Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Stop Sale on 718 GTS, Spyder & GT4

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 11:59 AM
*LongFella81
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 987SCoupe
And I thought I was asking such a simple question... "Anyone with insight on this current stop-sale order?"

Two weeks and 700 posts later...
You and me both!

I started a "Stop Sale" thread about the suspension nut/bolt thing in the LA Region. Got a few of the forum old timers down playing it... "only 69 cars" blah blah blah...

Still waiting for that PM Porsche
Old 03-31-2021, 12:27 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,747 Likes on 2,759 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
I dont think that'd ever happen. Most likely they'll get rebuild and set aside for warranty claims, or future people off warranty blowing their engine (mazda did that with rotaries) or even tossed.
I got one of those rotary engines for my FC, started right up and purred like a kitten!
Old 03-31-2021, 12:36 PM
Z06jerry
Pro

Received 359 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I got one of those rotary engines for my FC, started right up and purred like a kitten!
What the heck is a Mazda FC?? ... I had to look it up, turns out I bought one in 1987! lol.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:44 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,747 Likes on 2,759 Posts
Default A small break from the regular programming!

Originally Posted by Z06jerry
What the heck is a Mazda FC?? ... I had to look it up, turns out I bought one in 1987! lol.
Mine was a 1991, I had a lot of fun in it! Here is that car and that 13B rotary engine...

The following 2 users liked this post by Westcoast:
FASTRKMAN (03-31-2021), The Pinkoboe (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 12:55 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,508 Likes on 2,258 Posts

I wonder how long it will be before Porsche gives its customers a repair / compensation plan. It is disappointing to read that the recall won't begin until May, which means big delays and longer than the 30 days I was initially told. I can appreciate it takes time to get this right on their end, but not knowing if the engine will be repaired or replaced is what's causing me to lose sleep, not the timeline.
The following 4 users liked this post by UncleDude:
afisherunc (03-31-2021), Mariomark (03-31-2021), P-car-Vancouver (03-31-2021), tigerhonaker (04-01-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 01:40 PM
ausgang
Racer

Received 386 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
You think Porsche, after all these years of designing motors, suddenly produced a flawed design of a con rod, one that is likely identical or near to designs they’ve been running in other motors for years? Any other ridiculous speculation you wanna throw in the mix to support your claim of sticking with your 1983 Boxster instead of buying a new one?

This is a supplier manufacturing error, plain and simple.
The few facts we have support your point: The recall does not state there were any 'failures'. What it does say is that Porsche were made aware of the fact that they had been supplied with a certain quantity of connecting rods which did not meet their specifications.
Old 03-31-2021, 01:52 PM
8haggis
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 26 Posts

In my experience, the decision to perform one remedy over another comes down to the numbers. Which repair process has the least overall financial impact to the company? (Including impacts to the brand and the resale value of the vehicle/fleet. Not only against future sales, but also lease values.)
Therefore, an estimate of the time of engine rebuild at the dealer level multiplied by the agreed-to labor rate plus the calculated rate of expected future field issue/warranty cost plus brand damage cost VS. the cost of factory engine plus shipping minus the recovery value of the returned engine at the factory plus shipping costs, plus the labor rate multiplied by engine swap labor.

Therefore, for in-use engines, maybe the engine recovery value is much less and tips towards repair vs replacement? (Assuming warranty and brand risk calculation is very small.)
Otherwise, I cannot imagine how a engine rebuild is cheaper than engine swap.

If anyone had access to the Porsche approved repair time for con rod replacement, the warranty labor rate chargeable to Porsche plus con rod parts cost, as well as the "parts cost" for a new engine and its related labor cost - you could determine the percentage of engine value needed to recover to make engine swap pay off...
Old 03-31-2021, 01:54 PM
afisherunc
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
I wonder how long it will be before Porsche gives its customers a repair / compensation plan. It is disappointing to read that the recall won't begin until May, which means big delays and longer than the 30 days I was initially told. I can appreciate it takes time to get this right on their end, but not knowing if the engine will be repaired or replaced is what's causing me to lose sleep, not the timeline.
IMO, having to wait until May 23rd to even start scheduling the process of getting engines replaced is ridiculous. I was also told we were looking at an April timeline, which I interpreted to mean when the engine would be in the car and folks could take delivery.
Old 03-31-2021, 02:06 PM
*LongFella81
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by afisherunc
IMO, having to wait until May 23rd to even start scheduling the process of getting engines replaced is ridiculous. I was also told we were looking at an April timeline, which I interpreted to mean when the engine would be in the car and folks could take delivery.
I was told first week of April for the "suspension nut/bolt" recall. I doubt the con rod recall would be in April (maybe last part of April - best case scenario)
Old 03-31-2021, 02:11 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,880 Likes on 2,191 Posts

Originally Posted by afisherunc
I imagine that a big part of the delay is every nations regulatory requirements.

Then ensuring there is consistent messaging worldwide and to individual governments.

992/718s held at port for up to 5 months last year due to EPA/CARB.

Porsche has the fix and knows what they’re going to do; notifying dealers, owners, government agencies...well that is a **** show

Here is a snippet of the USG NHTSA regulatory language:

You are required to submit a draft owner notification letter to this office no less than five days prior to mailing it to the customers. Also, copies of all notices, bulletins, dealer notifications, and other communications that relate to this recall, including a copy of the final owner notification letter and any subsequent owner follow-up notification letter(s), are required to be submitted to this office no later than 5 days after they are originally sent (if they are sent to more than one manufacturer, distributor, dealer, or purchaser/owner).
Old 03-31-2021, 02:22 PM
987SCoupe
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
I have a call scheduled with my SA later today, but he already gave me a heads up that he didn't have any new information as yet. He had thought they might see something coming in along with their new allocations. Leaving the customer-facing guys hanging out there on the front lines with no information to share, even if it's not as crisp as we'd like at this point, is unthinkable to me.

I would have to say the replace/repair question is my #1, but followed closely by the timeline, and the manner in which the car will be handled and stored in the interim. If they ramp up this program for a late May start and work in order of VIN sequence, I'm assuming it will be July-August before I see my new ride. Potentially just in advance of the 2022 cars, give or take (?) Also wondering if new sales will command MSRP (or close) as was the case when the currently-defective builds were spec'd.
Old 03-31-2021, 02:28 PM
FLCAYMAN
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 129 Posts

I feel for you guys. My car is a May build/June delivery and I’m told I’ll likely have it before the cars already on the ground awaiting repair.
The following users liked this post:
Bartleby7334 (04-01-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 02:33 PM
987SCoupe
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
I imagine that a big part of the delay is every nations regulatory requirements....
What's interesting about this (among everything else) is that most of us aren't yet the "owner" of the vehicle. It makes me wonder about the communications and transparency requirements for cars that are still in possession (and property of) the manufacturer.
The following 2 users liked this post by 987SCoupe:
BA73 (03-31-2021), Z06jerry (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 02:33 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,508 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Originally Posted by FLCAYMAN
I feel for you guys. My car is a May build/June delivery and I’m told I’ll likely have it before the cars already on the ground awaiting repair.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:53 PM
Clementine33
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by 987SCoupe
What's interesting about this (among everything else) is that most of us aren't yet the "owner" of the vehicle. It makes me wonder about the communications and transparency requirements for cars that are still in possession (and property of) the manufacturer.
Please feel sorry for those of us who have already paid for the car but have not yet taken possession. I am the owner, have paid tags, taxes & monthly payment and have no car. If Porsche gives monthly compensation, I doubt it will cover my financing cost. Meanwhile folks who haven't taken delivery will probably receive the same amount as I will.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale on 718 GTS, Spyder & GT4