Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 01:41 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,366 Likes on 2,485 Posts

Third day of ownership, took it for a 30-mile drive this morning, 230 miles on the odometer. Some impressions from today:

- The car is definitely loud, but I'm getting used to it. When driven with spirited intent, the soundtrack is enjoyable, and it's cool how the sound character varies with both the revs and the amount of throttle. I think the soundtrack is the main feature of this car; if it sounded just like the GT3, the two cars would be perceived as being a lot more similar.

- I still think the car lacks a bit of mid range punch, but it's fast overall.

- The steering wheel turns the car well and is intuitive, but there isn't really a lot of feel through the steering wheel. Hard to describe, but there's a bit of 'rubbery' vagueness to it, which I think is related to the car feeling heavier than it actually is.

- After a spirited drive, there's a lot of hot air blown on the rear tires. That would explain why my rear tire pressure is increasing more than the front. This seems less than ideal for track use.

My 22-yo daughter saw the car for the first time this morning and she rode with me. Her observations from the passenger seat:

- The car is like a monster, a tiger in pursuit of prey. Very aggressive demeanor.

- The acceleration is less than she expected relative to the sounds the car makes.

- It's fast and stable in the corners.

My comments should be taken in the context that I've become someone who probably would no longer buy a Porsche GT for road-only use. I feel like the cars are really designed for the track, and for the road, there are other cars I like more, such as my McLaren 570, 992 TTS, E93 M3 convertible, and Cayman R. I'm not suggesting that my POV is 'right' in any way; it's all subjective, and I can totally understand that someone may consider the 4RS to be ultimate road car for them.
Old 05-02-2024, 01:53 PM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 122 Posts

I would never drive my 4RS daily, be horrible. the cars are bloody fast really we need to takea look at what these can do vs a super car 10 years a go. , you need to get it run in and up the revs. 0-100mph is 6.7 seconds, that's a fast car for a none turbo imo, daily well 812GTS would work , I have been looking at 296 GTB's myself.
peak torques at 6750rpm ! I am sick to death of this mid range toque chatter :-) you have a CUP race engine in a road car. I would never WOT the 4RS in the midrange so I don't see what you see, why would any one even drive like that ? lol

Last edited by mrd_spy; 05-02-2024 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-02-2024, 01:59 PM
7184RS
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 42 Posts

Glad that Porsche launched a non-compliant road car. (That is why I bought it ). Raw, thrilling and visceral, the reason why I never bought a GT3 (not even mention a TT) is because they are damn fast "thillingless" sofas with wheels.
This GT4 RS will be the last of a kind
The following 4 users liked this post by 7184RS:
GT4RSYMPHONY (05-02-2024), jabwind51 (05-10-2024), Last_935 (05-03-2024), mrd_spy (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 02:03 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
I would never drive my 4RS daily, be horrible. the cars are bloody fast really we need to takea look at what these can do vs a super car 10 years a go. , you need to get it run in and up the revs. 0-100mph is 6.7 seconds, that's a fast car for a none turbo imo, daily well 812GTS would work , I have been looking at 296 GTB's myself.
peak torques at 6750rpm ! I am sick to death of this mid range toque chatter :-) you have a CUP race engine in a road car.
I think I could daily the car.

Agree that these cars are somewhat fast for the road, but I actually prefer a 911 Turbo S for that reason. With a GT car, you don't have a lot of torque until the car is wound up, so there's not much easily accessed acceleration in straights unless you keep the car in lower gears and make it scream, so you may compensate by carrying to much speed into and through corners where you have lack of sight distance. With something like a Turbo S, you can get your kicks in straights and corner entry where you have sight distance, then slow it down in corners.
Old 05-02-2024, 02:40 PM
GT4RSYMPHONY
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
peak torques at 6750rpm ! I am sick to death of this mid range toque chatter :-) you have a CUP race engine in a road car. I would never WOT the 4RS in the midrange so I don't see what you see, why would any one even drive like that ? lol
6.7 to 100 is seriously cooking. That’s a GTI to 60
Old 05-02-2024, 03:59 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 7184RS
Glad that Porsche launched a non-compliant road car. (That is why I bought it ). Raw, thrilling and visceral, the reason why I never bought a GT3 (not even mention a TT) is because they are damn fast "thillingless" sofas with wheels.
This GT4 RS will be the last of a kind
I drove my 992 GT3 today, so that I could compare it with 4RS the same day. I expected that I'd enjoy the cars about equally, and was surprised to find that I enjoyed the GT3 more. That's for today, and it could be different tomorrow.

Some comparisons:

- Ride quality of the 4RS is a little better, and it doesn't tramline like the GT3.

- GT3 feels like it has significantly more torque from low to mid revs. The difference isn't subtle.

- GT3 has more sophisticated handling, I guess due the combination of rear engine, RWS, and different F and R suspension. It has the benefits of a 911, yet a strong front end. 4RS feels like a mid-engine Porsche. I give the win on handling ability and enjoyment to the GT3.

- Overall, today, I prefer the soundtrack of the GT3. It's not as loud as the 4RS, but it's plenty loud when you wind it up, and I like the 'creamy sizzle' of the GT3.

- I still prefer the cockpit of the 4RS, but the GT3 cockpit is 'ok'.

- The GT3 doesn't feel heavier to me; if anything, it may feel a bit lighter.

- The GT3 feels a bit wider, but doesn't really feel much bigger overall. The 4RS actually has a longer wheelbase.

Overall, the GT3 feels like the slightly more expensive bigger brother that it is.

Both cars are plenty raw, thrilling, visceral, fast, etc. If someone is cross-shopping the two cars, I urge you to test drive each of them as much as you can, don't just go by reviews and RL cmmentaries.
Old 05-02-2024, 04:07 PM
alcc
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Third day of ownership, took it for a 30-mile drive this morning, 230 miles on the odometer. Some impressions from today:

- The car is definitely loud, but I'm getting used to it. When driven with spirited intent, the soundtrack is enjoyable, and it's cool how the sound character varies with both the revs and the amount of throttle. I think the soundtrack is the main feature of this car; if it sounded just like the GT3, the two cars would be perceived as being a lot more similar.

- I still think the car lacks a bit of mid range punch, but it's fast overall.

- The steering wheel turns the car well and is intuitive, but there isn't really a lot of feel through the steering wheel. Hard to describe, but there's a bit of 'rubbery' vagueness to it, which I think is related to the car feeling heavier than it actually is.

- After a spirited drive, there's a lot of hot air blown on the rear tires. That would explain why my rear tire pressure is increasing more than the front. This seems less than ideal for track use.

My 22-yo daughter saw the car for the first time this morning and she rode with me. Her observations from the passenger seat:

- The car is like a monster, a tiger in pursuit of prey. Very aggressive demeanor.

- The acceleration is less than she expected relative to the sounds the car makes.

- It's fast and stable in the corners.

My comments should be taken in the context that I've become someone who probably would no longer buy a Porsche GT for road-only use. I feel like the cars are really designed for the track, and for the road, there are other cars I like more, such as my McLaren 570, 992 TTS, E93 M3 convertible, and Cayman R. I'm not suggesting that my POV is 'right' in any way; it's all subjective, and I can totally understand that someone may consider the 4RS to be ultimate road car for them.
Those points are my only criticisms about the car. Funny, my daughter said pretty much the same things yours did. Re the steering, it's plenty tight/connected, but I think a slightly quicker ratio would make the front end feel "lighter', more alive.

The following users liked this post:
Manifold (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 04:11 PM
7184RS
Instructor

I drove my 992 GT3 today, so that I could compare it with 4RS the same day. I expected that I'd enjoy the cars about equally, and was surprised to find that I enjoyed the GT3 more. That's for today, and it could be different tomorrow.

Some comparisons:

- Ride quality of the 4RS is a little better, and it doesn't tramline like the GT3.

- GT3 feels like it has significantly more torque from low to mid revs. The difference isn't subtle.

- GT3 has more sophisticated handling, I guess due the combination of rear engine, RWS, and different F and R suspension. It has the benefits of a 911, yet a strong front end. 4RS feels like a mid-engine Porsche. I give the win on handling ability and enjoyment to the GT3.

- Overall, today, I prefer the soundtrack of the GT3. It's not as loud as the 4RS, but it's plenty loud when you wind it up, and I like the 'creamy sizzle' of the GT3.

- The GT3 feels a bit wider, but doesn't really feel much bigger overall. The 4RS actually has a longer wheelbase.

Overall, the GT3 feels like the slightly more expensive bigger brother that it is.

Both cars are plenty raw, thrilling, visceral, fast, etc. If someone is cross-shopping the two cars, I urge you to test drive each of them as much as you can, don't just go by reviews and RL cmmentaries.
I've driven a GT3 (991.2) and TT (991) It all depends on what you are used to drive / looking for

GT3s to me are too filtrated, it is like going on a fast train, a TT is the same but fatter and faster on straight line. The GT4 RS I drove was not mine (so I was cautious) but if feels different , way more pasional, visceral and with more drama. If it does not convince me I will sell it right away I have no problem with that

if you are used to drive a Cayenne then yes, they are super exciting

Again, about the mid range stuff , that is your gut feeling. It has been demonstrated with data that a GT4 RS pushes at least the same at mid range as a GT3
Old 05-02-2024, 04:22 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,507 Likes on 808 Posts

Some comparisons:

I was tossed the keys to my friends 6MT 992 GT3 to drive however I wanted in the Malibu canyons. These were my takeaways vs the 4RS when driving both “hard”:

1. 992 GT3 is way too easy, feels like the car is a video game doing everything for you. Doesn’t feel raw at all and didn’t give me much fizz in my chest outside of the engine and braking feel.

2. It’s big. Definitely much harder to stay in your own lane dodging rocks, cyclists, etc. Doesn’t make you comfortable in the canyons.

Those were my two largest issues with the 992 GT3 and why I spent the same $ on a 4RS.
The following 3 users liked this post by cooler2442:
GT4RSYMPHONY (05-02-2024), Mr. Adair (05-02-2024), Odin (05-10-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 04:24 PM
alcc
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Some comparisons:

How very interesting . Thanks for the comparo. Now I am tempted.

Re the sound, the 4RS intake growl is unique, but definitely not creamy or cultured. The mechanical "symphony" at 8-9K are race car sounds, not sports car sounds. Some like it. Others not so much.

Manifold (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 04:26 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 7184RS
I've driven a GT3 (991.2) and TT (991) It all depends on what you are used to drive / looking for

GT3s to me are too filtrated, it is like going on a fast train, a TT is the same but fatter and faster on straight line. The GT4 RS I drove was not mine (so I was cautious) but if feels different , way more pasional, visceral and with more drama. If it does not convince me I will sell it right away I have no problem with that

if you are used to drive a Cayenne then yes, they are super exciting

Again, about the mid range stuff , that is your gut feeling. It has been demonstrated with data that a GT4 RS pushes at least the same at mid range as a GT3
They're all great cars. It's a matter of personal preference, and for me also mood.

You should try a 991.1 GT3 (fantastic sound and quite visceral) and a 992 GT3 (amazing front end).
Old 05-02-2024, 04:27 PM
7184RS
Instructor

They're all great cars. It's a matter of personal preference, and for me also mood.

You should try a 991.1 GT3 (fantastic sound and quite visceral) and a 992 GT3 (amazing front end).
100%, they are great cars
Old 05-02-2024, 04:29 PM
Dizzy1127
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Some comparisons:

If you had to keep one and sell the other (i know you are still on initial impressions of the gt4 rs) , which one would would you keep?

Old 05-02-2024, 04:31 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cooler2442
I was tossed the keys to my friends 6MT 992 GT3 to drive however I wanted in the Malibu canyons. These were my takeaways vs the 4RS when driving both “hard”:

1. 992 GT3 is way too easy, feels like the car is a video game doing everything for you. Doesn’t feel raw at all and didn’t give me much fizz in my chest outside of the engine and braking feel.

2. It’s big. Definitely much harder to stay in your own lane dodging rocks, cyclists, etc. Doesn’t make you comfortable in the canyons.

Those were my two largest issues with the 992 GT3 and why I spent the same $ on a 4RS.
If the GT3 feels too easy, drive faster?

I used to feel the 992 cars were a bit too wide, but after logging thousands of miles on my local country roads, they no longer feel much wider than a Cayman to me.
Juggy (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 04:37 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dizzy1127
If you had to keep one and sell the other (i know you are still on initial impressions of the gt4 rs) , which one would would you keep?
I think it's too early to say. There's a core of similarity in the cars, but each also has its distinct strengths. Maybe it will turn out to be close to a tie for me? 4RS is the last of its kind and the only Cayman which can really harass a 991 or 992 GT3, so that alone could be a reason to hold onto a 4RS if you have one.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
7184RS (05-02-2024), jabwind51 (05-10-2024)

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Driving Impressions