Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Stop Sale on 718 GTS, Spyder & GT4

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 06:53 AM
Garagemahal
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 43 Posts

Its apparent that Porsche Dealers are not any better than any other car dealer - I an not too surprised by this. They are limited, very limited by the “master” they serve. Therefore, I am not going to spend too much time with a SA who, at the end of the day, is only interested in “taking orders” and, in this case, benefits by feigning ignorance ( why is the dealer going to stand in the middle of this problem that ends in a give away or a “negative” order?). Its PCNA and PAG, driving the issue here. Maybe we look at our alternatives:

1) Shouldn’t this issue be addressed other than this forum? I note that the German site has referenced this site. But the “718Forum” Is relatively silent = Why? Where is PCA on this? Where’s the motoring press? This issue is serious fuel for their fire. All Porsche owners or future owners do want to know when this sort of issue is present.

2) We need to identify the PCNA points of contact to get to those that can really be in a position to inform us and where we can express our needs. I will suggest that we do not publicly share names and contacts - in the world of brutal social media power we do need to be civil to the individuals that are just doing their jobs - maybe we PM amongst ourselves. I feel for the frontline guy/gal that has to handle this. But we do need to get the right conversation going with the right people

3) PCNA/PAG really do need to do something with their dealers - it is not in their own best interest to allow their public face to be so ignorant and obtuse. Its a bad look. The interpersonal world doesn't turn on the simple and easy. Its the measure of the response when thing get challenging that makes the best experiences. You want to sell a quality product, act like it.

A little self perspective is worthwhile here too - Life has been more than challenging to everyone given a long time in a global pandemic with restriction to our liberty and supply chain challenges within the global economy. Its tough on all of us and its apparent that we are all getting to a point where we need to get out and taste freedom and normalcy. I ordered my car, in part, to have a point of hope and to get a sense of those liberties back. I am very blessed that I can afford this potential luxury. I will continue to push hard on Porsche to resolve this equitably. I think Porsche is a “Big Machine” that is formulating an organized response - I think we all should continue to press them in a methodical way to communicate their position.

The following 7 users liked this post by Garagemahal:
Afrigon01 (04-01-2021), JP4931 (04-01-2021), nothingman (04-01-2021), P-car-Vancouver (04-01-2021), StilettoPat (04-01-2021), TTFLT6 (04-01-2021), Vintage72 (04-01-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-01-2021, 07:00 AM
Ramon Vennik
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Garagemahal
Its apparent that Porsche Dealers are not any better than any other car dealer - I an not too surprised by this. They are limited, very limited by the “master” they serve. Therefore, I am not going to spend too much time with a SA who, at the end of the day, is only interested in “taking orders” and, in this case, benefits by feigning ignorance ( why is the dealer going to stand in the middle of this problem that ends in a give away or a “negative” order?). Its PCNA and PAG, driving the issue here. Maybe we look at our alternatives:

1) Shouldn’t this issue be addressed other than this forum? I note that the German site has referenced this site. But the “718Forum” Is relatively silent = Why? Where is PCA on this? Where’s the motoring press? This issue is serious fuel for their fire. All Porsche owners or future owners do want to know when this sort of issue is present.

2) We need to identify the PCNA points of contact to get to those that can really be in a position to inform us and where we can express our needs. I will suggest that we do not publicly share names and contacts - in the world of brutal social media power we do need to be civil to the individuals that are just doing their jobs - maybe we PM amongst ourselves. I feel for the frontline guy/gal that has to handle this. But we do need to get the right conversation going with the right people

3) PCNA/PAG really do need to do something with their dealers - it is not in their own best interest to allow their public face to be so ignorant and obtuse. Its a bad look. The interpersonal world doesn't turn on the simple and easy. Its the measure of the response when thing get challenging that makes the best experiences. You want to sell a quality product, act like it.

A little self perspective is worthwhile here too - Life has been more than challenging to everyone given a long time in a global pandemic with restriction to our liberty and supply chain challenges within the global economy. Its tough on all of us and its apparent that we are all getting to a point where we need to get out and taste freedom and normalcy. I ordered my car, in part, to have a point of hope and to get a sense of those liberties back. I am very blessed that I can afford this potential luxury. I will continue to push hard on Porsche to resolve this equitably. I think Porsche is a “Big Machine” that is formulating an organized response - I think we all should continue to press them in a methodical way to communicate their position.
1) Press: https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...n-und-boxster/
2) PCNA, dont know, EU/Belgium dealer told me, engine swap when used, conrods replaced when not delievered yet, week 20 and beyond.
3) My dealer spoke to me before I saw the Stop Sale on rennlist on this issue, the car was unseen (between importer and dealer), I just have to be patient ...
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (04-01-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 08:17 AM
*LongFella81
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I sold my Targa GTS about 2 weeks ago and now my Spyder ETA got moved to July 23rd...glad I got a lot of money for it; however, it would have been nice to have an open-top car for the nice weather.
I sold my 2009 997.2 C4S Lunch Edition and 1957 Porsche 356A Speedster.... would have loved to at least kept the Speedster for the top down weekend cruising
Old 04-01-2021, 10:43 AM
choeglund
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

Dear Porsche AG - I'm pretty disappointed that the ~$100k car I ordered will arrive 2 months late with a rebuilt engine. Since I've only paid a deposit so far, I'm strongly considering refusing delivery. I'm aware that refusal will hurt my local dealer more than it hurts you, but what other recourse do I have? I think the only way I'll take the car is if the engine is replaced with one that was built at the factory. It's unlikely you can convince me that the reliability of a rebuild at port will match that of a factory-built engine. Adding an extended warranty does nothing for me because if I drive the car at a DE event and the engine blows up, I'm pretty sure you'll deny the warranty claim. From this point forward, Porsche AG, it's up to you to convince me that I shouldn't walk away from this deal. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by choeglund; 04-01-2021 at 10:50 AM.
atk250 (04-01-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 11:34 AM
choeglund
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by choeglund
Dear Porsche AG - I'm pretty disappointed that the ~$100k car I ordered will arrive 2 months late with a rebuilt engine. Since I've only paid a deposit so far, I'm strongly considering refusing delivery. I'm aware that refusal will hurt my local dealer more than it hurts you, but what other recourse do I have? I think the only way I'll take the car is if the engine is replaced with one that was built at the factory. It's unlikely you can convince me that the reliability of a rebuild at port will match that of a factory-built engine. Adding an extended warranty does nothing for me because if I drive the car at a DE event and the engine blows up, I'm pretty sure you'll deny the warranty claim. From this point forward, Porsche AG, it's up to you to convince me that I shouldn't walk away from this deal. Thanks for listening.
PS - I sent a message to my dealer suggesting they exercise their influence to convince Porsche to replace the engines rather than rebuild at port. I'd suggest anyone else affected by this stop sale do the same.
The following 3 users liked this post by choeglund:
Dan Shust (04-01-2021), Jeff Jones (04-01-2021), P-car-Vancouver (04-01-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 11:39 AM
Dan Shust
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 20 Posts

It is kinda hard to parse though all of the messages, but how many of us have actually taken delivery on one of these affected cars? (I have) I agree that we probably shouldn't post PCNA contact details publicly, but it might be good to compare notes. For example, the person who called me with the bad news originally said I would be receiving a followup email with more details in a week. I haven't. I followed up with a phone call and they haven't called me back.
P-car-Vancouver (04-01-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 11:42 AM
987SCoupe
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Garagemahal
You make some good points around raising visibility that might help shape Porsche's response and expose meaningful information sooner. Personally, I'm trying to avoid this becoming an obsession, but it may be too late for that!

I'm going to submit an inquiry to some of the popular enthusiast magazines and marque-specific interests including PCA and Excellence. I'll reference this site as a source of some limited but evolving insight, along with the NHTSA filings and short summary to date.

As an aside, I spoke with my SA again yesterday and he was still pretty much in the dark about this. He suggested holding on a bit longer to see what comes of this before I pull the plug, but was understanding that we're approaching that point if the fog isn't lifted soon.

Last edited by 987SCoupe; 04-01-2021 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Brevity
The following 2 users liked this post by 987SCoupe:
afisherunc (04-01-2021), P-car-Vancouver (04-01-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 11:46 AM
987SCoupe
Racer

Originally Posted by Dan Shust
It is kinda hard to parse though all of the messages, but how many of us have actually taken delivery on one of these affected cars?
If I remember correctly, around 20% of the affected vehicles had already been delivered at the time of the stop-sale. Not sure if that holds for the group here but it's probably a good guide.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:47 AM
TTFLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 59 Posts

Is it time to assemble a Concerned Owners Group? Preferably owners that can meet with PCNA in Atlanta and fairly represent everyone impacted by the engine recall. Strength in numbers.
The following 2 users liked this post by TTFLT6:
choeglund (04-01-2021), Dan Shust (04-01-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 11:49 AM
Dan Shust
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 987SCoupe
If I remember correctly, around 20% of the affected vehicles had already been delivered at the time of the stop-sale. Not sure if that holds for the group here but it's probably a good guide.
Totally get that. I was just interested in finding the group of actual people active here. If we have all been talking to the same PCNA contact, etc.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:51 AM
Dan Shust
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TTFLT6
Is it time to assemble a Concerned Owners Group? Preferably owners that can meet with PCNA in Atlanta and fairly represent everyone impacted by the engine recall. Strength in numbers.
I believe that is what happened in the case of the GT3 engine recall.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:02 PM
987SCoupe
Racer

Originally Posted by Dan Shust
Totally get that. I was just interested in finding the group of actual people active here. If we have all been talking to the same PCNA contact, etc.
Got it.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:11 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,747 Likes on 2,759 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyim
If it makes you feel any better, I traded in my 991.1 July 2020!

Supposed to get the new one next week to start the new driving season. Now it looks like another 2 months’ wait, if not longer.

I don’t like using this phrase, but it is what it is.

I am just going to go with the flow since I have no control whatsoever.
Sometimes it is better not to get to wound up about what you can't control! I will add that it sucks to wait longer than expected but it happened to me.

I traded my Boxtser GTS in in July of 2019 for a 2020 Spyder expecting a November delivery, the allocation slots were delayed and when the car finally entered build then the factory was shut down due to Covid-19, next ships were held at port because crews were arriving in Halifax and testing positive... in the end it was a few days short of 1 year before I got the keys to my Spyder!

Hang in there because once you get behind the wheel of your car you will know the wait was worth it!

Last edited by Westcoast; 04-01-2021 at 12:21 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Westcoast:
Afrigon01 (04-01-2021), dichael (04-01-2021), UncleDude (04-01-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 01:04 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by TTFLT6
This. You need a leader to step up and take the initiative. Maybe two sub-groups split by skin in the game: (1) owners who already paid for the cars and (2) buyers with deposits but haven't paid and taken ownership.
Old 04-01-2021, 01:19 PM
*LongFella81
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 987SCoupe
You make some good points around raising visibility that might help shape Porsche's response and expose meaningful information sooner. Personally, I'm trying to avoid this becoming an obsession, but it may be too late for that!

For starters, I think I'll submit an inquiry to some of the popular enthusiast magazines and marque-specific interests including PCA and Excellence. I'll reference this site as a source of some limited but evolving insight, along with the NHTSA filings and short summary of my story to date.

As an aside, I spoke with my SA again yesterday and he was still pretty much in the dark about this. He suggested holding on a bit longer to see what comes of this before I pull the plug, but was understanding that we're approaching that point if the fog isn't lifted soon.
^Same for me. My SA told me his Service Manager said my car was affected by the con rod recall, which was completely false. I had to show my SA the NHTSA notification and send him a screen shot so that he can show his Service Manager the information he is spreading are outright lies.

Now I am trying to get them to get the suspension nut/bolt recall fixed... which I still ended up knowing more about it then my SA and their Service Manager...

I'm about ready to drive there and do the fix myself at this point...

Quick Reply: Stop Sale on 718 GTS, Spyder & GT4