Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 12:09 AM
alcc
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Ok, I fixed the tire pressure and drove the car two more times today, with the wife in the right seat, adding another 60 miles. So we have 150 mile on the odometer the first day and the car already needs a wash.

Further impressions:

- The car is quiet when off the throttle and lower revs. But I still say it's loud when heavier on the throttle. Sounds great when you're in the mood for loud, would be nice if there was a volume control when not in that mood. But this is clearly a design feature of the car, take it or leave it.

- The handling is better with correct tire pressures, and the grip is quite high. Too high for road use? Hard to approach the limit without going very fast.

- The shifting is really fast - faster than the 992 GT3 - accented by the accompanying percussive sounds.

- Ride quality is quite good. I don't understand that complaint at all. On smoother roads, I preferred the firmer damper setting, because it controls the body motion better.

- I still say the car lacks some mid-range punch, feels about 10-15% less than I'd expect. But it's really not a big deal, the car is fast overall.

- The brake feel with the PCCBs is excellent, and the car feels very stable when trailbraking (but I haven't attempted to enter corners truly near the limit).

- The car 'wiggles' in corners more than a GT3/RS, definitely still a Cayman.

Overall, I think it's a really excellent car, and I'm really enjoying driving it, but best suited for skilled drivers who'll drive it aggressively on the road or track. If I had pick either a 4RS, 992 GT3, or 991.2 3RS as a road-only car, the 4RS would definitely be a contender to be the one. They all have their own strengths and personalities.

I think Porsche could only make a car like this as the last ICE Cayman. They couldn't have made it sooner, because then every other Cayman that came after might seem too tepid.
Agree again: I leave PASM on firm for better body motion control. Note: our roads are generally pretty good. PCCBs feel is indeed excellent. I do think grip is a bit too high for road use (on Cup2s.) Combined with slightly slow steering, makes the car feel a bit inert -- heavy footed.

Did you get mag wheels?

Overall, car does feel special, unique -- midrange torque notwithstanding :-)

Old 05-01-2024, 12:27 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by 168glhs1986
When I got mine, I liked it...the more I spent time with it the more I grew to love it. Now I can't imagine having a garage without it. Funny how this thing just flipped the script on me.

Also how are you comparing mid range punch already at 150 miles lol. Are you WOT already. Any plans to change the exhaust to get back that mid range punch?
I'm definitely in this camp. Initially, the loudness was a big concern as was the low gearing. The more I drive the car, the more I get acclimated to it and the more I enjoy it. I go back and forth every weekend now between the GT2/GT4RS and it's becoming very tough to choose. Good part is, either way, I win! (I know; first world problem for sure).
The following 5 users liked this post by ChrisF:
GT4inOC (05-01-2024), Manifold (05-01-2024), Mike981S (06-03-2024), phoenx_10 (05-01-2024), TOporschefan (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 12:34 AM
TOporschefan
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 74 Posts

Ok, I fixed the tire pressure and drove the car two more times today, with the wife in the right seat, adding another 60 miles. So we have 150 mile on the odometer the first day and the car already needs a wash.

Further impressions:

- The car is quiet when off the throttle and lower revs. But I still say it's loud when heavier on the throttle. Sounds great when you're in the mood for loud, would be nice if there was a volume control when not in that mood. But this is clearly a design feature of the car, take it or leave it.

- The handling is better with correct tire pressures, and the grip is quite high. Too high for road use? Hard to approach the limit without going very fast.

- The shifting is really fast - faster than the 992 GT3 - accented by the accompanying percussive sounds.

- Ride quality is quite good. I don't understand that complaint at all. On smoother roads, I preferred the firmer damper setting, because it controls the body motion better.

- I still say the car lacks some mid-range punch, feels about 10-15% less than I'd expect. But it's really not a big deal, the car is fast overall.

- The brake feel with the PCCBs is excellent, and the car feels very stable when trailbraking (but I haven't attempted to enter corners truly near the limit).

- The car 'wiggles' in corners more than a GT3/RS, definitely still a Cayman.

Overall, I think it's a really excellent car, and I'm really enjoying driving it, but best suited for skilled drivers who'll drive it aggressively on the road or track. If I had pick either a 4RS, 992 GT3, or 991.2 3RS as a road-only car, the 4RS would definitely be a contender to be the one. They all have their own strengths and personalities.

I think Porsche could only make a car like this as the last ICE Cayman. They couldn't have made it sooner, because then every other Cayman that came after might seem too tepid.
First of all congratulations on the delivery of your new 4RS!! I think the more you drive it the more you will love it. Definitely an occasion car and it does a great job at delivering that. IF you drive it with sport exhaust off and normal pdk mode it is quite docile. You want to get on the throttle you will hear it for sure....like we said each car has its advantages and disadvantages. As an overall package I really love the 4RS!

Last edited by TOporschefan; 05-01-2024 at 12:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TOporschefan:
Manifold (05-01-2024), Mike981S (06-03-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 12:56 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,263 Likes on 2,434 Posts

Originally Posted by alcc
Agree again: I leave PASM on firm for better body motion control. Note: our roads are generally pretty good. PCCBs feel is indeed excellent. I do think grip is a bit too high for road use (on Cup2s.) Combined with slightly slow steering, makes the car feel a bit inert -- heavy footed.

Did you get mag wheels?

Overall, car does feel special, unique -- midrange torque notwithstanding :-)
Interesting that you mention that, I do feel that, it's a sort of insulated feeling and the car doesn't feel quite as light as it should based on the weight. I have somewhat the same feeling with the 992 GT3. OTOH, the 991.2 3RS feels light, sharp, and connected. The Cayman R also feels quite light, but not in the same performance class as these other cars.

I didn't get the mag wheels - quite expensive, and I thought probably too delicate for track use. Plus, I like the look of the regular wheels better.

Agree that the car feels special and unique. I think it will go down as one of the Porsche greats.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
jabwind51 (05-10-2024), Mike981S (06-03-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 01:01 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisF
I'm definitely in this camp. Initially, the loudness was a big concern as was the low gearing. The more I drive the car, the more I get acclimated to it and the more I enjoy it. I go back and forth every weekend now between the GT2/GT4RS and it's becoming very tough to choose. Good part is, either way, I win! (I know; first world problem for sure).
For me, I don't find it too loud in the sense that I can't tolerate it, it's more just a matter of preference. But I think you're right: if you go into it expecting it to sound as it does, it won't seem as loud, it will sound 'right'. I like to listen to all sorts of music, and at different volume levels, and I like my cars to also sound different from each other. The 4RS soundtrack for me is sort of like Van Halen: raucous, lots of fireworks, entertaining, meant to be played relatively loud, but not out of control.
Old 05-01-2024, 01:04 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TOporschefan
First of all congratulations on the delivery of your new 4RS!! I think the more you drive it the more you will love it. Definitely an occasion car and it does a great job at delivering that. IF you drive it with sport exhaust off and normal pdk mode it is quite docile. You want to get on the throttle you will hear it for sure....like we said each car has its advantages and disadvantages. As an overall package I really love the 4RS!
Thanks!

I didn't notice much difference in sound level with sport exhaust on versus off, but I definitely did in my friend's 4RS. I'll play around with that more tomorrow. Who knows, maybe I'll find that it's stuck in loud mode.
Old 05-01-2024, 05:02 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

I have mags the turn in is fast imo esp with those LCA monoballed there is no play, but you are saving 21lbs of rotation mass. Again I don;t agree with some posters having had 18 porkers the steering and feel is great much better than my 991.2 Gt3 which I also monoball.
unless MAGS do really make the car feel so much better.

iguess if you compare it to a 992 GT car then not so fast but vs a 991.2 or GT4 the 4rS has much faster steering response and more feel dead centre.

As for WOT on 150 miles, one must be mad, these engines need running in right other wise you will be topping up oil 1l every week !

I think alcc has a dud one "Combined with slightly slow steering, makes the car feel a bit inert -- heavy footed" never read so much rubbish, please sell it.
"
The following users liked this post:
Odin (05-10-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 05:07 AM
7184RS
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
I have mags the turn in is fast imo esp with those LCA monoballed there is no play, but you are saving 21lbs of rotation mass. Again I don;t agree with some posters having had 18 porkers the steering and feel is great much better than my 991.2 Gt3 which I also monoball.

iguess if you compare it to a 992 GT car then not so fast but vs a 991.2 or GT4 the 4rS has much faster steering response and more feel dead centre.

As for WOT on 150 miles, one must be mad, these engines need running in right other wise you will be topping up oil 1l every week !

I think alcc has a dud one "Combined with slightly slow steering, makes the car feel a bit inert -- heavy footed" never read so much rubbish, please sell it.
"
100%, WOT is not at all a good idea during break-in
The following users liked this post:
mrd_spy (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 06:15 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Thanks!

I didn't notice much difference in sound level with sport exhaust on versus off, but I definitely did in my friend's 4RS. I'll play around with that more tomorrow. Who knows, maybe I'll find that it's stuck in loud mode.
its the drone at 3/4k revs it goes when valves are closed.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:57 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrd_spy

"
Originally Posted by 7184RS
100%, WOT is not at all a good idea during break-in
Explain. The break-in guidelines are about the rpms, not the amount of throttle. I'm lifting or upshifting before I get to 7k rpm, and staying at low revs until the engine is warm. What's the issue with full throttle if rpms are kept under 7k? Where is that guidance from Porsche? I'm rigorously following the break in guidance in the owner's manual.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:03 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,740 Likes on 877 Posts

Explain. The break-in guidelines are about the rpms, not the amount of throttle. I'm lifting or upshifting before I get to 7k rpm, and staying at low revs until the engine is warm. What's the issue with full throttle if rpms are kept under 7k? Where is that guidance from Porsche? I'm rigorously following the break in guidance in the owner's manual.
You're correct, less than 7k is in the owners manual.
I tried to follow this guideline until 932 miles, but kept at below 7k until the 932. Who knows what's the perfect practice. Enjoy the car!

Last edited by Ksdaoski; 05-01-2024 at 11:04 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ksdaoski:
Airbag997 (05-01-2024), lovetoturn (05-01-2024), Mike981S (06-03-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 11:25 AM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 259 Posts

I don't understand the WOT concern either. Unless there is a slew-rate constraint, which doesn't make much sense as long as oil temps are nominal...
Old 05-01-2024, 11:32 AM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 259 Posts

IMO proper break-in is more about sufficient number of "full" heat cycles coupled with frequent varying of the dynamic range of RPM'S as much as practical over the recommended mileage.
The following 2 users liked this post by Airbag997:
lovetoturn (05-01-2024), TheBucketOfTruth (05-08-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 12:14 PM
Spyder75
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by alcc
Not a surprise. We agree on all fronts: ride is firm but rounded, car is loud, midrange is lacking, size is great.
When I first drove mine initial impressions were the same about midrange compared to 991.2 3rs. When you have it run in and can use full rev range you’ll see it gives nothing away to 992 or 991.2 3 or 3rs. Every bit as quick.
Old 05-01-2024, 12:16 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I know enough to know that I should just follow the break-in guidance in the owner’s manual, and am not qualified to override or supplement that. There are too many opinions out there on this topic, often expressed with confidence by people who don’t design Porsche engines or engines in general.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
Odin (05-10-2024), rwm (05-10-2024)

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Driving Impressions