Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Stop Sale on 718 GTS, Spyder & GT4

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 12:20 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by sassdouille
That just made me think, if it's 6 months, there is more or less enough time to order a whole new car, with no special history attached to it...
If you could get an allocation right now.
The following 2 users liked this post by Archimedes:
AlexCeres (04-08-2021), Alpha Ice (04-03-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 12:32 PM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by 8haggis;[url=tel:17340651
17340651[/url]]Mine is also sitting on the showroom floor in the window. I wonder how many of the affected cars are on display?
They’re using our cars to drive additional sales so they’ll be so busy selling and producing new units they won’t have time to fix ours so ours will sit on the floor longer so they can sell and produce more new units...
Old 04-03-2021, 12:50 PM
Knotty Skink
Track Day

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 8haggis
Mine is also sitting on the showroom floor in the window. I wonder how many of the affected cars are on display?
My car was one of the 19 delivered. This is what I got this morning:

We know you have been eagerly awaiting additional information about the arrival of a new engine for your 718 Boxster GTS 4.0, and we are happy to confirm that the factory now estimates these will begin arriving at the end of May. As we get closer to that date, we will provide specific details, at which point you may schedule an appointment with an authorized Porsche dealership to perform the necessary work.
In the meantime, we understand if you prefer not to drive your vehicle, and we recognize the inconvenience this could create. Therefore, if daily transportation is needed, let us know and we will work with your local dealer to arrange a complimentary loaner vehicle that you may use until your engine replacement is completed. If you prefer to arrange your own alternate transportation and do not need a loaner vehicle, we would like to provide you with $4,000 in direct compensation to cover any associated expenses. Please contact Jason Nelson directly at jason.nelson@porsche.us and let him know which option you prefer.
As an additional gesture of goodwill, you will find attached a voucher good for $1,000 toward a driving experience at one of our two Porsche Experience Center locations in Atlanta, GA and Carson, CA, or at our Porsche Track Experience in Birmingham, AL. We hope you will be able to take advantage of this offer to enjoy a fun and excitement filled day on us.
At Porsche, your safety is always our first priority. We thank you for your continued patience and understanding while we work to ensure your Porsche can be enjoyed for many exciting miles to come.
Old 04-03-2021, 12:54 PM
Afrigon01
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

I was wondering how many paid MSRP, Discount or Premium ?
Personnaly I paid MSRP (with 16K in options) but i got PPF (front half of the car + mirrors) and a car cover, roughly CA$2.5K

Last edited by Afrigon01; 04-03-2021 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-03-2021, 12:59 PM
sassdouille
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Melissa French
My car was one of the 19 delivered. This is what I got this morning:

We know you have been eagerly awaiting additional information about the arrival of a new engine for your 718 Boxster GTS 4.0, and we are happy to confirm that the factory now estimates these will begin arriving at the end of May. As we get closer to that date, we will provide specific details, at which point you may schedule an appointment with an authorized Porsche dealership to perform the necessary work.
In the meantime, we understand if you prefer not to drive your vehicle, and we recognize the inconvenience this could create. Therefore, if daily transportation is needed, let us know and we will work with your local dealer to arrange a complimentary loaner vehicle that you may use until your engine replacement is completed. If you prefer to arrange your own alternate transportation and do not need a loaner vehicle, we would like to provide you with $4,000 in direct compensation to cover any associated expenses. Please contact Jason Nelson directly at jason.nelson@porsche.us and let him know which option you prefer.
As an additional gesture of goodwill, you will find attached a voucher good for $1,000 toward a driving experience at one of our two Porsche Experience Center locations in Atlanta, GA and Carson, CA, or at our Porsche Track Experience in Birmingham, AL. We hope you will be able to take advantage of this offer to enjoy a fun and excitement filled day on us.
At Porsche, your safety is always our first priority. We thank you for your continued patience and understanding while we work to ensure your Porsche can be enjoyed for many exciting miles to come.
some interesting differences with people like me who haven't taken delivery yet :
  • End of May timeline compared to 3-6 months
  • explicitly talks about new engines
  • talks about scheduling the work with a dealership
  • loaner car
  • voucher
The following users liked this post:
johnycarrera (04-03-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 01:00 PM
MisterYe
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just got an email this morning

I like that they are like, 3-6 months delay, but don't talk about any compensation or loaner car, very like, oh it happens, see you in half a year...
The inconsistencies on the timeline across different dealers and sources seem to indicate that no one actually has a clue.
Old 04-03-2021, 01:09 PM
Knotty Skink
Track Day

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

some interesting differences with people like me who haven't taken delivery yet :
  • End of May timeline compared to 3-6 months
  • explicitly talks about new engines
  • talks about scheduling the work with a dealership
  • loaner car
  • voucher
I’m not excited. We have had this car sitting in our garage and only got to drive it a few days before being told about the recall. Now we pay insurance and watch it sit while contemplating how this will shake out in 10 years when we go to sell it and get the inevitable questions. FML. Should have got the Carrera S instead of taking a chance on the 718 with a performance engine.
Old 04-03-2021, 01:10 PM
skafia
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 295 Posts

Received an email for mine as well, she's a week away from unloading in CA... delay is 3-6 months.
Old 04-03-2021, 01:12 PM
JohnC4S
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 97 Posts

Compensation and voucher for delay?!? You will be fortunate if Porsche throws in couple years of free service in addition to the free first year service for your inconvenience. When my Macan Turbo PP was delay for 3 months in 2017 I got extra 2 years service even though I was not expecting it. IMO delay and sh*t happen, and honestly it is only a car and not kidney transplant.

John
The following 2 users liked this post by JohnC4S:
Alpha Ice (04-03-2021), P-car-Vancouver (04-03-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 01:20 PM
sassdouille
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnC4S
Compensation and voucher for delay?!? You will be fortunate if Porsche throws in couple years of free service in addition to the free first year service for your inconvenience. When my Macan Turbo PP was delay for 3 months in 2017 I got extra 2 years service even though I was not expecting it. IMO delay and sh*t happen, and honestly it is only a car and not kidney transplant.

John
One thing that makes it different, is that it's only a slice of cars, and it's not like we had any control of which slice we were in, it's not like every car is held at port for CARB or something, that qualifies as sh*t happens.
In this case, I get to see people who ordered after me, get to enjoy their cars while I wait for my car with nothing in hand, only to end up with a car with a history.
Knotty Skink (04-03-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 01:41 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 286 Posts

That just made me think, if it's 6 months, there is more or less enough time to order a whole new car, with no special history attached to it...
I got an allocation just last week after placing an order demand late February, and I was told it will be arriving in October. It could come sooner, but I'm guessing that Porsche is sand-bagging delivery timelines given all of these issues? My friend got an allocation for his 992 in the first week of March and was told he'd be getting his come July. Granted his will be a 2021, and mine will be a 2022...but still stinks to wait this long. Hopefully its all done in 3 months once the ball gets rolling and the plan is determined...and I think that's why the lead time is so long; they're still finding the best option to resolve this.
Old 04-03-2021, 01:48 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,762 Likes on 692 Posts

There is a stark contrast between how people who have taken delivery of their cars are being treated and those that haven’t. Some of this is a pure ownership issue...undelivered cars are still owned by Porsche. I imagine it is also a liability issue given the risk associated with the recall. I’m glad to see Porsche taking care of those folks. Now they need to get their **** together when it comes to the undelivered cars. The email was a joke.

For anyone comparing this to a supply chain disruption caused delay, they are very different. This was directly caused by Porsche, is a quality and safety issue, a Porsche issued recall and they are going to handle it differently than a situation that is mostly to entirely outside of their control. We need to keep advocating for them to make this right.
Old 04-03-2021, 01:52 PM
skafia
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 295 Posts

Hate to ask, but does anyone know how this affects resell? Will these cars not be "numbers matching" anymore (assuming there will be engine replacements). Did the exploding 991s get a 10 year engine warranty even with a replacement?
Old 04-03-2021, 02:19 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,762 Likes on 692 Posts

Nobody knows with certainty about resale but I’m not worried about that part at all. This is a small % of the cars, there will be zero issues from a “numbers matching” perspective as Porsche will address this with the change.

It’s possible that a future buyer will research this issue and avoid a car in this VIN range. Personally I don’t see this as a likely issue or one that would impact the ability to sell or the price but it might shrink the willing buyer pool some small amount. These are and will continue to be desirable cars. My habit is to trade to a dealer for tax purposes and it won’t be a factor their at all.

PorscheADD (04-03-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 02:27 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,508 Likes on 2,258 Posts

it would be helpful if people listed their country of origin in their profiles
The following 2 users liked this post by UncleDude:
fantom (04-03-2021), tigerhonaker (04-03-2021)

Quick Reply: Stop Sale on 718 GTS, Spyder & GT4