Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016 | 04:16 PM
berk
Instructor

Originally Posted by DoninDen
No reserve, less than 4 hours to go, rebuilt engine in a manual coupe, currently at $35K (no affiliation):

Porsche 911 964 5 Speed Manual Coupe No Reserve | eBay

That car belonged to a customer of mine, and was offered to me. I passed on it because I did not need another project. Definitely not a 35k car.
Old 02-03-2016 | 04:21 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by berk
That car belonged to a customer of mine, and was offered to me. I passed on it because I did not need another project. Definitely not a 35k car.
Obviously was to someone.
Old 02-03-2016 | 05:46 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Lots of folks unknowingly buying project level cars for top dollar. I feel bad for all these folks barely hopping on the bandwagon and paying too much only to have to dump a bunch more money into them. Like that poor RLer who paid mid 50s for that gray C2 thinking it was pristine only to receive it and determine the thing needed a windows out respray in order to meet his expectations. Ouch.
Old 02-03-2016 | 05:58 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vandit
Lots of folks unknowingly buying project level cars for top dollar. I feel bad for all these folks barely hopping on the bandwagon and paying too much only to have to dump a bunch of money into them. Like that poor RLer who paid mid 50s for that gray C2 thinking it was pristine only to receive it and determine the thing needed a windows out respray in order to meet his expectations. Ouch.
Problem is there is very little quality product period. This may just be the new norm. The days of nice cars for reasonable prices seem to be over. We should all be happy with what we have and purchased when we did. I can't even find donor tubs anymore. If I want to build a car I am left with wrecks that need a new front clip or were flood damaged and people are asking $10k+ for them. Otherwise I have to spend $35k and buy a running car so i can cut it up but I am not in favor of cutting up cars that are still salvageable.
Old 02-03-2016 | 06:17 PM
berk
Instructor

Originally Posted by cobalt
Obviously was to someone.
Pretty much.
Old 02-03-2016 | 06:24 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

I think you are meaning me.....lol
expect it back from paint late this week and then we can start with the mechanical "upgrades".

Lots of folks unknowingly buying project level cars for top dollar. I feel bad for all these folks barely hopping on the bandwagon and paying too much only to have to dump a bunch more money into them. Like that poor RLer who paid mid 50s for that gray C2 thinking it was pristine only to receive it and determine the thing needed a windows out respray in order to meet his expectations. Ouch.
Attached Images      

Last edited by 02m2; 02-03-2016 at 06:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-03-2016 | 06:32 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Yup. It's turning out great. I think it looks a little darker than it did before.

That car's prior owner lives somewhere around my hood. I had run into him a time or two and had tried to engage him a couple of times here on rennlist via PM but he was not receptive. Oh well.
Old 02-03-2016 | 06:44 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

It is an interesting color and looks significantly different in different light. in bright light it looks very green like fresh concrete.
If you run in to him again ask him how long ago the speedo stopped working?
The car was very straight and we repaired the couple windshield small rust issues.
I paid a lot for it and will have spent more than the PP to get it together the way I want. Still have not really seen anything else that I would have bought that would have really been better than this to start with.

Yup. It's turning out great. I think it looks a little darker than it did before.

That car's prior owner lives somewhere around my hood. I had run into him a time or two and had tried to engage him a couple of times here on rennlist via PM but he was not receptive. Oh well.
Old 02-03-2016 | 06:54 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

You may try to PM him. His username is jtucker. Not sure if he still hangs around this site if he doesn't own a Porsche anymore.
Old 02-03-2016 | 07:12 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Thanks..but it is what it is. I had all the gauges sent out already and serviced.
Faces were faded and the speedo was not functional. I plan on keeping the car so don't mind spending the money to make it right. It will be very nice when I get it back together. Shooting for the end of Feb (2016).

You may try to PM him. His username is jtucker. Not sure if he still hangs around this site if he doesn't own a Porsche anymore.
Old 02-04-2016 | 12:22 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
This is the car I posted a link to on Hemmings. He claims heated seats. I see no signs of them wonder how he added them and how they are switched on?
Looks like he added a switch on the middle console by the parking brake. Pics show a switch on both sides.

I like this car, looks nice, not a horrible price considering the work done too.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...upe-5-spd.html
Old 02-04-2016 | 02:00 AM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Agreed. Very nice car. Nice upgrades all around. I am sure he will get the money considering where the market is at. Some of us just can't bear to sell anything or could cash in big time. Just build a bigger garage is my motto.
Old 02-04-2016 | 09:38 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Looks like he added a switch on the middle console by the parking brake. Pics show a switch on both sides.

I like this car, looks nice, not a horrible price considering the work done too.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...upe-5-spd.html
Didn't pick up on that. Nicely done.

02m2 Car is coming along nicely. looks great so far.
Old 02-04-2016 | 01:33 PM
964Luftballoon
Burning Brakes

I'm hoping I don't fall into this category when it's time to get one. I guess that's why it's important to not buy sight unseen? Whenever I am able to get mine I will keep it till i'm in the dirt.

Originally Posted by 02m2
I think you are meaning me.....lol
expect it back from paint late this week and then we can start with the mechanical "upgrades".
I don't know the details behind your purchase but the car looks great!
Old 02-04-2016 | 02:07 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Infinite1
I'm hoping I don't fall into this category when it's time to get one. I guess that's why it's important to not buy sight unseen?
Unfortunately, the market is all f’d up now and wiring money at moment’s notice for sight-unseen cars with no time to wait for a PPI appears to be the only straightforward way to get any condition 964 in your driveway.

Sellers (primarily scumbag flippers) want to push the market in that direction because it means they can more easily sell misrepresented cars for more money than they’d be able to if buyers had an opportunity to properly vet the car’s condition prior to purchase.

I don’t know how some folks are doing it, to be having to overpay so much on the front end and then be ready to open the wallet even more. But then again, my 964 doesn’t share its garage with a gang of 6-figure dream cars. The market happenings of the past 24-36 months have shifted the demographic of the new 964 owner significantly up-market.

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale