Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 10:57 AM
BeachBoy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronnie V
Hello Gents,

I am the guy who is "buying" the car. It is at Euro this morning and Tim is having a hard look at the entire car as well as a very good look at the front end. I have been informed that the bumpers on the car appear to be faded. They both may have been replaced at some point.

The PPI at Euro should tell the whole story. I will let you guys know what my $$ finds out.

Ron
a white '93 coupe is gorgeous, I hope the PPI doesn't find too much.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:14 PM
Ronnie V
AutoX

Agreed! Stay Tuned............
Old 05-30-2014, 12:52 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Hello Gents,

I am the guy who is "buying" the car. It is at Euro this morning and Tim is having a hard look at the entire car as well as a very good look at the front end. I have been informed that the bumpers on the car appear to be faded. They both may have been replaced at some point.

The PPI at Euro should tell the whole story. I will let you guys know what my $$ finds out.

Ron
Here is a link to the other running thread on this car.
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-purchase.html
Old 05-30-2014, 01:27 PM
Ronnie V
AutoX

Thanks Ken. I have given it a read.

All I can say is WOW you guys are good. I have will have the PPI results in less than an hour. It's all done.

Ron
Old 05-30-2014, 02:00 PM
Ronnie V
AutoX

ok, here's the lowdown.......all from Tim at Euro.

- the clutch is leaking and slipping - Full rebuild of the system including the Master and Slave
- One Jug leaking - Full engine rebuild needed Including New Plugs/Coil/Wires/Belts etc......
- Shocks leaking - not bad but leaking
- Rear trailing Arms bolts loose / Bushings need replacement.
- CV boots ripped
- LOTS of paintwork
- No serious accident damage - the front section in question is easily repairable
- Rust on one of the front window pillars
- Interior decent - everything works but the interior light switch, a couple of the gauges are badly faded.
- Sunroof seal is coming apart
- Jack is present but no tools there.

That's pretty much it guys. By the time Tim got to Full Engine rebuild and full Clutch rebuild I was out. To make this car mechanically right is going to EASILY cost an additional 10K on top of the selling price if not more. Add a paintjob to that so the car is all the same white and well..........this is one expensive 964 Gentleman. With 125K on the clock.

Back on the Hunt.........

Ron
Old 05-30-2014, 02:53 PM
ryanowen
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of curiosity, would you share the compression and/or leak-down numbers?
Old 05-30-2014, 02:57 PM
Ronnie V
AutoX

It was another 150 to do the leakdown and compression test. Once we found the leaking head gasket/Jug the tests would have been a waste of time. The leakdown would have returned a dismal rating for the cylinder in question and a compression test would have revealed the same.

A waste of time and money I think.

Ron
Old 05-30-2014, 03:07 PM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

Is the 'one jug leaking' oil or compression ?
Old 05-30-2014, 03:23 PM
Holiluxe
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@ronnie v - I'm sorry to hear that PPI didn't come back with good news. I guess I also dodged a bullet on that one. It looked so promising. Did you happen to ask about the Black 964 GR Auto Gallery also has? I didn't because I don't really want a black car.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:28 PM
Ronnie V
AutoX

It was leaking Oil.

I did not ask about the black car, I want a White one and nothing but.

I have no doubt the car will eventually sell for around 30 to a guy with stars in his eyes. Shortly after he will realize that the car needs 15K spent on it. Then he in turn will list it.

At the end of the day the only thing money can't fix is the GPW/Black interior according to the VIN. It is also a 93, sigh......... If I wanted a project I would have still bought it, albeit for a lower price. However, the wife wants to drive it this summer and for me to do the work it would have never happened.

So here I go again waiting for the car I want to come up for sale when I know it is very unlikely it will.

Ron
Old 05-30-2014, 03:51 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

A couple of cars popped up locally. No affiliation.

1990 C2 Cab, GPW, 68K miles, asking $30K http://www.germanautoworksmn.com/det...PrefID=0&.aspx
1991 C4 Targa, GPW, 143K miles, asking $19K http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/an...493358656.html
Old 05-30-2014, 04:13 PM
Ronnie V
AutoX

Both nice cars. They both show some promise however...........

I have to have a GPW/Black C2 Coupe. Late model preferred but I would not turn down a clean 90. I am sure there are a lot of other guys out there looking for the exact same car.

Basically I want the White car from the Cargraphic website.

If someone with one reads this and you want to part with it for fair to more than fair pricing I would love to have a look.

Thanks Guys! This forum has been a tremendous help!

Ron
Old 06-01-2014, 04:38 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Found by VAGLUV.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/cto/4497121586.html
Old 06-01-2014, 05:32 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Ronnie,

I wish you luck in you endeavour to find the White 964 of you dreams, but if you want one for this summer!

My experience of PPI results is that they are not always as bad as they make them out to be.
They will cover themselves in the event of a later issue occurring.

I looked at a White 964 at GR in March last year and came to the same conclusion that the car need a lot of work with oil leaks etc.
I made an offer that was rejected and walked away from the car.

I also had a PPI carried out in Dallas on an Amazon Green car, now in the possession of OPO, if fact it was already owned by him when I had the PPI carried out.
The results were similar to the white car, I made an offer, it was rejected and I walked away.
OPO, decided not to sell and had the car cleaned and polished and the car looks fantastic.
My point is, that the PPI's can be extreme in their findings.
If you really only want a white car and this one ticks all the boxes except for the PPI results, I would make an offer and see where that takes you.
I would say that any 964 you look at will need work unless it is a top grade car and you are paying well in excess of 40k, they are 20 plus years old now.

Both nice cars. They both show some promise however...........

I have to have a GPW/Black C2 Coupe. Late model preferred but I would not turn down a clean 90. I am sure there are a lot of other guys out there looking for the exact same car.

Basically I want the White car from the Cargraphic website.

If someone with one reads this and you want to part with it for fair to more than fair pricing I would love to have a look.

Thanks Guys! This forum has been a tremendous help!

Ron
Old 06-01-2014, 07:11 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,120 Likes on 1,272 Posts

ok, here's the lowdown.......all from Tim at Euro.

- the clutch is leaking and slipping - Full rebuild of the system including the Master and Slave
- One Jug leaking - Full engine rebuild needed Including New Plugs/Coil/Wires/Belts etc......
- Shocks leaking - not bad but leaking
- Rear trailing Arms bolts loose / Bushings need replacement.
- CV boots ripped
- LOTS of paintwork
- No serious accident damage - the front section in question is easily repairable
- Rust on one of the front window pillars
- Interior decent - everything works but the interior light switch, a couple of the gauges are badly faded.
- Sunroof seal is coming apart
- Jack is present but no tools there.

That's pretty much it guys. By the time Tim got to Full Engine rebuild and full Clutch rebuild I was out. To make this car mechanically right is going to EASILY cost an additional 10K on top of the selling price if not more. Add a paintjob to that so the car is all the same white and well..........this is one expensive 964 Gentleman. With 125K on the clock.

Back on the Hunt.........

Ron
Sorry too hear it didn't work out but one thing you will find another always pops up eventually. I picked up a 90 C4 in January that had less of a maintenance list but more cosmetics for $10k and only 83k original miles I am sure you will be able to find a clean car for what these guys are asking.

I figured the front tub was repairable, although whoever made the first go at it failed at body work. I am assuming they never checked the airbags for proper dates? I have seen too many like this with the airbags deployed and replaced under the radar.

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale