Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 01:19 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts

I'm even luckier, my wife enjoys horses.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:02 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

This one has me wondering how accurate the mileage is. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-carrera-2-17/

Seller notes that the car has had minor services since being purchased in 2007 but no records are provided unfortunately. Without that information it makes it very difficult to confirm that the cars been driven 4K miles in the last 12 years. Seems odd that the seller wouldn’t do whatever it takes to confirm mileage and condition.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:06 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

^. Yeah since its so easy to "freeze" your mileage. Just press your odometer when car is moving and a $30 gear repair when you want to sell it LOL.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:30 PM
LAcarguy
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like an endless line up of fairly ropey 964s running through BAT-none of which broke $50k.
The following 2 users liked this post by LAcarguy:
911Jetta (08-02-2019), Marine Blue (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 04:26 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,154 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Andrews
its funny how subtle differences between cars make a huge difference. The red one that closed today was a really honest RSA. 25k/mi. Yes some paintwork, but no roof. and red.

this car, has paintwork. knock off cups. more miles. but the right engine work. flashy remote canisters. alcantera covered (ruined?) dash and top of doors. But I agree, I'd prefer to own this one. If I hadn't just bought a white slick top car, this one would interest me...
I suspect the car has more miles and work to it than stated but honestly it isn't an issue if there is no accident damage the work is worth a lot and someone already went through the time and expense.

Originally Posted by Sirenty
I would much rather have the white one too. Though I’m curious. ITBs, a GT3 intake, and Motec can increase power that much?
Motec, Haltec or any stand alone made within the past 5 years is going to do a lot. The question is finding a shop that can program them for maximum efficiency which isn't as easy as many may think. There are a lot of shops installing them that don't have a clue. Clearly we all know this one does.

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
All of his cars sound so nice:

Speaking of Turbos.... lots of popcorn
https://youtu.be/Hi3ue-2C_Sk

This one is over the top. Just screams
https://youtu.be/vZ7fjQwWpH0
Way too much pop and burble on lift off with the turbo IMO. So many of the tuners lately make the cars pop like firecrackers which IMO sounds like crap. A nice subtle burble when you lift says all that is needed. Although de-cating the WG IMO makes for a much more impressive sound. The second one sounds a lot like my C2. The turbos sound nice but the N/A cars can scream when properly setup.

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
This one has me wondering how accurate the mileage is. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-carrera-2-17/

Seller notes that the car has had minor services since being purchased in 2007 but no records are provided unfortunately. Without that information it makes it very difficult to confirm that the cars been driven 4K miles in the last 12 years. Seems odd that the seller wouldn’t do whatever it takes to confirm mileage and condition.
I can't tell you how many BaT 964's I have seen and or know the buyers and very few are as stated with far more needs than you can imagine. The bad ones are horrific the good ones are just so so occasionally there is a car that only needs a little. No matter what you are buying expect to dump some coin or don't bother.
The following 2 users liked this post by cobalt:
DTMLGND (08-02-2019), zygomatic (08-10-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 07:06 PM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 246 Posts

Full driving enjoyment I see
Old 08-02-2019, 10:53 PM
RyanH.
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
This one is over the top. Just screams
https://youtu.be/vZ7fjQwWpH0
What needs to be done to get a stock 964 to sound like that?
Old 08-03-2019, 07:30 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 246 Posts
Default sound

Originally Posted by RyanH.
What needs to be done to get a stock 964 to sound like that?
for a quick cheap fix a full exhaust mods and drive it like he did near redline on each gear, lol
Old 08-03-2019, 08:44 AM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 2swoosh
for a quick cheap fix a full exhaust mods and drive it like he did near redline on each gear, lol
A lot of that video is just a microphone next to the exhaust outside. When I did DE’s, I hooked up an external microphone but the “mouse” cover fell off. The videos made my car sound like a V12 F1 car.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:04 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Greek
A lot of that video is just a microphone next to the exhaust outside. When I did DE’s, I hooked up an external microphone but the “mouse” cover fell off. The videos made my car sound like a V12 F1 car.
I don't know my C2 sounds quite similar. As you rev it up above 4k rpms it screams like this video getting louder as you approach redline. I have a 100 cell race cat a magnaflow 3" in 3" out muffler and that is it. I can't tell you how many people say how awesome it sounds.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:42 AM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I don't know my C2 sounds quite similar. As you rev it up above 4k rpms it screams like this video getting louder as you approach redline. I have a 100 cell race cat a magnaflow 3" in 3" out muffler and that is it. I can't tell you how many people say how awesome it sounds.
What's different abut that exhaust sound is the high pitch, unusual for a 964.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:49 AM
RyanH.
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 165 Posts

