Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 07:36 AM
3doghouse
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations! It looks awesome. Can't wait to see how it performs!
Old 06-18-2020, 10:25 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Cjar
Bellhousing is the same from the original EA855 to the EVO engine. Driver side engine mount is likely different, as the coolant/oil system appears to have changed on the aluminum block. Simple quick check before going too far is fitment - with Audi Valvelift on the top of the exhaust cam the EVO engine is quite a bit taller.
One of my co-workers has a newer Audi RS3 with this engine. It would be difficult to assess everything, but maybe if one of you guys can give me a dimension for how tall the regular 07K cam tower is (distance from bottom of head to top of exhaust cam cover) and how much clearance there is, perhaps I could measure the same on the RS3.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:09 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So I found some more off the shelf coolant hoses that will fit the stock 944 radiator in addition to the ones listed in Alan's post above.

From the back flange, using Dayco 72365 when ran around the brake lines and all the other stuff going on, it stops right before the alternator, so I used a Gates 20416, and then just cut it to length on the short side to meet the upper rad port.

Then we have the second hose from the lower rad port, listed as Dayco 72193. As seen above, it didn't go up all the way, so I went back to the store and got a Gates 22503, and lopped off part of the end to fit nicely.

These both clear my electric AC compressor very nicely, and I'll probably get some silicone clamps to delete those metal ones at some point, but for now I think they're fine
edit: Manifold clearance pic:

Last edited by senior_squishy; 06-21-2020 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-21-2020, 07:11 PM
Sixline
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Hey Spencer, doesn't look like your images are loading. Also, can you share the details on your A/C? It is definitely something I plan to keep. Thanks!
Old 06-21-2020, 09:33 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Originally Posted by Sixline
Hey Spencer, doesn't look like your images are loading. Also, can you share the details on your A/C? It is definitely something I plan to keep. Thanks!
@Sixline Hopefully these pictures load for you.
Here's some pics of my AC setup too, I'll put links and details at the bottom.

The following are links to eBay listings of components I used to piece together a custom all flexible hose setup that is compatible with the stock condenser and evaporator in the early 944 chassis:

Compressor
7/8"-14 AC Fitting This goes on the low side suction port of the compressor, to the evaporator in the cab. 2 needed for a full section
9/16"-18 Fitting This goes on the high side, to size 6 hose, to a splice to size 8, to the barb on the condenser upfront. If you can find one that has a size 8 instead of a size 6, that would work better because then you dont have to use a splice and can go right from the compressor to the condenser in one length of hose. 2 needed, one on the evaporator side, one on the compressor.
5/8"-18 Fitting This goes from the dryer on the high side to the expansion valve / AC unit inside the cab
Barb Splice
Barrier Hose
Hydraulic Crimp Tool
I purchased ten feet of size 10, ten feet of size 6, and a one-foot section of size 8, but you could probably get away with 7 feet of size 6, and 3 feet of size 8 if you manage to find the right fittings.
Also, I now have 2 high side service ports because I forgot I already had one on the stock system, but that just means if one ends up being plugged when I purge il just use the other.
I also have a bunch of 8ga uninsulated crimp connectors in the mail, with which I'll join the black wires I already have ran to the controller, which I've mounted inside the cab behind the AC unit. The AC switch is in the center console, which is a much bigger project

Last edited by senior_squishy; 06-21-2020 at 10:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sixline (06-22-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 12:14 AM
Sixline
Rennlist Member

Yep, can see them now.

You'll have to let us know how the compressor works out. I have been looking at the Rencool style compressors which have the controller built in. Just not sure how it will cope on a 100 degree day. Would really like to just reuse my Sanden compressor but not sure if there will be room.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-DC-Full...YAAOSwUshdPaSE
Old 06-22-2020, 10:30 AM
senior_squishy
Racer

Originally Posted by Sixline
You'll have to let us know how the compressor works out. I have been looking at the Rencool style compressors which have the controller built in. Just not sure how it will cope on a 100 degree day. Would really like to just reuse my Sanden compressor but not sure if there will be room.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-DC-Full...YAAOSwUshdPaSE
Wow, that's quite the unit! This one has mine beat in max RPM (4500 vs 4000) and displacement (18cc vs 11.6). Im not finding a solid answer on COP for this one though, plus I'm not sure how big it is. Finding a place to mount it could be challenging, but having the controller built in would make wiring much easier. Should be interesting to see how mine does, I think cooling capacity is based on the area of the evaporator and airspeed going across the fins, so I wouldn't read too far into the "max btu" bs. Keeping the condenser fan always running is essential for one of these as well.... Something to think about.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:38 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

I know it's late now but that doesn't seem like a very user friendly compressor location.
Since it is electric it could happily hide under the fender in place of the charcoal canister or something instead.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:55 AM
senior_squishy
Racer

Oh believe me I know, it looks pretty janky right in the center but It's pretty heavy, so I needed someplace that would withstand all that weight, be accessible for charging, and also have easy routing to the condenser. Right now it's just there so i can make sure everything works, and will probably be relocated in the future.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:12 PM
Villkain

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have spent the last week or so reading and re-reading this entire thread. I'm completely captivated by this swap. Nothing useful to add as I haven't ventured down this road yet. I would ask a quick question. Anyone actually removed a perfectly good running 951 engine (M44/52) to put in the 07k?
Old 07-01-2020, 01:18 PM
hinton
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Villkain
I have spent the last week or so reading and re-reading this entire thread. I'm completely captivated by this swap. Nothing useful to add as I haven't ventured down this road yet. I would ask a quick question. Anyone actually removed a perfectly good running 951 engine (M44/52) to put in the 07k?
Not that I’m aware of. It would be somewhat tough to justify unless you were wanting to future proof the drivetrain and are just a big fan of the swap.

Completely different story once the 951 engine is tired or blown. Hell even a clutch replacement would have me considering it haha.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:55 AM
Sixline
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Villkain
I did, although I wouldn't call it perfect. It was running fine but leaking oil from lots of places and the springs in the clutch had grenaded.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:27 AM
Villkain

Originally Posted by hinton
Not that I’m aware of. It would be somewhat tough to justify unless you were wanting to future proof the drivetrain and are just a big fan of the swap.

Completely different story once the 951 engine is tired or blown. Hell even a clutch replacement would have me considering it haha.

Actually, I just spent 12 months doing a massive refresh/replace on my engine. Way too much to list, but focus was new rod bearings and all new seals and gaskets across the board. It's all but showroom looking right now. Inside and out. No leaks, runs perfect. But as we all know it is an interference engine and i'm just 1 belt away from it all going up in smoke. I did all that work to try and safely add a little boost to the car. I didn't say I was bright, but trying to be a little safe. Since the 07k engine is so cheap, I think I'm going to spend a while searching for a perfect low mileage one to grab and store in my basement. My car is a 1988 Turbo S so maybe she'll hold up for a while. But, it is really comforting now to know there are options if/when the unthinkable happens. I appreciate all the fellow enthusiasts. I'll take up no more of your time or thread space. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:53 PM
rex!
Rennlist Member

I have an 83 NA 5spd 944 with manual steering. It is currently in decent running shape, fresh clutch, gaskets, hoses, and importantly no leaks. I'd like to get into time attack with it, but I'll be starting with the car as-is to get races under my belt. I've been watching the 07k build videos and I like what I've seen. I expect to engine failure at some point on the track and I like the premise of the 07k swap as an eventual remediation. I have a bunch of questions, and I'm going to admit and apologize that I'm not super knowledgeable about the 944 platform (yet).

Questions:
  • How is the front/rear weight distribution impacted? Is any before/after corner balance data available?
  • Is the 83 NA transaxle sufficient for an NA 07k build?
    • How about a turbo 07k build?
    • If I wanted to go higher-hp, what is the transaxle upgrade path?
  • Which Haltech did you guys end up with - the 2500?
    • Is there a harness/adapter kit for Haltech --> 07k+944?
      • If so, does this allow retaining any of the "native" instrumentation?
  • Is there an objectively most desirable year/engine code of 07k?

Last edited by rex!; 07-02-2020 at 11:54 PM. Reason: formatting
Old 07-03-2020, 12:45 AM
hinton
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by rex!
Questions:
  • How is the front/rear weight distribution impacted? Is any before/after corner balance data available?
  • Is the 83 NA transaxle sufficient for an NA 07k build?
    • How about a turbo 07k build?
    • If I wanted to go higher-hp, what is the transaxle upgrade path?
  • Which Haltech did you guys end up with - the 2500?
    • Is there a harness/adapter kit for Haltech --> 07k+944?
      • If so, does this allow retaining any of the "native" instrumentation?
  • Is there an objectively most desirable year/engine code of 07k?
Weight Distribution: No corner balance yet but the engine sits further back in the bay so it should be improved.

Transaxle: NA - yes. Turbo - not for long haha! 951, 968 trans or go to an 01E which requires fabrication.

ECU: We are using a standalone ECU from
Performance Electronics. It includes a swap harness and integrates with the factory gauges.

Engine Year: 2008 and up for the upgraded timing chain. I personally like the 2008-2010 because they still have a standard mechanically controlled oil pump. 2011+ aren’t a problem though.

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread