Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

+1
Old 10-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
They stalled production to deal with a supplier quality issue and are getting criticized. If they hadn't stalled production, and dealt with the quality issues on a recall basis, they would have been criticized for not dealing with the problem before the cars were released. No win....

It's an imperfect world; there are frequently issues with new products, especially complex ones. It's how the manufacturer deals with them that's important to me. Personally, I'd rather have a problem dealt with before the product gets in my hands, even if it means having to wait a little longer for it.
+1
Old 10-05-2013, 03:33 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 91 Posts

They stalled production to deal with a supplier quality issue and are getting criticized. If they hadn't stalled production, and dealt with the quality issues on a recall basis, they would have been criticized for not dealing with the problem before the cars were released. No win....

It's an imperfect world; there are frequently issues with new products, especially complex ones. It's how the manufacturer deals with them that's important to me. Personally, I'd rather have a problem dealt with before the product gets in my hands, even if it means having to wait a little longer for it.
Mike, no one is criticizing Porsche for what is happening. The issue is the uncertainty of not only delivery but quality. Porsche is a money making business and they make money by selling cars. This prevents them from delivering cars (and get paid) within budgeted time tables. By any measure, this cannot be good for either Porsche or the buyer.

Personally, I don't care when delivery occurs. I had resigned myself to getting the car in late spring 2014 and it was a pleasant surprise to be told it would be delivered in mid February 2014. The last thing I would want is an accelerated production schedule to clear up the backlog and be faced with several major or minor quality issues especially with a high performance sport car.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:33 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry double post..
Old 10-05-2013, 03:45 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

couldnt agree more...but Im surprised that even you now somehow seem to admit that Porsche makes mistakes too (remember that I talked about delays already some time ago?).

PS: The road and track article also mentions that 991 RSR wont use the new 991 GT3 engine..you know - its my favorite subject -

Still hope you would get your new baby before christmas..
Old 10-05-2013, 04:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
couldnt agree more...but Im surprised that even you now somehow seem to admit that Porsche makes mistakes too (remember that I talked about delays already some time ago?).

PS: The road and track article also mentions that 991 RSR wont use the new 991 GT3 engine..you know - its my favorite subject -

Still hope you would get your new baby before christmas..
Don't be surprised. everybody makes mistakes including Porsche. In this case i think they're doing the right thing to make the best of a bad situation. Anyway thx, it will be here when it gets here.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:53 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nick
Mike, no one is criticizing Porsche for what is happening. The issue is the uncertainty of not only delivery but quality. Porsche is a money making business and they make money by selling cars. This prevents them from delivering cars (and get paid) within budgeted time tables. By any measure, this cannot be good for either Porsche or the buyer.

Personally, I don't care when delivery occurs. I had resigned myself to getting the car in late spring 2014 and it was a pleasant surprise to be told it would be delivered in mid February 2014. The last thing I would want is an accelerated production schedule to clear up the backlog and be faced with several major or minor quality issues especially with a high performance sport car.
I understand. Knowing how the production line works i don't think speeding it up is an option. I hope your concern is unfounded.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:37 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
At what point do some of us wind up with MY2015 cars?!?!
Q3 2014 production. Mine is just that and will be a MY2015.

When I ordered I had a choice between Q2 and 3, the latter being MY2015. Seemed like a no brainer to me.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:58 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a Q3 build also, but I'm told it will still be a 2014? My dealer had no allocations, but got me in due to our somewhat remote location. Maybe it is a 2015. I don't really care, other than the 2014 is kind of cool being the same year as the golden anniversary of the 911.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:14 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
I'm a Q3 build also, but I'm told it will still be a 2014? My dealer had no allocations, but got me in due to our somewhat remote location. Maybe it is a 2015. I don't really care, other than the 2014 is kind of cool being the same year as the golden anniversary of the 911.
maybe I am mis-informed.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Its always been the same. VIN number changes at PAG model year change always after August each year. Q3 covers both old MY and new MY. This is absolute - no confusion here - you can tell the MY of your car by your VIN...
Old 10-06-2013, 06:23 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

As posted in: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/775386-gt3-allocation-and-rs-pricing-question.html

"918 buyers get first right of refusal on all Porsche limited edition cars... Straight from the factory... for 10 years. THEN the remaining allocations are handed to the dealer network. There are over 200 current 918 buyers/orders now for the US market. How many of you 918 owners are going to eat up our less than 500 vehicle RS allotment? The top tier of Porsche model purchasing has just changed... Unless you bought a 918."

Today I received notice of additional delivery delay. My November 15 completion date has been changed again to January 10 and dealer delivery changed from Jan. 3rd to February 28th, 2014. Personally, I believe our early GT3s are being bumped and re-assigned to new 918 Buyers.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:40 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

You just got notified of a 2 month bump?!
Old 10-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
As posted in: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=775386

"918 buyers get first right of refusal on all Porsche limited edition cars... Straight from the factory... for 10 years. THEN the remaining allocations are handed to the dealer network. There are over 200 current 918 buyers/orders now for the US market. How many of you 918 owners are going to eat up our less than 500 vehicle RS allotment? The top tier of Porsche model purchasing has just changed... Unless you bought a 918."

Today I received notice of additional delivery delay. My November 15 completion date has been changed again to January 10 and dealer delivery changed from Jan. 3rd to February 28th, 2014. Personally, I believe our early GT3s are being bumped and re-assigned to new 918 Buyers.
Out of curiosity, what is your position on your dealer's waiting list? Any idea how many 918 buyers your dealer has? I had heard that GT3 allocations for 918 buyers would be over and above the normal allocation of GT3s. I also wonder if, assuming the bumping scenario you describe is true, whether it's being done on a universal basis or dealer by dealer.

OTOH, it's possible your delay has to do with the reported supplier issues, not with 918 buyers. I still haven't been notified of any change to my build schedule. Interesting......
Old 10-06-2013, 09:27 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
As posted in: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=775386

This is disturbing. Will check in the AM.. Allan

Quick Reply: GT3 production delays.... again!