It seemed to have more of a gurgle at idle too.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:35 PM
TCallahan
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Wow that's a lot of "fashion" pics for that car. And not a single pic of the underside. sooo much left to the unknown with that auction

It's listed here for $66.9K too:

https://www.ryanfriedmanmotorcars.co...ra-4-c-606.htm
Lets redo that previous post so its not such gibberish.... plus i keep getting error messages trying to edit it.

Anyway, can you guys help me with a few questions regarding this one?
My wife and i saw it a few weeks ago on craigslist but when she called it was already pending and going in for the pre-purchase inspection the following day.
We are still interested in the car but noticed a few things in the high resolution photos that we didn't see on the CL ad.
1 - Are the black rubber plugs in the top corners of the engine bay supposed to be painted?
2 - Is the paint different colors on the hood,fedner bumper areas? (my wife noticed this) Id guess its just the lighting but it does seem off.
3 - We have recently acquired a digital paint meter and it helped us with the 997 turbo purchase. Some sellers of 964's have said the metallic cars have more paint on them. Is this in fact true? With the turbos everything was 3.5-5.5 mils for a metallic car or non-metallic. What should a 964 be?

Next week we're taking a few days to explore some of the current offerings from dealers in the VA area up to NY, so Im sure seeing these cars in person will answer my questions but want to come in armed with as much knowledge as possible. I will have access to my friend who knows these cars fairly well now since I've sent him to look at so many in the south east. Mechanically I know what to look out for but paint wise its a bit confusing since shoddy paintwork is often passed off as "they were hand painted cars" or "port damage", well that doest explain the over spray on with wiring loom or sanding lines in the body filler. I don't know much but I know what isn't right.
Thank you in advance!

Side note: I don't know whats up with these forums and how they have it programmed. I constantly have a note on the top of my browser saying "This webpage is using significant energy. Closing it may improve the responsiveness of you Mac". Editing a post, making a original post, just about anything done here is super buggy/sloppy. I never have this issue on any other website or forum. granted we're using VPN but still never have these issues elsewhere. /rant
Old 08-03-2019, 05:39 PM
My 911
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Are there more exhaust options for turbo or non turbo cars?
Old 08-05-2019, 10:23 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BLACK3.2
What's different abut that exhaust sound is the high pitch, unusual for a 964.
The mic keeps breaking up distorting the high frequencies same as in old videos I have but the lower frequencies are nearly identical especially when he lifts. You can change the exhaust note easily with the addition of a Cup style air box and larger or different shaped exhaust tips. My car has different sound and volume with the stock exhaust tip vs the larger dia dansk tip.
Originally Posted by My 911
Are there more exhaust options for turbo or non turbo cars?
There are many options for the N/A cars although there are little gains for the most part over the stock heater boxes vs aftermarket headers. It shifts the power band higher but doesn't gain much overall. The turbos are limited to what you can do and can only get some nice sound if you remove the cat. Turbo cars are quieter in general due to the turbo which muffles the sound. My track car has twin turbos and straight pipes out the back and at high rpms WOT the C2 and TT without exhaust are not much different in overall db. Measuring around 104db. The turbo is louder at idle by a lot though.

You can gain some reasonable HP out of a turbo with aftermarket headers and upgraded turbo 1 bar spring etc. Mine puts down 386rwhp and a bit more torque with these mods. Maybe a little less on a mustang. Although there are only a few brands that offer systems for these cars or you can have something custom made as I had on mine.

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale