Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't ever help this moron

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 02:27 AM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by SidViscous
So once again, you don't allow people to have opinions that you don't like. That's the whole key to the game. Allowing people to believe things, even when you disagree with them.
I didn't say you can't have that opinion. You're reading words that were never written.
I said I think your opinion is a bad idea, we're allowed to disagree. If you don't like something, you should try to change it, not ignore it.
You can try to ignore the government, but it's not going to ignore you.

Originally posted by Geo
Lastly, saying the IRS takes money by force is totally ignorant and you just lost a fair amount of respect in my eyes with that statement. You've done a pretty good job to this point of staying mostly unemotional in making your arguments, but that's pure monkey poo. For one thing, you have a choice. If you don't want to pay US taxes, you have a choice to go somewhere else.
That shows a lot of ignorance on your part.
First off, it is force, or rather threat of force that compels people to pay taxes. And have you ever tried to leave the US? You still have to pay taxes as long as you're a citizen. If you want to renounce your citizenship, you have to pay a huge amount of money. I doubt many people on this board could afford it. They passed that law to keep rich Americans from leaving and taking their money.
But more importantly, what is this "love it or leave it" bull**** attitude? If one of your neighbors started dumping trash on your yard, would you move or would you stay and fight for what's yours? If a bunch of idiots are screwing up something good, it's idiocy to leave. The smart action is to fight the idiots. So I do. I could try to physically resist them, as you suggest, but I'd be squashed quickly, so instead, I do my best to help the pro-freedom movement grow, eventually we'll win.

Originally posted by Geo

I don't know if you're using sarcasm here or something, but this is ridiculous at face value. The world is not always a nice place and not everyone means well. Just because we don't hurt anyone doesn't mean someone won't want to hurt us (using "we" and "us" in a more generic sense that talking about ours or another's government). This applies to individuals and to groups of individuals. The concept that if we just play nice with everyone we'll have nothing to worry about is naive.
I used Switzerland as an example of generosity for a reason. When was the last time a terrorist bomb went off in Bern? How many Russian subs or Chinese ICBMs are targetting Geneva?
I didn't know they were so heavy in foreign aid (I'm a bit surprised, actually). I was calling their non-interventionist policy generosity, because they don't try to make other countries wear Lederhosen and eat good chocolate.

And yes, "some" foreign governments choose to accept the US aid, but some don't. Iraq didn't choose to let the US "free" it, that's why they shot at the US troops. I don't think Haiti wanted our "help" either.
And of the governments that do accept it, many are like South Vietnam, Saudi Arabia, or Colombia, where the aid is used to help prop up a US-friendly government that is very unpopular with its citizens. So we help the wannabe dictators of the world at the expense of their people.
And what do the people do? They grow to resent the US, and they join communist or fundamentalist resistance groups.

Originally posted by Moe
What cracks me up about some folks, is they somehow feel they are more "patriotic" than the next guy because they bash the USA in public, and wrap themselves in "free speech". I wonder if they bash their parents or children in public while claiming to be a wonderful family man.

Jeeze........
Almost as bad as a person who has a wife-beater or drug addict in the family and doesn't try to fix the problem.
None of us are bashing the US, we're discussing the flaws of the current government policies.
The US is a great nation! The fact that we can have a discussion like this without having the KGB or SS knock down our doors and drag us off is proof of that!

Last edited by Ag951; 09-13-2003 at 02:43 AM.
Old 09-13-2003, 03:14 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

Changing ideas and loosing respect are different things.

But fair enough, fair cop, I retract my hostility on that comment.
Old 09-13-2003, 04:34 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And perhaps someday, hundreds or thousands of years in the future, the basics tenets of this country will be used to forge an even greater state, much like we used the best of many of the world's great civilizations' tenets to forge ours. For ours will likely fall someday. Maybe in hundreds of years. Maybe in thousands. But history suggests it will happen.
And that's all I'm saying. I'm not saying tje US should, or will fall soon. Just that we are formed on great ideals, and the US won't be around forever.
Old 09-13-2003, 06:41 AM
Addict
Rennlist Member

I dont think he meant what he said. He is just looking for attention.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:44 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by Ag951
But more importantly, what is this "love it or leave it" bull**** attitude?
Never said that.

Never implied it.

I simply pointed out that you have a choice. What's more is you make a choice. You choose to stay here.

If one of your neighbors started dumping trash on your yard, would you move or would you stay and fight for what's yours? If a bunch of idiots are screwing up something good, it's idiocy to leave. The smart action is to fight the idiots.
Not arguing that. Never did. In fact, I completely agree with you.

I could try to physically resist them, as you suggest, but I'd be squashed quickly, so instead, I do my best to help the pro-freedom movement grow, eventually we'll win.
I never suggested physically resisting. I suggested that you again have a choice. If you truly have the courage of your conviction like the Founding Fathers did, you could choose not to pay taxes.

I used Switzerland as an example of generosity for a reason. When was the last time a terrorist bomb went off in Bern? How many Russian subs or Chinese ICBMs are targetting Geneva?
You know what? Nobody knows. I'd bet there are plenty targeting Switzerland. They are a world banking center and chances are high somebody (if not everybody) wants the option of disrupting that.

I didn't know they were so heavy in foreign aid (I'm a bit surprised, actually). I was calling their non-interventionist policy generosity, because they don't try to make other countries wear Lederhosen and eat good chocolate.
No, they just aid those who do.

So we help the wannabe dictators of the world at the expense of their people. And what do the people do? They grow to resent the US, and they join communist or fundamentalist resistance groups.
Yeah, you're 100% correct there. We use money as leverage. IMHO we do it too often, although I don't think we should ever stop it completely. Some people resent the USA because we can use money as leverage.

But, we are still the most generous country the world has ever known. We give lots of help and aid that does not come with strings attached.

I'm all for looking at our faults in the mirror. But at the same time, let's be fair too.
Old 09-13-2003, 01:02 PM
MAS
Racer

Great on-topic Porsche thread!

-MAS
Old 09-13-2003, 01:49 PM
Wahoogie
Racer

Ok, First time posting in this thread but here is my view.

What happened on 9/11 was horrible. Nothing I say is trying to make it less so. What I think we should realize though is it is just a wakeup call. Things like this happen all over the world, and we rarely hear about it. I think its just an eye-opener. I did have friends of my family lost that day, and I think we have every right to be PISSED AS HELL at whoever did this.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:28 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Geo
Never said that.

Never implied it.

I simply pointed out that you have a choice. What's more is you make a choice. You choose to stay here.
It sounded like it when you said I could leave.
I never suggested physically resisting. I suggested that you again have a choice. If you truly have the courage of your conviction like the Founding Fathers did, you could choose not to pay taxes.
I'd consider anything that gets me sent to prison physical resistance.

You know what? Nobody knows. I'd bet there are plenty targeting Switzerland. They are a world banking center and chances are high somebody (if not everybody) wants the option of disrupting that.
Possibly, but I doubt it. Switzerland has no strategic value, so it wouldn't make a good primary target. I would suspect that most world powers have spies watching the swiss banks.
Krushev never pounded his shoe and said he'd bury Switzerland. Terrorists don't target them.

Yeah, you're 100% correct there. We use money as leverage. IMHO we do it too often, although I don't think we should ever stop it completely. Some people resent the USA because we can use money as leverage.

But, we are still the most generous country the world has ever known. We give lots of help and aid that does not come with strings attached.

I'm all for looking at our faults in the mirror. But at the same time, let's be fair too.
And my whole point was that the aid (finacial and military) we give to dictators and the influence we exert over sovereign nations causes most of the anti-US resentment.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:35 PM
Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 19 Posts

We are evil? We hand out billions of dollars every year to your backward fuggin countrys that are still in the freakin stone age. Like Bill Mahr said "I haven't seen anything of value invented by anyone named Abuu" Maybe if they would get their $hit together in the middle east the world would be a better place. They have been fighting for 3,000 fuggin years for jebus sakes. I say screw them, in fact the world would be a much better place if we just nuked that entire area back into the stone age.........oh wait, they still are in the stone age. Eh, screw them.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:43 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

You're right. The world would be a better if we commited mass genocide and wiped out the entire area's population.

The US government isn't evil, but they do plenty of evil things. They prop up dictators and despots all around the world. Just look into all the garbage the CIA did during the Cold War.

And for the most part, all of our aid money comes with major strings attached. Just look at what we did before the Iraq War. We threatened Turkey that we wouldn't give them any aid unless they do exactly what we want. We have to buy our allies now. Of course, there's money like what goes to Africa to fight AIDS and such that is genuinly philanthropic, but most money we give is because we got something in return.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:12 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally posted by iloveporsches
And for the most part, all of our aid money comes with major strings attached. Just look at what we did before the Iraq War. We threatened Turkey that we wouldn't give them any aid unless they do exactly what we want. We have to buy our allies now. Of course, there's money like what goes to Africa to fight AIDS and such that is genuinly philanthropic, but most money we give is because we got something in return.
...or, the other way of looking at it is, noone will help us unless they are paid for their services, even if they agree with us in principle. Is the United States the evil party if everyone is looking for a handout in exchange for help?

There were serious concerns that Turkey had its own agenda with Iraq, sending its own troops in to "secure" the north, which was essentially taking over that land for their own use. Every country the US tries to work with involves a tradeoff of plusses and minuses.

There are plenty of international agencies (such as the IMF) that also play god with the money they distribute (loan and forgive) into various lost causes around the world.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:23 PM
Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 19 Posts

^^^Nothing in life is free

And you and I know the nuke comment is one thrown around all the time so chill out.

The fact remains that wilthout the United States the world would be a worse off place. My family came to the United States in the early 1900s from Spain, Puerto Rico, and Corsica because of the opportunities here. It is still that way.

But the fact remains, it's been 3,000 to 4,000 years of turmoil in that region. If things remain the way they are that region will be the start of another world war.

Listen I'm not here to really argue about the good and bad that the United States has done. But the Unitied States has done WAY more good than it has done bad. And any bad it's done has been to protect it's own interests which is no different than any other country would do. Blowing yourself up and killing 100s of innocent civilians is protecting your interests right?
Old 09-13-2003, 07:45 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

...or, the other way of looking at it is, noone will help us unless they are paid for their services, even if they agree with us in principle. Is the United States the evil party if everyone is looking for a handout in exchange for help?
That's not neccesarily true, because countries liek Britain stand by us all the time. But I get your point, and you're right. I don't think that the US dangling the cash carrot in front of countries is wrong or evil, but I know we don't just write checks out of the good of our heart.

And you and I know the nuke comment is one thrown around all the time so chill out.
I know it's a comment thrown around all the time, but that doesn't make it any less ignorant.

The fact remains that wilthout the United States the world would be a worse off place. My family came to the United States in the early 1900s from Spain, Puerto Rico, and Corsica because of the opportunities here. It is still that way.

But the fact remains, it's been 3,000 to 4,000 years of turmoil in that region. If things remain the way they are that region will be the start of another world war.
Agreed on both points.

Listen I'm not here to really argue about the good and bad that the United States has done. But the Unitied States has done WAY more good than it has done bad. And any bad it's done has been to protect it's own interests which is no different than any other country would do. Blowing yourself up and killing 100s of innocent civilians is protecting your interests right?
I can't agree to that one. Seriously go and look at everything we did around the third world during the Cold War. It's atrocious. But I will say again that the US is the best country to live in. We just don't treat others all that nicely. AFAIK Britain, France, Spain, Mexico, Canada, etc. didn't prop up dictators, stage coups, run drug and arms rings, oust democratically elected officials, etc., and they managed to protect their interests.
Old 09-13-2003, 08:12 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by 89magic98
Is the United States the evil party if everyone is looking for a handout in exchange for help?
Indeed.

Who is the guilty party? The *****? Or the person who pays the *****?
Old 09-13-2003, 08:13 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

SCAREY!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Don't ever help this moron