Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 02:34 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by JAB12
Buyer Beware on this one: I had a thorough PPI done on it a few weeks ago and it is a pure lemon. I was so disappointed. Seller knows and is not disclosing in this new CL Ad.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/6699280364.html
Was the engine rebuild poorly done or were there other issues? It does seem odd that the clutch is stiff, typically the clutch is replaced when the engine comes out since the labor is the bulk of the cost.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:28 PM
997Pilot
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Buyer Beware on this one: I had a thorough PPI done on it a few weeks ago and it is a pure lemon. I was so disappointed. Seller knows and is not disclosing in this new CL Ad.

what was wrong with it? Recent rebuild it says so shouldn’t have leaks or issues
Old 09-16-2018, 05:02 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 627 Likes on 362 Posts
Thumbs down PPI for Silver Targa

All the important items are either seeping or leaking on this car, plus the oil tank, how do you have oil leaks from the oil tank? Right rocker is saturated with oil as a result. I will clean up my personal info off the PPI document I received and post it here later in the week. Windshield is not factory has been replaced, targa top does not latch correctly, rear wiper arm is bent, engine bay is filthy, no heater, missing cat heat shield, I can go on and on and on but this is just what I remember currently. Would take about $30K+ post purchase to bring this car to my standard IMHO. More so, now that the seller has all of this information he still posts a new CL Ad and does not disclose it but lowers the price from $55 to $48, that tells you all you need to know. I live by the mantra "Buy the seller not the car"

Good luck Gentlemen.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
964 Targa PPI 8-30-2018 RL.pdf (182.7 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by JAB12; 09-17-2018 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Added attachment
Old 09-16-2018, 05:18 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Default Not my CL Post

Also for the record: I did not post this on Craigslist: Just found this doing another search for Targa on CL.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/6699469019.html
Old 09-16-2018, 05:28 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

So basically whoever did the engine work didn’t know what they were doing or didn’t do the work at all and the seller was ripped off. That or the receipt is bogus. Was the body in decent shape? Any rust or other issues beyond the mechanical?
Old 09-16-2018, 05:37 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did you already take a look at this one? https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...modelCode1=911
Old 09-16-2018, 05:39 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts

always do your due diligence, one mistake can be very costly. I flew to SF last week to see the black 1990 C2 posted on CL and well, it was nothing i'd buy, wasted time & money & 2 one way tickets but at least i didn't waste thousands.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:43 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

Did you already take a look at this one? https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...modelCode1=911
Did not, but color combo is not to my liking. Thank you for sending as they are closer to me. Have some other nice Pcars there too.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:13 PM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarek307
always do your due diligence, one mistake can be very costly. I flew to SF last week to see the black 1990 C2 posted on CL and well, it was nothing i'd buy, wasted time & money & 2 one way tickets but at least i didn't waste thousands.
The one with the extra set of wheels that's been posted for a couple weeks? The seller was a man of few words. I eventually ran out of steam emailing with him. I'd ask three questions and get a half answer for one of them.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:21 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACK3.2
The one with the extra set of wheels that's been posted for a couple weeks? The seller was a man of few words. I eventually ran out of steam emailing with him. I'd ask three questions and get a half answer for one of them.
Man I hear ya - I was dealing with a guy for a 930, few words and ended up putting me against the wall saying stuff like "Dude I can get it inspected but that's the last thing I'll do for you!" ....ehmm Ok, you know what, thanks for your time. Then he text me 2 days later saying "I got an offer on the table, do you want the car or not?" without having it inspected...

I guess he didn't like the "I will give you full asking if the PPI comes back describing your car as you do."

WTF
Old 09-17-2018, 05:25 PM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Originally Posted by The Italian Pursuit
Man I hear ya - I was dealing with a guy for a 930, few words and ended up putting me against the wall saying stuff like "Dude I can get it inspected but that's the last thing I'll do for you!" ....ehmm Ok, you know what, thanks for your time. Then he text me 2 days later saying "I got an offer on the table, do you want the car or not?" without having it inspected...

