Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Engine Ticking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2023, 10:55 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,476 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by 348SStb
I owned a 2021 Cayman GTS 4.0.
I currently own a 2022 Boxster GTS 4.0.
My Dad has a 2022 911 Turbo.

**ALL** the new Porsche Sports cars with 6 cylinders make these terrible noises: 982 4.0 cars or 992 cars. The noise comes from the high pressure fuel injectors. Someone posted a video (I believe in this thread or another) of the injectors on a bench test making the horrific sound.)

I noticed the noise when my 2021 Cayman was brand new. It’s an awful, terrible, unbecoming noise. The car sounds like a diesel truck at idle and low speed.

Unfortunately, it’s completely “normal.” It is what it is. There’s nothing more to do except hope that Porsche quits using this heinous fuel injector technique, changes it, and makes allocations available to those of us who would prefer stepping into a replacement car that doesn’t have the noise!

=====
Edit:

The 4-Litre GT engine in the GT cars does not exhibit this heinous injector noise.

This...my 2021 GT4 also had the same noise from mile 1...took the car the next day to the dealer as the sound in my mind was associated with engine problems. After many visits and call to PAG this was resolved as normal engine sound.
All the 982/992 I have heard make the same sound...some more pronounce than others or in different ways. But the sound is still there.
The GT4RS doesn't make this sound but it does make other sounds which are more acceptable......
Old 06-30-2023, 02:32 PM
GTSMeister
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

I can concur that these engines make all kinds of noise. I just changed the oil in the BGTS 4.0 and took a look underneath with the engine running to check for leaks after the filter replacement and fill. What a racket! It does make "extra" noise when in the 30-second start phase and then quiets down a little. From below it sounds like someone is in there with several wrenches banging away as fast as they can.

Mine does also make the noise outlined in this thread and the oil change made no difference. The tech at the dealer who I know well says all the flat sixes sound like sewing machines. It depends more on what sound insulation is in place and as you all know the GTS minimizes this by design.

BTW, I opened the drain plug and let that drain to a trickle before taking the filter out. I expected the filter housing to be full of oil and make a mess but it was super easy to keep upright on the way to the oil pan and then I determined it was only half full anyway. Probably some sort of siphon effect going on with the drain plug out and the oil fill cap loose. And the Boxster only has one panel under the engine to deal with, unlike most of the videos you find on YouTube. Plenty of fasteners though.
Old 07-01-2023, 09:10 AM
h_4711
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

**ALL** the new Porsche Sports cars with 6 cylinders make these terrible noises (#283 in this thread) ? No, they don't !
There are cars with no ticking at all, with one tick per camshaft revolution and with multiple ticks per camshaft revolution.

In IMG_0713.mov of Formulabob's car (#281 in this thread) there are 3 ticks per camshaft revolution (see attached analysis).
My own car produced only one tick per camshaft revolution (#151 in this thread), which disappeared more and more after 4000 miles and can no longer be heard today.
9-X-I's car doesn't tick at all (#228 in this thread) as well as apparently none of the cars tested by the motor press ticked and in Porsche's own sound example no ticking can be heard.

Tick frequency (one tick or multiple ticks per camshaft revolution) is always about 3000 Hz.
But another rhythmic ticking can be detected if equipment is capable to record this frequency :
It occurs 6 times per camshaft revolution and has a frequency of about 17.5 kHz - not hearable for most adults. This is very probably the real sound of the injectors.
(-> https://www.pff.de/thread/2808734-mo...zung/?pageNo=6 #37)

Randomness of ticking events excludes any normal engine function - particularly related to the injection system - from being the cause of the annoying noises. Not all cars tick and it is not normal, but an issue concerning a big number of cars.

As I can't see any other reasonable cause fitting to all observations, it is one or more stucking hydraulic lifters producing the annoying noises.
With my car a single stucking lifter has become free after some hours of operation. Each engine contains 24 hydraulic lifters. Totally about 5 % of the lifters seem to be stuck (average about one per car).

However that seems to be a 'cosmetic issue' : I couldn't find any report of a severe engine damage based on it. Engines seem to withstand increased valve clearances without any problems.
Please bear in mind that for a short period of time clearance is always increased for 1/4 of all valves after engine is started, as the strong springs of the opened valves of a stopped engine have compressed the assigned lifters and it takes a little time until they are filled up with motoroil again.
-> https://www.718forum.com/threads/dis...d-start.25277/ #18
Attached Files
File Type: avi
img0713_final.avi (2.85 MB, 37 views)
Old 07-02-2023, 08:08 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by 348SStb
Original poster and commentators,

Is this the noise you are talking about?
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/47m7nxnsb...oY730bQHa?dl=0

This noise absolutely kills me- I despise the noise and I think it is extremely unbecoming of any expensive car let alone of a top German brand.

I hear it driving though the neighborhood, through parking lots, and at urban speed. It clunks faster and faster according to engine speed. This is NOT your usual Porsche valve tick or GT3 tin-can sound.

In my history, I have ordered 2 naturally aspirated 911s (2015 and 2016 GTS, one manual one PDK) and one naturally aspirated 2016 Spyder brand new prior to ordering this car in addition to having owned countless other cars including used Porsches (2018 GT3 Touring, etc). Never heard anything like this.

At a stoplight, this noise usually occurs but it does have a mind of its own- will go off an on- Morse code, as someone said 😂 To me it sounds like flywheel chatter (I don’t know). What do we think it is? Why is the noise a bit random?

The dealer said the Porsche engineer said the sound is normal, they couldn’t tell me what it was, and they wouldn’t help beyond that.
That sounds awful and can't believe that Porsche considers it to be 'normal'. This noise thread and the engine failure thread aren't inspiring confidence about these 718 4.0 cars. So un-Porsche.

Last edited by hf1; 07-02-2023 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-02-2023, 05:32 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,343 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by h_4711
**ALL** the new Porsche Sports cars with 6 cylinders make these terrible noises (#283 in this thread) ? No, they don't !
There are cars with no ticking at all, with one tick per camshaft revolution and with multiple ticks per camshaft revolution.

In IMG_0713.mov of Formulabob's car (#281 in this thread) there are 3 ticks per camshaft revolution (see attached analysis).
My own car produced only one tick per camshaft revolution (#151 in this thread), which disappeared more and more after 4000 miles and can no longer be heard today.
9-X-I's car doesn't tick at all (#228 in this thread) as well as apparently none of the cars tested by the motor press ticked and in Porsche's own sound example no ticking can be heard.

Tick frequency (one tick or multiple ticks per camshaft revolution) is always about 3000 Hz.
But another rhythmic ticking can be detected if equipment is capable to record this frequency :
It occurs 6 times per camshaft revolution and has a frequency of about 17.5 kHz - not hearable for most adults. This is very probably the real sound of the injectors.
(-> https://www.pff.de/thread/2808734-mo...zung/?pageNo=6 #37)

Randomness of ticking events excludes any normal engine function - particularly related to the injection system - from being the cause of the annoying noises. Not all cars tick and it is not normal, but an issue concerning a big number of cars.

As I can't see any other reasonable cause fitting to all observations, it is one or more stucking hydraulic lifters producing the annoying noises.
With my car a single stucking lifter has become free after some hours of operation. Each engine contains 24 hydraulic lifters. Totally about 5 % of the lifters seem to be stuck (average about one per car).

However that seems to be a 'cosmetic issue' : I couldn't find any report of a severe engine damage based on it. Engines seem to withstand increased valve clearances without any problems.
Please bear in mind that for a short period of time clearance is always increased for 1/4 of all valves after engine is started, as the strong springs of the opened valves of a stopped engine have compressed the assigned lifters and it takes a little time until they are filled up with motoroil again.
-> https://www.718forum.com/threads/dis...d-start.25277/ #18
Yep. That's what I call my CHIRP noise. Sounds like crickets. Goes away (instantaneously) under light throttle from about 1200-1800 RPM and then is ON most of the rest of the RPM range.
The following users liked this post:
mikedee (09-11-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 08:14 PM
IrwinMFletcher
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
That sounds awful and can't believe that Porsche considers it to be 'normal'. This noise thread and the engine failure thread aren't inspiring confidence about these 718 4.0 cars. So un-Porsche.
Un-Porsche? Seems on brand to me. 996 IMS, 997 bore scoring, 997 GT3 coolant lines, 991 warping door cards, 991.1 GT3 engines go boom, 992 GT3 windows go boom… the list goes on and on.

and I say this as a Porsche owner.

Last edited by IrwinMFletcher; 07-02-2023 at 08:17 PM.
KRSOne (07-04-2023)
Old 07-12-2023, 02:19 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 1,115 Likes on 430 Posts

I just purchased a 2021 Spyder, and it makes the ticking noise so far - pretty noticeably.

I reread this thread in its entirety last night, which was painful.

I have a statistical sampling of owning 4 of these 718 4.0's since March of 2021:
  • 2021 Cayman GTS 4.0 Manual - Made the noise pretty noticeably. Per previous posts here, I was pretty upset about it shortly after taking delivery, I had it in at the Service Department for a week, just to hear that it was deemed to be a "normal noise". I put 18K miles on it in 12 months, and I don't recall that it changed much over that time.
  • 2022 Boxster 25 Manual - Made the noise to some degree, but it was not as loud and not nearly as annoying as the CGTS was. It never really bothered me, I forgot about it and it didn't annoy me, as I recall.
  • 2022 GT4 PDK - Pretty much the same experience as the Boxster 25. A similar sound was present, but not nearly as loud and annoying as was the case with the CGTS.
  • 2021 Spyder Manual - Just as prevalent and annoying so far as with the Cayman GTS 4.0, from what I recall.
Interesting to note that the two that were louder are 2021's, and the 2 that were quieter were 2022's. Did they make a change in the 2022 MY that decreased the noise? Or is this just a coincidence in my statistical sampling of 4?

Also the Spyder is 2.5 years old with only 2,400 miles on it. Looking at the CarFax history and with the low mileage - it obviously sat not being used for periods of time. That won't happen under my ownership. Will it reduce with use? There seems to be conflicting reports about the sound decreasing with use/mileage, including my experience with my 2021 CGTS. But the CGTS came straight from the boat to me, this one has sat off and on for a while, and now will be driven like it is meant to be driven.

Originally Posted by UncleDude
I can say that the 2021 GTS made more ticking sounds, and what I call the cricket sound than the 2020 Spyder I now own - it isn't even close TBH. And the GTS had 4000 more KM's on the odometer so it isn't that - just a different engine. I can hear the ticking but it is not as loud in or outside the car, and the cricket sound is completely absent. It didn't bother me on the GTS but I don't miss it. Perhaps different components??
@UncleDude - How is your third 718 4.0, with regards to the Engine Ticking Noise?

Last edited by IL_Pete; 07-12-2023 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-12-2023, 02:43 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,429 Likes on 2,225 Posts

Originally Posted by IL_Pete

@UncleDude - How is your third 718 4.0, with regards to the Engine Ticking Noise?
I'd rank my three this way from loudest to quietest, and to my ear the noise never changed as the KM's piled on:

2021 Cayman GTS, traded with 10,000 km (call this level 10)
2022 Spyder, 4000 km (call this level 7)
2020 Spyder, 15,800 km (the quietest but a decent margin and I put 7000 km's on it, sound didn't change) (call this level 5)

The Cayman was a real chirper LOL, I too think of it as the cricket sound.
Old 07-12-2023, 09:42 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UncleDude
I too think of it as the cricket sound.
I dropped my Spyder off for the first service the other day and heard three other chirpers in the area at the time. They all do it to some degree. And I dislike it very much. A bummer on what could otherwise be a perfect car.
Old 07-12-2023, 11:39 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,429 Likes on 2,225 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
I dropped my Spyder off for the first service the other day and heard three other chirpers in the area at the time. They all do it to some degree. And I dislike it very much. A bummer on what could otherwise be a perfect car.
I get it. There’s no point telling someone “not to worry about it”, if it bugs you it bugs you. I have my “things” too, thankfully this isn’t one of them.
tigerhonaker (07-13-2023)
Old 07-21-2023, 01:10 PM
sbsurfer
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 44 Posts

I had a 66 Chevelle built by Ridetech that had a 650hp n/a Lingenfelter LS3 in it with LS7 lifters...those were louder than my Porsche GT4RS lifters. First engine I had where the lifter noise sounded like an engine issue. It was great audio/mental prep for when I heard similar noise in my 4RS. I have found the closer I am to 9k the noise just seems to disappear.
Old 08-02-2023, 11:10 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,445 Likes on 2,355 Posts

I had my oil changed and we used 5/50 Mobil 1, which resulted in a much quieter engine. I would not consider it noisy before it was changed but I wanted to see if it had the same results as it did in my last P-car, a 2019 Targa GTS, and it did. I live in FL on the beach so it is always warm (or hot!) so the car never experiences cold temps.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bob Z.:
BoxKing (08-03-2023), sbsurfer (08-03-2023), SpyderSenseOC (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 10:24 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,693 Likes on 2,731 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I had my oil changed and we used 5/50 Mobil 1, which resulted in a much quieter engine. I would not consider it noisy before it was changed but I wanted to see if it had the same results as it did in my last P-car, a 2019 Targa GTS, and it did. I live in FL on the beach so it is always warm (or hot!) so the car never experiences cold temps.
Mobil 1 makes a 5w-50 C40 spec oil?
Old 08-03-2023, 10:26 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,445 Likes on 2,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Mobil 1 makes a 5w-50 C40 spec oil?
I doubt it.
Old 08-03-2023, 02:05 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member