Sponsored by:

Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 11:03 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Andrews
We've been saying this for a while haven't we? Are only the BaT cars selling for silly money? or are other cars doing the same? I'm considering buying a euro RS considering what I could likely sell my 80k/mi 1994 C2 for...

Not doubting you. Just in the predicament of not wanting to sell my car before I actually have the "next" one. But also struggling with what the value actually is.
No. I haven't. IMO the market finally made the corrections long deserved i was talking about 15 years ago. I have been helping people buy these cars long before the market swing and I am seeing people becoming disenchanted with the cars currently for sale and moving on for the first time. People looked for several years before finding the right car now they just buy a GT3 or something else instead of $90k on junk needing $50k in work. When junk sells for more than the quality cars it will only do the entire market a disservice. The 94 turbo market was the first to be impacted by this a while ago. Everyone saw prices take off and suddenly they thought every 94 was a $300k car. I hate to say it as I am happy to see these cars get the appreciation they deserve but this is reminiscent of the 80's when everyone was doing poor WB conversions on their SC's and the market just fell to pieces when everyone thought it was worth more after they butchered their cars.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:08 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Andrews
We've been saying this for a while haven't we? Are only the BaT cars selling for silly money? or are other cars doing the same? I'm considering buying a euro RS considering what I could likely sell my 80k/mi 1994 C2 for...

Not doubting you. Just in the predicament of not wanting to sell my car before I actually have the "next" one. But also struggling with what the value actually is.

it would seem BAT is not the only place where people are wildly overpaying...this one still has me scratching my head::
https://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/19...964-carrera-4/

Old 02-24-2019, 11:14 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh

it would seem BAT is not the only place where people are wildly overpaying...this one still has me scratching my head::
https://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/19...964-carrera-4/

Might be a little high but assuming original paint and needs nothing or little that is a fair price considering the mileage. The black WB on BaT makes far less sense for $90k. At $65k that car would have been way over priced.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:39 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Originally Posted by cobalt
Might be a little high but assuming original paint and needs nothing or little that is a fair price considering the mileage. The black WB on BaT makes far less sense for $90k. At $65k that car would have been way over priced.
I think “needs nothing” is the operative phrase here...
Good to know since I have the identical car with nearly the same miles, original paint in great shape, near perfect interior, oem cup 1s, upgraded suspension, resealed motor and a new clutch. I’m beginning to think I shouldn’t be daily driving it...
Old 02-25-2019, 01:09 AM
Dtronics
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That Martini BaT car was advertised for $70k before hitting the auction. Obviously there weren’t any takers, the seller is no doubt very happy with the auction result.

It’s been discussed but that auction blows my mind. It’s a cool looking car but personally, I don’t think it was worth more than $60k. I think it’s cool but it’s not really my cup of tea. It looks like the buyer has a deep stable of cars and deep pockets to match so he probably doesn’t care about overpaying for it. $90k+ with fess + shipping, not to mention tax depending on the buyers location... yikes.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:49 AM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Originally Posted by Dtronics

That Martini BaT car was advertised for $70k before hitting the auction. Obviously there weren’t any takers, the seller is no doubt very happy with the auction result.

It’s been discussed but that auction blows my mind. It’s a cool looking car but personally, I don’t think it was worth more than $60k. I think it’s cool but it’s not really my cup of tea. It looks like the buyer has a deep stable of cars and deep pockets to match so he probably doesn’t care about overpaying for it. $90k+ with fess + shipping, not to mention tax depending on the buyers location... yikes.
Yeah, that Martini car was a joke. Sure it looked cool, and that’s exactly why someone with deep pockets didn’t have an issue buying it...most likely just another
toy for the buyer and his ego. Auctions have never been to my liking, all too often you have people with lots of money and very little knowledge making emotional purchases that don’t reflect a cars true value. I’d certainly like to be proven wrong and hear that the buyer yanked the entire driveline and turned that thing into a 500hp hotrod...wishful thinking I guess
Old 02-25-2019, 07:16 AM
Mikke_Possu
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

It would seem that the market has gone in Europe in a different direction than America.

8 years ago Europe peoples was bought Porsche's from America when they were much cheaper there than Europe. Now, looking at American prices, they are clearly higher than in Europe. In northern Europe, good condition 964 does not change owner over 50 000€. Bad examples hardly at all.
What comes to the auctions, price is always right when someone is ready to pay it. A similar discussion has taken place in art for a long time. Somebody says it's overpriced but the buyer thinks the price is right.

happy driving.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:36 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I think “needs nothing” is the operative phrase here...
Good to know since I have the identical car with nearly the same miles, original paint in great shape, near perfect interior, oem cup 1s, upgraded suspension, resealed motor and a new clutch. I’m beginning to think I shouldn’t be daily driving it...
If you enjoy driving it daily do so. If you want the value to stay high don't but you bought the car to enjoy so IMO do so. I would pay $90k for a car like yours long before I paid $90k for that black turd. I have passed on offers close to the black car for my 93 with 61k miles but it has a lot of expensive upgrades and all of its original parts. I wouldn't know what to replace it with.

Yeah, that Martini car was a joke. Sure it looked cool, and that’s exactly why someone with deep pockets didn’t have an issue buying it...most likely just another
toy for the buyer and his ego. Auctions have never been to my liking, all too often you have people with lots of money and very little knowledge making emotional purchases that don’t reflect a cars true value. I’d certainly like to be proven wrong and hear that the buyer yanked the entire driveline and turned that thing into a 500hp hotrod...wishful thinking I guess
Problem is you would need to dump $40k into engine work another $15k in brakes and suspension and you will still have a car with a mediocre wide body install with FG parts and paint that will only look worse over time and Rhino liner interior. For that much money there are some nice turbos you can buy and have a superior car in every respect.

