Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Engine Ticking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 09:06 AM
h_4711
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default GTS 4.0 Ticking noise

Want to hear my GTS 4.0 ticking ?

I've recorded and analyzed the sound of my GTS 4.0 in the attached video clip following JWC's recommandations in

https://www.pff.de/thread/2807893-mo...0-km/?pageNo=8

It's really quite easy (my recommendation -> try it by yourself !).

In 718_idle_low_e.avi
sound can be heard while the assigned soundtrack and comments are displayed (should be synchron in case the file is not converted).

Conclusions are : Annoying noise
-> has a frequency of about 3000 Hz
-> happens periodically once per revolution of the camshaft
-> lasts about 19 ms (including probably some internal sound reflections).

JWC contributes the ticking probably to one stucking lifter. I think there could be some other reasons too, but definitely it's not the injectors, not the A/C and not the exhaust system.
I've heard sounds of about ten GTS 4.0. One did not tick, the others produced more or less the same ugly sound as mine does. May be that there are other sounds with single GTS, but these are not the main widespread and oftenly complained noises.
Attached Files
File Type: avi
718_idle_low_e.avi (4.42 MB, 454 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by h_4711:
Boxtop (05-05-2022), unclemat (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 11:48 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,628 Likes on 2,701 Posts

Originally Posted by h_4711
Want to hear my GTS 4.0 ticking ?

I've recorded and analyzed the sound of my GTS 4.0 in the attached video clip following JWC's recommandations in

https://www.pff.de/thread/2807893-mo...0-km/?pageNo=8

It's really quite easy (my recommendation -> try it by yourself !).

In 718_idle_low_e.avi
sound can be heard while the assigned soundtrack and comments are displayed (should be synchron in case the file is not converted).

Conclusions are : Annoying noise
-> has a frequency of about 3000 Hz
-> happens periodically once per revolution of the camshaft
-> lasts about 19 ms (including probably some internal sound reflections).

JWC contributes the ticking probably to one stucking lifter. I think there could be some other reasons too, but definitely it's not the injectors, not the A/C and not the exhaust system.
I've heard sounds of about ten GTS 4.0. One did not tick, the others produced more or less the same ugly sound as mine does. May be that there are other sounds with single GTS, but these are not the main widespread and oftenly complained noises.
Very interesting and thanks for sharing not only your file but the link to the other forum! If these are indeed a sticking lifter and the cause is some type of dissolvable media in the lifter itself, perhaps some type of engine oil supplement designed to free up/clean the stuck the lifter?

Does Porsche offer anything like this?

Last edited by Westcoast; 05-05-2022 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-05-2022, 01:37 PM
h_4711
Intermediate

Hi Westcoast,
there are some oil additives in the market, designed to reduce or even stop valve ticking, among others from Liqui Moly. But as far as I know none of them has a Porsche approval, thus it may help, but is critical as it could result in affecting or even losing warranty.
Therefore I don't use them and even discourage from testing such additives.
Old 05-05-2022, 01:41 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hi Westcoast,
there are some oil additives in the market, designed to reduce or even stop valve ticking, among others from Liqui Moly. But as far as I know none of them has a Porsche approval, thus it may help, but is critical as it could result in affecting or even losing warranty.
Therefore I don't use them and even discourage from testing such additives.
Yes, that is why I asked if Porsche had such a product, I wouldn't recommend going out on a limb with non-approved additives in an engine under warranty either.
Old 05-05-2022, 07:51 PM
Boxtop
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for posting the detailed explanation and the recording. I have 3400 miles on my ‘22 BGTS 4.0 and I can safely say it does not make the same noise. I am not sure that it ever did.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:09 PM
SPYDERJAILA
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey all, I picked up the 2022 718 Spyder with 32 KM on the ODO, drove it and everything was fine with no ticking noises, super smooth, always kept the RPM under 4000. Then right when I hit 90 KM on the odometer, it starts making that flutter/ticking noise when the engine is under load, usually above 20 KM/H and above. At first it was REALLY loud, now it is quieter and more of a flutter than the loud ticking. It does not make this sound at idle.

I have notified the dealer, if anyone else has similar experience please share !

First file - ENGINE NORMAL UNDER 90 KM ON ODO
Second Third File - ENGINE STARTS TICKING AFTER 90 KM ON ODO

Last edited by SPYDERJAILA; 05-25-2022 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-26-2022, 07:58 AM
h_4711
Intermediate

Hey SPYDERJAILA,

Thanks for the sound files.
Unfortunately I can't give you any advice for your problem, I can hardly hear the differences - maybe some (probably quite harmless) component resonance.

But what is noticeable :
I've analyzed the short idle sequence at the beginning of VID_20220524 ... CONTINUOUS TICKING.mp3 with software Audacity :
There is really no idle ticking at all (about 3000 Hz, 1 x tick per camshaft revolution).
Your Spyder proves that not all 4 liter naturally aspirated engines tick at idle.

Nothing there with acceptable part of the package, advanced injection technology and it is NORMAL - as posted by some folks.
The idle ticking of some 718 with 4 liters engine is simply not state of the art and is an objectionable defect.

Last edited by h_4711; 05-26-2022 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Formatting Improvement
Old 06-09-2022, 08:12 AM
SPYDERJAILA
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey SPYDERJAILA,

Thanks for the sound files.
Unfortunately I can't give you any advice for your problem, I can hardly hear the differences - maybe some (probably quite harmless) component resonance.

But what is noticeable :
I've analyzed the short idle sequence at the beginning of VID_20220524 ... CONTINUOUS TICKING.mp3 with software Audacity :
There is really no idle ticking at all (about 3000 Hz, 1 x tick per camshaft revolution).
Your Spyder proves that not all 4 liter naturally aspirated engines tick at idle.

Nothing there with acceptable part of the package, advanced injection technology and it is NORMAL - as posted by some folks.
The idle ticking of some 718 with 4 liters engine is simply not state of the art and is an objectionable defect.
Hey h_4711 thanks for the analysis. It doesn't have this ticking sound at idle at all, it is only when the engine is in gear. When I am cruising and I disconnect the clutch the sound stops, when I engage the clutch and the revs are spinning it gets obnoxiously loud at lower RPM's. Attached another sound file, its SO LOUD.
Attached Files
Old 06-09-2022, 12:57 PM
swberry
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SPYDERJAILA
Hey h_4711 thanks for the analysis. It doesn't have this ticking sound at idle at all, it is only when the engine is in gear. When I am cruising and I disconnect the clutch the sound stops, when I engage the clutch and the revs are spinning it gets obnoxiously loud at lower RPM's. Attached another sound file, its SO LOUD.
O wow yeah I definitely heard that. There was another audio file at the beginning of the thread a gentleman posted that was very pronounced. I am running in my engine at the moment and have 510 miles on it. I do have a very faint ticking sound, but not always only sometimes and you really have to listen for it. Waiting to see if it will decide to ramp up and stay on or tone down or disappear completely. I am leaning towards the possibility of it not being normal just because of the intermittent nature of the issue with mine anyway. Seems like if it was the injectors it would be continuous, but I really don't know.

Last edited by swberry; 06-09-2022 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-09-2022, 09:46 PM
doug751
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

I hope that this puts your mind at ease. My brand new GTS 4.0 does this. I did not notice until I drive in quiet exhaust mode with the windows down. I rushed to dealer and demoed in garage. We tested by putting her under load with clutch from a dead stop and no gas, and also buy lightly blipping throttle. Every time you could hear the Injectors pumping fuel which sounds like a metallic click. It’s only happens in my car under light throttle you hear it when the exhaust is not overwhelming it. The dealer claimed that there was no problem, I decided to believe them, the car is in a warranty and move forward.

I hear at most driving slow and accelerating, and also when driving in the garage or next to walls. I really think it’s the injectors and a few other things in the engine and it’s normal and not anything to worry about. I’m not an expert I’m just giving my opinion on an experience. Thank you

Last edited by doug751; 06-09-2022 at 09:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jotaeme_ (06-10-2022)
Old 06-10-2022, 06:06 AM
h_4711
Intermediate

Default Low rev ticking

Hey SPYDERJAILA,

Very interesting soundfile !
I think, I could easily detect and separate the annoying noise (see attached video clip).

I cut a middle section of the soundfile, converted it from stereo to mono and analyzed it. Note : all sequences are normalized, that means : volume is amplified to - 0 dB.

Result is :

There is one and only one tick / camshaft revolution, when engine's speed in this middle section was about 1700 rpm (correct ?).
Tick frequency is about 4250 Hz, what is significantly higher than the well known idle ticking.

Thus ticking is related to one and only one cylinder and needs some engines load to become audible.
Cause could be a not sufficiently screwed spark plug, but unfortunately there are some other more severe reasons not as simple to be fixed (as long as the thread in the cylinder head is not damaged).

In post #94 of

-> https://www.pff.de/thread/2807893-mo...-km/?pageNo=14

JWC has published a complete list of possible reasons for such one cylinder related ticking.

My recommandation is to consult a Porsche service asap. And please post the final cause to satisfy (not only) my curiosity.
(And again : It is definitely not the injectors !).
Attached Files
File Type: avi
spj3.avi (4.88 MB, 34 views)

Last edited by h_4711; 06-10-2022 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 06-10-2022, 10:18 AM
h_4711
Intermediate

Default Injector ticking

As it is possible to extract sound components by suiting acoustic filters even if human ears cannot recognize them, here a virtual soundfile how injectors would sound at idle speed 700 rpm of a 6 cylinders engine - for all that folks who still believe to hear injectors "ticking", (35 sound pulses / second, if each injector fires only once per combustion stroke).
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
realinj.mp3 (28.1 KB, 64 views)
Old 06-10-2022, 10:46 AM
YTownSpyder
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Interesting. I have a 2021 Spyder and I’ve never noticed that sound so I’m not sure if it’s something they’ve changed or updated. That being said I’ll listen next time I take the car out.
Old 06-15-2022, 09:16 AM
brades
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

3,100 miles on my CGTS and the ticking is really loud now... it sounds terrible.
Old 06-15-2022, 12:49 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I love my Spyder, but it has to be one of the most noisy cars I have ever owned, all manner or clicks, pops, whirring from all over the car, you never know where it is going to come from!

Quick Reply: Engine Ticking Noise