Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 10:09 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,238 Posts

The 911S from LeMans sold for around $1.4M back in 2011 with an estimated value of $300k. It wasn't McQueen's personal car so it didn't bring the coin his actual cars do. If he owned it no doubt it is gold. The opening scene was surreal and the 911S was far from the star of that movie which had countless stars and co star cars. I am not comparing the 2 movies but you have to admit you watch LeMans for the cars and not that pathetic plot the studio introduced after taking away his control. If you took the cars out of both you have 2 mediocre movies.

I didn't mind it as much as you and my wife actually stayed awake through it which is surprising. Unlike LeMans most of BB was unrealistic. Sawing at the wheel of 965 at speed as he does in the finale would be a scary ride and with the head start even with a long runway it would have been tough to catch up to the fantastic plastic.

I really enjoyed my 71 911E but I can never really go back to Torsion bar cars again they do little for me these days. For me seeing my first real 3.6T back in 1995 and then seeing the movie was a game changer and every Porsche enthusiast I know recognize the movie and any 965 immediately. I have driven most every Porsche and the 3.6T holds a special place for me. A unique exhilarating street ride and driving experience. Every C&C I attended this past year no matter how high end the hypercars were the 965 got more attention and if there was a black one there 3.3 or 3.6 it got full attention from everyone.

With prices skyrocketing, what appears to be daily, I have no doubt these will only become more desirable as we move forward. A few years ago many of the local collectors I know wouldn't pay up for a 3.6T but now are spending even more for a comparable 3.3T so I guess we will see where this all leads.

Old 01-19-2022, 11:40 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 638 Posts

many of these 'star cars' wind up in public collections (attractions, museums) where they're meant to draw a paying public in - at least they used to be. i would assume the same for 1/2 of these movie cars we see. they are meant to generate profits. i doubt the BB turbo sits covered for 10 years before it surfaces again at auction.
Old 01-19-2022, 12:56 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 216 Posts

Let's not ignore the grudge match pricing you see in some of these sales. These days you get a couple folks with as much ego as money who want the same car on the same day and the final price is as much a function of the battle of egos as it is the value of the car. There's also the baby bear factor that comes into some purchases. That car that is "just right" - not too hot, not too cold - and comes along once in a blue moon. Not a star car, and maybe not a special car when originally produced, but now it's the one Goldilocks wants and money is no obstacle. These kinds of odd ball purchases seem to happen more and more and they drive up the price of everything in the room. The good place to be is outside the room - already owning a car that everyone in the room wants.
Old 01-19-2022, 05:32 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jpoint
Let's not ignore the grudge match pricing you see in some of these sales. These days you get a couple folks with as much ego as money who want the same car on the same day and the final price is as much a function of the battle of egos as it is the value of the car. There's also the baby bear factor that comes into some purchases. That car that is "just right" - not too hot, not too cold - and comes along once in a blue moon. Not a star car, and maybe not a special car when originally produced, but now it's the one Goldilocks wants and money is no obstacle. These kinds of odd ball purchases seem to happen more and more and they drive up the price of everything in the room. The good place to be is outside the room - already owning a car that everyone in the room wants.
I would describe the offer on my 94T as a Goldilocks offer. It is probably the one and only offer I would get like that but I have little interest in selling. My wife says $1M so I am safe for now. The dollar needs to depreciate more.
The following users liked this post:
heliolps2 (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 09:06 AM
DRC440
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have no affiliation with this car but I will be watching the auction to see where it ends up. Should be interesting.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-carrera-rs-5/

Old 02-23-2022, 09:29 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DRC440
I have no affiliation with this car but I will be watching the auction to see where it ends up. Should be interesting.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-carrera-rs-5/

I was just looking at that. Someone will end up with a nice track toy. It has a huge list of upgrades and spares worth a small fortune.
Old 02-23-2022, 09:36 AM
dmaddox
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 96 Posts

I'd love to snag the brakes out of the spare parts pile and swap (mostly for visual appeal) to big reds.

Last edited by dmaddox; 02-23-2022 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-23-2022, 02:05 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

I wonder, does the rebuilt title hurt its value if it's just a track car? Eye of the beholder, I suppose.
Old 02-23-2022, 02:41 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

So long as everything aligns properly why should it? The ? is who wants a pretty car that really can only be used on track these days. I figure there is at least $50k in parts alone. There are many cars I see sell that I know have had accidents. Were straightened properly and fixed up and the owners have no idea. I know of a couple of C4WB cars that have had entire clips replaced and sell for serious premium. Another that was flipped and crushed twice and somehow is back on the road. I would be more concerned about the ex club racer RSA that sold not long ago on BaT that was converted back to street use with extensive poorly and improperly repaired tub damage and no carfax report.

I just picked up an old track car tub stripped to the bones. I spent as much for it as i did a running 90 C4 in 2015. Granted the C4 was a needy car, it came with everything. For me it was about getting a straight tub I can build off of. Unless iti s a collector car or you want a pristine original buy what you can these days I don't see many bargains out there anymore.
heliolps2 (02-23-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 08:56 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

So the going rate for crashed and tweaked 964 C4 targas appears to be $115k

the recent sale on BaT has my jaw on the floor. Imo it was a good buy at $35k put another $65-70k into it and you have a good car. maybe

people have lost their minds. Ironically Singer wouldn’t buy that one due to the history abs damage but people will overspend on junk. The restoration process is as joke if that is the best of the best

Last edited by cobalt; 04-06-2022 at 08:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by cobalt:
bb964 (04-07-2022), Ralph3. (04-06-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 09:33 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 125 Posts

what do you guys think of this one? In love with the interior.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...era-2-coupe-3/

6 days left and already at $120k. Will be interesting to watch!
Old 04-06-2022, 10:38 PM
georgej
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
So the going rate for crashed and tweaked 964 C4 targas appears to be $115k

the recent sale on BaT has my jaw on the floor. Imo it was a good buy at $35k put another $65-70k into it and you have a good car. maybe

people have lost their minds. Ironically Singer wouldn’t buy that one due to the history abs damage but people will overspend on junk. The restoration process is as joke if that is the best of the best
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-carrera-4-49/

Quite an auction there! In the first hour and before the seller even made a post the first two bids left it at $99,964! The seller was selling it for his step mom that her late husband had bought new. The description of the car in the listing includes "The seller states that bodywork was performed in 2006 to repair rear-end damage from an accident with another vehicle." When asked about it he said that it occurred before he knew his step mom but immediately reached out to the repair shop and obtained the repair invoices which were posted right away. The repair included a complete repaint, I imagine so the undamaged areas would be a perfect match over time which makes sense as the car remained with them until now. With those details and unfounded comments both bids were withdrawn. The bashing by several commenters continued and gave this auction a massive taint. Statements like "Not a chance that anyone could forget to mention an accident so involved that the airbag was deployed as a black airbag in blue wheel is a dead giveaway." though the seller later demonstrated with photos that the airbag was original (and not on the accident repair invoice). Many of the posts were FLAGGED AS NON-CONSTRUCTIVE and even in a blink of the eye flat out removed by BAT.

The comments in the BAT auctions are truly helpful. As I said in one of my responses in the auction comments: "Your comment that “I think he’s new to BAT and probably a bit surprised we Porsche people are so picky…because the car looks beautiful now.” is in this case understatement to the extreme. I agree that comments here help to bring issues to light and informs prospective bidders about matters that often even sellers are unaware of. That being said the extent of the accident is not known. What is known is that there was an accident in 2007 and what the repairs included. Early in the comments there is a reference to a $25k repair and somehow that becomes the number when it was actually $20,646.03. After the repairs the car was loved and cared for by the same folks that are for the first time offering it in this listing."

I would call this auction a complete $#!+ show and the seller was genuinely harmed by vitriol that went beyond constructive assessments. I would be very curious to see where it would have gone if the misinformation police had simply shed light on facts and left it at that. I am certain that I will be tarred and feathered for this post but it frankly seems like it needs to be said and if in doubt read through the posts in the listing (at least those that remain).
cbracerx (04-06-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 11:06 PM
georgej
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by GBX
what do you guys think of this one? In love with the interior.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...era-2-coupe-3/

6 days left and already at $120k. Will be interesting to watch!
Wow! I wrote a friend earlier that this might be the first C2 I have seen that I personally like better than what I have got. That said as much as I love the interior I think I would be afraid of damaging that amazing fabric. I could always redo the black leather in my car but that fabric might be a challenge if soiled. I love the slick top, I love the ROW wheel/glove box and many other aspects. This will be interesting to watch.

Last edited by georgej; 04-06-2022 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-06-2022, 11:27 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

No one gave a feces when these were unwanted at $20k, now we have to sniff the car's butthole and critique the wrong washer on the glove box door lock. I do agree with Anthony (965) though, misrepresentation is a whole other issue and should be met with ex-communication. Mostly though, paint meter readings to me are about as important as the "wrong" air freshener and best left to folks who like marching in large groups where everyone has matching armbands.
FFS get in the business end of the car and have some fun, given the price increases of the last 15 years you didn't overpay, you're just early.
pcarfan944 (04-07-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 12:01 AM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by georgej
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-carrera-4-49/

I would call this auction a complete $#!+ show and the seller was genuinely harmed by vitriol that went beyond constructive assessments. I would be very curious to see where it would have gone if the misinformation police had simply shed light on facts and left it at that. I am certain that I will be tarred and feathered for this post but it frankly seems like it needs to be said and if in doubt read through the posts in the listing (at least those that remain).
I disagree with you on this one, the seller made out like a bandit, hope the buyer is happy with their purchase.

Car was presented as a low mileage one owner although a 2006 accident was mentioned briefly in the auction description.

Original owner deceased, being sold on behalf of the sellers step mother etc.

Repair invoice later showed that both quarter panels, rear deck lid and cross member were replaced.

Front bumper cover, hood, both fenders, both doors, mirrors were repaired and refinished, evidence of masking of the stickers on drivers side door jam.

Windshield was replaced along with quite a few other parts, tail lights, center reflector, deck lid hinges etc.

Second bidder with a history of throwing out bids on cars that they had no intention of buying got worried that they might win. Bidder then asked BAT to withdrawn their bid.

I would say at at $110K the seller did just fine.

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale