Sponsored by:

GT3 production delays.... again!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 07:46 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,670 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
C'mon, Nick. No one is being put down, unless you're referring to those who have been told they are fanboys or have been drinking Kool-Aid for being positive. Let's not become so sensitive all of a sudden; it cuts both ways. And people have been "expressing their concerns" for the past year; I don't think anyone is suffering from having their POV suppressed.

There have been a few posts where people seemed a little too gleeful about the supposed "issues", as in "I told you so", when in fact at this point there is nothing to tell. That does seem a bit like something your 12 year old would do. Regardless, we are all free to express our concerns and opinions, just as we always have. There are no victims that I can see.....
My feelings are hurt once or twice by being put down and I could not eat sleep or concentrate on life for days, but only because I deserve it by referring to the car as a GTS for posers and not a GT3.

That's cool because I'm a gentle soul and will have to learn to live in this harsh world.
That and I don't express everything all that clearly typing and even if clear, still cool and deserved. The car will be fine or perfect for the occasional track day and would make and awesome daily driver if it had ventilated sport seats or remote start, but now I get too picky again and start looking for features that are std on Hyundai's and Chevy's.

Repeating myself here, but its to make a point that if these things are blowing up or just have mild issues depending on POV its due to not racing the damn thing while calling it a GT3. In my mind these 2 go hand in hand or it becomes, well a GTS.

GTS cars are great, awesome, Id get the ventilated seats C2S manual but here I go whining again..
I want a GT3, a car based on a race car and I want the manual, but the PDK might be possible to learn to love. I cant judge yet.

My POV is coming from extreme abuse to the car beating the living **** out of it on track 40-50 days a year, while ready for a new DE car Porsche wont give me what I want and I reserve the right to stamp my feet on the ground and hold my breath like a 5 year old till they do. That or not buy the car...

Unfortunately it seems that Porsche is really still the only track weapon of choice, if they prove that no longer to be true I will be really pissed and some of these facts and/or rumors hint at that may be true..
I may find myself meditating so I can put up with the salestards at Chevy, or take drugs before I go to the dealer. I cant do it in my normal gentle state for sure.

Adding a rumored price of the RS of $180K, Porsche better takes care of those worries right? I'm probably out at that price anyway as my little 4.0 experiment taught me that I'm not comfortable throwing that much money around the track and will need to look at the GT3 and that brings me full circle to my first GT3 that was perfect but just wasn't the RS..

Ugh, I wanted it to just be my dream car..
My dream car I am comfortable beating up today is a CUP or my last 3.8RS that I sold to sample the 4.0. only to sell that when it got to dear
Haven't found a CUP yet, so I'm mucking about in on my redneck Rustang throwing good money after bad, renting racecars and doing CAMP4 in Finland.

Cant wait for a year of people tracking the GT3 hard. Unfortunately of the many hard core track junkie 997 drivers no one I go to the track with has ordered a 991GT3, I think they share my worries.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:02 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,537 Posts

^ Well put, though only people who seriously track their cars will truly understand.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:31 AM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Manifold
^ Well put, though only people who seriously track their cars will truly understand.
Save your condescension. I find TC's remarks very easy to understand and appreciate.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:35 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tmg57
Save your condescension. I find TC's remarks very easy to understand and appreciate.
Save your indignation. As countless posts show, only those who seriously track their cars will truly understand.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:47 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

You sum up my frustrations perfectly TC... Shame our concerns and frustrations are dismissed as a grievance against the new car...

I do still quietly hope that the 997s weren't the last of the serious trackworthy GT cars... GT cars were never the fastest in a straight line but the would smoke most things around a track and could do it ALL day long unlike any other competitor out there. That's what makes the GT cars special in my eyes...

Last edited by 911rox; 10-16-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:25 AM
wurlie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Racing. Not posing. ;-)
Old 10-16-2013, 12:41 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 289 Posts

Just curious, what would you guys consider to be seriously tracking? Talking DE in advanced run groups and open track days? how many days in a year?
Old 10-16-2013, 12:53 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably depends which groups you talk to. True serious track use is racing.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:53 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zedcat
Just curious, what would you guys consider to be seriously tracking? Talking DE in advanced run groups and open track days? how many days in a year?
At least ~20 days a year in upper DE run groups, not holding back much.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:55 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Probably depends which groups you talk to. True serious track use is racing.
Agree, though I'd never buy this car as a race car.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:04 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Save your indignation. As countless posts show, only those who seriously track their cars will truly understand.
And I think there are racers who have fewer issues with this car than "serious" DE'ers since we're drawings lines.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:16 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 289 Posts

Thanks. I was thinking of +/- 20 days per year. Time will tell, but I'm expecting the car to be up to it. We'll see.

For racing, if I get to that point, would be looking at SPB or 944. To go broke at a slightly slower pace!
Old 10-16-2013, 01:21 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by consolidated
And I think there are racers who have fewer issues with this car than "serious" DE'ers since we're drawings lines.
Why? I'd expect racers to drive it even harder than DEers, and the main question is whether the car will be able to withstand serious track use. (Assuming that track seats will be available soon, there will be enough track tire options in 20", etc.)
Old 10-16-2013, 02:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
My feelings are hurt once or twice by being put down and I could not eat sleep or concentrate on life for days, but only because I deserve it by referring to the car as a GTS for posers and not a GT3.

That's cool because I'm a gentle soul and will have to learn to live in this harsh world.
That and I don't express everything all that clearly typing and even if clear, still cool and deserved. The car will be fine or perfect for the occasional track day and would make and awesome daily driver if it had ventilated sport seats or remote start, but now I get too picky again and start looking for features that are std on Hyundai's and Chevy's.

Repeating myself here, but its to make a point that if these things are blowing up or just have mild issues depending on POV its due to not racing the damn thing while calling it a GT3. In my mind these 2 go hand in hand or it becomes, well a GTS.

GTS cars are great, awesome, Id get the ventilated seats C2S manual but here I go whining again..
I want a GT3, a car based on a race car and I want the manual, but the PDK might be possible to learn to love. I cant judge yet.

My POV is coming from extreme abuse to the car beating the living **** out of it on track 40-50 days a year, while ready for a new DE car Porsche wont give me what I want and I reserve the right to stamp my feet on the ground and hold my breath like a 5 year old till they do. That or not buy the car...

Unfortunately it seems that Porsche is really still the only track weapon of choice, if they prove that no longer to be true I will be really pissed and some of these facts and/or rumors hint at that may be true..
I may find myself meditating so I can put up with the salestards at Chevy, or take drugs before I go to the dealer. I cant do it in my normal gentle state for sure.

Adding a rumored price of the RS of $180K, Porsche better takes care of those worries right? I'm probably out at that price anyway as my little 4.0 experiment taught me that I'm not comfortable throwing that much money around the track and will need to look at the GT3 and that brings me full circle to my first GT3 that was perfect but just wasn't the RS..

Ugh, I wanted it to just be my dream car..
My dream car I am comfortable beating up today is a CUP or my last 3.8RS that I sold to sample the 4.0. only to sell that when it got to dear
Haven't found a CUP yet, so I'm mucking about in on my redneck Rustang throwing good money after bad, renting racecars and doing CAMP4 in Finland.

Cant wait for a year of people tracking the GT3 hard. Unfortunately of the many hard core track junkie 997 drivers no one I go to the track with has ordered a 991GT3, I think they share my worries.
I understand, Peter. Well, I may not "TRULY" understand as has been pointed out, but I have a pretty good idea of what you're saying and I appreciate it.

Just a thought on your comment in bold above: If, OTOH, the rumors of catastrophic failures in the hands of journos are false, (which, given the fact that those alleged journos have printed nothing about said failures, is highly likely), then all of this angst and concern about reliability over an apparent part upgrade , before any customer has taken delivery of a car, is a ****-storm in a teapot. As far as racing not/racing is concerned, despite the 997 GT3 being raced it didn't prevent catastrophic coolant failures, CL failures, burned out mufflers, failed LSD's, etc. in cars that were in customer hands. Just sayin'...it happens. Personally, until I have more information, I can find other things to worry about; dysfunctional government, asteroid strike, alien invasion.....

Last edited by Mike in CA; 10-16-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:13 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I think it is too early to make any conclusions.

Still, I just do not think a $180k+ car is an ideal candidate for a track toy.
A crazy collector`s rage about RS 4.0 is one thing, but, from a practical perspective, why would anybody do something like that?

Still, time will tell.

Quick Reply: GT3 production delays.... again!