The sale of that car reminded me of the 90's when David DInkins was mayor of NYC. Every street corner had some low life with a bucket of urine smelling water washing your windshield making it slimy and then demanding a tip. I always turned on my wiper blade and refused to give in and one day two young guys in a Limo behind me had them clean the limo windshield (driver was clearly pissed) and then they handed him a $100 tip while giving me the finger standing up through the sunroof. They estimated these guys brought in around $60k or more a year (in 90 $$) washing windshields instead of being a productive part of society. If nobody puts their foot down and everyone gives into this crap it will just continue to escalate.

I was going to list some wheels on BaT and no doubt I could get more for them if I did but out of principle I am out and BaT can have its followers of misinformed overspending buyers that have more money than brains. I will no longer give any car on BaT my seal of approval after seeing some of the crap that sold first hand. I knew they were bad but ended up being worse than even I expected. I have no doubt this car is equally as bad or worse.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:09 PM
lcrain
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 40 Posts

I would wait a few months. BaT is helping to create a bubble that will soon destroy this market and these cars will be more affordable.
Interesting. Obviously there are some question marks on this one, but where would you see this type of car transact once the bubble bursts? Your comment on buyers simply moving on is also very interesting. I think I would really like a 964 c2, but have never driven one. I have extensive seat time in a 993 c2 and really enjoy that car which has similar mods to this one. Can't imagine the 964 is $20k (give or take) better than a 993 from the drivers seat. And at $70k, you start to get into 996 gt3 money, which is another car on my short list of fun street/track cars.

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
this car has some nice things done to it already, but miles are higher, it is an early 90MY, engine done but some time ago, seller did not comment on whether engine seeps oil
in this market safely a low 60's car, maybe mid 60's car, prob not a 70k car as seller as asking but hey who knows? just takes one guy who wants it
for me the car looks like it still has some needs, not sure the quality of the paint (pic are really lousy), and the brown interior is not for me, would bug me to no end
Thank you for your insight. I actually like the color combination and enjoy different color interiors. Blue/brown works for me. What are some of the other needs you can identify with the limited info presented?
Old 02-25-2019, 07:15 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 135 Posts

By that analogy, 356's should be super cheap!
Old 02-25-2019, 07:58 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts

I will no longer give any car on BaT my seal of approval after seeing some of the crap that sold first hand. I knew they were bad but ended up being worse than even I expected. I have no doubt this car is equally as bad or worse.
NoooOOOOOooo...don't do that! come on man, your knowledge is much appreciated on BAT. Because of one listing you will leave? come on..
Old 02-25-2019, 08:03 PM
Dtronics
Instructor

I’m curious to know who bought the black 1990 C2 on BaT late last year. I had that car PPI’d and it was a total nightmare. I’m actually embarrassed that I went to the extent of getting a PPI on that car. It needed some major work that wasn’t disclosed.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:21 PM
wallra
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

you mean the car on bat from rhode island
Old 02-25-2019, 08:21 PM
Dtronics
Instructor

Originally Posted by wallra
you mean the car on bat from rhode island
Yes.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:57 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lcrain
Interesting. Obviously there are some question marks on this one, but where would you see this type of car transact once the bubble bursts? Your comment on buyers simply moving on is also very interesting. I think I would really like a 964 c2, but have never driven one. I have extensive seat time in a 993 c2 and really enjoy that car which has similar mods to this one. Can't imagine the 964 is $20k (give or take) better than a 993 from the drivers seat. And at $70k, you start to get into 996 gt3 money, which is another car on my short list of fun street/track cars.
Lets face it, if we base price solely on capability, the 964 wouldn't make the short list. The modern cars have far newer technology and allow the average driver to experience speeds far beyond their capabilities out of the box. There are some great cars out there all in the same price range and not all are Porsche's. Although IMO very few cars offer what a 964 can ((an acquired taste) if you didn't grow up with 911's) and as far as air-cooled 911's many like myself, find the 964 to be the sweet spot when analog meets digital. When properly setup; I don't mean all the extras, which change things considerably. Most 964's aren't even touching upon their abilities with basic Pepboys alignments and the tire purchased by price vs performance . But these cars truly are the apex between then and now. They wear the iconic 911 lines irrespective of impact bumpers and still retain the classic trailing arm handling without the quirky torsion bars, a far stiffer body, modern safety features, coil over suspension and ventilation that worked (kind of ).

I can get into so much depth how this is playing out exactly as it did back in the 80's but would take too long. BaT was a great thing initially but I have seen far too much junk sell and within only 6 days and some very dishonest sellers it has become a joke. If there were only more honest sellers they know who they are . It is overplayed and IMO BaT is not doing an adequate job of policing the bad sellers if not IMO encouraging the behavior and for me that shows the money has taken over and it is time to move on.

Originally Posted by Tarek307
NoooOOOOOooo...don't do that! come on man, your knowledge is much appreciated on BAT. Because of one listing you will leave? come on..
Believe you me it is a culmination of a lot of BS on BaT's part that has me, done with them. I could care less about the crap selling for double value to idiots that listen to blowhards and don't deserve their money. BaT is no longer the simple sell it easy tool but has become a machine that is pumping out crap that the Instagram crowd is in awe of. I have no interest in the BS, If people want to learn there are still sources like Rennllst Pelican and others that allow discussion, dealing with facts instead of hype.

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale