Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 02:20 PM
hinton
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by EastEnd944
Just curious to know whats been going on with the harnesses and ecu development/production. Any news is good news, as long as it isn't about one of Alan's pistons visiting the ISS
Sorry, knew I was forgetting something. We battled that lifter tick problem for weeks but finally have it solved. The check valve in the oil block was faulty (iAbed said it’s the first he’s seen fail so it should be a one off issue) and no oil was going to the head.

I am picking up the first 5 NA ECU kits on Wednesday and will ship them later this week.

Alan’s car is going on the dyno tomorrow for initial tuning and hopefully power pulls Wednesday night. We are planning to limit torque to 350 wheel for safety and run it out to about 7500 or when it stops making power, whichever comes first. If we can accomplish that it should make over 400 whp.

The dyno at PE is a real heartbreaker though, so that is tempering my expectations. David (the tuner at PE) has a SR20 swapped 240sx with a Borg Warner EFR running 20psi on E85 and it only made 300 whp on that dyno!
Old 07-20-2020, 08:27 PM
I_am_2_poorsche
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, been following the thread for a while and in the middle of doing the swap.
Seems like enough people will need/are interested in the 01E adapters someone could put in a bulk order at a machine shop. Maybe BoostBrothers are willing to, or someone else. The design for the adapter is known well enough.
Anyone agree, am I just crazy? I would definitely pay ahead for proof of interest in this.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:55 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

delete

Last edited by V2Rocket; 07-20-2020 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:04 PM
hinton
Racer

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
There's a guy on the FB group who was the first one to my knowledge to make the 01E kit and he sells it something like $200 and still offers it.
Sold for $750 and is no longer available. He also said the coupling wasn’t ideal. Project 9 has gone radio silent but at one point he told me it would be like $2500.

We can make it happen but it will be months before we could get one designed, installed and tested. Alan would have a better idea as he is the engineer and procurement wizard.

How many of you would be interested at $1000? $1500?
Old 07-20-2020, 09:05 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by I_am_2_poorsche
Hi, been following the thread for a while and in the middle of doing the swap.
Seems like enough people will need/are interested in the 01E adapters someone could put in a bulk order at a machine shop. Maybe BoostBrothers are willing to, or someone else. The design for the adapter is known well enough.
Anyone agree, am I just crazy? I would definitely pay ahead for proof of interest in this.
With everything going on, I'm just happy Boost Brothers Garage and PE are still coming through with the harnesses and ECU's. Knowing how much work and coordination it takes to produce a quality product that is 100% custom from an engineering standpoint, asking them to do yet another swap product right now might be a little unfair. It is unfortunate Projectnine isn't doing production runs, his coupler looked like a quality product that would work really well. I also think the availability of the 01E in the states hinders the feasibility of production swap components, whereas there are hundreds of thousands of Jetta's that were imported to the states, so the 07k swap just makes sense from a business standpoint.

Mike, you already know I'm interested. It'll be a while before I have spending money, but yeah at that price point I'd be up for it after seeing what Alan can do with the 07k swap kit

Last edited by senior_squishy; 07-20-2020 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:29 PM
I_am_2_poorsche
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by senior_squishy
With everything going on, I'm just happy Boost Brothers Garage and PE are still coming through with the harnesses and ECU's. Knowing how much work and coordination it takes to produce a quality product that is 100% custom from an engineering standpoint, asking them to do yet another swap product right now might be a little unfair. It is unfortunate Projectnine isn't doing production runs, his coupler looked like a quality product that would work really well. I also think the availability of the 01E in the states hinders the feasibility of production swap components, whereas there are hundreds of thousands of Jetta's that were imported to the states, so the 07k swap just makes sense from a business standpoint.

Mike, you already know I'm interested. It'll be a while before I have spending money, but yeah at that price point I'd be up for it after seeing what Alan can do with the 07k swap kit
Seems like the people that have done it are press fitting a clutch spline to a bored piece steel. Those clutch centers are meant to hold a lot of torque so using something that already exists for that purpose would be the easiest option.

I've seen the Project nine kit but the company seems to have ceased to exist. There's companies that do custom spline couplers but they aren't interested in single orders for a reasonable amount of money.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:35 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Originally Posted by I_am_2_poorsche
Seems like the people that have done it are press fitting a clutch spline to a bored piece steel. Those clutch centers are meant to hold a lot of torque so using something that already exists for that purpose would be the easiest option.

I've seen the Project nine kit but the company seems to have ceased to exist. There's companies that do custom spline couplers but they aren't interested in single orders for a reasonable amount of money.
Yeah I saw that thread, but it sounds like he was shredding the splines. Heat treatment could help in re-aligning the crystalline structure to allow higher shear stress, but that all depends on the material they started with. It will be quite a project if they decide to take it on.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:34 PM
bb540
6th Gear

Originally Posted by hinton
We can make it happen but it will be months before we could get one designed, installed and tested.
Should give us all ample time to blow up our stock boxes!
Old 07-21-2020, 08:00 PM
EastEnd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, knew I was forgetting something. We battled that lifter tick problem for weeks but finally have it solved. The check valve in the oil block was faulty (iAbed said it’s the first he’s seen fail so it should be a one off issue) and no oil was going to the head.

I am picking up the first 5 NA ECU kits on Wednesday and will ship them later this week.

Alan’s car is going on the dyno tomorrow for initial tuning and hopefully power pulls Wednesday night. We are planning to limit torque to 350 wheel for safety and run it out to about 7500 or when it stops making power, whichever comes first. If we can accomplish that it should make over 400 whp.

The dyno at PE is a real heartbreaker though, so that is tempering my expectations. David (the tuner at PE) has a SR20 swapped 240sx with a Borg Warner EFR running 20psi on E85 and it only made 300 whp on that dyno!
That is amazing to hear. Very excited to see/hear the turbo build run. Glad to hear you guys got that figured out, could've caused some major issues... Does that mean if you pull oil from the head you won't get lifter tick? Or will there not be enough oil pressure?

Also... 350 wheel torque is still a solid number for a stock block and head.

Sold for $750 and is no longer available. He also said the coupling wasn’t ideal. Project 9 has gone radio silent but at one point he told me it would be like $2500.

We can make it happen but it will be months before we could get one designed, installed and tested. Alan would have a better idea as he is the engineer and procurement wizard.

How many of you would be interested at $1000? $1500?
I've been looking into doing this swap since I first saw a thread on it a while back. I'm currently in the process of getting one shipped to me from Germany, so that when the time comes (either via my own work or a kit) I can have it ready to go.

If you guys started working on a swap kit for the 01E after the 07K swap I'd be confident to say that you could get a decent number of people interested. Either through 07K, LSx, or just 951 guys. The 01E swap is still cheaper than a AOR and more reliable/has more replacement parts available. However I'm sure a lot of it will come down to final price for many. Just my two cents.
Old 07-21-2020, 08:21 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Perhaps a 944-ist in the EU could arrange shipment of a pallet (container? lol) of 01Es to the US to make it more practical.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:38 AM
senior_squishy
Racer

That would be ideal. I'd be up for pooling into a shipment at some point, its either that or a new syncro kit for one a friend has, which honestly would probably be more expensive but as EastEnd said, really depends on the money. Time to make another thread for interest in 01E transaxles I guess!
Old 07-22-2020, 12:37 PM
tims944
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a contact or 2 in europe already for transmissions as i have inquired and already brought 2 in.
as for the adaptors, if i free up some more time i could look at making a batch of the one i designed for my use.
i would try and make a prototype finalized design and maybe show you guys and see what you think..

I actually contacted and drew up a cad design for the optimal one.. cheapest place quoted be like 1200-2500$ per piece of a 1 piece machined part... was way too pricey...
so i made my own.. or had it made by a shop, luckily all the tooling is now made for more to be made just lack the time to have it done and motivation as i got my 2.. and well the initial costs were high..

but could be motivated to maybe make a run of them if interest was actually there.
The following users liked this post:
I_am_2_poorsche (07-22-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 02:11 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey guys I know I’ve been MIA on here for a while, but I wanted to let you know that I got to drive my car for the first time last night with a mild tune on it (12 psi/wastegate spring only, no ignition timing or VVT yet). And it was already wicked. I’d say comparable to my LS1 (cam’d 383 stroker) in terms of raw acceleration. But whereas the LS likes 2-5000 rpm, the 07k likes 3-7500 rpm. The noises it makes are worth all the effort, and hopefully it will be really reliable at even higher power levels on the stock long block. David at PE was monitoring (listening with headphones to a knock sensor) and there was nothing up to 18 psi. We didn’t push it further, but at that boost level with timing and VVT we think it will be good for enough HP that you may have to start thinking about a 951 trans lifespan (01E FTW). I don’t want to talk absolute numbers until we are finished tuning and put it on a different dyno or two to see the variation.

My tune (and I believe everyone’s base tune on the turbo version) will have two boost levels via an optional electronic boost control solenoid. You can easily wire in a switch to flip between them. Basically it will run on the wastegate spring (recommend buying a 12 psi) or 18 psi max via the EBC. And of course, everyone can change the tune for whatever boost level you want; this is just a base tune to let you drive around a bit and then tune to your personal taste and hardware selections.

In the end, whatever the numbers are, I think we’re all in for a treat as far as the driving experience. The noises that come out of this thing (even slightly muffled by the turbo) are absolutely awesome. And the powerband has that frenetic top end that makes you want to give it hell as much as possible.
The following 6 users liked this post by vt951:
dmnted (07-23-2020), EastEnd944 (07-23-2020), odurandina (07-23-2020), rktmn247 (07-25-2020), senior_squishy (07-23-2020), Sixline (07-23-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-23-2020, 08:09 PM
Pdh
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats awesome! Can't wait for the final results on 12 and 18 psi tunes! Seems like the power band will be massive! Keep up the good work!
Old 07-24-2020, 10:24 AM
hinton
Racer

Enjoy!

The following 5 users liked this post by hinton:
333pg333 (07-25-2020), dmnted (07-24-2020), Droops83 (07-24-2020), odurandina (07-24-2020), Sixline (07-24-2020)

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread