944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2020 | 10:07 PM
Tignition
6th Gear

Really struggling to source a 5cyl of any form in NZ. I don't think any pedestrian 07Ks made it here, just the two RSs. Closest I've come is a wrecking RS3 in Takanini. Why was it written off I hear you ask? Rod through the block. Brilliant. I'm sure if I put a notice in at the wreckers asking for an RS engine i'd end up getting charged the earth.

Patrick - hi from across the ditch - are you doing an 07K swap? I remember seeing a plenum you'd had done with 5 holes in it 50 pages back. If so, where did you source from? Sorry to ask dumb questions. I find combing back through the thread and finding everyone's status quite tricky.
Old 08-05-2020 | 07:23 PM
hinton
Racer

Originally Posted by Tignition
Really struggling to source a 5cyl of any form in NZ. I don't think any pedestrian 07Ks made it here, just the two RSs. Closest I've come is a wrecking RS3 in Takanini. Why was it written off I hear you ask? Rod through the block. Brilliant. I'm sure if I put a notice in at the wreckers asking for an RS engine i'd end up getting charged the earth.

Patrick - hi from across the ditch - are you doing an 07K swap? I remember seeing a plenum you'd had done with 5 holes in it 50 pages back. If so, where did you source from? Sorry to ask dumb questions. I find combing back through the thread and finding everyone's status quite tricky.
NZ? Need someone to come help do the swap?! Haha... I know there is an exporter in Poland that has them. I can also help you source one in the US. No idea what a pallet to NZ would cost though? $1k US?
Old 08-05-2020 | 11:00 PM
Tignition
6th Gear

Originally Posted by hinton
NZ? Need someone to come help do the swap?! Haha... I know there is an exporter in Poland that has them. I can also help you source one in the US. No idea what a pallet to NZ would cost though? $1k US?
Ehhh it's not all peachy over here - would be committing to doing the build already if housing larger than a shoebox were actually affordable...

I would guess it would be prohibitively expensive to ship. Only estimating tools I can find quote 1500 USD. I think my only way forward will be via an RS wreck, which - depending on how clued-up the wreckers are - could also be prohibitively expensive. You'll find "prohibitively expensive" to be a phrase used a lot by auto enthusiasts in NZ.

Jettas made it here, although I've yet to see one without an EA888. Passats all seem to have some shallow VR5. Neat engine, but definitely no baby V10.

Will continue to lurk until I come through with any developments...
Old 08-06-2020 | 12:28 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

plenty of freight forwarders in California that ship to NZ/Oz.
maybe check with user 333pg333 (Patrick, over in Oz) how he would ship engines from his builder in Los Angeles?
2-3 of these engines should fit on a standard pallet skid.
Old 08-06-2020 | 01:23 PM
Pdh
Advanced

Maybe try something in Canada. We have lots of 07k and our dollar isn't worth anything compared to the usa. The guy I bought my 07k from has another one with 34,000 km not sure if he does international shipping though but I'm sure someone in Canada does. Might get you up to 30% savings due to exchange rate
Old 08-06-2020 | 03:31 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

From: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

i just can't get over how the Euro manufacturers so dislike selling engines.
Where North America offers a wide range of blocks,
bore/stroke w/ sky's the limit hp n/a or turbo.
Any reason a Euro manufacturer as huge as VAG can't offer
a larger displacement block pushing 3.0 liters, other than a general
disdain for offering [choice] to the public?
A larger I-5 would offer the best of all worlds for a long line of cars.
Just don't get why Euro engines are pinned to the cubic micron.

Old 08-06-2020 | 03:51 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

their car culture is totally different and a fraction of what it is here.

if people want a modded car of brand XYZ they just buy some tuning house's offering rather than trying to build something. that's how AMG/Brabus/AC Schnitzer/etc came around and stay in business...but Peugeot or Opel or Volvo have no interest in reproducing some engine they made in 1962.

its really weird when people in Europe or even in GERMANY have to buy Porsche parts from sellers in the US because they either plain can't find anything in Europe, or pricing is absolutely astronomical.

Originally Posted by odurandina
i just can't get over how the Euro manufacturers so dislike selling engines.
Where North America offers a wide range of blocks,
bore/stroke w/ sky's the limit hp n/a or turbo.
Any reason a Euro manufacturer as huge as VAG can't offer
a larger displacement block pushing 3.0 liters, other than a general
disdain for offering [choice] to the public?
A larger I-5 would offer the best of all worlds for a long line of cars.
Just don't get why Euro engines are pinned to the cubic micron.
Old 08-06-2020 | 04:00 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

From: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Thanks but i wonder if this actually true.
Generally, i see mixed messages.
Euro's are huge wrenchers and hotrod everything.
Old 4 cylinder Porsche's never die: they are reborn.
Euro's don't drive cars.

Not trying to cast aspersions to the thread.
Don't get me wrong. This is a very nice engine. Honestly,
i prefer the i5 pushing [engineering] limits over a v8.
These swaps offer to breathe new life into these cars,
for people not wanting to go V8 or stay with the stock engine.
The work that has gone into this project is beyond my
comprehension. But the swap itself is costly.

It seems reasonable to desire if you 'go this far' that you're
installing an engine with higher hp potential (than this small i5),
without pushing the motor to the point where service life falters.
(500~700hp where the tuning world has gone).
As a person who personally dislikes Japanese cars, there are dozens
of money in projects in the range we're looking at in this thread--
that will render a way faster car.

They built >3 liter inline 6's as far back as the 60's. Chrysler built straight
sixes for passenger cars from 70~81 ranging from 3.5–4.3L (Australia)
and 70's Chevy's right at 4.0L.

But i'm not talking about putting larger i5's in 60's Euro cars.
i'm thinking mostly of the Golf/924 era going forward.
i guess you could have Alpha's and other interesting cars in the mix,
But all the older Audi's and VW's you drive hard on the Autobahn or
interstate, and then be able to enjoy at autocross or the track.
Seems they could have i5's pushing high displacement as a viable
option to replace V6's & V8's in a lot of manufacturing as well.
Then see those engines going in other cars.

Last edited by odurandina; 08-07-2020 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-06-2020 | 10:31 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
I would just turbo a PI N/A motor (like Alan and others are doing). That's how most people perform turbo 07k swaps. The TFSI engines would require a lot more money in engine management to be able to control the DI system (Syvecs has been done on some TTRS/RS3's on the 07k evo engine).
For the 1st gen TFSI 07k you're probably looking at $5k+ or so and 2nd gen 07k evo is probably around $10k still. Not too many have ended up at recyclers yet.
Understood. PI is certainly easier to do and more budget friendly, so makes sense.
Old 08-07-2020 | 12:33 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
I would just turbo a PI N/A motor (like Alan and others are doing). That's how most people perform turbo 07k swaps. The TFSI engines would require a lot more money in engine management to be able to control the DI system (Syvecs has been done on some TTRS/RS3's on the 07k evo engine).
For the 1st gen TFSI 07k you're probably looking at $5k+ or so and 2nd gen 07k evo is probably around $10k still. Not too many have ended up at recyclers yet.
The ultimate solution would be one of the "Evo" engines, as the aluminum block is much lighter and seems to be plenty strong as evidenced by the crazy power levels that IROZ, et al are getting out of them. If one were to find one of these engines for a reasonable price, the direct injection system could be eliminated to simplify things (plug injector ports in head, block off injection pump mounting holes). Yes, DFI is nice for controlling combustion chamber temps, but you could get a set of "normal" forged pistons to lower the compression ratio to the usual range for a highly boosted port-injected engine, build your fuel system, etc. The stock rods on those seem to be quite robust. You would have to sort out whatever physical differences there are between the iron and aluminum block engines, but that would probably be doable.

In any case, I am excited to see more 07K 944s come to life, and I hope to somehow get on this bandwagon here in CA . . .
Old 08-07-2020 | 04:06 AM
Thom
Race Car

Originally Posted by V2Rocket

if people want a modded car of brand XYZ they just buy some tuning house's offering rather than trying to build something. that's how AMG/Brabus/AC Schnitzer/etc came around and stay in business...but Peugeot or Opel or Volvo have no interest in reproducing some engine they made in 1962.

its really weird when people in Europe or even in GERMANY have to buy Porsche parts from sellers in the US because they either plain can't find anything in Europe, or pricing is absolutely astronomical.
Here is a few reasons that come to mind for the car culture being different :
- Most people do not have financial access to cars they would find worth modifying.
- There is no such thing as Summit Racing where anything can be found at reasonable prices to upgrade basically any given US-made V8 engine.
- The homologation laws are very strict and felt as a huge deterrent. Modifying anything is basically illegal in most countries, unless using a "tuning" company which has invested in having its products and tuning schemes homologated for road use.
- People who are not exactly confident with a wrench would rather not risk themselves doing anything.
- European cars are generally nowhere near as simple to work on as American cars.
- Considering things over the long term remains certainly more pronounced in Europe than in the US, especially in the current difficult and uncertain times where spending money into such toys is not really considered essential, and blowing 10-15k on a an engine swap for a car worth not much more will ruin its resale value.

/OT
The following users liked this post:
odurandina (08-07-2020)
Old 08-07-2020 | 02:44 PM
hinton
Racer

Originally Posted by odurandina
It seems reasonable to desire if you 'go this far' that you're
installing an engine with higher hp potential (than this small i5),
without pushing the motor to the point where service life falters.
(500~700hp where the tuning world has gone).
I think you are underestimating this engine. The stock cast crank is good to 600 tq, which means a set of rods and pistons allow you to easily eclipse 700hp. These engines have been pushed to 1100hp with forged internals before the block let go. The fact that we are getting the results we are from the turbo build is super exciting. The next build is getting forged internals, cams and a turbo that can support 900hp. All for less than the price of a crate LS.
odurandina (08-07-2020)
Old 08-07-2020 | 03:03 PM
hinton
Racer

Default PSA - PLEASE READ!

All, it has come to my attention that some people have installed engines without the crank position sensor impulse rotor. If this happens your engine WILL NOT fire and you will have to removed the engine, flywheel and clutch in order to fix it. Not fun!

I have attached a picture of what it looks like below. It slides over the back of the crankshaft before the flywheel goes on. If your engine comes used and does not have a flywheel or flex plate on it you need to make sure it is there or order a new one. If your engine did come with a flywheel or flex plate it will already be there and will stay in place unless you remove it. Lastly, the OEM "shim" behind the flywheel / pressure plate IS NOT used on these swaps.

czentner (08-07-2020)
Old 08-07-2020 | 03:06 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hinton
The next build is getting forged internals, cams and a turbo that can support 900hp.
Time to get working on that transaxle solution...
senior_squishy (08-07-2020)
Old 08-07-2020 | 03:43 PM
hinton
Racer

Originally Posted by chrenan
Time to get working on that transaxle solution...
Haha, no joke
chrenan (08-07-2020)

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread