Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Stop Sale on 718 GTS, Spyder & GT4

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 07:07 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,880 Likes on 2,191 Posts

Originally Posted by Reedy
I spoke to my SA here in Australia and he hasn't even heard of the issue. Looks like the problem only extends to a small part of only one market segment. This is absolutely nothing like the GT3 issue.
It’s being reported that 800-1000 4.0L 718s are affected worldwide — sounds like every one made during those published dates.

Since this is primarily a North American forum..generally only discuss what’s relevant to us.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:10 AM
johnycarrera
Advanced

Received 172 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by OS10 BLU Spyder
Based on the fact that people are still getting build slots / allocations for new cars, I’m not sure they’ll have the capacity to replace all affected engines and maintain schedules for new sales, which they certainly appear to be prioritising. I count myself as quite fortunate in that my January build Spyder still hasn’t left the body shop according to their production tracking system, after being delayed 4 times. The most appropriate action would to return all the engines to factory rebuild them and then fit them in Boxster 25s, which will generally lead a much less stressed life than GTS, GT4 and Spyders.

@johnycarrera I hope Porsche do the right thing by their customers, particularly in the UK where GT4s and Spyders only really go to serial Porsche buyers, I also hope it doesn’t take large numbers of buyers rejecting their cars, for them to do it. A central allocation (non-dealer) of 992 GT3 / Touring would satisfy me, as they need to make their customers more than whole.

cheers let’s hope so, it’s gone pretty quiet over here now, but I guess every is dragging without word of what’s happening. I know things will work out in the end, just want to start enjoying it after the crap year we’ve all had 👍🏻
The following users liked this post:
OS10 BLU Spyder (04-02-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 08:33 AM
Bartleby7334
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
+1

Not sure why there needs to be a letter writing campaign.

Seems like Porsche has identified the problem (i.e. con rods) and implemented solutions -- either replacement of the con rods, or replace the entire engine.

What more "communication" do people want? Or deserve?

Is there something I am missing?
I have an order demand pending, for a newly manufactured vehicle. Part of what I am paying for is the Porsche ‘factory process’ which is usually standardized and reliably within specification. In this case, the Porsche factory process passed engines out of specification. Replacing the engine with a new engine delivers a standardized factory product and process satisfactorily. Replacing the internals of an existing engine yields a remanufactured product and likely a nonstandard process.

Now, the quality control of a nonstandard process is likely to have more variation. Sure, Porsche can specify a method of remanufacture, but I’m pretty sure that unless it’s an ‘assembly line’ there will be more individual skill involved. And while Porsche was once famous for the individual skill of its craftspersons, they are thinner on the ground these days,

When I took delivery of my GT3 at PCNA, the highlight of my tour was being allowed to spend an entire hour with the Master Technician who rebuilds classic Porsches bolt by bolt. Performing at that level takes a lot of time, skill, experience, judgement, and care. When that process is complete, the vehicle is better than new. But that takes time. Weeks. Months.

Sure, given enough time Porsche can remanufacture multiple engines to ‘better than new’ quality. But to do it right may take an extraordinary amount of time.

Last edited by Bartleby7334; 04-02-2021 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:35 AM
998R
Instructor

Received 321 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Since this is primarily a North American forum..generally only discuss what’s relevant to us.
Sorry didn’t realise this was a USA focussed forum, I thought it was about a car that was sold globally?

Cheers,
Harry.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:38 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,880 Likes on 2,191 Posts

Originally Posted by 998R
Sorry didn’t realise this was a USA focussed forum, I thought it was about a car that was sold globally?

Cheers,
Harry.
Perhaps a full quote and in context to a previous question would make sense instead of popping off...
Old 04-02-2021, 08:39 AM
Garagemahal
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 43 Posts

I find it fortunate that Porsches do not have, as a matter of normal course, matching engine and chassis numbers. With replacement engines, the fact that there is no match, then its a bit more “normal” and thus has a lot less potential for loss of resale value. However, this fact does somewhat conceal the assurance that the engine was a factory replacement and not a “dock” rebuild. As the good folks at Porsche align a remedy here, i would think that some proof of action would be very helpful and that, in any instance, an extended warranty will need to provided to backstop the engine and the associated “non factory” fix. The lack of a “Factory commissioning” presents a troublesome perception that these vehicles are “compromised” - even with “new” engines, the act of removal and installation outside of the controlled factory environment may lead to issues with electrical harness/component problems, rear suspension issues, clutch, etc that may have been affected by the removal/replacement action. Shaking out these issues on the customers “time” is a real concern. Hence the need for extended warranty and potential some other form of compensation for the inconvenience. I would hope that Porsche will provide proof of what action they will be taking on these engines. Personally, I’ll need the specific degree of assurance that there is a replacement (not repaired) engine to not reject the order
Old 04-02-2021, 08:58 AM
Cavitee
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

What are the published dates?
Old 04-02-2021, 09:20 AM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by mjw930
One point that seems to be missed here is in the US, 171 of these cars are still owned by PCNA/PAG. The other thing that seems to be missed is the delivery dates were never guaranteed. If the wait or the stigma is more than you can stomach simply cancel your order. I doubt PAG or your dealer will be all that upset. When they do land the dealers will accept them (that’s when PCNA gets paid) and they all will find good homes (that’s when the dealer gets paid).

I understand the upset and anger, I’d be right there with you bitching up a storm but the reality is it is completely out of your control and no matter how mad that makes you and no matter how poorly you take no for an answer (lots of type A, high achievers here, it’s the Porsche demographic) PAG has the final say and they are going to handle in a very methodical way. Having dealt with Porsche for almost 40 years none of this surprises me.
This one point of view and it stems from an understanding that a mistake was made and it will take Porsche AG time to research it, develop a resolution plan, communicate the resolution plan to customers, and remedy the problem. This is the way they do it and they’ve done it this way for 40 years.

It’s my expectation that competent management has planned for this and similar circumstances. It’s not only foreseeable that a car manufacturer would ship a few thousand cars with engines that require rebuild or replacement, it happens with some frequency. And it has happened to Porsche in the not too distant past.

Since it is inevitable and foreseeable, they should have (1) a communication template ready to go, (2) a framework for making the rebuild or replace decision ready to go, and (3) an owner/buyer compensation package framework ready to go.

it would still take weeks to work through the necessary decisions but people saying it’s been like this for 40 years and you shouldn’t expect better have a perspective I can’t grasp. I bought a world class car from a world class luxury car maker through a world class dealership and have received zero communication of the problem or resolution. Markets don’t permit businesses to operate that way today. Maybe 40 years ago.
The following 2 users liked this post by sanderabernathy:
Garagemahal (04-02-2021), Paiceyfan (04-02-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 09:20 AM
ausgang
Racer

Received 386 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by *LongFella81
.....I was hesitant to give an update. I know everyone with the connecting rod recall is still stressing and has NO solid information or response from Porsche. But I will keep digging for information for you all even if I do pick up my GT4 this weekend (or not... we will see). I didn't come this far to abandon ship!
Actually, a little good news may be what we all need right now. Get out there and enjoy your new ride and report back with photos and first impressions. So --- don't think of it as "abondoning the ship". Think of it as some "shore leave" to get some much-needed R&R.
The following users liked this post:
*LongFella81 (04-02-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 09:29 AM
718Spyder2021PDK
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry Stop sale!

Ordered a Spyder 718 PDK, car arrived at the dealership last Tuesday, but Stop sale...
I don't know when the car will be delivered to me.. Connecting rods issue. Salesman don't know if they will replace the engine or just replace connecting rods. They are waiting for instructions from Porsche.
Disappointing... My first Porsche ever

Old 04-02-2021, 09:38 AM
*LongFella81
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
For me its the image of the guy who’s never re-built an engine before, figuring out how to put mine back together between oil changes on Macans.
I'm in the same boat and I was told by my SA that their service guys/gals have NEVER completed the fix needed for the suspension recall - it is there first time and they expect it to take 6+ hrs

I imagine it being like an amateur Ikea furniture building session where you end up with a few extra parts and you don't know why... That worries me...
Old 04-02-2021, 09:40 AM
Garagemahal
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 718Spyder2021PDK
Ordered a Spyder 718 PDK, car arrived at the dealership last Tuesday, but Stop sale...
I don't know when the car will be delivered to me.. Connecting rods issue. Salesman don't know if they will replace the engine or just replace connecting rods. They are waiting for instructions from Porsche.
Disappointing... My first Porsche ever

Its a great move for your dealer to take a pic of your car and send it to you. Maybe a little bit of a tease, but heck, its good to be connected to the “dream” . The spider is an awesome car hope this all resolves in good order and in a timely fashion
Old 04-02-2021, 09:57 AM
Porsche757
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 25 Posts

Curious how Porsche will define "as necessary" per the text shown below...
Has anyone called the Porsche customer service number yet?
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=21V200000
March 24, 2021 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 21V200000
Cracked Connecting Rod May Damage Engine
A loose connection while driving may cause engine damage, a stall, or an oil leak, increasing the risk of a crash or fire.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V200000

Manufacturer Porsche Cars North America, Inc.

Components ENGINE

Potential Number of Units Affected 190

Summary

Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (Porsche) is recalling certain 2021 Porsche Cayman GT4, Cayman GTS 4.0, 718 Spyder, and Boxster GTS 4.0 vehicles. The engine connecting rods may crack and loosen.

Remedy

Porsche will notify owners, and dealers will replace the connecting rods or, as necessary, the engine, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin May 23, 2021. Owners may contact Porsche customer service at 1-800-767-7243. Porsche's number for this recall is AMA4.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

Last edited by Porsche757; 04-02-2021 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:58 AM
718Spyder2021PDK
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I took the picture myself
Old 04-02-2021, 10:00 AM
Pointbye
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Bartleby7334
I have an order demand pending, for a newly manufactured vehicle. Part of what I am paying for is the Porsche ‘factory process’ which is usually standardized and reliably within specification. In this case, the Porsche factory process passed engines out of specification. Replacing the engine with a new engine delivers a standardized factory product and process satisfactorily. Replacing the internals of an existing engine yields a remanufactured product and likely a nonstandard process.

Now, the quality control of a nonstandard process is likely to have more variation. Sure, Porsche can specify a method of remanufacture, but I’m pretty sure that unless it’s an ‘assembly line’ there will be more individual skill involved. And while Porsche was once famous for the individual skill of its craftspersons, they are thinner on the ground these days,

When I took delivery of my GT3 at PCNA, the highlight of my tour was being allowed to spend an entire hour with the Master Technician who rebuilds classic Porsches bolt by bolt. Performing at that level takes a lot of time, skill, experience, judgement, and care. When that process is complete, the vehicle is better than new. But that takes time. Weeks. Months.

Sure, given enough time Porsche can remanufacture multiple engines to ‘better than new’ quality. But to do it right may take an extraordinary amount of time.
😂😂

Quick Reply: Stop Sale on 718 GTS, Spyder & GT4