Sponsored by:

GT3 production delays.... again!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
What puzzles me is how come they didn't discover this issue during testing?! I see teaser videos all the time from Porsche during testing...from freezing temperatures to the desert heat,they register thousands of miles and none of these problems occurred?!
Nick, clearly it has shown up in testing but I suspect it took time and some high mileage examples that had experienced hard use to finally manifest the problem. Obviously these issues didn't show up right away, and for some owners might never have shown up, but Porsche isn't risking that the car won't be right, and are taking proper precautions, as well they should.

I'm not happy about a delay and wish there wasn't a problem but it is what it is and given the circumstances it appears that a delay was the proper course of action. This will be fixed.....
Old 10-11-2013, 07:15 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 359 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Nick, clearly it has shown up in testing but I suspect it took time and some high mileage examples that had experienced hard use to finally manifest the problem. Obviously these issues didn't show up right away, and for some owners might never have shown up, but Porsche isn't risking that the car won't be right, and are taking proper precautions, as well they should. I'm not happy about a delay and wish there wasn't a problem but it is what it is and given the circumstances it appears that a delay was the proper course of action. This will be fixed.....
I think having a positive attitude about the whole thing is the way to go!
I'm sure they won't play a wild card and let these problems roll...I do hope they won't delay it much longer...
I was actually thinking that they've announced the Turbo and Turbo S a lot later than the GT3,yet some customers in Europe have already taken delivery of the Turbo S,while the GT3 is nowhere in sight...
Contrary to what some think about my posts,I really want the GT3 to be a great car,PDK and all...

Old 10-11-2013, 07:53 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just so there isn't any confusion I have learnt Porsche identified these issue some months ago on the test bench. They had hoped to have a production solution for the power unit that would not interrupt delivery, however the suppliers ability to put the improved part into (relatively) mass production in time has now affected the production timetable. This was hoped not to be the case 6 weeks ago but when you are dealing with exotic alloys to fine tolerances you cant just push a button on an NCR machine drop some Ti alloy pellets in the hopper and walk away expecting 12,000 rods to pop out perfectly finished three days later!
Old 10-11-2013, 08:15 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Macca. thanks for the clarification mate....
Old 10-11-2013, 09:26 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks @Macca! Here's to hoping the solution has been well sorted and now it's just a matter of up to standard parts being available!
Old 10-12-2013, 12:56 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 91 Posts

If they are using new parts, what is to say these will be durable? To what extent have they been tested? This may be a Ferrari moment for Porsche. Ferrari is notorious for delivering cars and letting the owners find the faults and Ferrari repairs under warranty. Small production car manufacturers shift the R&D to owners.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:19 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

They are doing an excellent job of chasing away all those warranty claim prone track junkies.

This is all a ploy to jack up the 997GT3 resale prices and the forthcoming 991 real racing engine equipped (manuals?) look cheap at $180K.
Initial automatic comfy seat 991GTS with a GT3 badge are just for taking advantage of the initial hype.

Once they start racing the real 991 GT3 and start selling the real deal street version you can than spec it CUP white and not feel like a poser.

Or maybe we are supposed to buy cup cars for the track and drive stretch Hybrid Pana's and Cayenne's to work?

So far its working.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:39 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

It was precautionary only.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:43 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Its a shame they didnt do likewise before releasing the 3.8 & 4.0RS with its manifold butterfly issue and dodgy CL wheels.

I think the real poseurs are the ones on the list to put down 180 large on the RS variant which lets face it is mostly marketing,bravado, pub brag and bling LOL!
Old 10-12-2013, 06:58 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,331 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
They are doing an excellent job of chasing away all those warranty claim prone track junkies.
Yup. Porsche needs to say unambiguously whether this car can be tracked or not (with warranty coverage). If not, stop marketing it with track videos, lap times, etc.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:45 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Macca, we will see how they hold up.
This thread is not helping me getting sold on being an early adapter.

Hopefully Porsche does not actually deliver defective cars again, but those were defective even after racing them and most problem parts are the parts not found on a CUP.
Now they have issues that needs to be addressed before one even its the track.. I'm still worried.

Cant agree on the RS being the bling car, to some minds it is but to track junkies its the track weapon of choice. One could argue any GT3 that does not go to the track is poserish.
And there we have that dreaded word again, that Porsche only uses in marketing material and warranty void text in the user manual; Track.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:10 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Its a shame they didnt do likewise before releasing the 3.8 & 4.0RS with its manifold butterfly issue and dodgy CL wheels.

I think the real poseurs are the ones on the list to put down 180 large on the RS variant which lets face it is mostly marketing,bravado, pub brag and bling LOL!
Agreed.

Originally Posted by Manifold
Yup. Porsche needs to say unambiguously whether this car can be tracked or not (with warranty coverage). If not, stop marketing it with track videos, lap times, etc.
If I were an internal PAG lawyer I'd have them handle it exactly as they have. Deny track coverage in writing and cover it on a case by case basis. Underpromise and overdeliver.

--------------------------

Anyway, I think everyone is over reacting. There is yet no official word on the genesis of the delays. Here's the way I see it. The ONLY reason this discussion is happening is b/c a flaw or flaws appeared so late in the vetting process. Had this happened 6 months ago (and you bet other flaws were uncovered on this car, and on virtually every product sold by Porsche), we'd have nothing to talk about.

Deep breaths everyone.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Exactly, frayed.

The reason manufacturers do reliability testing is to find stuff just like this, and every (quality) manufacturer does find stuff like this. Most of the time we don't hear about it because it doesn't interfere with production or the testing protocol isn't up to snuff and the problem shows up as a recall later on.

Problems may yet arise with the GT3, as they can with any car, but this situation in and of itself is not unusual or even worrisome, IMHO. Just a little frustrating for those of us with orders.....
Old 10-12-2013, 09:07 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I think this is fantastic news ab the high rpm issues. Now Porsche can't back down from their 9k rev line, and they can't jack up the price on 2014 cars, so they will have to introduce costly Ti upgrades which normally might be reserved for a racing engine. This will take the engine from being over stressed to relatively under stressed, and we'll get some exotic parts for free.
Do we know for certain that to recover was to change material or tolerances such that parts are significantly better (e.g. over-engineered)?

Macca - any comment?

Originally Posted by CAlexio
...and they can't jack up the price on 2014 cars...

I'm sure there will be a significant price hikes later on so they can recoup from this blunder.. But this is really good news for those of us on the list... How often does his happen where mAjor engine issues are caught so early? We're a lucky bunch of fokkers we are!
Can't raise 2014 prices? Where is that written? Perhaps for those who have placed orders, but for those of us still awaiting our order window I do not think the price is fixed in stone if Porsche were to incur significant additional production cost I can see an MSRP bump.

Ryan
Old 10-12-2013, 09:18 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by reidry

Can't raise 2014 prices? Where is that written? Perhaps for those who have placed orders, but for those of us still awaiting our order window I do not think the price is fixed in stone if Porsche were to incur significant additional production cost I can see an MSRP bump.

Ryan
Porsche can raise prices even on existing orders. It is there in the fine print and I know people who saw price increases after order and before delivery. Having said that it is very bad PR on an all new model, so unlikely on a 2014 GT3.

Quick Reply: GT3 production delays.... again!