Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder RS driving/ownership impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 02:46 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,707 Likes on 2,739 Posts

Can you trust anyone that sits on the front of a car like that!?
Old 05-04-2024, 04:30 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 101 Posts

True but it’s a good review and he really likes the “sublime” ride, perfect for a road car. I’m getting excited for my June 🤞 delivery.
The following users liked this post:
JAM2 (05-05-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 05:46 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carcam
True but it’s a good review and he really likes the “sublime” ride, perfect for a road car. I’m getting excited for my June 🤞 delivery.
Your avatar picture shows a 911, first 718?
Old 05-04-2024, 07:30 PM
carouselcarousel
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,
I have my Spyder RS since September.5600+ km, 3 trackdays and just got over the 1st set of tires (Dunlop Race maxx 2).
So why I'm here is I'm not that satisfied with the front end grip(on track), there is plenty of understeer when you're not on the throttle completely.
Is there anyone who have a proper alignment for the Spyder RS? (like -2 front camber and 1,5 rear? toe? )
Also is there anyone who know a solution for the 4point harness? I see a fresh youtube video where a guy use a 4 point harness.

Reference video with 4 point harness and proper alignment. (I've asked the youtuber to share some data on the alignment or the 4point harness but he didn't wanted to help)

Last edited by carouselcarousel; 05-04-2024 at 07:32 PM. Reason: missing word
Old 05-04-2024, 07:46 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carouselcarousel
Hello everyone,
I have my Spyder RS since September.5600+ km, 3 trackdays and just got over the 1st set of tires (Dunlop Race maxx 2).
So why I'm here is I'm not that satisfied with the front end grip(on track), there is plenty of understeer when you're not on the throttle completely.
Is there anyone who have a proper alignment for the Spyder RS? (like -2 front camber and 1,5 rear? toe? )
Also is there anyone who know a solution for the 4point harness? I see a fresh youtube video where a guy use a 4 point harness.

Reference video with 4 point harness and proper alignment. (I've asked the youtuber to share some data on the alignment or the 4point harness but he didn't wanted to help)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jl1...hannel=xthilox
Welcome to Rennlist!

You will get a lot of number thrown at you for both camber and toe for the Spyder Rs (or the Spyder), it really depends on how aggressive you drive and how deep your pockets are for tires. The other question is if you are staying with the OEM wheels and offsets or going aftermarket.

I ran -2.5 front and -2 rear but that requires some parts, the stock suspension can't get there, at a minimum a different LCA or camber plates up front and rear toe links. This was very good on the track but hard on tires unless you are aggressive and don't do many highway miles.

This is the thread you need to read over, there is a lot of information here: GT Car Alignment Specs - Share your set-up / knowledge - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
The following 2 users liked this post by Westcoast:
carouselcarousel (05-04-2024), McClown (05-05-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 08:17 PM
newalbanyohio
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 34 Posts

This is new, well done.

Old 05-04-2024, 08:27 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 254 Posts

he does a good job, I don't know whats keeping him from taking off and having more subscribers, maybe its the videography...then guys like JWW have 4x as many..
Old 05-04-2024, 09:08 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,782 Likes on 2,134 Posts

Hello everyone,

You likely have more Spyder RS experience than anyone on RL.

Don’t think we’ve seen a single Spyder RS Track Thread yet.

Probably scan the GT4RS Track Set-Up thread for some hints, understanding some dampening differences.

Report back

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...ack-setup.html

carouselcarousel (05-04-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 06:12 AM
Odin
Racer

Received 474 Likes on 196 Posts

I met an SRS owner at a track the other week and he had decided to sell his SRS as it didn’t fit his use case. Firstly he had hoped it would be like his 991.2 GT3RS just without a roof, but it wasn’t. Not a track car, not an autobahn missile, only proper use case was for trips through the alps, and he couldn’t swing that more than 1-2 times a year so he decided to sell it after 2 weeks of owning it and just stick with the 991 for all uses. Can’t help but think he’d be better off with a GT4RS instead of the two.
Old 05-05-2024, 07:24 AM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

Received 198 Likes on 128 Posts

SRS is a daft use for a track car, so a wrong car for the job to moan about understeer. They made it soft so no amount of cambers and setup will ever make it a track car, it would need higher spring rates etc then you ruined what the car was for.

I can see why the above poster sold it, seems a 5th car in a fleet of cars for that summer go 3 times a year, then you have to think why bother and just get the flippers money out of it while there are still big overs.
Old 05-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,428 Likes on 2,518 Posts

Originally Posted by Odin
I met an SRS owner at a track the other week and he had decided to sell his SRS as it didn’t fit his use case. Firstly he had hoped it would be like his 991.2 GT3RS just without a roof, but it wasn’t. Not a track car, not an autobahn missile, only proper use case was for trips through the alps, and he couldn’t swing that more than 1-2 times a year so he decided to sell it after 2 weeks of owning it and just stick with the 991 for all uses. Can’t help but think he’d be better off with a GT4RS instead of the two.
I have a 991.2 3RS which I've tracked. I also got a 4RS which I've put ~300 miles on, haven't tracked it yet. The two cars have similar performance capability, but are quite different in their personalities. For me, the 3RS is the better car overall, and by a substantial margin.
DK7 (05-05-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 09:56 AM
carouselcarousel
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't get where did I told I want a track car from it. I have an NSX for track and I have a BAC Mono in scope. Why the heck would I want to make a track car from the SRS?
When you go few times on a track that doesn't mean you want a track car, also doesn't mean you're a racing driver and going after the last 0,1 sec.
Of course I moan about understeer because it's too much! The GT4RS owners also moan about understeer and the Spyder owners too. So?
The first two comment was consutructive and helpful (want to say thank you for Westocast and TXshaggy) but the last 2 is like ventilating opinion of the car and not helpful at all.
Old 05-05-2024, 12:07 PM
AWDman
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hello everyone,

Have you played around with pressures front to rear? Checked tire temperatures immediately off track? Might be some changes available there to help understeer without dialing in more neg camber.

A more unconventional approach might be to run a grippier tire in front. I did do this a few times when I first started tracking many years ago, with a Mercedes C32 amg. Ran Michelin pilots in rear then trying yoke A048 in fronts, then hankook dot r compound. Basically turning car balance from massive understeer to oversteer. Eventually needed to dial in more camber as outside edges of fronts were being rubbed out quickly. Or, you might try to fit wider rubber in front but that might be tricky.

If concerned about safety you should run 5 or 6 point harness (anti submarining) but might need a different seat.
Old 05-05-2024, 12:11 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,428 Likes on 2,518 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDman
Have you played around with pressures front to rear? Checked tire temperatures immediately off track? Might be some changes available there to help understeer without dialing in more neg camber.

A more unconventional approach might be to run a grippier tire in front. I did do this a few times when I first started tracking many years ago, with a Mercedes C32 amg. Ran Michelin pilots in rear then trying yoke A048 in fronts, then hankook dot r compound. Basically turning car balance from massive understeer to oversteer. Eventually needed to dial in more camber as outside edges of fronts were being rubbed out quickly. Or, you might try to fit wider rubber in front but that might be tricky.

If concerned about safety you should run 5 or 6 point harness (anti submarining) but might need a different seat.
Or just try adjusting the sway bars.
Old 05-05-2024, 01:12 PM
AWDman
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Or just try adjusting the sway bars.
yes of course. If the SRS had adjustable dampers then that’s another way to change handling characteristics.

probably should have mentioned the biggest possible variant is driver inputs.

Quick Reply: Spyder RS driving/ownership impressions