Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Engine Ticking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 12:38 AM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Yep mine does it and I don’t have insulation and carpet on back wall so can really hear all mechanics at work. Very different than any of my GT3’s. But all is normal.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:07 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I swear if I hear any ticking from my Spyder when I get it next month I have having the oil changed to 5/50 sooner than later.
Bob,

I'll be interested to read your thoughts once you take delivery.

Terry
Old 06-08-2021, 11:11 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,055 Posts

I swear if I hear any ticking from my Spyder when I get it next month I have having the oil changed to 5/50 sooner than later.
Most attribute the sound to the high pressure injectors so changing oil not helpful in that regard
The following users liked this post:
porscheflat6 (06-22-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 11:16 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,427 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Bob,

I'll be interested to read your thoughts once you take delivery.

Terry
For sure - I will update this thread when I look (listen) into it.
tigerhonaker (06-08-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 11:27 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Nike968
I have also noticed this annoying sound on my GTS and it has been checked over by Porsche twice but they only say it is normal sound from this engine, not giving any further explanation to what the sound is.

I had a 981 GTS before and that did not sound like this in any way and I have been quite annoyed by the sound to be honest. I have from friends that are more knowledgeable regarding engines been time that the annoying sound is coming from the piezo injectors and the high pressure fuel pump.

Does anyone here know if the 992 carrera has got the same construction and makes the same sound? As I understand it the 4.0 is based on the 992 carrera engine..
My 992 ticked at start-up, but I only noticed it if I was outside of the car when cold. It seemed to go away after the car warmed up, so not sure if it’s the same thing. Anyway, it never bothered me.
Old 06-08-2021, 01:21 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,628 Likes on 2,701 Posts

FWIW, 5/50 oil is not warranty approved...
Old 06-08-2021, 03:04 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 439 Posts

Agree that oil isn't likely to reduce the injector clatter. I had to pay attention to mine this morning to see if it's still there and it is, but it's something you get used to pretty quickly.

A few years from now people will complain their new cars don't have that classic 718 injector sound.
tigerhonaker (06-09-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 09:25 PM
kevinofpa
AutoX

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, I have another one of those 718 GTS cars with the ticking sound that my dealer says is coming from the high pressure fuel pump driving the fuel injectors. Sounds very similar to a regular valve tap sound to me. It happens at low rpm and now that I'm more familiar with sound I can also hear it not just at idle but also when traveling at at a slower speed with objects around that help to reflect the sound. It's a very annoying sound actually. I called 1-800-PORSCHE to try to get more help but they did nothing but contact the dealer and simply relayed what the dealer told me, so that was absolutely worthless.

In addition to this ticking sound the exhaust sound changes when driving the car. It's sounds like the baffle is moving on its own when keeping the same rpm, typically around 2000 rpm. It switches back and forth between different sounds and I actually find this sound more annoying.

That being said, the sound when running wide open is phenomenal and seems to come from everywhere. I bought this car to a large extent because of the good sound that I expected and I got that. But I also got a couple of other annoying sounds along with it. My overall impression of Porsche has definitely taken a nose dive with this latest car.
The following 2 users liked this post by kevinofpa:
jake18 (06-21-2021), SpeedySpidey (06-21-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 09:33 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,427 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinofpa
Yep, I have another one of those 718 GTS cars with the ticking sound that my dealer says is coming from the high pressure fuel pump driving the fuel injectors. Sounds very similar to a regular valve tap sound to me. It happens at low rpm and now that I'm more familiar with sound I can also hear it not just at idle but also when traveling at at a slower speed with objects around that help to reflect the sound. It's a very annoying sound actually. I called 1-800-PORSCHE to try to get more help but they did nothing but contact the dealer and simply relayed what the dealer told me, so that was absolutely worthless.

In addition to this ticking sound the exhaust sound changes when driving the car. It's sounds like the baffle is moving on its own when keeping the same rpm, typically around 2000 rpm. It switches back and forth between different sounds and I actually find this sound more annoying.

That being said, the sound when running wide open is phenomenal and seems to come from everywhere. I bought this car to a large extent because of the good sound that I expected and I got that. But I also got a couple of other annoying sounds along with it. My overall impression of Porsche has definitely taken a nose dive with this latest car.
Don't take this the wrong way but you have some reading to do! There are many threads on these topics, especially the exhaust, which is normal.
kevinofpa (06-21-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 09:35 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,355 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinofpa

Too bad the ticking annoys you. Regarding the bolded are you sure that isn’t the cylinder deactivation working?

Last edited by UncleDude; 06-20-2021 at 09:48 PM.
kevinofpa (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 08:15 AM
jake18
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Learned a lot reading this thread. It should be mandatory reading for anyone ordering a GTS car. The loud ticking sound might get addressed in the next model series, which might be some sort of electric motor.

Last edited by jake18; 06-21-2021 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-21-2021, 05:35 PM
kevinofpa
AutoX

Got it. Thx Bob. I'm new to this thread and will try to educate myself.
Old 06-21-2021, 05:36 PM
kevinofpa
AutoX

Could be cylinder deactivation. I'll play around with that some. Thx!
Old 07-04-2021, 08:05 AM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

For those that have lived with this for a while any change of heart? If you hated it have you gotten used to it, or vice versa if you didn't mind do you now hate it, or best yet has anyone found a way to eliminate it?

thanks
Old 07-04-2021, 08:13 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,006 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by JP66
For those that have lived with this for a while any change of heart? If you hated it have you gotten used to it, or vice versa if you didn't mind do you now hate it, or best yet has anyone found a way to eliminate it?

thanks
never hated it , but for some reason I am noticing it less , may be partly because of the exhaust .
but still varies in intensity in a random fashion
n4v4nod (07-04-2021)

Quick Reply: Engine Ticking Noise