Sponsored by:

Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 07:48 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Mooty #5

I agree on premiums for special rare colors although this is usually only a factor after condition, miles, maintenance + records etc are all in place and accounted for. We saw the step sister to this car a year older and a C4. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...911-carrera-4/ barely pull in $28k but rightfully so. The color just wasn't enough and probably brought more interest than if it was one of the standard colors. It will be interesting to see what this brings in comparison to the other. Although a similar car with roughly 40k miles a number of years back brought $44k when comparable cabs were bringing High $20's to low $30's.

It will be worth watching where this goes although there is a lot of stuff said that makes no sense on BaT which can kill a sale over nonsense and just as many yahoos that speak out there back end over cars i wouldn't buy with other peoples money. I know of a couple of people I feel were manipulated in the sale of their 993TT's so I put less merit in sale prices there than many of you.

I must say I have grown very fond of maritime blue these past few years.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:15 PM
4sight
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know if this is legit, but figured I share this. I'm in the market for a 996 myself, but this might interest someone here.

https://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/d...690297086.html
Old 09-23-2018, 07:26 PM
fasterlaster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4sight
Don't know if this is legit, but figured I share this. I'm in the market for a 996 myself, but this might interest someone here.

Manual Cabriolet in nice color. Not likely a valid listing at that price of $16k... but hey, we still see barn finds show up. It is a sharp color combo.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:22 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by 4sight

Salvage title with higher miles and not much in the way of maintenance history. I’d say it’s priced maybe slightly under market. It does appear to be in great shape but the picture quality is too low to really confirm.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:24 PM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Looks like a nice one. Love the interior. I would pursue this one if I hadn't just found mine.

1991-Porsche-911-Carrera-2

Old 09-24-2018, 07:52 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

^^^ A lot of work done and very little actually known. No mention of engine serial number being a 91 is it an early or late style engine and so much is done how can one trust the miles shown. Not saying it isn't worth $70k but would need to check it out thoroughly.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:44 PM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Originally Posted by cobalt
^^^ A lot of work done and very little actually known. No mention of engine serial number being a 91 is it an early or late style engine and so much is done how can one trust the miles shown. Not saying it isn't worth $70k but would need to check it out thoroughly.
Can you say more about early vs late style engines? I just bought a 1990 and wasn't aware of this.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:13 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACK3.2

Can you say more about early vs late style engines? I just bought a 1990 and wasn't aware of this.
92+ 964 had head gaskets to improve reliability. Being this a 91 it could have either engine depending on production number.

For $70k things like the missing gasket on the rear left taillight, a set of Chinese tires or a pretty dirty engine bay...would bother me and sway me towards a 996 GT3!
Also "car sometimes doesn't start"??! " Due for a service?!?!?"

Pretty pictures but not a "for sale ad" pictures..

It seems like he took care of all little details but I would afraid to take a long trip on this car...
Old 09-24-2018, 02:25 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

If your engine doesn’t have significant leaks it has likely already been addressed. Cars that haven’t been addressed can have significant leaks to the point that oil on exhaust causes smoke/smell while driving.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:44 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Yup.^

I appreciate the transparency in the ad but this doesn't sound like a $70k car or even close.

"Known Issues

• Occasionally doesn’t start on the first key turn after spirited driving, or after sitting in the sun for an extended period of time
    • If it doesn’t start on the second key-turn attempt, I place it in Reverse gear, and then re-attempt a key-turn, and then it starts
  • Right passenger low beam headlight does not work (the high beams work, and I always prefer to use those on air-cooled 911’s anyways, so this never bothered me)
  • Driver door appears to have had some amount of small body work / paint in the past (only noticeable in certain light)
  • Due for scheduled service"

Old 09-24-2018, 03:32 PM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

If your engine doesn’t have significant leaks it has likely already been addressed. Cars that haven’t been addressed can have significant leaks to the point that oil on exhaust causes smoke/smell while driving.
Thanks. I had researched the hell out of these and somehow missed that. Big thing to miss.

The one I bought was built out to a 3.8 a couple years ago and new head gaskets used at the time. Leakdown test I had done showed less than 2% on all cylinders.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:42 PM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
Yup.^

I appreciate the transparency in the ad but this doesn't sound like a $70k car or even close.

"Known Issues

• Occasionally doesn’t start on the first key turn after spirited driving, or after sitting in the sun for an extended period of time
    • If it doesn’t start on the second key-turn attempt, I place it in Reverse gear, and then re-attempt a key-turn, and then it starts
  • Right passenger low beam headlight does not work (the high beams work, and I always prefer to use those on air-cooled 911’s anyways, so this never bothered me)
  • Driver door appears to have had some amount of small body work / paint in the past (only noticeable in certain light)
This is an ebay classifieds ad, if I'm not mistaken, so that means standard practice is to go offline for a PPI and the usual due diligence, before making an offer. Much easier to do that for an auction, but it would still make one nervous that someone else could make an offer the buyer accepts while you are still in the inspection phase.

Ebay really is just not an optimal place to buy or sell a car. Personally, I've only ever used it to identify cars to buy, which I then pursue offline.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:09 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

This is an ebay classifieds ad, if I'm not mistaken, so that means standard practice is to go offline for a PPI and the usual due diligence, before making an offer. Much easier to do that for an auction, but it would still make one nervous that someone else could make an offer the buyer accepts while you are still in the inspection phase.
Ebay really is just not an optimal place to buy or sell a car. Personally, I've only ever used it to identify cars to buy, which I then pursue offline.
The seller is a member here with the same username. If you do a search, you'll be able to gather a bit more info.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:26 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Italian Pursuit
92+ 964 had head gaskets to improve reliability. Being this a 91 it could have either engine depending on production number.

For $70k things like the missing gasket on the rear left taillight, a set of Chinese tires or a pretty dirty engine bay...would bother me and sway me towards a 996 GT3!
Also "car sometimes doesn't start"??! " Due for a service?!?!?"

Pretty pictures but not a "for sale ad" pictures..

It seems like he took care of all little details but I would afraid to take a long trip on this car...
Being a 91 it wouldn't have taillight seals and this one doesn't. Something definitely looks off. There should be more gap between the tail lights and center reflector. The engine bay doesn't look that bad to me. I am assuming a recent engine drop since the sound pad appears to be new. Fan can use paint but it isn't that bad. I suspect they used a cleaner which discolored some surfaces. The focus is on the bling which is fine and someone may be willing to pay for it vs having to do it. Still needs a PPI and some undercarriage pics should be posted.

A GT3 for same money?? Maybe but another dog with fleas.

I am assuming he/she is basing the price on a somewhat (?) sound car with all the extras. $2500 seats, $750 shifter another $750 for rennline parts, carpet, powder coated wheels, windows out respray, chrome window frames, labor, etc. Still doesn't add up to me. There is no mention of what suspension work was done. Just to many questions but I would assume the "Known Issues" will add up

"Known Issues

I suspect the cardboard on the floor looks like a roroschach test and for this money seems awfully needy. To me those words speak volumes. If you can't fix a simple low beam and just prefer to blind oncoming traffic??? I also suspect the door check broke on the drivers side and has done damage with a long list of things needing TLC.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:37 PM
Matt Cooke
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am looking for a non black targa. I am in no rush but they seem to be fairly rare. What do you think of this one? The description is thin on details.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/132791592807

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale