Sponsored by:

964 Prices

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 08:15 AM
john tanglewood
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Rico's997
I am sorry John Tanglewood. I have not idea why I thought you were looking for a Tip. Then I went on a rant. No, pay on the low end 65K for a manual C4. Up to 75K for a 2.
No worries at all!!! Appreciate your detailed reply. I am looking for a manual, but no way I’d want to sit in hours of LA traffic you’re right!! Cheers!

Originally Posted by Rico's997
No, Im talking coupe. Here is one for $47K. He probably will take 46K

https://www.roadsport-usa.com/detail...6ps420412.html
Thanks for linking that car, a beauty for the price!! Wish it was manual!
Old 03-29-2021, 10:11 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Originally Posted by john tanglewood
I'm currently looking at 997 GT3s, but as someone who grew up in the 90s I love the 964 but would want to upgrade many of the parts.

If I would looking to purchase a 964 to modify into a track/street build (including widebody, welded rollcage, etc), what would be the best place to find value in buying the car? Are 90-92 less desirable? Does the price range stay consistent across most years/conditions? And I do a lot of searching on Rennlist, but any other sites I can monitor other than the usuals (BaT, etc)?

Thanks, guys!
If you are looking to do a conversion to a wide body using factory parts you will be better off using the later 91 on tubs. They use different side rocker panels which accommodate the larger clips used to hold the rocker covers on. It is something you can work around but is a lot easier to deal with when all the parts fit without modifications. The later cars do command a premium as many things changed over the years. Although condition, mileage, records and color play an equal roll. It took me 4 years to find a second donor car after looking at countless coupes and even considered modifying a cab into a coupe. It ended up being a 91 C4 already converted to C2. I like the C4's but prefer the C2's and for a true RS clone I need it to be a C2. It takes a bit of money and energy to convert. I recently paid just over $30k for a 145k mile car. The car I first used back in '15 cost me $10k and it was a full C4 complete with only 80k miles but had sat outside for years deteriorating. I hate seeing nice examples chopped up so I was looking for a car that needed to much to bring it back to stock to chop up.

There are some parts NLA to do the conversion and some are stupidly expensive new. It all depends on if you are doing the work yourself or paying someone. You can use some 930 parts and modify them but it is not easy and takes a lot of fabrication time but quarter panels aren't cheap and sometimes it is the less expensive way. I have been picking up all the parts I need to do my second WB conversion over these past 5 years or so and it still cost me triple what it did back in 15 when I did my first for parts alone.

IMO stay away from BaT & BHCC cars. Most all I have seen in person were far from how they were represented, even the nicer ones.

Last edited by cobalt; 03-29-2021 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-25-2021, 02:53 PM
mojo747
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at this! Holy Moly $$$
https://www.elferspot.com/en/car/por...-1990-1036953/
Old 04-25-2021, 04:32 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 989 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by mojo747
that slate gray car was marked as SOLD last week. now it's on the site as Sale Pending. no idea what it went for, but i can't imagine $95k (although the market is NUTS right now).
The following users liked this post:
9SIX4-C4 (04-28-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 06:30 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default BAT C4

I scrolled up quite a bit and didn’t see this one discussed...sorry if it’s a repost. But man, this is crazy money even for a low mileage car that has some wear inside and out:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-carrera-4-25/
9SIX4-C4 (04-28-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 08:14 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Originally Posted by mojo747
A lot going on with that one. Hard to say but the gaps on the right rear quarter are slightly off and the entire car has been repainted. No vin sticker or any body stickers. They are banking on the extras to bring the money but IMO way overpriced for what it is. But I have seen lesser cars sell for as much.
Old 04-28-2021, 12:41 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

here's an interesting auction... enough with the back-dates, here's the all-desirable forward-date. this looks like a poor choice now.

https://www.elferspot.com/en/car/por...-1990-1044305/
JAB12 (04-28-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 10:43 PM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
IMO stay away from BaT & BHCC cars. Most all I have seen in person were far from how they were represented, even the nicer ones.
Hi, I’m new to the 964 forum and only recently started to look for a C2 MT, I posted an ad in the classifieds. I have a 991 and was considering a 997 addition but I have been drawn towards the 964. I have only scratched the surface so far but it does seem that the 964 has a lot to offer, the classic 911 silhouette, small, light with some running gear / suspension updates. I feel like it’s probably a better fit for me and a more visceral drivers car and experience of an older air cooled 911.

Appreciate any advice on other sites to avoid (I am familiar with BHCC through my other classic cars) and any recommendations on how to find my car. It looks like patience is going to be a factor but I want to make sure I am looking in the right places. I am not looking for a low mile garage queen and I am also open to nicely modified cars such as RS clones, a real one doesn’t fit my budget and also I want to drive the car.

I am in California but originally from Europe and would consider bringing in a Euro car. From what I have read pre 95 cars avoid some of the federal safety requirements (FMVSS) but the biggest hurdle I see is getting the car registered in CA due to emission requirements and appropriate stickers. I have found a few Euro 964’s that meet my requirements so if it’s possible I would go that route.

Please send any links my way or leads to cars that are available

cheers
Old 04-29-2021, 12:09 AM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

These cars are flying off the shelves right now and not in a good way. My advice would be hold. I’m seeing a lot of first time buyers with cash to spend who go for cars with lipstick smeared on. Certainly a great time to be a seller…
Old 04-29-2021, 09:26 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ecosse911
Hi, I’m new to the 964 forum and only recently started to look for a C2 MT, I posted an ad in the classifieds...

Please send any links my way or leads to cars that are available
well, you couldn't have picked a worse time to gain interest in the 964. unloved for so long, reasonably priced even as of recently, and now a meteoric rise in price and interest. the only situation that seems to compare to me - for a general model range - is when the longhoods took off. cars are lasting hours and the time to ponder and even consider having the car looked at professionally means you lose the car. learn the models and decide on exactly what you want, so you can react quicker, and look in every location you can think of constantly.

i'm in the same boat as you and it's horrible. i have the funds (the ones necessary now), but i'm still attempting to be logical about the purchase. i turned down a C2 a week ago and it could have been a mistake, but i knew there were things that would bother me about the car and correcting everything put the car over a value i was comfortable with. here's the catch, a correction could take a while. interest has to drop over time - longhoods were strong for a long time. some, like cherry C2s, may never come down again and then maybe you're priced out. imo, a lot of buyers are buying for the long haul also. this is not a market loaded with flippers or casual buyers. it's easy to say 'hold for now', if you're not actively looking. if you REALLY want a 964 (in your yolo moment), you have to risk the market and jump! or..., consider a tip targa or convertible.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:06 PM
Shopcat
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
well, you couldn't have picked a worse time to gain interest in the 964. unloved for so long, reasonably priced even as of recently, and now a meteoric rise in price and interest. the only situation that seems to compare to me - for a general model range - is when the longhoods took off. cars are lasting hours and the time to ponder and even consider having the car looked at professionally means you lose the car. learn the models and decide on exactly what you want, so you can react quicker, and look in every location you can think of constantly.

i'm in the same boat as you and it's horrible. i have the funds (the ones necessary now), but i'm still attempting to be logical about the purchase. i turned down a C2 a week ago and it could have been a mistake, but i knew there were things that would bother me about the car and correcting everything put the car over a value i was comfortable with. here's the catch, a correction could take a while. interest has to drop over time - longhoods were strong for a long time. some, like cherry C2s, may never come down again and then maybe you're priced out. imo, a lot of buyers are buying for the long haul also. this is not a market loaded with flippers or casual buyers. it's easy to say 'hold for now', if you're not actively looking. if you REALLY want a 964 (in your yolo moment), you have to risk the market and jump! or..., consider a tip targa or convertible.
I am in the same boat lol, wanting a 964 for years, finally able to get one and here we are. The only positive vs longhood crazyness is that they did not make many C2 MT 964 coupes... how many longhoods were made again? I don't see them coming down again any time soon.
Old 04-30-2021, 10:12 AM
9SIX4-C4
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 102 Posts

For new 964 owners: The intent of this thread is to share details of recently purchased 964s. Please help the community by sharing the following:

purchase price (in USD please): <input>
purchase date: <input>
mileage: <input>
state or country where purchased: <input>
Model year: <input>
C2 or C4: <input>
Coupe, targa or cab: <input>
color: <input>
tip or manual: <input>
NA or turbo: <input>
any aftermarket accessories that came with the car (including but not limited to wheels, suspension, exhaust, seats, stereo, mirrors, pedals, steering wheel, etc.): <input>
did the vehicle come with tool kit: <input>
did the vehicle come with tire inflator kit: <input>
your assessment of the vehicle history in terms of paperwork/receipts (1-10, 10 being highest): <input>
your assessment of the interior quality (1-10, 10 being highest): <input>
your assessment of the exterior quality (1-10, 10 being highest): <input>
your assessment of the mechanical condition of the vehicle (1-10, 10 being highest): <input>

it's been a while since the last purchase details were shared. Reviving the intent a bit. Thanks!
Old 04-30-2021, 11:17 AM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 369 Posts

I’ve posted this elsewhere in the forum many times.

“when it comes to these cars (the good ones MT, to be specific) one never pays too much. You just pay early”

Highly doubtful any correction is coming soon and the days of the $45K sub 65k mile 964 MT coupe or targa are looong gone! IMHO.

Good luck in your collective searches.
The following 2 users liked this post by JAB12:
9SIX4-C4 (04-30-2021), GoatFarmer (05-03-2021)
Old 05-02-2021, 11:15 PM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 9SIX4-C4
For new 964 owners: The intent of this thread is to share details of recently purchased 964s. Please help the community by sharing the following:

purchase price (in USD please): <input>
purchase date: <input>
mileage: <input>
state or country where purchased: <input>
Model year: <input>
C2 or C4: <input>
Coupe, targa or cab: <input>
color: <input>
tip or manual: <input>
NA or turbo: <input>
any aftermarket accessories that came with the car (including but not limited to wheels, suspension, exhaust, seats, stereo, mirrors, pedals, steering wheel, etc.): <input>
did the vehicle come with tool kit: <input>
did the vehicle come with tire inflator kit: <input>
your assessment of the vehicle history in terms of paperwork/receipts (1-10, 10 being highest): <input>
your assessment of the interior quality (1-10, 10 being highest): <input>
your assessment of the exterior quality (1-10, 10 being highest): <input>
your assessment of the mechanical condition of the vehicle (1-10, 10 being highest): <input>

it's been a while since the last purchase details were shared. Reviving the intent a bit. Thanks!
I will gladly post details if I can find a car... slim pickings and appreciate any leads or tips. Thanks
Old 05-02-2021, 11:33 PM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
Agreed prices are up across the board, even 991s are hard to find with some Porsche dealerships having zero used 911’s. I am fortunate to be looking for my 2nd 911, this time air cooled and I am not in a huge rush but I’m ready if the right car pops up.

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
These cars are flying off the shelves right now and not in a good way. My advice would be hold. I’m seeing a lot of first time buyers with cash to spend who go for cars with lipstick smeared on. Certainly a great time to be a seller…
Looks like I am holding as I haven’t seen any US cars!

I have seen some Euro cars that I would be happy to import. However is there any route to registering a Euro 964 in California? Not an RS but an equivalent model that was sold in the US. I’m guessing no as they won’t have the required emission stickers, however I am open to suggestions if there is a way.

Quick Reply: 964 Prices