Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 12:06 AM
TOporschefan
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Taffy66
The 992GT3 especially a Manual is so different to a 4RS in the way they drive that it makes no sense to compare them using the same parameters. Ideally you would have both in the garage and just drive the one depending on what mood you're in on that particular day. A 992GT3 Touring Manual makes a perfect pairing with a 4RS imo.
Could not agree more with this comment....these cars are complimentary if anything.
Old 04-27-2024, 12:09 AM
TOporschefan
Racer

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
for what reason ?, it's not like it's a great road car ! the Touring, it's still bouncy, hard as nails and you have to swap it out on road tyres but it will still tram line and make tons of tyre noise ! , then whats the point any way. not sure why people want to own more than one GT car. I would under stand if you said 992 Turbo S and a 4RS or a GTS etc. But owning a touring and a 4RS no thanks.
I have 4 atm but all different. I daily a GTS, I have a 997 for slower fun and it's just cool, I have my Spyder for sunny days(so it never gets used) and the 4RS for track and blats. A touring don't fit anywhere, it's also **** at touring , I would take my GTS ! very over rated cars esp as you pay more than a GT3 for one ! imho.
maybe you are just a bit softer than the rest of us What part of Gt3 do people not get when buying this car. Want softer there are many variants available of the 911.
Old 04-27-2024, 06:06 PM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by TOporschefan
maybe you are just a bit softer than the rest of us What part of Gt3 do people not get when buying this car. Want softer there are many variants available of the 911.
Its a touring, but it’s not, it’s a gt3 with no wing which seems a daft car imho.
Old 04-28-2024, 03:40 AM
7184RS
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
Its a touring, but it’s not, it’s a gt3 with no wing which seems a daft car imho.
+1...if you want a GT car...then buy a GT car ... You want something soft buy a Turbo, Targa or similar.
Not sure if the purpose of owning a touring is to say 'I have a GT car that it is not a GT car"
​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
mrd_spy (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 10:07 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,366 Likes on 2,485 Posts

The only thing wrong with the 992 GT3 Touring is that the suspension should have been softened to make it more road friendly. Otherwise, I understand the appeal of a NA car with 9k redline, option of 6-sp manual, sharp handling, and good rearward visibility due to lack of wing.

There's way too much "my car is clearly the best, other cars are clearly deficient" in Porsche world and here on RL. We should be glad there's such a variety of cars to choose from. It's all very subjective, and if someone likes a particular car, they're not wrong to like it. It's similarly not wrong to dislike a particular car, but it's wrong to keep saying it as though that's an objective truth rather than a subjective preference.

Getting back to the 4RS, my car has an issue with a headlight, so the dealer ordered a part and we can hopefully take delivery tomorrow. More and more, my wife seems to feel that the 4RS will be 'her' car, and she's excited about it. I'm ok with that, since that doesn't really limit my access to the car (at the track, we can and should swap cars).
The following 4 users liked this post by Manifold:
fasteddie99 (04-29-2024), manouk (04-28-2024), Mike981S (06-03-2024), TOporschefan (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 11:04 AM
David Diulus
2nd Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Best Track car

I have had 7 911s and including gt3s and 3rs. I think this is best handling track car outside of latest 3rs (in a league of its own). 4rs is amazing track machine much more race car than street car and faster than prior gt3 and 3rs. A joy to drive
The following 4 users liked this post by David Diulus:
keithpx33 (04-28-2024), Mike981S (06-03-2024), RDCR (04-28-2024), TOporschefan (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 11:17 AM
David Diulus
2nd Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Best Track car

I have had 7 911s and including gt3s and 3rs. I think this is best handling track car outside of latest 3rs (in a league of its own). 4rs is amazing track machine much more race car than street car and faster than prior gt3 and 3rs. A joy to drive
Old 04-28-2024, 04:40 PM
TOporschefan
Racer

Originally Posted by 7184RS
+1...if you want a GT car...then buy a GT car ... You want something soft buy a Turbo, Targa or similar.
Not sure if the purpose of owning a touring is to say 'I have a GT car that it is not a GT car"
​​​​​
For guys who want a gt3 experience without the show. Not that hard to understand..... like I said it's a GT3 what did people expect. Manifold I appreciate your comment about making a touch softer for the road use. That being said the glory of a 6spd/9000 with sharp handling and sleeper looks...sign me up all day long.

Last edited by TOporschefan; 04-28-2024 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-28-2024, 05:08 PM
7184RS
Instructor

For guys who want a gt3 experience without the show. Not that hard to understand..... like I said it's a GT3 what did people expect. Manifold I appreciate your comment about making a touch softer for the road use. That being said the glory of a 6spd/9000 with sharp handling and sleeper looks...sign me up all day long.
The "show" as you call it has a very important function ...it is not attrezzo, not difficult to understand..... Yes it is a GT3 ...a crippled one but a GT3 in the end.
Old 04-28-2024, 05:42 PM
keithpx33
Advanced

Received 115 Likes on 28 Posts

I sold my 992 GT3 Touring and am taking delivery of a GT4RS in a few weeks.

YMMV, but I just found the GT3 Touring to be too big for spirited backroad driving and not comfortable or quiet enough to use every day. I daily an RS6 to work and I like taking calls in a 5000lb V8 tank. I think the "Touring" is a bit of a strange label for a car that's as raw. On the other hand, it seems like the GT4RS knows what it is and what it's good for.

I'm sure many other people have different use cases and would prefer the GT3.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:52 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by keithpx33
I sold my 992 GT3 Touring and am taking delivery of a GT4RS in a few weeks.

YMMV, but I just found the GT3 Touring to be too big for spirited backroad driving and not comfortable or quiet enough to use every day. I daily an RS6 to work and I like taking calls in a 5000lb V8 tank. I think the "Touring" is a bit of a strange label for a car that's as raw. On the other hand, it seems like the GT4RS knows what it is and what it's good for.

I'm sure many other people have different use cases and would prefer the GT3.
agree on the 992 GT3. They’re getting too big. Great at track or cars/coffee, but not for everything else.

4RS/SRS are best for backroads fun. I can’t wait to drive my Spyder RS this summer!

and I agree on a quiet AWD four door sport sedan as the daily.
My BMW M440i gran coupe is quiet, powerful, and has space for people and cargo, in a similar role as your RS6.

Last edited by Drifting; 04-28-2024 at 07:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
keithpx33 (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 10:09 PM
TOporschefan
Racer

Originally Posted by 7184RS
The "show" as you call it has a very important function ...it is not attrezzo, not difficult to understand..... Yes it is a GT3 ...a crippled one but a GT3 in the end.
I think the winged version is a great car and likely a better track machine with the greater aero....I don't think I will need that on the back roads and occasional track event. Each person has their own use case you are having an issue comprehending that. I respect peoples choice either touring or winged version. At the end of the day they are both Gt3's not that confusing.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:22 PM
alcc
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
The only thing wrong with the 992 GT3 Touring is that the suspension should have been softened to make it more road friendly. Otherwise, I understand the appeal of a NA car with 9k redline, option of 6-sp manual, sharp handling, and good rearward visibility due to lack of wing.

There's way too much "my car is clearly the best, other cars are clearly deficient" in Porsche world and here on RL. We should be glad there's such a variety of cars to choose from. It's all very subjective, and if someone likes a particular car, they're not wrong to like it. It's similarly not wrong to dislike a particular car, but it's wrong to keep saying it as though that's an objective truth rather than a subjective preference.

Getting back to the 4RS, my car has an issue with a headlight, so the dealer ordered a part and we can hopefully take delivery tomorrow. More and more, my wife seems to feel that the 4RS will be 'her' car, and she's excited about it. I'm ok with that, since that doesn't really limit my access to the car (at the track, we can and should swap cars).
Can't wait to hear your impressions once you've lived with your 4RS for a bit. Be sure to test out the midrange torque :-))

This internecine sniping among Porsche owners is indeed peculiar. I've never seen this among F-car enthusiasts. We do not look down on or put down "lesser" models (Cayman? Sniff.) We appreciate every model from every generation, warts and all. We wave at each other with a smile. I've waved at passing Porsches; few ever wave back.

Come to think of it, maybe that's the difference. F-car owners know our cars are all "characters". We know none of them are perfect. In fact, we commiserate about flaws and foibles even as we celebrate their "magic." P-car owners otoh think our cars need to be perfect. Hence no criticism permitted or accepted.

The following 3 users liked this post by alcc:
fasteddie99 (04-29-2024), jyu0 (04-28-2024), Manifold (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 11:26 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by alcc
Can't wait to hear your impressions once you've lived with your 4RS for a bit. Be sure to test out the midrange torque :-))

This internecine sniping among Porsche owners is indeed peculiar. I've never seen this among F-car enthusiasts. We do not look down on or put down "lesser" models (Cayman? Sniff.) We appreciate every model from every generation, warts and all. We wave at each other with a smile. I've waved at passing Porsches; few ever wave back.

Come to think of it, maybe that's the difference. F-car owners know our cars are all "characters". We know none of them are perfect. In fact, we commiserate about flaws and foibles even as we celebrate their "magic." P-car owners otoh think our cars need to be perfect. Hence no criticism permitted or accepted.
I lurked around FerrariChat a few years ago when I was looking for a nice 430 and/or a 458. I remember the same level of banter I see around here. The thing that eventually steered me away from F-cars is you rarely see any being tracked so in that respect you are right, they are far from being perfect.
Old 04-29-2024, 03:56 AM
7184RS
Instructor

I think the winged version is a great car and likely a better track machine with the greater aero....I don't think I will need that on the back roads and occasional track event. Each person has their own use case you are having an issue comprehending that. I respect peoples choice either touring or winged version. At the end of the day they are both Gt3's not that confusing.
100%, it is everyone's choice and it is respectable. To me, without aero it is not a GT3 although it has the badge, it is a crippled GT3 Porsche put together to sell more cars...

Last edited by 7184RS; 04-29-2024 at 12:52 PM.

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Driving Impressions