Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2024, 12:48 PM
GT4RSYMPHONY
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Taffy66
The 4RS is a compact fun track biased Porsche which is semi-affordable and very well packaged with two trunks vs none in the 992RS. I much prefer it to the 992RS which is just too big for B roads, too expensive to track and has zero stowage or trunk space. My 4RS is just my track car which is practical enough to carry myself and my son with overnight luggage and two crash helmets. You simply couldn't did it in a 992RS, impossible !
I still can’t believe there is no trunk space in the 992 RS. Enormous deal breaker for driving it off track.
Old 05-03-2024, 01:33 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,366 Likes on 2,485 Posts

Originally Posted by Taffy66
The 4RS is a compact fun track biased Porsche which is semi-affordable and very well packaged with two trunks vs none in the 992RS. I much prefer it to the 992RS which is just too big for B roads, too expensive to track and has zero stowage or trunk space. My 4RS is just my track car which is practical enough to carry myself and my son with overnight luggage and two crash helmets. You simply couldn't did it in a 992RS, impossible !
The MSRP prices on these Porsche GT cars pretty much tell you how they all compare with each other.

I think of the 4RS as being roughly on the same tier as the 992 GT3, and not really a true a RS car in the sense of really pushing the aero and suspension like they did the 992 3RS. I think Porsche was absolutely unwilling to make a Cayman which clearly surpasses the iconic GT3, but calling it an RS gave them license make it sound and look rad and get close to the performance of the GT3.

I passed on the 992 3RS for the same reasons as you.
Old 05-03-2024, 03:11 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,294 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
The MSRP prices on these Porsche GT cars pretty much tell you how they all compare with each other.

I think of the 4RS as being roughly on the same tier as the 992 GT3, and not really a true a RS car in the sense of really pushing the aero and suspension like they did the 992 3RS. I think Porsche was absolutely unwilling to make a Cayman which clearly surpasses the iconic GT3, but calling it an RS gave them license make it sound and look rad and get close to the performance of the GT3.

I’m sorry, but that’s pure arbitrary nonsense. No car is as far as they possibly could have taken it. Every RS ever made has held some things in reserve; to meet a price bogey and to save some toys for the next gen, if nothing else. Will the 3rs suddenly “not be a real RS” when the 2RS comes out?

Last edited by Adrift; 05-03-2024 at 03:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Odin (05-10-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 03:41 PM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 1,057 Likes on 426 Posts

I agree with your initial statement that Porsche prices their cars based on a certain objective hierarchy. In the GT category, the GT4 RS is not produced to perform at a higher level than the 992 GT3. Subjectively, some may feel the GT4 RS is a more emotive vehicle to own vs the 992 GT3, but that's up to each individual customer to decide, not something Porsche would choose to impose or imply. It's pretty damn impressive that the GT4 RS priced at $160k MSRP is even considered somewhat at the same level as the GT3, priced at $191k with LWBS. Local leaderboard lap times reflect that these cars are all very close with experienced drivers.

Your second statement about the RS not being a true RS is obviously subjective on your part, as Porsche themselves decide what makes an RS, an RS. For each generation this has looked different (e.g., do you think they really pushed what's possible, aero-wise with the 997.1 GT3 RS?). The sheer amount of bespoke elements on the GT4 RS vs the GT4 gives you an idea of why Porsche qualifies it as an RS car, and generationally feels at least as equivalent to the delta between the 991.2 GT3 and 991.2 GT3 RS. Custom fenders, front and rear aero, hood, wing and wing uprights, air intake system, front chassis, suspension, forged wheels, and oh yeah, an entirely different engine altogether.
The following 3 users liked this post by KelvinC:
BAreaTransplant (05-03-2024), jabwind51 (05-10-2024), Manifold (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 04:29 PM
alcc
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by KelvinC
I agree with your initial statement that Porsche prices their cars based on a certain objective hierarchy. In the GT category, the GT4 RS is not produced to perform at a higher level than the 992 GT3. Subjectively, some may feel the GT4 RS is a more emotive vehicle to own vs the 992 GT3, but that's up to each individual customer to decide, not something Porsche would choose to impose or imply. It's pretty damn impressive that the GT4 RS priced at $160k MSRP is even considered somewhat at the same level as the GT3, priced at $191k with LWBS. Local leaderboard lap times reflect that these cars are all very close with experienced drivers.

Your second statement about the RS not being a true RS is obviously subjective on your part, as Porsche themselves decide what makes an RS, an RS. For each generation this has looked different (e.g., do you think they really pushed what's possible, aero-wise with the 997.1 GT3 RS?). The sheer amount of bespoke elements on the GT4 RS vs the GT4 gives you an idea of why Porsche qualifies it as an RS car, and generationally feels at least as equivalent to the delta between the 991.2 GT3 and 991.2 GT3 RS. Custom fenders, front and rear aero, hood, wing and wing uprights, air intake system, front chassis, suspension, forged wheels, and oh yeah, an entirely different engine altogether.
What "upsets" the RS moniker is not the 4RS but the SRS. An RS specifically tuned not for the track?

The 4RS is definitely tuned/biased for the track. Which makes it a true RS.

The following 2 users liked this post by alcc:
KelvinC (05-03-2024), Manifold (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 04:48 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adrift
I’m sorry, but that’s pure arbitrary nonsense. No car is as far as they possibly could have taken it. Every RS ever made has held some things in reserve; to meet a price bogey and to save some toys for the next gen, if nothing else. Will the 3rs suddenly “not be a real RS” when the 2RS comes out?
I guess what I'm trying to say is that Porsche could have designed the 4RS to be faster than the GT3 at pretty much every track, and priced it accordingly, but they chose not to do that. So we have an RS car with the same engine as a non-RS car, but the non-RS car is faster at most tracks.
Old 05-03-2024, 04:52 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alcc
What "upsets" the RS moniker is not the 4RS but the SRS. An RS specifically tuned not for the track?

I definitely agree. SRS is a fine car, but I believe it's misuse of the RS name to call that car an RS. But it's fine, it's mostly a marketing thing, the car is what it is, and the car will sell.

Speaking of the SRS, my experience with the 4RS convinces me that I don't want a SRS. For me, it's too much noise and grip for an open-top car, and the idea with an open-top car is to connect with the environment as much as the car. But to each his own, SRS will be a perfect car for some people.
ISPYA718 (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 05:01 PM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Porsche could have designed the 4RS to be faster than the GT3 at pretty much every track, and priced it accordingly, but they chose not to do that. So we have an RS car with the same engine as a non-RS car, but the non-RS car is faster at most tracks.
I think most would agree that the RS brand represents the most hardcore, track-focused variants (The Spyder RS screws with this entirely, so I agree with alcc's comment).

Of the Cayman lineup, the GT4 RS fulfills this remit. It has nothing to do with whether it has the potential to be faster than a non-RS, GT 911.

I've driven the 992 GT3 on track, and I absolutely love it. It's a monster and is so sweet to push for faster and faster times. But cars don't drive themselves—the fact that there are many GT4 RS owners putting in as fast, or faster lap times than GT3 owners at tracks says a lot about the car's appeal and capability.
Old 05-03-2024, 05:06 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KelvinC
I think most would agree that the RS brand represents the most hardcore, track-focused variants (The Spyder RS screws with this entirely, so I agree with alcc's comment).

Of the Cayman lineup, the GT4 RS fulfills this remit. It has nothing to do with whether it has the potential to be faster than a non-RS, GT 911.

I've driven the 992 GT3 on track, and I absolutely love it. It's a monster and is so sweet to push for faster and faster times. But cars don't drive themselves—the fact that there are many GT4 RS owners putting in as fast, or faster lap times than GT3 owners at tracks says a lot about the car's appeal and capability.
For sure. Track capability of the 4RS and 992 GT3 are very close, and no GT3 driver should be confident that he won't be passed by a 4RS. I've witnessed the 4RS kicking serious *** on the track, both from the right seat and from being passed by one!

Old 05-03-2024, 05:10 PM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

For sure. Track capability of the 4RS and 992 GT3 are very close, and no GT3 driver should be confident that he won't be passed by a 4RS. I've witnessed the 4RS kicking serious *** on the track, both from the right seat and from being passed by one!
Off-topic...@Manifold every time I see your avatar picture it makes me wish Porsche kept Miami blue in the lineup for the GT4 RS. I had it on my GT4 and miss the color dearly. I even kept my Miami Blue painted key covers for my RS to reminisce of what could have been.

Last edited by KelvinC; 05-03-2024 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-03-2024, 06:04 PM
alcc
Instructor

I definitely agree. SRS is a fine car, but I believe it's misuse of the RS name to call that car an RS. But it's fine, it's mostly a marketing thing, the car is what it is, and the car will sell.

Speaking of the SRS, my experience with the 4RS convinces me that I don't want a SRS. For me, it's too much noise and grip for an open-top car, and the idea with an open-top car is to connect with the environment as much as the car. But to each his own, SRS will be a perfect car for some people.
Of course Porsche can do whatever they want. But imo it's a mistake to "corrupt" the RS moniker with the SRS. With so many "specials" in their history, you'd think they'd be able to come up with an appropriate suffix for the car instead of being lazy and mis-apply the RS label.

Manifold (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 06:38 PM
BAreaTransplant
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by alcc

Yep it is inconsistent but it does beg the question what they should have called as they already have a Spyder and it uses the same engine as the GT4RS
Old 05-03-2024, 06:46 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by BAreaTransplant
Yep it is inconsistent but it does beg the question what they should have called as they already have a Spyder and it uses the same engine as the GT4RS
Spyder R? And even better, give it a manual.

Last edited by sunnyr; 05-03-2024 at 08:39 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by sunnyr:
fasteddie99 (05-04-2024), ISPYA718 (05-03-2024), KelvinC (05-03-2024), Manifold (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 06:48 PM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Spyder R? And even better, given it a manual.
100%
Manifold (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 06:57 PM
alcc
Instructor

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Spyder R? And even better, given it a manual.
I am not up on Porsche's naming conventions. 718 Speedster?

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Driving Impressions