Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder RS driving/ownership impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 06:58 AM
PorscheSince2013
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ISPYA718
In case you didn’t see this …. Not owners viewpoint but interesting none the less.

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-...-spyder/47850#
Does anyone have a version translated into English?
Old 05-06-2024, 11:21 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,769 Likes on 2,765 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheSince2013
Does anyone have a version translated into English?
That link in your post above took me directly to an English language article...
The following users liked this post:
ISPYA718 (05-06-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 07:14 PM
McClown
Instructor

Received 106 Likes on 50 Posts

Shaggy had a laugh at me posting in entirely the wrong forum thread. Serves me right for doing it late at night. Went page end and posted in the related thread at the foot of the page. Trap for new players.

Anyway, to the subject that I misposted -

I'm going to order an aftermarket set of floor mats for daily beater duties and put the originals away. Can one of you lovely people who has taken delivery confirm the colour of the carpet please? I can't tell from the photos whether its dark grey or black.
Old 05-06-2024, 10:34 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,907 Likes on 2,210 Posts

Originally Posted by McClown
Shaggy had a laugh at me posting in entirely the wrong forum thread. Serves me right for doing it late at night. Went page end and posted in the related thread at the foot of the page. Trap for new players.

Anyway, to the subject that I misposted -

I'm going to order an aftermarket set of floor mats for daily beater duties and put the originals away. Can one of you lovely people who has taken delivery confirm the colour of the carpet please? I can't tell from the photos whether its dark grey or black.
Black.

I’d just use them, if you feel like they are getting worn $89 for a new set. These will match and snap in

I put 17,000 miles on the slightly more expensive deviated stitch ones which were around $129 and they looked great when I traded the car in.

Anyway, easy and cheap to replace.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUR981MAT.html

Old 05-07-2024, 01:18 AM
McClown
Instructor

Received 106 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Black.

I’d just use them, if you feel like they are getting worn $89 for a new set. These will match and snap in

I put 17,000 miles on the slightly more expensive deviated stitch ones which were around $129 and they looked great when I traded the car in.

Anyway, easy and cheap to replace.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUR981MAT.html
Many thanks Shaggy. They are about AUD$200 (or USD$0.50c LOL) over here, so I thought I would grab a set from a local company, Rubbertree. They made a great set for me from supplied paper templates (with an extended tail on the passenger side to better protect the tub) to go in the 675LT. Mind you, you don't want to know how much the OEM replacements were for that
TXshaggy (05-07-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 04:15 AM
aus
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have 148 miles on the Spyder RS after trading in a manual GT4. The ride stiffness is pretty similar. Driving feel is also similar for now since I'm doing the break in miles still.
The engine revs 1,000 RPM higher than in the GT4 for similar speeds. The PDK is TERRIBLE, IMO. I also have a 2011 M3 DCT for comparison and it's not perfect but much smoother for daily driving.
The PDK stalled on me the other day after backing out of the garage and going forward. I was SHOCKED. It almost stalls regularly as you're slowing down at a light and I'm not driving it hard.
It races up the gears as your making a turn so that by the time I'm done turning, it has you in 3rd or 4th gear already. I tried it in sport mode but it's too aggressive for the street.
The PDK feels pissed off I'm driving it like a grandma but this car will get to go to jail speeds VERY quickly.
It's ironic because the gearing was too tall on the GT4 and this one tries it's best to get in the highest gear it can if left in auto.
Another surprise was the brake pads. The GT4 was almost dangerous on the first stop of the day when it's could outside- they were ok after 1-2 stops and you got some heat in them.
The Spyder RS pads bite nicely right away. Both had steel brakes.
The top is a bit challenging but I'm getting the hang of it. I like it in the bikini mode but you need to push the top out when you close the windows.
The intake sound is SICK. I have OAP's on the GT4 and they helped the drone a lot and gave a little sound improvement too. I mainly hear intake sound for now during break in and it's lovely.

If it had a Manual and had a few more features, it would be a forever car for me.
I did not spec this car and it's a pretty base car with 18 way seats, which I'm ok with in a street car. But the buckets look amazing and were comfortable after the risers and adding some lumbar.
It's still likely to be a keeper but if a GT3 Touring in manual comes around..
I'm surprised I miss the manual as much as I do but hopefully I'll get over it..

Last edited by aus; 05-07-2024 at 02:29 PM.
McClown (05-07-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 10:11 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,568 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Originally Posted by aus
I have 148 miles on the Spyder RS after trading in a manual GT4. The ride stiffness is pretty similar. Driving feel is also similar for now since I'm doing the break in miles still.
The engine revs 1,000 RPM higher than in the GT4 for similar speeds. The PDK is TERRIBLE, IMO. I also have a 2011 M3 DCT for comparison and it's not perfect but much smoother for daily driving.
The PDK stalled on me the other day after backing out of the garage and going forward. I was SHOCKED. It almost stalls regularly as you're slowing down at a light and I'm not driving it hard.
It races up the gears as your making a turn so that by the time I'm done turning, it has you in 3rd or 4th gear already. I tried it in sport mode but it's too aggressive for the street.
The PDK feels pissed off I'm driving it like a grandma but this car will get to go to jail speeds VERY quickly.
It's ironic because the gearing was too tall on the GT4 and this one tries it's best to get in the highest gear it can if left in auto.

Another surprise was the brake pads. The GT4 was almost dangerous on the first stop of the day when it's could outside- they were ok after 1-2 stops and you got some heat in them.
The Spyder RS pads bite nicely right away. Both had steel brakes.
The top is a bit challenging but I'm getting the hang of it. I like it in the bikini mode but you need to push the top out when you close the windows.
The intake sound is SICK. I have OAP's on the GT4 and they helped the drone a lot and gave a little sound improvement too. I mainly hear intake sound for now during break in and it's lovely.

If it had a Manual and had a few more features, it would be a forever car for me.
I did not spec this car and it's a pretty base car with 18 way seats, which I'm ok with in a street car. But the buckets look amazing and were comfortable after the risers and adding some lumbar.
It's still likely to be a keeper but if a GT3 Touring in manual comes around..
I'm surprised I miss the manual as much as I do but hopefully I'll get over it..
I have a 4RS, which should have the same drivetrain as the SRS.

Your PDK should not be stalling. I think there's a defect and you need to get that fixed.

If you prefer manual, just use the paddles. That's what I do. I use auto mode only when I'm in traffic or trying to get from A to B and not trying to enjoy the car.

I also have an E93 M3 DCT and I agree that the transmission is really good, IMO as good as anything Porsche offers.
aus (05-07-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 02:31 PM
aus
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Add some pics.

Originally Posted by Manifold
I have a 4RS, which should have the same drivetrain as the SRS.

Your PDK should not be stalling. I think there's a defect and you need to get that fixed.

If you prefer manual, just use the paddles. That's what I do. I use auto mode only when I'm in traffic or trying to get from A to B and not trying to enjoy the car.

I also have an E93 M3 DCT and I agree that the transmission is really good, IMO as good as anything Porsche offers.
Thanks for the heads up on the PDK. I wasn't sure if that's just how it runs.
I've definitely been driving more in manual mode.
Old 05-07-2024, 02:45 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 559 Likes on 317 Posts

PDK in general is an automated manual and behaves more or less like a manual transmission, and it has been refined to mimic the way an automatic transmission behaves on non-GT cars.

PDK on RS cars is a very aggressive variant that exhibits significant slipping of the clutch at low speeds, especially in reverse. The transmission behaves like a manual transmission. Anyone who doesn’t know how (in the proper manner) to drive a manual transmission may have trouble with PDK on RS. That is not to say anyone here who has commented falls into that category.

Reverse is a motherf*cker. Be careful in reverse and definitely don’t allow any custodians of the car to utilize reverse unless they’ve been instructed. One and a half seconds on throttle, two seconds off throttle while in reverse. Sitting on the throttle in reverse will contribute to roasting the thing and causing premature wear. Similar to the Ferrari 355F1 in reverse. Throttle, off, car moves; throttle, off, car moves; repeat. On a steep incline in reverse? Forget it. Outside operators such as valet parking personnel, dealer personnel — these are the people who ought to know more than they know in terms of how to care for these delicate pieces of machinery, and they (as well as unsuspecting owners) can kill a clutch on automated manuals in a hurry.

During break-in, I utilize manual mode almost exclusively. I decide when the gears are shifted, and I don’t allow an RPM that’s too low (generally, I try to stay above 2500 or 3k. And during break-in especially, I do not allow my car to shift down through all the gears as I approach a red light or a stop sign. (Nor do I allow aggressive downshifts or kickdowns, which can only happen in automatic mode, which I don’t utilize). When slowing down, as the RPMs fall in, say, 4th gear down to around 2,000, I pull both paddle shifters back and hold them; the car is now in neutral; I hold them until the car comes to a complete stop. Car has no chance to stall here. When it needs to calculate its own downshifting when approaching a stop or a light, yes an RS car could stall, even though it’s an unbecoming characteristic.

Also, I utilize neutral after reverse and hesitate at a complete stop before engaging drive.

Just a few tidbit special techniques I like to employ to treat the transmission very nicely when new and during its service life. I implemented this also with my C8 Corvette Z06 recently, and it worked out well.

Last edited by 348SStb; 05-07-2024 at 02:49 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by 348SStb:
aus (05-07-2024), Drifting (05-12-2024), hk43 (05-07-2024), McClown (05-07-2024), newalbanyohio (05-08-2024), rwm (05-13-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-07-2024, 03:10 PM
alcc
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 348SStb
PDK in general is an automated manual and behaves more or less like a manual transmission, and it has been refined to mimic the way an automatic transmission behaves on non-GT cars.

PDK on RS cars is a very aggressive variant that exhibits significant slipping of the clutch at low speeds, especially in reverse. The transmission behaves like a manual transmission. Anyone who doesn’t know how (in the proper manner) to drive a manual transmission may have trouble with PDK on RS. That is not to say anyone here who has commented falls into that category.

Reverse is a motherf*cker. Be careful in reverse and definitely don’t allow any custodians of the car to utilize reverse unless they’ve been instructed. One and a half seconds on throttle, two seconds off throttle while in reverse. Sitting on the throttle in reverse will contribute to roasting the thing and causing premature wear. Similar to the Ferrari 355F1 in reverse. Throttle, off, car moves; throttle, off, car moves; repeat. On a steep incline in reverse? Forget it. Outside operators such as valet parking personnel, dealer personnel — these are the people who ought to know more than they know in terms of how to care for these delicate pieces of machinery, and they (as well as unsuspecting owners) can kill a clutch on automated manuals in a hurry.

During break-in, I utilize manual mode almost exclusively. I decide when the gears are shifted, and I don’t allow an RPM that’s too low (generally, I try to stay above 2500 or 3k. And during break-in especially, I do not allow my car to shift down through all the gears as I approach a red light or a stop sign. (Nor do I allow aggressive downshifts or kickdowns, which can only happen in automatic mode, which I don’t utilize). When slowing down, as the RPMs fall in, say, 4th gear down to around 2,000, I pull both paddle shifters back and hold them; the car is now in neutral; I hold them until the car comes to a complete stop. Car has no chance to stall here. When it needs to calculate its own downshifting when approaching a stop or a light, yes an RS car could stall, even though it’s an unbecoming characteristic.

Also, I utilize neutral after reverse and hesitate at a complete stop before engaging drive.

Just a few tidbit special techniques I like to employ to treat the transmission very nicely when new and during its service life. I implemented this also with my C8 Corvette Z06 recently, and it worked out well.
Are you sure? I am familiar with your on/off maneuver, which I use in my F430 F1 (single dry clutch) to avoid clutch slip (= expensive clutch replacement.) So, by habit I also avoid light throttle on PDK -- just in case. However, PDK, like all DCTs, is supposed to use a wet clutch, which should minimize wear on slips.

I only drive my 4RS in M mode. It's never stalled once over 12 months. But PDK is clunky coming to a stop. I brake, downshift to 2nd, then pull and hold both paddles to replicate manual declutching. Still, it clunks, but not always, which makes it even more annoying. The display flashes 2 till the car is almost to a stop as PDK tries to hang in 2nd. Only way to avoid clunking is to downshift to 1st.

Last edited by alcc; 05-07-2024 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-07-2024, 04:29 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 559 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by alcc
Are you sure? I am familiar with your on/off maneuver, which I use in my F430 F1 (single dry clutch) to avoid clutch slip (= expensive clutch replacement.) So, by habit I also avoid light throttle on PDK -- just in case. However, PDK, like all DCTs, is supposed to use a wet clutch, which should minimize wear on slips.

I only drive my 4RS in M mode. It's never stalled once over 12 months. But PDK is clunky coming to a stop. I brake, downshift to 2nd, then pull and hold both paddles to replicate manual declutching. Still, it clunks, but not always, which makes it even more annoying. The display flashes 2 till rpm drops to near idle as PDK tries to hang in 2nd. Only way to avoid clunking is to downshift to 1st.
@alcc

You know what - I stand corrected about the clutch… thank you. I wasn’t thinking right there — yes it’s a wet clutch. I still wouldn’t sit on the throttle in reverse and test the limits of the wet clutch.

The 430 is a great car. I had one (6-speed), and naturally I regret selling it. I had 4 different 355s; two of them were F1, and I learned all the idiosyncrasies of automated manual on those cars.
Old 05-07-2024, 04:51 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 457 Likes on 253 Posts

While I can understand it's an automated manual, I wouldn't expect the PDK to stall the car. Not once in 9 years did I stall my 991 GT3, in reverse, auto drive, manual, etc. I would not expect stalling the SRS, GT4RS or any other PDK plus GT car would be normal.
Old 05-07-2024, 11:18 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 175 Posts

My 718 Spyder is the first car I've bought in decades that doesn't have a clutch pedal. I find it amusing that I've stalled it at least twice that I can remember. Probably 3 or 4 times. The worst part is that if I stalled one of my earlier Porsches, when you put the clutch in it would automatically fire the motor back up and you'd be good to go. With the PDK, you have to put it in park and then turn it off and restart it from scratch. It's ludicrous that it doesn't just fire itself up when you hold and then release the brake. Every time I've stalled it, it was because it was about to turn itself off with auto-start-stop when I decided to go so I started to get on the gas just as the revs were dropping and it started engaging it's clutch and didn't have enough power and just died. I'm now in the habit of pressing the button to turn that feature off every time I drive.
McClown (05-07-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 09:48 AM
carswithnoah
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 29 Posts

If you are reading this waiting for your Spyder RS to come in, I have bad news. You will probably be stuck with it for a while. I am 100 miles in and already loving every second of ownership! If anyone has any questions or anything, or would like to read a full explanation of my first impressions I can attempt to put into words.
The following 6 users liked this post by carswithnoah:
Emsworth (05-08-2024), Jay Cordeiro (05-08-2024), JPMD (05-08-2024), McClown (05-08-2024), n4v4nod (05-08-2024), UncleDude (05-08-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-08-2024, 09:51 AM
Holdens
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 144 Posts

congrats on RS!

Would love to hear first impressions also would like to know how it compares to other GT cars you have owned / driven.

Originally Posted by carswithnoah

If you are reading this waiting for your Spyder RS to come in, I have bad news. You will probably be stuck with it for a while. I am 100 miles in and already loving every second of ownership! If anyone has any questions or anything, or would like to read a full explanation of my first impressions I can attempt to put into words.
The following 3 users liked this post by Holdens:
carswithnoah (05-08-2024), GTSPYDER23 (05-08-2024), newalbanyohio (05-08-2024)

Quick Reply: Spyder RS driving/ownership impressions