Sponsored by:

Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 02:07 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by Infinite1
I'm hoping I don't fall into this category when it's time to get one. I guess that's why it's important to not buy sight unseen?
a frenzied market is not a buyer's friend. i'm trying to keep a level head myself and have passed on several cars already. it's not easy, but i'm also looking for a long-term keeper and i want a nice example from the start. it will cost a bit more upfront, but i know it will pay off in the long run.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:41 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit
Unfortunately, the market is all f’d up now and wiring money at moment’s notice for sight-unseen cars with no time to wait for a PPI appears to be the only straightforward way to get any condition 964 in your driveway.

Sellers (primarily scumbag flippers) want to push the market in that direction because it means they can more easily sell misrepresented cars for more money than they’d be able to if buyers had an opportunity to properly vet the car’s condition prior to purchase.

I don’t know how some folks are doing it, to be having to overpay so much on the front end and then be ready to open the wallet even more. But then again, my 964 doesn’t share its garage with a gang of 6-figure dream cars. The market happenings of the past 24-36 months have shifted the demographic of the new 964 owner significantly up-market.
I agree...way too many scumbag flippers...I can think of a dealership here in Houston..that hasn't received good reviews in the forums due to misrepresentation of the vehicles and just plain overcharging.

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
a frenzied market is not a buyer's friend. i'm trying to keep a level head myself and have passed on several cars already. it's not easy, but i'm also looking for a long-term keeper and i want a nice example from the start. it will cost a bit more upfront, but i know it will pay off in the long run.
Too true. It is quite hard to not jump on deals you see like the previously discussed 35k coupe that recently sold.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:52 PM
mnmlod
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 02m2
I think you are meaning me.....lol
expect it back from paint late this week and then we can start with the mechanical "upgrades".
Looks like you'll have a nice one when you are finished. Enjoy!
Old 02-04-2016, 04:30 PM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine may be going up for sale when I get it back from the engine rebuilders (they are fixing a leak after top and bottom rebuild). I am planning to be up and up on my car's issue and ask a fair price. Wife is really pushing me to get something a lot newer and since she puts up with a lot when it comes to my car hobby, may have to oblige.

It is crazy what some are asking for these cars compared to what it was a few years ago.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:37 PM
964TOK
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C4 Coupe Miami $34k

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/5432845091.html
Old 02-04-2016, 08:51 PM
FormulaRX
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a 90 C4 sight unseen from PCA a year ago but the owner spent 2 weeks answering all of my questions and made sure I knew what I was buying. He was extremely patient and sent lots of pics and videos so I felt like I actually saw the car in person without really seeing it. Sure the paint's not perfect. May even need a respray but it had records going back to when new. What I'm trying to say here is that these cars are old and often times the price reflects a pristine car but the car is far from that in reality. I'm just fortunate to have found a car that was not misrepresented. It needs work but I knew that prior to buying. I just hope that most others on here going forward don't get too desperate or lose hope to where you're all forking over 50k or more for basket cases. Good cars and honest sellers are still out there. I never buy from dealers
Old 02-04-2016, 09:48 PM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
This looks nice

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...upe-5-spd.html
"Looks like a good deal. Considering the engine was refreshed along with other things. Considering 40k is the norm for a high mileage car and I'm still learning about this car but would like to hear what say the 964 experts say."

How does $55 sound like a good deal?
Old 02-05-2016, 09:14 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,229 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulaRX
I bought a 90 C4 sight unseen from PCA a year ago but the owner spent 2 weeks answering all of my questions and made sure I knew what I was buying. He was extremely patient and sent lots of pics and videos so I felt like I actually saw the car in person without really seeing it. Sure the paint's not perfect. May even need a respray but it had records going back to when new. What I'm trying to say here is that these cars are old and often times the price reflects a pristine car but the car is far from that in reality. I'm just fortunate to have found a car that was not misrepresented. It needs work but I knew that prior to buying. I just hope that most others on here going forward don't get too desperate or lose hope to where you're all forking over 50k or more for basket cases. Good cars and honest sellers are still out there. I never buy from dealers
Good for you all the best with it!!

Originally Posted by DoninDen
This looks nice

"Looks like a good deal. Considering the engine was refreshed along with other things. Considering 40k is the norm for a high mileage car and I'm still learning about this car but would like to hear what say the 964 experts say."

Link just leads to Pelican Forums can you repost?
Old 02-05-2016, 09:29 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 526 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Good for you all the best with it!!

Link just leads to Pelican Forums can you repost?
Referring to Hemmings car that you posted earlier
Old 02-05-2016, 09:39 AM
RallyeChris
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by DoninDen
This looks nice

I think $50-$55k is quite fair for that car, pending PPI of course. Again, figure $35k for base car, $10k paint, $10k mechanical (or $5k paint, $15k mechanical). You are at $55k. In this case, the car is already done and ready to be enjoyed. IMO, pricing is on the money.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:04 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

I think I'm going to have to swing by soon and check this one out. (would love to hear the exhaust.)
Nicely optioned too, no radio, sunroof or AC.

http://roadscholars.com/inventory/19...11-rs-america/

...Upgrades included Aasco reworked heads with titanium springs and retainers, RS polished cams, balanced and blueprinted crankshaft, and RS lightweight flywheel and clutch. The upgrade team fully tuned and remapped the DME engine management system to Euro Cup specifications (FVD), and replaced the standard RSA motor mounts with RS “semi-solid” mounts from the Euro version. Subsequently, the team completed more upgrades including B&B stainless steel headers, B&B exhaust system with 200-cell removable cat, and a mass-airflow kit on the opened factory box that, all-in-all, help this engine develop almost 300 horsepower at the wheels (a noticeable improvement over the 250 horsepower stock output.)

The owner replaced the standard five-speed gearbox with a 993 6-speed gearbox and a rebuilt asymmetrical four-disc RSR limited slip differential. Bilstein PSS9 nine-way adjustable coil covers (installed and tuned by Bilstein) tightened the handling. The chassis was aligned and corner-balanced to Euro Cup Car specifications, and the owner’s team fitted it with an RS adjustable rear sway bar. Then they rolled the fenders. With the performance enhancements, better stopping power came from 993 twin turbo “Big Red” brakes with cross-drilled rotors. To best secure the driver, the team installed a Brey-Krause harness truss as well.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:23 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

A lot of salesmanese in that ad. Why do people have to go through all the romantic prose to sell a friggin car? I don't want to marry it.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:30 AM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 117 Posts

What is the asking price
Old 02-05-2016, 10:42 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by eddieb4
What is the asking price
not listed, so it has to be high.
i bet they're asking $200k+ as a full option delete car. if it is a full option delete car, it would be the first i can remember for sale. exceedingly rare.
i still can't get over where the market on these has gone - if i only knew... sold mine with 31k miles!!!
Old 02-05-2016, 10:59 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,229 Posts

I might have access to a very nice RSA low mileage with less than 33k miles red over black 4 optioned car original but in the healthy 6 figure range Never tracked

Very strange when I use the less than symbol it won't post anything after?

Last edited by cobalt; 02-05-2016 at 01:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale