Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Engine Ticking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2022, 05:56 PM
bt55krc
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 9-X-I
I'm not concerned how cold engine sounds.
This is kind of funny. I don't get ticking unless I turn on the AC or open a door. Looks like the engine load is causing this.

But not talking about the ticking most of users are hearing. What I didn't hear anywhere else is a random click noise coming from the left side. Happens only when the engine is warm.
First I thought of the heat pings. But all this is gone when the engine is turned off.

Anyone else is hearing this?
I too never hear the ticking when the engine is turned off. Problem solved!! ;-)
The following 2 users liked this post by bt55krc:
9-X-I (09-06-2022), abarthguy (09-08-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 05:58 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,324 Likes on 792 Posts

This is kind of funny. I don't get ticking unless I turn on the AC or open a door. Looks like the engine load is causing this.

But not talking about the ticking most of users are hearing. What I didn't hear anywhere else is a random click noise coming from the left side. Happens only when the engine is warm.
First I thought of the heat pings. But all this is gone when the engine is turned off.

I wish mine were that close to what I would describe as ticking. Listen to my video several posts above. Mine chirps and I can make it come and go on command. When it does stop making the sound it does so so instantaneously that I have to believe it is electronically actuated in some way.
Old 09-07-2022, 07:28 AM
h_4711
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There's no ticking at all. What you hear is the normal sound of gas exchange, combustion and exhaust. When slowed down to 20 % you can hear an additional periodical sound of about 15.000 Hz, which is near to audible recognition limit at normal speed. It probably is produced by the piezoinjectors of the cylinder bank near to the microphone.

This is a nice example of a non-ticking 982 - 4.0. It proves that oftenly complained idle speed ticking (about 3000 Hz) is NOT NORMAL and NOT part of the package.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
ticks9-x-1_mono_m.mp3 (40.0 KB, 69 views)
Old 09-07-2022, 08:21 AM
9-X-I
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by h_4711
There's no ticking at all. What you hear is the normal sound of gas exchange, combustion and exhaust. When slowed down to 20 % you can hear an additional periodical sound of about 15.000 Hz, which is near to audible recognition limit at normal speed. It probably is produced by the piezoinjectors of the cylinder bank near to the microphone.
This is a nice example of a non-ticking 982 - 4.0. It proves that oftenly complained idle speed ticking (about 3000 Hz) is NOT NORMAL and NOT part of the package.
Not sure if we're talking about the same thing?
I'm wondering what are the random chirps that sound like heat pings.
The periodic and rhythmic sound similar to sewing machine is kind of normal or at least more commong among the owners.
These chirps are not.
Old 09-07-2022, 10:13 AM
h_4711
Intermediate

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing?
I'm wondering what are the random chirps that sound like heat pings.
The periodic and rhythmic sound similar to sewing machine is kind of normal or at least more commong among the owners.
These chirps are not.
Sorry, but I can't safely determine any random chirps in your 11 seconds lasting soundfile.
Can you post the time position(s) within these 11 seconds, where you believe to hear uncommon random chirps ?
Old 09-08-2022, 02:52 AM
9-X-I
Advanced

Sorry, but I can't safely determine any random chirps in your 11 seconds lasting soundfile.
Can you post the time position(s) within these 11 seconds, where you believe to hear uncommon random chirps ?
First one is right on the start. Then at 1,5 seconds you have two. Then two again at 5 and one at 7, 9 an and 10.
There are 8 chirps altogether.
Old 09-08-2022, 09:58 AM
h_4711
Intermediate

Hi 9-X-I,
compliment on your good ears !
After your time specifications I could identify the "chirps" in your soundfile.
For me the chirps are much better to hear, when the sound is slowed down to 1/4 (25 %) .
Attached you find a modified soundfile and a video with the speed slowed down to 1/4 and an additional bandpassfilter
2100 Hz - 2400 Hz.
Soundtrack pictures show the 8 chirps and parts of the soundtrack with stretched times.
Chirps are random (as you wrote), have a frequency of about 9200 Hz and a duration of about 17 ms each.
Loudness differs significantly (if the microphone was not moved).

What is the reason of this noises ?
I actually really don't know. I have to think about it. Will check the soundfiles regarding my GTS 4.0, if there are similar chirps, I didn't identify up to now.

Attached Files
File Type: zip
9_x_1.zip (5.69 MB, 18 views)
The following users liked this post:
9-X-I (09-09-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 12:35 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

That is definitely not the same as the incessant chirping I'm talking about. Yours I would describe more as a click due to it not being a high pitched sound. And yours is far more random.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:17 AM
9-X-I
Advanced

Hi 9-X-I,
compliment on your good ears !
After your time specifications I could identify the "chirps" in your soundfile.
For me the chirps are much better to hear, when the sound is slowed down to 1/4 (25 %) .
Attached you find a modified soundfile and a video with the speed slowed down to 1/4 and an additional bandpassfilter
2100 Hz - 2400 Hz.
Soundtrack pictures show the 8 chirps and parts of the soundtrack with stretched times.
Chirps are random (as you wrote), have a frequency of about 9200 Hz and a duration of about 17 ms each.
Loudness differs significantly (if the microphone was not moved).

What is the reason of this noises ?
I actually really don't know. I have to think about it. Will check the soundfiles regarding my GTS 4.0, if there are similar chirps, I didn't identify up to now.
Haha, thanks. Not proud of that. On my first drive I heard a squeeky noise when opening the door (engine turned off). That too got my attention.
The recording isn't the best, it was made quickly with a telephone.
Thanks for the modified file and additional files!

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
That is definitely not the same as the incessant chirping I'm talking about. Yours I would describe more as a click due to it not being a high pitched sound. And yours is far more random.
Yes, this is random. I thought if this might be a little stone dancing somewhere in the exhaust system and will pop out eventually. But probably I'm wrong.
We'll see once I get more miles!
Old 09-09-2022, 12:56 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,203 Likes on 2,126 Posts

Man, you guys are in the weeds on this topic. I don’t want to be the “get out and drive” guy but I’m getting close lol.
The following 3 users liked this post by UncleDude:
Chester7 (09-09-2022), P-car-Vancouver (09-18-2022), SmallCapTrader (09-10-2022)
Old 09-09-2022, 02:04 PM
Chester7
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

If a line looks straight, it is straight. And if an engine makes a noise, the engine is making a noise. No amount of hand-wringing and hypothesizing is going to make the noise go away.
The following users liked this post:
P-car-Vancouver (09-18-2022)
Old 09-09-2022, 02:33 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chester7
If a line looks straight, it is straight. And if an engine makes a noise, the engine is making a noise. No amount of hand-wringing and hypothesizing is going to make the noise go away.
While all that may be true, collective minds theorizing about the same thing often result in a resolution or an answer. That’s how technical service bulletins come about.
Old 09-18-2022, 12:54 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

My car is going in this week for a meeting with my dealer tech friend. He has some information and some theories that I hope will culminate in a solution. I'll update as I get more.
Old 09-18-2022, 01:38 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,434 Likes on 799 Posts
Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
My car is going in this week for a meeting with my dealer tech friend.
He has some information and some theories that I hope will culminate in a solution. I'll update as I get more.
I'll be following you on that ^^^ ...................

T.
Old 09-18-2022, 03:03 PM
kmh0277
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

I've had ticking from the injectors and also a leaf that got sucked into the side intake and was being clipped by the fan. I was able to carefully remove the leaf with a vacuum attachment.

Anything beyond that is probably needs a visit to a shop/dealer.

Quick Reply: Engine Ticking Noise