry, can't agree with that conclusion. I'm surprised that any company will warranty track usage.

You claim to run 30 days a year. At 200 miles per day, you could have 24,000 track miles on the car before the warranty expired. Would you give somebody a warranty for that kind of use?
+1

As to the rod failures, if true, there's a difference between a design flaw and parts that aren't spec'd adequately. If the problem is related to the former, then we have a problem. OTOH, there's nothing magical about 9K rpm that is beyond the reach of adequately robust parts. Macca is certainly correct when he suggests that components are being upgraded to fix the problem, and it's being dealt with before the cars are in the hands of any customers.

The sky is not falling.....
Old 10-11-2013, 02:02 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed!
Old 10-11-2013, 02:13 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by neanicu
That statement is valid with any manufacturer...

The biggest problem I see is what can be done now to fix it last minute.......
I think this is a serious mistake in your thinking, Porsche is not "any manufacturer", second, this is the GT3 - it must sustain more stress and wear than a panamera, or 991, or Cayenne..and certainly more than a Golf, a GM or any other "normal car" from any manufacturer.

Mike already pointed out the issues..again:

1. Suppliers didnt deliver what was being asked for
or
2. Porsche´s orginal design with the quality in the parts wasnt there - then they cant fix this properly in 3 month - never. Of course they can deliver something..but whether it would last..not that long probably. And from what I heard, the piston issue is real, engines blew up during testing.

Im wondering now when this engine will show up in racing..I doubt it will be there early next season..I doubted that already before,,,but now I doubt it even more..
Old 10-11-2013, 02:24 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,331 Likes on 2,464 Posts

No way that's happening!

All of Porsche advertising talks about the engine screaming between 8500-9K,can you imagine what a total fiasco would be to change that now?!
The 9K redline has never had much appeal to me. I'd rather give up 1K at the top end to get a better torque curve across the rev range. And that makes even more sense for the majority of people who'll be mainly driving the car on the street.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:31 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
I think this is a serious mistake in your thinking, Porsche is not "any manufacturer"...)
It looks like you're agreeing with everything I've posted about this issue,including my racing statement,except that I don't want to " pick up a gun and shoot Porsche " just yet,if they can fix the problem in decent time...
Old 10-11-2013, 02:45 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

The 9K redline has never had much appeal to me. I'd rather give up 1K at the top end to get a better torque curve across the rev range. And that makes even more sense for the majority of people who'll be mainly driving the car on the street.
You're probably right,but if they fitted this car with a manual,I would have definitely tested those last 500 RPMs to hear it scream You don't have to go too fast,you can do it from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th...
What puzzles me is how come they didn't discover this issue during testing?! I see teaser videos all the time from Porsche during testing...from freezing temperatures to the desert heat,they register thousands of miles and none of these problems occurred?!
Old 10-11-2013, 02:57 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

I think this is fantastic news ab the high rpm issues. Now Porsche can't back down from their 9k rev line, and they can't jack up the price on 2014 cars, so they will have to introduce costly Ti upgrades which normally might be reserved for a racing engine. This will take the engine from being over stressed to relatively under stressed, and we'll get some exotic parts for free.

I'm sure there will be a significant price hikes later on so they can recoup from this blunder.. But this is really good news for those of us on the list... How often does his happen where mAjor engine issues are caught so early? We're a lucky bunch of fokkers we are!
Old 10-11-2013, 03:15 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector

...Im wondering now when this engine will show up in racing..I doubt it will be there early next season..I doubted that already before,,,but now I doubt it even more..
My information is that the RSR will continue with the current engine until the 2015 season when it will be replaced with a DFI motor.

I believe that you mentioned hearing that the new motor will not be from the current 991 GT3. I don't know about that, but I wonder what it would be? Further, why develop this engine to use in a relative handful of GT3's in 2014 and, maybe, 2015?
Old 10-11-2013, 03:44 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

It looks like you're agreeing with everything I've posted about this issue,including my racing statement,except that I don't want to " pick up a gun and shoot Porsche " just yet,if they can fix the problem in decent time...
yeah..youre right...usually we agree....keep the good posting coming
Old 10-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
The engine will be strong for 10,000 rpm.
That's interesting. With the PDK they can absolutely guarantee the motor will never see 10k...

Are they building it for 10k as an additional margin of safety even though they don't need it? For future upgrade potential? For marketing?

A manual transmission car does require an additional margin of safety. Just sayin...
Old 10-11-2013, 03:53 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tmg57
My information is that the RSR will continue with the current engine until the 2015 season when it will be replaced with a DFI motor.

I believe that you mentioned hearing that the new motor will not be from the current 991 GT3. I don't know about that, but I wonder what it would be? Further, why develop this engine to use in a relative handful of GT3's in 2014 and, maybe, 2015?
I said that I hoped there might be this other option..I didnt say for 100%..in fact I dont know. What I always more or less knew is what you said, no 991 GT3 engine in CUP-RSR 2014.

What Im trying to say, and at the same time I do hope this happens, Porsche needs a B8 - otherwise this case is lost. Manthey developped a 4.4L based on the current 991 RSR engine for the VLN series in Germany..he said that just by the gained torque he was able to catch up significantly.

Just to be clear, in order for Porsche to win in the GTclass (except the lucky win in Le Mans the season was more or less a disappointment) they should not continue with the Mezger engine, but it seems they have no alternative left for the moment. The current regulations are clearly pro 8 Cylinder..a 6 Cylinder DFI or Mezger...wont solve the problem. This is my humble opinion..time will tell..

We should all pray this would happen..because I dont see Porsche continueing like this for years ...
Old 10-11-2013, 05:31 PM
RobSpyder
Instructor

I disagree here. My turbo BMW and Aston annoy the crap out of me with their low rev limits. The 9k redline is of great appeal.

Quick Reply: GT3 production delays.... again!