I guess he didn't like the "I will give you full asking if the PPI comes back describing your car as you do."

WTF
Buy the seller, as they say. Guys like this give us the gift of learning they're boneheads before costing us a PPI.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:12 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BLACK3.2
Guy was a rude jerk, he sells alot of stuff on pelican parts, and was selling this car for an older gentleman that he knows. He told me the old guy was mean and i should only talk to him when i get there..i flew to SF land take uber, get there before him, old guy was super nice, but car was a mess, i specifically asked the guy that posted it if body gaps were good, if interior was good, and nothing was good, even the car wouldn't stay running, it started and idled for 5 mins then died and wouldn't start again, tried new dme and that didn't work..anyways when he arrived i told him, man this car has had some bondo and it won't even start, he tell me "then go back to LA , i told you it was a drivers car" what a low life, as if drivers car means bondo and not running! i fly all way there based on his word and he tells me go back to la, needless to say i didn't say a word to him and just dealt with the old man..of course i passed on the car..

I was ok with some issues and not perfect specially that i'm looking for a 964 DD for myself not one to resell rite away, so no big deal, but this one was too far gone!
I'm sure sooner or later some poor soul will end up buying it sigh unseen and be in for a big surprise...ALWAYS BUY THE SELLER, and this seller i had a bad feeling about, glad i flew there to look at it personally, waste of $$ and time specially a 6:am flight but worth it in the end.

That car was sold here on rennlist 3 years ago by a nice member, i contacted him and he was shocked at its current condition
Old 09-17-2018, 06:15 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/c...696097894.html

Interesting looking Targa....Price is sort of ridiculous

I agree with the thought that you're buying the seller.... No matter how many "reviews" they have.

Omission of the truth is still a lie. Be smart, ask a lot of questions.

Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode when George says...."Remember Jerry, its not a lie if you believe it"
Old 09-17-2018, 06:17 PM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Originally Posted by Tarek307
Guy was a rude jerk, he sells alot of stuff on pelican parts, and was selling this car for an older gentleman that he knows. He told me the old guy was mean and i should only talk to him when i get there..i flew to SF land take uber, get there before him, old guy was super nice, but car was a mess, i specifically asked the guy that posted it if body gaps were good, if interior was good, and nothing was good, even the car wouldn't stay running, it started and idled for 5 mins then died and wouldn't start again, tried new dme and that didn't work..anyways when he arrived i told him, man this car has had some bondo and it won't even start, he tell me "then go back to LA" what a low life, i fly all way there based on his word and he tells me go back to la, needless to say i didn't say a word to him and just dealt with the old man..of course i passed on the car..

I'm sure sooner or later some poor soul will end up buying it sigh unseen and be in for a big surprise...ALWAYS BUY THE SELLER, and this seller i had a bad feeling about, glad i flew there to look at it personally, waste of $$ and time specially a 6:am flight but worth it in the end.
That sucks, man. Well, we certainly trust YOU around here. If you feel comfortable, perhaps you could share his name and pelican username so others know to stay away.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:24 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Trader220
https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/c...696097894.html

Interesting looking Targa....Price is sort of ridiculous

I agree with the thought that you're buying the seller.... No matter how many "reviews" they have.

Omission of the truth is still a lie. Be smart, ask a lot of questions.

Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode when George says...."Remember Jerry, its not a lie if you believe it"
Hey Trader is you want to be a smart *** because on my red C2 ad i forgot about the carfax 2k mile clerical error in it from the emission station you can kiss my ! as soon as you pointed it out (and said you'll keep it a secret as if i did it on purpose) i listed it and even contacted carfax so they can fix it !! so dropping those little "smart *** words of yours thinking you have something on me won't get you anywhere.i mark every single imprefection i see with a car and circle it red and annonate it, so F off with your BS accusations . Transparency and full disclosure is what has earned me my reputation , and frankly i'm sick of your BS

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale