Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Stop Sale on 718 GTS, Spyder & GT4

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 09:41 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,805 Likes on 865 Posts

Just spoke to my SA since my car just got a VIN and asked if my car was affected by this stop sale. He said he would check with his service dept and check the VIN against some list he had. He called me back to say that my car wasn't affected but during our conversation, he did mention a car on the east coast where the engine basically destroyed itself and had metal shavings all over. He didn't have anymore info than that.

With my car being delayed 4 times, I wouldn't be surprised if any of the delays were due to either the suspension stop sale or the con rod stop sale but if they were, I guess it was a good thing since it was taken care of while at the factory.
The following users liked this post:
Paiceyfan (03-30-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 09:56 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,508 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
Just spoke to my SA since my car just got a VIN and asked if my car was affected by this stop sale. He said he would check with his service dept and check the VIN against some list he had. He called me back to say that my car wasn't affected but during our conversation, he did mention a car on the east coast where the engine basically destroyed itself and had metal shavings all over. He didn't have anymore info than that.

With my car being delayed 4 times, I wouldn't be surprised if any of the delays were due to either the suspension stop sale or the con rod stop sale but if they were, I guess it was a good thing since it was taken care of while at the factory.
That’s good news. What was your V300 date? Mine must have been a day or so away from boarding a train before it was arrested.

Old 03-29-2021, 10:20 PM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by 987SCoupe
I received this text from my sales advisor when checking in for an update on my CGTS order this morning... 'There is a "stop sale" on all GTS, Spyder and GT4. We don't know why. My manager told me today in the meeting..."

Anyone with insight on this current stop-sale order?

Hopefully not a big deal as my car is already onboard a ship in the Atlantic...
The connecting rods in the engine are bad. They have to replace the engine or tear it down and replace the connecting rods. They haven’t decided what they are going to do and they haven’t said when they will decide.

Sorry for your loss.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:44 PM
987SCoupe
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by sanderabernathy
The connecting rods in the engine are bad. They have to replace the engine or tear it down and replace the connecting rods. They haven’t decided what they are going to do and they haven’t said when they will decide.
That does seem to be the consensus.
Dan Shust (03-30-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 10:53 PM
metalone
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts

This thread have achieved to get me triggered badly.. I found myself searching my VIN's built date, so next I will start hearing engine noises., so better
rp2000r (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 12:14 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Today I took my 05 987 Boxster S (manual, PASM, Milltek exhaust) out of winter hibernation and for a first drive -- after testing a manual CGTS 4.0 about a month ago.

TLDR: Yes the 4.0 had much more pull (400 vs 280 hp) but I'm not sure it's the better car (as Boxsters have never been about pull and HP), much less at 4x the price, with the choked/computerized exhaust, the long 2nd gear, and now with the issues I see in this thread. I bought my first 987 Boxster S new in 06, and sold it after 6 years, 40k backroad miles, and 70+ track days, bone stock, with zero problems -- just change fluids, tires, and brakes. Now I'm on my second one bought used couple of years ago -- already put 10k backroad miles on it. As I wrung out the howling pre-DFI 3.2 flat 6 today out of the first turn, the hydraulic steering wheel dancing in my hands, the car wrapped around me like a supple brown leather glove, it whispered and my gut felt: "Are you sure about replacing this? With what?"

I have been seriously considering a BGTS 4.0 as a replacement for my 987 for a year now, have spent hours on the configurator, and I'm on a few lists for an allocation. Not sure and becoming less so...
Old 03-30-2021, 12:39 AM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Today I took my 05 987 Boxster S (manual, PASM, Milltek exhaust) out of winter hibernation and for a first drive -- after testing a manual CGTS 4.0 about a month ago.

TLDR: Yes the 4.0 had much more pull (400 vs 280 hp) but I'm not sure it's the better car (as Boxsters have never been about pull and HP), much less at 4x the price, with the choked/computerized exhaust, the long 2nd gear, and now with the issues I see in this thread. I bought my first 987 Boxster S new in 06, and sold it after 6 years, 40k backroad miles, and 70+ track days, bone stock, with zero problems -- just change fluids, tires, and brakes. Now I'm on my second one bought used couple of years ago -- already put 10k backroad miles on it. As I wrung out the howling pre-DFI 3.2 flat 6 today out of the first turn, the hydraulic steering wheel dancing in my hands, the car wrapped around me like a supple brown leather glove, it whispered and my gut felt: "Are you sure about replacing this? With what?"

I have been seriously considering a BGTS 4.0 as a replacement for my 987 for a year now, have spent hours on the configurator, and I'm on a few lists for an allocation. Not sure and becoming less so...
Yeah, I’ve been wanting the 981 I sold a couple of weeks ago. But let’s not kid ourselves. That car and the 987 that preceded it are nowhere near as good.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:01 AM
Antipodean
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

Would a database of confirmed / suspected vehicles affected be useful to rennlist members?

Useful data might include: VIN; model; build date; present location of vehicle; confirmed affected via Porsche +- dealer, vs suspected by rennlist member. Later data might include: accepted or declined vehicle; repair date; type of repair (engine replacement vs rebuild); additional compensation (monetary, warranty, etc.)

The raison d'être of rennlist is sharing knowledge to buy and sell Porsches at the true market price, yes?
Old 03-30-2021, 01:40 AM
Spyder718
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Antipodean
Would a database of confirmed / suspected vehicles affected be useful to rennlist members?

Useful data might include: VIN; model; build date; present location of vehicle; confirmed affected via Porsche +- dealer, vs suspected by rennlist member. Later data might include: accepted or declined vehicle; repair date; type of repair (engine replacement vs rebuild); additional compensation (monetary, warranty, etc.)

The raison d'être of rennlist is sharing knowledge to buy and sell Porsches at the true market price, yes?
LOL
Old 03-30-2021, 03:14 AM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,805 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
That’s good news. What was your V300 date? Mine must have been a day or so away from boarding a train before it was arrested.

My V300 was originally planned as 2/5 with an expected date 3/19 but it moved up to 3/11.
Old 03-30-2021, 03:53 AM
ltfl09
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 88 Posts

This could be reason for stop sale. They probably have to ensure all bolts are tightened

Porsche Recalls Taycan, 911, 718 Series Over Loose Suspension Components - autoevolution

RCLRPT-21V157-6928.PDF (nhtsa.gov)
Old 03-30-2021, 07:47 AM
Garagemahal
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 43 Posts

Its pretty apparent to me that there are some quality issues that PAG is addressing here and I am going to assume that their equation is something like “stop the bleeding first, then repair the damage and then shore up the customer base”. Its obvious they do not have a full game plan yet - hence say nothing and stall until an official line is understood. It would be smart if they got the story straight (affected vehicles known, replacements lined up, resources in place, compensation to committed customers determined), then they act. In the thread above we see two options for the Con Rod issue = repair or replace?

I would suspect that the replace option is the best choice due to the ability to control quality - why tear into and engine at various locations with various technicians with various skill levels which all adds up to some real challenges to monitor and control quality. Why add to the quality control problem? Removing / replacing an engine is a much more programmatic and controllable maintenance function than the surgical replace the guts option. But this begs some questions: 1) with a replacement does this mean a new engine number? ( likely yes -they must track the defective motors and prove the defect was remediated) 2) Do unaffected Porsche cars normally have matching chassis, engine, tranny numbers? ( I am new to the Porsche world and I do not like to assume here) - I wouldn’t speculate as to the impact to value if there were mismatched numbers especially if Porsche provided extended warranty. 3) So they replace the motor here in North America, do they test drive after the engine replacement and repeat the “Just off the assembly line” QA/QC checks? Hmmmm, rat racing around the docks?! 4) basic question time - what is a new car? Or more accurately What is a new luxury sports car? For me, new is full faith in the mark in terms of reliability and “the experience” This is a Porsche and thus it holds value because of a unique partnership between their engineering /manufacturing capability and the extensive buyer/fan base - its one of the worlds best brands. This issue deeply threatens that brand - it is tantamount that Porsche makes right. They are selling me a New Porsche with all the same value and brand quality as an unaffected car - the solution must reflect that.
Webfiero (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 09:16 AM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 205 Posts

Garagemahal, good summation. I can say with absolute certainly that the engine s/n is independent of the VIN. My 987 CS's engine s/n had no relation to its VIN. Now of course that s/n was connected to the VIN but a new engine with a different s/n can be attached to the car in the same way. As to the affect on value/resale I cannot say. I agree replacing parts is not the preferred way to remedy this situation and I don't expect Porsche to take that route. We're just going to have to wait until Porsche makes a decision about notifying all owners affected, hopefully that will happen soon. My car is supposedly unaffected but we keep hearing rumors that all 4.0 engines might be subject at some point to replacement. No one knows right now however.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:34 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,483 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by ltfl09
This could be reason for stop sale. They probably have to ensure all bolts are tightened

Porsche Recalls Taycan, 911, 718 Series Over Loose Suspension Components - autoevolution

RCLRPT-21V157-6928.PDF (nhtsa.gov)
Thanks for posting this....my 2021 GT4 PDK (first week of Nov 2020 build) is within the VIN (MS289249) range for the suspension recall.
Looks like a simple solution to the problem but it says dealers/owners will be notified after May 9???/Why the wait?????

On the other hand a bit nervous about the engine issue...this one is not so simple and the mystery surrounding it is even worst....add to it not being used (yet) to an engine that makes noises like the 9A2.
Do we have positive confirmation of the build date range for this issue?

IMO, for a brand like Porsche, they should come clean ASAP and let the customers know they got their back and if they don't have a solution yet mention that they are working on one.
Nothing worst like rumors and wrong info running around the Internet for a luxury brand like Porsche.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:21 AM
*LongFella81
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

All,

It is finally posted and official on NHSTA: Cracked Connecting Rod May Damage Engine

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2021/P...DR/RWD#recalls

VIN Ranges: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...1V200-4154.PDF

Recall Acknowledgment: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...1V200-9892.pdf

Date Build Range: 1/26/2021 - 3/4/2021 (GT4 only, other vehicles might be different)

Speculation is over. You can look at the first PDF document to see if your VIN is affected.

As noted in the recall acknowledgment:

Remedy:
Porsche will notify owners, and dealers will replace the connecting rods or, as necessary, the engine, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin May 23, 2021. Owners may contact Porsche customer service at 1-800-767-7243. Porsche's number for this recall is AMA4.

So you either get new rods or a new engine. It does not say "how" that is determined... I'm hooping owners can push for one or the other...

On a really positive note (for me at least)... and I still need to confirm this with my SA... my build date is 12/7/2020 so it is NOT affected by the connecting rod issue... just the suspension issue... crazy...

Last edited by *LongFella81; 03-30-2021 at 10:25 AM.
The following 14 users liked this post by *LongFella81:
987SCoupe (03-30-2021), afisherunc (03-30-2021), AlexCeres (04-01-2021), Balloonmeister (03-30-2021), Garagemahal (03-30-2021), halfmonkey (03-30-2021), jefflj (03-30-2021), Outlaw 06 (03-30-2021), Paiceyfan (03-30-2021), rp2000r (03-30-2021), slilley (03-31-2021), sobiloff (03-30-2021), Spyder718 (03-30-2021), TurboCup87 (03-30-2021) and 9 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Stop Sale on 718 GTS, Spyder & GT4